How to get the look I want for my living room/kitchen
cupcakesss
Hello!

I am looking for some help with my living room/kitchen. So far I find it too white, empty and it lacks color and cohesion. There is no budget to replace any of the things that are already there, what I would really like are some tips and advice on how to make these different colors and furniture styles into one pretty living room/kitchen.

Shops that are available to me (I'm not in the US) and affordable are Ikea, H&M home and ZaraHome.

What I love is different texture, patterns, color, cohesion and a fun, feminine, eclectic style.

Here are the photos of my living room/kitchen. In the mornings I have sunlight in the kitchen and in the afternoon in the living room.
cupcakesss
I have already ordered this Ikea Lovebacken sidetable but havent received it yet so its not on the photo :)
May 26, 2014 at 4:31AM     
cupcakesss
And as a tip from someone on Houzz some time ago I will be paiting the wall behind the sofa a soft grey color.
May 26, 2014 at 4:35AM     
cupcakesss
I also own this zebra canvas by Ikea and it could go in the living room too (optional) :)
May 26, 2014 at 4:36AM     
Shakúff
I think putting the zebra canvas behind the wall would be lovely. And it would accent your black and white pillow there as well. :)

Have you thought about getting a chandelier over the table? I'm thinking something funky and sparkly.
I like that your walls are white - focuses on the colors of your furniture! But your walls are definitely bare. Maybe a funky display of pictures of mirrors?

Just some random thoughts. You have a gorgeous space! That blue chair is to die for. :) :)
May 26, 2014 at 8:06AM        Thanked by cupcakesss
sondramartina
small patterned rug and pillows
Upholster chairs with funky fabric

my home
Laneway House

Philadelphia Penthouse
May 26, 2014 at 8:43AM        Thanked by cupcakesss
sondramartina
In this picture just imagine your pink sofa
May 26, 2014 at 8:45AM        Thanked by cupcakesss
Madden, Slick & Bontempo, Inc
I think that I would put the zebra picture over by the dining table and recover the those chairs in a great pink fabric. Add some pillows to the sofa - love Sharkuff and Sondramartina's inspirational pictures. Maybe replace the lamp shade on your arching lamp with a black one.
May 26, 2014 at 8:52AM        Thanked by cupcakesss
lnicol8
I didn't have time to read all the comments so sorry of I'm repeating something...but for sure a large canvas above that couch, something mainly white with splashes of the deep pink and navy blue and for a third colour I would love to see lime green or lemon grass, just a little, then in cabinet have a couple green bowls maybe one pink...it will look cool. The items in the cabinet should be more modern than traditional for that final touch.
May 26, 2014 at 3:46PM      Thanked by cupcakesss
sluggodog
I think the couch needs some dramatic pillows (examples below) and a rug under the pink couch (ikea has one called Gaser which is a grey tone that will work with your walls when you paint it-- shown in last picture) . I would introduce more colours.. I see red or turquoise. One picture shows a pink couch with turquoise thrown in the mix. The light fixtures are gorgeous and I think changing out your kitchen light with something artsy would be nice. Depending on what colours you introduce.. I would also paint that massive white wall another colour..colour depends on what other things you might add to the room -- but it needs paint too. The beauty with eclectic.. is it's fun and has character..
May 26, 2014 at 4:32PM        Thanked by cupcakesss
cupcakesss
Thank you all so much for the great ideas!

@sluggodog, do you think the large wall should go in the same grey color so the two walls oposite match or should it be different?

@Madden, I love the idea of recovering those chairs, the white is very dull, I will start looking for fabrics.

@sondramartina, oh wow, that photo is really gorgeous!
May 27, 2014 at 1:02AM   
cupcakesss
@Madden, may I ask where you found the fabric of the picture on the right, with the flowers, its so lovely.
May 27, 2014 at 1:04AM   
cupcakesss
Do you maybe have any tips for a coffetable? The Lovbacken table from Ikea just arrived and looks really off as a coffeetable, its much too high. So, I am looking for a different spot to place this table (maybe cute with some plants on it or something??) and would love some help for a new coffeetable. Most wont fit because the space there is between sofa and blue chair is small. And so is the budget ;)
May 27, 2014 at 1:45AM   
cupcakesss
This maybe?
May 27, 2014 at 2:01AM     
sluggodog
For tables you can also do one of those ceramic looking tables that can double as a seat if you really had to -- I'm having a brain cramp and can't remember the name for them.. but they are in the picture below -- (pink tables).but I wouldn't do them in pink, they come in so many other colours or just white or black.
May 27, 2014 at 4:11AM      Thanked by cupcakesss
cupcakesss
@Sluggodog, I know them and they are really nice! I wouldnt know where to get them here though.

Painting the large wall (the one on the side of the cabinet and dining table) is something I can easily do now. Do you perhaps have suggestions for colors for this wall? And do I only paint the large wall or all walls in this color?
May 27, 2014 at 5:18AM   
cupcakesss

This pink wall color could be cute for the large wall and soft pink works well with light grey from the wall opposite. Would this match my furniture or am I going in the wrong direction here? ;)
May 27, 2014 at 5:20AM   
Madden, Slick & Bontempo, Inc
I did a google search on pink and navy fabric and it was one of the ones that came up. It is beautiful, but I'm not sure if you can buy it. Hopefully, you can find something similar. Here is a blog that features pink rooms and that fabric. http://patriciagrayinc.blogspot.com/2007/07/think-pink.html
May 27, 2014 at 5:30AM      Thanked by cupcakesss
sluggodog
Looks like the print on that pillow you like is by a designer called Suzani -- love all their stuff. Might be able to find similar on Etsy. The light pink wall colour does sound nice.. I think i would start with painting the one wall you want with the grey, add your pillows and tables… and take another look. Also take more pictures.. I think that's a good way to really 'see' a room. Suzani has beautiful upholstered chairs, spreads etc… google it.. beautiful stuff.
May 27, 2014 at 5:46AM      Thanked by cupcakesss
cupcakesss
I have been moving the furniture around to show some more options. With the sofa in front of the window I like how this had opened up the wall there to do something fun and colorful with but since I dont have a tv the sofa and chair are now pointed at nothing. There is room now for the coffeetable though. (you can see a sample of the grey paint on the wall there)

(sorry about the cat, he was asleep and didnt even wake when I was moving furniture and vacuming so now he made it onto Houzz ;))
May 27, 2014 at 6:20AM     
doctornancy
This is in a totally different direction than your planned gray walls, but I like the personality of orange and pink together - fun, funky. You're collecting some great pieces. It's going to be a fabulous room.
May 27, 2014 at 6:39AM        Thanked by cupcakesss
cupcakesss
With the painting I would like to start with the large wall since there needs to be some electrical work done in the small (grey) wall. They will break open part of the wall and only after thats fixed I can paint on that side.

I was wondering about the light pink wall though, would it not clash with the stronger pink hue of the sofa and the dark blue of the chair and curtains?
May 27, 2014 at 6:42AM     
cupcakesss
@doctornancy, oh wow, thats really cool too with the orange! I would never have thought to go in that direction but it looks wonderful. Very vibrant.
May 27, 2014 at 6:49AM     
doctornancy
I don't know where the rug is from. I googled "pink and orange rug" images and this was my favorite from the search. Best of luck!
May 27, 2014 at 6:58AM     
cupcakesss
How about I put the furniture as in the photo below and paint the wall a bright turqoise/teal color? and hang the black/white zebra canvas on there?
May 27, 2014 at 7:35AM     
myexecutiveranch
cupcakesss, I was thinking about bringing in a brighter blue for that wall (or aqua, turquoise or teal, whatever you like and suits your mood.) And I think you could definitely do something with the big lampshade--if looking for a replacement isn't an option, you could spray paint it or use decals in whatever colors/shapes you like. The stripes that drnancy put on looked great, too!
May 27, 2014 at 7:48AM     
Shakúff
I think a turquoise wall would look awesome! and would make that dark blue chair really pop!
May 27, 2014 at 7:56AM     
cupcakesss
Great, I'll do that. (might be back with some colorsamples later on though haha)

And the long wall opposite? Should it be painted too? In that same teal/turquoise or something different? I still like the idea of a soft pink for that wall and to let it run through to above the kitchen window. Would that work? Or would something else be better? Or should I let the blue paint be on all walls thoughout the living room/kitchen?
May 27, 2014 at 8:04AM   
cupcakesss
Here are some paintsamples in different shades of blue photographed without natural light, all with lamps. The light in the kitchen is much brighter than the living room. Do you think there is a color among them that would look great? For one wall or the two opposite walls or the entire room? Thanks to all for your help!
May 27, 2014 at 1:19PM   
sluggodog
Well you know I love the turquoise.. You could also go with a grey on the large wall -- but you did say you love colour -- so if you love the soft pink -- go for it!. I think turquoise on all the walls might feel heavy and you might have to change your curtains if you do that. The other option is still painting that small wall near the pink couch a darker grey (and put your zebra print there) and painting the big wall turquoise.. it would make that armoire pop. Second picture shows the darker grey I was thinking. BTW..Your Ikea table works well in that corner.

Turquoise chips i am leaning towards…. are C and N.. Some of the other chips have either a purple or green tone to them..at least in the pictures.
May 27, 2014 at 1:47PM        Thanked by cupcakesss
pgteach
In the first batch of swatches I like the top large swatch some of the swatches are too green and a couple two dark. How about if you taped off a large rectangle by the table and paint that your chosen color cause I still like the white walls, but also paint that wall behind the couch two.
May 27, 2014 at 2:02PM        Thanked by cupcakesss
leemiller
I would keep the walls white and add a big photo or painting with some pinks, blues and greens or yellows. Then for a coffee table I like the idea of something glass topped or clear lucite so it doesn't feel heavy in the space. Put some fun colorful things in top of it, maybe to bring in silver or gold - then I would switch that lamp's shade to a silver or gold linen.
May 27, 2014 at 2:17PM        Thanked by cupcakesss
cupcakesss
Paintsample C is a very bright color, wouldnt it be too harsh or would that look nice? I've added a picture of the room when the curtains are closed, which gives a large dark blue area so perhaps some bright colors will cheer things up :)

I will post photos of the samples in daylight tomorrow too.
May 27, 2014 at 2:28PM   
sluggodog
I do also like the paint choice pgteach selected. If you can get sample pots of 2 or 3 that you narrowed down to and try them first -- that always helps.
May 27, 2014 at 3:50PM   
p42baker
I think you might want to go with a huge Suzani painting or textile on the large wall. Maybe in hot pink , yellow, navy and white. If you paint it yourself, it would be very inexpensive, or buy and frame a textile on ebay or even buy some Suzani wallpaper. Here is a link to how the Colony Springs Hotel used Suzani's for their decor:vhttp://hotelchicblog.com/suzani-chic-at-the-colony-palms/
May 27, 2014 at 4:19PM        Thanked by cupcakesss
cupcakesss
@pgteach, do you mean the light blue color? (aqua) Color I
May 28, 2014 at 12:50AM   
cupcakesss
@leemiller, would a glass or clear coffeetable not look 'off' since the dining table is also glass and with my small living room they are very close together. I am afraid it might get too 'cold' with all the glass...
May 28, 2014 at 12:51AM   
cupcakesss
Here are the colors in daylight. (rainy day though) First photo is of the kitchen, other living room. :)
May 28, 2014 at 12:54AM     
Robin Thomas
My favorite idea is the gray paint wall color and a large color picture. Add a colorful rug and fun pillows (like the black & white zebra idea) y. Then ground it with a black lampshade and black base coffee table and glass top. I think the glass will tie the two rooms together and allow the color to come through without taking up visual space. I am not loving the pink idea or the aqua for paint with the blue drapes. I do agree brining in the pink or another accent color to some modern pieces on the cabinet would be fabulous. Take your color queues from the picture or rug. Great start!!!
May 28, 2014 at 1:57AM        Thanked by cupcakesss
cupcakesss
@Robin Thomas, thank you for your tips!

What do you think I should do with the kitchen area? It is the most dull of the entire room. Should I add paint there or other decor for color?
May 28, 2014 at 2:17AM   
sondramartina
I would get a rug and pillows first and then paint. Agree with Robin about wall colour. I would not rush painting it yet . Add something colourful on dining table and get the colourful art for LR and for empty wall in the kitchen .
May 28, 2014 at 3:43AM     
sluggodog
You are going to get so many varying opinions on here, so go with your gut.. you can always change paint. But, i do agree by adding pillows and art and then painting. Another thought, what ever you paint the small wall near your couch, you can carry it over to you kitchen -- paint around the window and as well, on the left wall behind the fridge, keep the big wall white and add your art work or a huge free standing mirror. Just a side comment and I don't know if your curtains always stay like that -- but they are pulled too tightly open against the walls, I would pull the curtains slightly closed, so they are just touching the sides of the windows/door. So far, your choices have been great.. keep going with it. :-)
May 28, 2014 at 4:57AM        Thanked by cupcakesss
leemiller
I don't think glass will be cold with all of that color. I think it will help take up less space visually and make the area seem larger, with your couch taking up so much space I wonder if a wood table doesn't make it look small/cluttered? You could also do a pretty base that would be more feminine. I'd probably look for something vintage, but I personally always like to add something vintage to a room. The wall color is one way to go, but I'm not crazy about the aqua/turquoise and the navy + pink.
May 28, 2014 at 5:00AM        Thanked by cupcakesss
leemiller
Have you thought about moving that blue and white pillow to the couch, with the other one. That plus the throw and leaving the navy chair bare? I think it would tie your space together more.
May 28, 2014 at 5:01AM     
leemiller
Oh what about some wood craving for that wall space? Something dark - it would tie in with your antique looking piece. It would need to be pretty big though.
May 28, 2014 at 5:03AM   
leemiller
May 28, 2014 at 5:05AM      Thanked by cupcakesss
May 28, 2014 at 5:05AM   
leemiller
I love something like the above, with all the empty space, and a dark color that matches your other piece.
May 28, 2014 at 5:06AM   
cupcakesss
@Sluggodog, haha you are right, so many opinions and ideas, its hard to decide ;) I like the idea of how you suggested painting the kitchen and the wall near the sofa. And I have closed the curtains a little more as you suggested.

@leemiller, do you have different suggestion for the color? What would you go with?
May 28, 2014 at 5:07AM   
cupcakesss
@leemiller, the woodcarvings on the photos are very beautiful but maybe too 'heavy' and masculine for my taste. I would prefer to go more quirky, feminine and colorful. :)
May 28, 2014 at 5:11AM     
cupcakesss
Current images of the room. :)
May 28, 2014 at 5:14AM     
cupcakesss
What do you think of the empty wall now? Most people have a tv or fireplace or something like that that the furniture is 'pointed' towards but I have neither so it looks a bit odd to me.
May 28, 2014 at 5:17AM   
cupcakesss
Any of these right for upholstering the white dining chairs?
May 28, 2014 at 5:18AM     
sondramartina
I would keep the original sofa layout
Can armoire go somewhere else?
May 28, 2014 at 5:35AM      Thanked by cupcakesss
Madden, Slick & Bontempo, Inc
Yes, you are going to get a lot of different opinions. So go with what you like. But, I prefer the original layout also and I wouldn't rush to paint the walls. Get the pillows or rug you like and then pick a color. I actually like the pink, navy, white color scheme..
May 28, 2014 at 5:50AM        Thanked by cupcakesss
Shakúff
I like the idea of reupholstering the white dining chairs in a funky print! The ones you listed could definitely work. My eye is going towards the first on the 2nd row. :)
May 28, 2014 at 6:36AM        Thanked by cupcakesss
cupcakesss
@sondamartina, I could put the sofa back where it was before but I dont think I can move the cabinet, there isnt a large enough space anywhere else I think.

@Madden, so no third color for the pillows/accessoiries? Like a turquoise or maybe yellow? Would different shades of blue and pink work for the art/pillows etc or should it stay within the same hue?

@Shakuff, You mean the yellow/orange flowers on blue background? That would be really cute with maybe something pink put on the table! :)
May 28, 2014 at 6:49AM   
sluggodog
Both couch layouts work -- but prefer first as well. Beside the Armoire, will a large free standing mirror fit? If you could find one, and paint it with a pop of colour -- turquoise?. I still like painting the wall behind the couch a different colour -- even a dark grey with the zebra print, add your cushions (pull in turquoise in the patterns) and it will start coming together and you can build on that. :-). Then if you still feel the need to paint that big white wall.. you still can.
May 28, 2014 at 7:11AM        Thanked by cupcakesss
cupcakesss
Here the furniture is back the way it was. I think the Lovbacken sidetable is too high to function as a coffeetable, but where else to put it... :)

@Sluggodog, thanks for your wonderful ideas. So just put the zebracanvas behind the sofa (on a white or grey wall) and add turquoise accents through out the room.

How about some pink paint in the kitchen above the window and on the wall above the fridge? Some aqua/turquoise for the kitchen lamp perhaps and then one of the fabrics below for the dining chairs... :) What do you think?
May 28, 2014 at 7:41AM   
cupcakesss
Some more fabric :)
May 28, 2014 at 7:43AM   
Shakúff
Yeah, definitely! Maybe a pink vase or decorative bowl to pull the pink in. :) The turquoise mirror idea would be awesome too!

Since that table isn't really a coffee table, it looks a little awkward. I would move the couch and side table back the way it was.
May 28, 2014 at 8:21AM     
Madden, Slick & Bontempo, Inc
Here's a great pink and navy room I found on pinterest. I know it is a larger room than what you have, but I like the way they kept it light and bright with the white walls and the glass tables. I like the shots of black too. You need a really big piece of artwork above your couch!
May 28, 2014 at 3:38PM        Thanked by cupcakesss
Patty Scott
Yes and the bowl of fresh flowers on the glass table makes for a feminine touch!
May 28, 2014 at 3:58PM     
Madden, Slick & Bontempo, Inc
A couple of Monet's especially the second one
May 28, 2014 at 4:08PM     
sluggodog
When I look at some of the inspiration photos from your "living room" album, most of the rooms have white walls and the colours come from couches, pictures, pillows, rugs, flowers, vases, books. I think sometimes we 'over think' what to do, and our original ideas are the ones we go back to. I do like the room suggested above.
May 28, 2014 at 4:31PM     
cupcakesss
Thank you all so much! You are right about overthinking it, sluggodog. For other rooms I have bought things or painted in colors that later didnt work at all and with a small budget there is no room for buying the same item twice so I worry about getting the wrong things a bit. A few more people to look at the room with me helps a lot :)

I think Ikea has a table similar to the one on your photo Madden. The edges are black but some gold spraypaint should sort that out ;) I'll see online if they still have it and measure to see if it would fit in my LR.

I'm afraid I couldnt get the pretty fabric I wanted so I'll see about something else in blue.
May 29, 2014 at 1:15AM     
cupcakesss
@Madden, could you post the link to the pin? Thank you
May 29, 2014 at 1:21AM   
cupcakesss
It comes in a round version too.
May 29, 2014 at 1:47AM     
pollyannagal
I like the addition of turquoise to the pink and navy, and also agree that the sofa is best in the original position. The round coffee table would work best in a small space as you can easily move around it without catching your shins in the corners. The rectangular ones you show work best as end tables - I am also an IKEA shopper!

Have you thought about painting the dresser? It would be a perfect candidate for a coat of Chalk Paint ( Google Annie Sloan paints if you're not familiar). They don't need priming so are super quick and easy to use and there is a fab turquoise colour that would look amazing on your dresser and bring out the carving details. I have only recently discovered these paint and love them!
May 29, 2014 at 1:55AM        Thanked by cupcakesss
Madden, Slick & Bontempo, Inc
Here's that pin. I like the round table the best too. Spray painting it looks like it worked great! I've been thinking about the fabric for the chairs - I kind of like that one in your first group with the pink and turquoise flowers. It brings the pink into the dining room and then you could take the turquoise into the kitchen on just that back wall. I actually like the whole third row down and the whole third row over. Turquoise accents would be perfect. If you can't find some artwork for over the couch (only get something you really like), framing the suzani fabric like p42baker posted earlier is an inexpensive and great idea. Can I ask how wide that wall is behind the couch? http://www.pinterest.com/pin/395050198534532485/
May 29, 2014 at 4:37AM      Thanked by cupcakesss
May 29, 2014 at 6:18AM        Thanked by cupcakesss
cupcakesss
This is how it looks right now. The zebracanvas I put on the back of the couch just to give an idea of what it would look like on that wall. I got a new pillow and have ordered the round glass coffeetable. It will be here in about 2 weeks :)

The pillow ended up more aqua with mint on the edges I think but its still a fresh and pretty color.

@Madden, I like what you suggested and painting the accentcolor around the kitchen window. I agree that that would be more than enough paint. The fabrics you suggested are very pretty, I'll check out that website!
May 29, 2014 at 7:00AM     
Madden, Slick & Bontempo, Inc
The little table looks nice over there under the window.
May 29, 2014 at 11:11AM     
Shakúff
Agreed! It looks a lot better like that! I'd prefer the round coffee table so I'm happy you ordered that! :)
The blue pillow is nice! That could be a nice vibrant accent color for the wall.
May 29, 2014 at 11:37AM   
cupcakesss
For the blue around the kitchenwindow I bought this aqua color. Unfortunately wallpaint only comes in large tins here and the selection for smaller amounts is well... small haha But I found this pretty fresh aquablue color that I like. Do you think it works with the rest of the room? Yay or nay? Paint or return? ;) Thank you all so much!
May 30, 2014 at 1:29AM   
cupcakesss
photo
May 30, 2014 at 2:11AM   
Madden, Slick & Bontempo, Inc
It's hard to tell color on the computer, but it looks like a pretty color. It is just a small space, so if it doesn't work, it shouldn't be too hard to repaint. If you are still looking for artwork, check out these kits from Marimekko - they include the fabric and stretcher frame to create all kinds of interesting artwork. Here is one example, but there are lots to choose from. http://txtlart.com/vattenblankkit.html
May 30, 2014 at 4:52AM        Thanked by cupcakesss
cupcakesss
You're right, I'll just get started on the painting of the kitchen this weekend and I'll update with a photo once its finished. I'll also look at the website you suggested Madden, the example looks very colorful and pretty.
May 30, 2014 at 5:03AM     
cupcakesss
The textile art shop unfortunately doesnt ship outside of the US. :)
May 30, 2014 at 5:12AM   
Madden, Slick & Bontempo, Inc
I don't know where you are, but they do do some international shipping - Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Europe...etc. Marimekko, itself, is a Finnish company. So, if you are at all interested, their product must be available outside the US.
One site - http://www.alwaysmod.com/marimekko-cotton-fabrics.html
May 30, 2014 at 5:19AM   
cupcakesss
Ran into some pillowcovers that have turquoise, blue and pink in them. Does my blue chair need one to bring the color there too? Or is the one blue pillow enough?
May 30, 2014 at 5:49AM   
Madden, Slick & Bontempo, Inc
I like those - especially the third one.
May 30, 2014 at 7:30AM     
Gray & Walter, Ltd.
You need some peppy throw pillows and I would change the drapery panels. What about a blue and white zig-zag pattern? Have you considered painting the long wall that connects the entire room navy blue?
May 30, 2014 at 7:45AM   
cupcakesss
I had some time today and painted the kitchen. I`ll post photos later. :)
May 30, 2014 at 8:01AM   
cupcakesss
What do you mean by peppy?
May 30, 2014 at 8:01AM   
cupcakesss
The color came out brighter than I expected, which I like. What do you think of the color and how it works in the room? Should I paint the small wall above the fridge in the same color or leave it as it is?
May 30, 2014 at 8:31AM     
cupcakesss
better photo
May 30, 2014 at 8:35AM     
Shakúff
Definitely paint the wall above the fridge! :) I love watching the transformation. :)
I like the 3rd pillowcase with the white, pink, and blue as well! Adds some fun patterns!
May 30, 2014 at 8:41AM        Thanked by cupcakesss
sondramartina
I like it. Agree with Shakuff, paint the fridge wall too. Then I would stop and try just some art on opposite wall*(dining table)
May 30, 2014 at 9:01AM      Thanked by cupcakesss
pollyannagal
Yes, paint above the fridge as that wall has the tiles and it will make the kitchen space look bigger. Looking good!
May 30, 2014 at 9:26AM      Thanked by cupcakesss
cupcakesss
finished!
May 30, 2014 at 10:08AM     
Madden, Slick & Bontempo, Inc
Pretty!
May 30, 2014 at 10:12AM        Thanked by cupcakesss
Shakúff
Very pretty! I'd put a colorful small hutch or something by the fridge to fill that empty space with more color and also to make it more functioning. For some reason I'm envisioning yellow, but that's just me. :P
May 30, 2014 at 10:20AM   
cupcakesss
@Shakuff, could you show me an example photo of what you mean? Thanks!
May 30, 2014 at 10:31AM   
Madden, Slick & Bontempo, Inc
Maybe a moveable island or cart for more counter space?
May 30, 2014 at 10:33AM      Thanked by cupcakesss
Shakúff
What actually came to mind was something like: http://37.media.tumblr.com/ffda73e8e9d1e2f620971fa6f6823d3c/tumblr_n5bqvsDoAc1s3qnw9o1_1280.jpg
for some reason. I just saw it on a blog the other day and thought it was adorable!

But Madden's idea is great too! Just some sort of storage unit that will fill that space with some more color and also be useful. :) Maybe Ikea or another home store near you has a Kitchen Island/Cart that is colorful or could be painted.
May 30, 2014 at 11:00AM        Thanked by cupcakesss
BacksplashIdeas.com
A Chrome or Brushed Aluminum color in a fun, modern finish would look great when using the Fasade 4'x8' panel. It is always fun to be able to experiment with different colors!
May 30, 2014 at 11:11AM      Thanked by cupcakesss
Madden, Slick & Bontempo, Inc
That is an adorable piece Shakuff posted.
May 30, 2014 at 11:16AM   
cupcakesss
@Shakuff, that yellow cabinet is so cute!! I will be keeping my eye out for something for that space. (and maybe paint it yellow, it looks really fun) :)
May 30, 2014 at 11:17AM   
cupcakesss
New pillow included! To be honest I am not crazy about it, what do you think? Unfortunately I already cut the tags off :(
May 31, 2014 at 4:27AM   
cupcakesss
You like the new pillow Madden? Or you give a thumbs up to my comment? haha
May 31, 2014 at 6:43AM   
sluggodog
I would like to see that new pillow right beside the turquoise one.. Are there any BIG garden centres where you live? I was at Terra Gardens (Canada) and they sometimes have some very colourful pillows. I saw some yesterday that would be perfect for your space.
May 31, 2014 at 7:24AM   
leemiller
Like the turquoise paint. For that spot that isn't painted, the wood over the cabinets what about getting something like a piece of wood cut into a shape - arrow maybe - and either painting it turquoise or another color?
May 31, 2014 at 7:25AM   
leemiller
Does the navy chair need a pillow? I don't think it is adding anything and it just feels like one too many pillow colors and patterns to me. I'd rather see a repeat of one your already have so it is part of a pair. Picking out pillows is such a pain IMO. They should have some mini design service that picks out perfect pillows for people!
May 31, 2014 at 7:27AM   
Madden, Slick & Bontempo, Inc
cupcakesss....I swear there was a different comment there before regarding you keeping us posted. Weird. Anyway, I agree with previous comments that the new pillow would look good on the couch with the turquoise one,and that you may want to repeat some of the pillows.
May 31, 2014 at 8:11AM   
cupcakesss
Are the pillows better like this?
May 31, 2014 at 8:39AM     
cupcakesss
@sluggodog, there is a gardencentre near here, not a huge one but they do have colorful pillows there. Do you think the space needs more of them?

@leemiller, I like the idea of adding some turquoise to that spot above the kitchen cabinet. I will look out for something.
And a pillow design service is definately a must, this is more difficult than expected! LOL :)

@Madden, which pillow should I repeat? The blue one?
May 31, 2014 at 8:42AM   
Madden, Slick & Bontempo, Inc
I think the pillow looks much better on the couch. It was kind of overwhelmed by the navy blue of the chair. Since you like bright color, I would repeat the blue pillow. Can I ask about the floorlamp - it kind of seems like it has a mind of it's own. Can you put it further back in the left corner by the window and position so that it doesn't come out into the room so far?
May 31, 2014 at 9:18AM      Thanked by cupcakesss
cupcakesss
moved it :)
May 31, 2014 at 9:44AM     
cupcakesss
So, get another of the blue pillows and put it on the right side of the sofa?
May 31, 2014 at 9:45AM   
sluggodog
I agree with a repeat of the blue, and think it would look good placed behind the patterned one on the right. Yes, wish there was a pillow service or a pillow genie! LOL. When I added pillows to my couch - I can't tell you how many I brought home because it's hard to tell at the store :-) Not urgent or anything. more of a side note.. but the wood trim around the window -- are you allowed to paint that? I would paint it white and this will make the window look bigger. Looking good…
May 31, 2014 at 11:15AM        Thanked by cupcakesss
pollyannagal
I'd put a pink pillow on the chair to link it to the sofa.
May 31, 2014 at 11:51AM        Thanked by cupcakesss
cupcakesss
@Sluggodog, yes that wood trim will be painted white in a few weeks. (the outdoor woodwork needs to be painted too so I'll get that all done at the same time then) Next week I'll look for another one of those blue pillows.
May 31, 2014 at 12:30PM     
cupcakesss
@Sluggodog, I'd love to see a picture of your LR with your pillows. (if you dont mind ofcourse) :)
June 1, 2014 at 5:35AM   
cupcakesss
Wow, your room is so beautiful, those large windows are amazing. One of those big off white couches would look really nice there. What color do you have on your wall?
June 1, 2014 at 9:17AM   
sluggodog
Thanks -- but I don't' feel the room reflects what I would really want.. but hey. The colour on the wall is from a brand of paint called C2 and the colour is Artesian. I think going with a lighter couch will keep the room light as well -- if I go a darker couch (walls and carpet will have to change). http://www.uspaintsupply.com/paint/c2-paint/c2-colors/Artesian-C2-473/
June 1, 2014 at 9:52AM   
cupcakesss
I was just in time, it was the last one of these pillows they had left! :)
June 2, 2014 at 6:35AM     
cupcakesss
What do you think of this fabric for the dining chairs?
June 3, 2014 at 2:03PM     
Madden, Slick & Bontempo, Inc
Very pretty! Is it a big print?
June 3, 2014 at 2:12PM   
pollyannagal
You're on a roll now and it's all coming together.
June 3, 2014 at 2:37PM   
sluggodog
I like the pattern too, it is pretty.
June 3, 2014 at 3:43PM   
Madden, Slick & Bontempo, Inc
Have you checked out Overstock.com? They have tons of things and they ship internationally. http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/nuLOOM-Handmade-Alexa-Chevron-Wool-Round-Rug-6-Round/8283236/product.html
June 4, 2014 at 5:50AM      Thanked by cupcakesss
cupcakesss
No, thanks for the tip Madden! I'll check out the website.
June 4, 2014 at 8:30AM   
Shakúff
That fabric for the dining chairs would be perfect!!
June 6, 2014 at 6:33AM     
cupcakesss
The fabric would have been perfect but unfortunately with the shipping added it was too expensive. Today I found another fabric at a local fabric market (for 1/4th the price) that has the light blue and the pink. The print is small making it 'pop' less but it adds some color to the dining table. Seeing the fabric now on the chairs I like it but I dont LOVE it. Maybe something to put on the table will bring it together. I definately prefer it over the old white covers (which got dirty quickly)
June 6, 2014 at 8:15AM   
sondramartina
And you already upholstered the chairs?
and painted! You are on a roll.
Ikea has nice cheap fabrics.
June 6, 2014 at 8:50AM   
pollyannagal
They look great, and when you want a change you can try a different fabric. Well done.
June 6, 2014 at 9:13AM   
BetterWall
You've gotten a lot of great ideas, but I'll offer one more, because what we offer is really quite unique. We at BetterWall represent 30+ major art museums, selling their authentic street banners to people to put in their homes as spectacular wall art. What about an Yves Laurent "Feature Dress" from the de Young Museum in S.F. The colors on the banner would tie in with the the fuchsia and browns you have in your space.
June 6, 2014 at 10:49AM   
Madden, Slick & Bontempo, Inc
The fabric is very pretty and you are moving your colors around the space. I bet it looks great with the kitchen color! You just need something on the table to brighten things up. Maybe a bright colored tray in one of your colors. And maybe a large mirror on the wall?
Michelle's Master Bedroom.
Ocean Escape Girls Bedroom
June 7, 2014 at 4:29AM   
ray0729
Blue LR chair huge can you lose it? Or at least tie into by adding pink pillow like other poster said. If you painting that wood upper section in kitchen why white paint it same as rest. Brighter turquoise n pink on kitchen chairs print looks purple.
June 7, 2014 at 5:58AM   
cupcakesss
So this is what the dining table looks like now. I'd like to do some diy with the lamp as its now a white lampshade on a white wall. The vase is also rather plain. I was thinking of taking some different sized and shaped glass jars/bottles and painting them. What do you think?
June 7, 2014 at 8:42AM   
cupcakesss
Like this :)
June 7, 2014 at 8:45AM     
sluggodog
You are very crafty! I like the painted vase with flower ideas. Pinterst has some great DIY lamp shade ideas I was looking at. The wooden tray looks good too, another suggestion is spray painting it, but you may not need it there when you add the bottles.
June 7, 2014 at 9:33AM      Thanked by cupcakesss
cupcakesss
What colors shall all I go for? All in the same color or different ones?
June 7, 2014 at 9:56AM   
cupcakesss
What do you think of one of these images for the wall behind the table? And how big? How wide should the print be compared to the width of the part of the table thats against the wall?
June 7, 2014 at 9:58AM     
cupcakesss
Or maybe multiple smaller images on the wall? Or smaller images surrounding one of these larger ones? :) So many possibilities!
June 7, 2014 at 9:59AM     
Madden, Slick & Bontempo, Inc
I think that I would just paint the tray a bright pink and not have the table settings. Try one of the place mats in the tray to kind of get an idea. I like both of the prints (probably favor the first one) - I wouldn't go any wider that the table.
June 7, 2014 at 10:40AM     
cupcakesss
Thanks Madden. I don't normally have the table set but did so for the photo to give a better picture of what it looks like. I like the first print too.
June 7, 2014 at 11:04AM   
cupcakesss
This is the tray with the place mat in it :)
June 7, 2014 at 11:08AM   
Madden, Slick & Bontempo, Inc
I like it better - what about you?
June 7, 2014 at 12:41PM   
cupcakesss
I agree, it looks better this way. When painting, I'm not sure what shade of pink to go for. A bright hot pink might be cool and draws attention but it wouldn't be the same as the sofa (does it have to be?) Maybe something yellow added there would be nice? Or gold?
I changed my mind on the prints, maybe its better to go with something more abstract or some still live or something. Do you know of any sites where you can get large size downloads or prints for cheap? I've been looking on Etsy but can only find pretty printables in small sizes so far.
June 7, 2014 at 12:48PM   
sluggodog
I think I would go fuchsia pink and I like the idea of the white painted vases with light pink flowers in it OR the combination of the first picture you showed with the blue/yellow/white. OR.. if you like Orchids, you can get a pretty pink Orchid for the table. With the print -- well art is subjective, so as much as you want to fill that space, I would wait until you find something that just makes you want to have it -- so every time you walk into that space, you don't second guess it. IMHO :-)
June 7, 2014 at 1:35PM        Thanked by cupcakesss
cupcakesss
Well, I have been second guessing that dining chair fabric every time I walk into the room haha. I agree with it looking too purple. Close up it has the perfect colors for the room but generally people don't look real close up to the fabric of the dining chairs. ;) So I am getting a plain turquoise fabric and reupholster them. What do you think? It will work much better with the bright pink tray. Maybe bring some yellow into it?

Will a turquoise framed mirror still work if I do this? I'm afraid that it might become too much. With the turquoise kitchen walls, sofa pillows and now also dining chairs...
June 8, 2014 at 5:08AM   
Madden, Slick & Bontempo, Inc
I was actually thinking about the turquoise mirrors, but do think it would be too much with the turquoise chairs. I agree with sluggodog about picking art that you really like, but here are a few suggestions.
June 8, 2014 at 6:09AM        Thanked by cupcakesss
Madden, Slick & Bontempo, Inc
One more Degas
June 8, 2014 at 6:11AM   
cupcakesss
Thanks for the examples of art Madden, I especially like the first image. Where is it from?

You agree to go turquoise with the chairs?
June 8, 2014 at 6:21AM   
k2wallace
How about a wallpaper on the wall behind the sofa or you could get creative a stencil a pattern?

June 8, 2014 at 6:41AM        Thanked by cupcakesss
cupcakesss
@k2wallace, something in a grey color and then with the zebra on it?
June 8, 2014 at 7:09AM   
Madden, Slick & Bontempo, Inc
http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Art-Wall-Karin-Johannesson-Summer-Pink-Gallery-Wrapped-Canvas/8689670/product.html?refccid=UPRRX3FVREQ2PI2AMS5RJZL7F4&searchidx=401. You can get it in several different sizes.

I agree that the other fabric does look purple - I didn't know if it was just my monitor though.
June 8, 2014 at 7:23AM        Thanked by cupcakesss
sluggodog
I think if you do the Turquoise mirror and the walls.. the chairs in all turquoise might be too much. For me, the black chairs are just throwing me off against the metal/glass table…it has a harder look to it. I do like the wall paper that is suggested above, and would look great in that corner behind the couch (small, side right wall too).
June 8, 2014 at 8:29AM   
cupcakesss
The turquoise fabric for the chairs has been ordered, I think it will help make it less 'harsh' with such a bright and cheerfull color. Dont you think? If I have time tomorrow I'll get some paint and make the tray pink. Once both are done I'll take new photos. That might give a better idea on what will work on the wall and what not. :)

@sluggodog, you mean the soft grey wallpaper? And still add the zebra?
June 8, 2014 at 9:20AM   
Connie
You've got lot's of great advise here and it's really looking good. What I'd like to offer is considering adding floating shelves painted to match the wall color. Maybe a long one as a focal point or several used like a long dotted line or in a cluster near the dining area. Then, stack them with colorful objects like glass jars, gazing balls, baskets, etc.

Also, I'd recommend trying to determine what the final vibe is that you want to end up with. Examples: #1 Slick contemporary: shiny and high gloss metals and glass; #2 Asian/Indian: batiks, sari prints, brass accents, baskets, pottery; #3 Sunny Cottage: aged white and grunge metal, flea-market finds, floral arrangements, simple wood accents.

If you know what style you lean toward, then it is easier to decide if a decision early in the process will work with your vision. For me, I like lots of things!!! If I don't keep my final flavor in mind, I am easily distracted into adding a component I later regret. (I hate to repaint. And, I really hate wasting money.)
June 8, 2014 at 9:41AM      Thanked by cupcakesss
sluggodog
Ahh.. go with your gut.. your doing just fine with your own choices. I'm sure it will look great.
June 8, 2014 at 12:35PM        Thanked by cupcakesss
Madden, Slick & Bontempo, Inc
cupcakesss.....................I wouldn't suggest this to everyone, but you seem very handy. What about slipcovers for the dining chairs to soften the look? I've made a version of these myself and they really aren't that difficult.
http://ana-white.com/2012/05/plans/easiest-parson-chair-slipcovers
June 9, 2014 at 5:23AM      Thanked by cupcakesss
Madden, Slick & Bontempo, Inc
Another version - the two on the bottom
June 9, 2014 at 5:32AM      Thanked by cupcakesss
Shakúff
You are on a ROLL! I really like the piece of art that you liked as well, and with the new turquoise fabric for the chairs it would really look great. And YES to the spray painting bottles for flowers! I've been a little obsessed with that look lately. It's adorable.
http://tiedupwstring.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/sp17.jpg
June 9, 2014 at 7:01AM      Thanked by cupcakesss
Here is that palette plus a few more colors you could use seasonally for some extra pop - not that these colors need it, but for fun.

June 9, 2014 at 7:49AM        Thanked by cupcakesss
cupcakesss
Today I bought the pink and white spraypaint and a new wooden tray thats just a bit smaller than this one. Sometime this week I'll spraypaint the tray and maybe also the bottles. For the bottles I have some more to do as I so far only have one bottle + the glass vase haha. I specifically bought some juices in glass bottles just for my diy!

Wednesday my coffeetable will be delivered so I need to get some gold spraypaint and get started on that diy too.
June 9, 2014 at 8:24AM     
cupcakesss
@decoentusiaste, I love those blue and white lamps on that photo, very pretty!
June 9, 2014 at 8:24AM   
cupcakesss
The coffeetable is finished! Now its time to decorate it. At the moment I have several tables in my house (not in the living room) decorated with books so I'm looking for table decor without books for this room. All Houzz and Pinterest photos seem to use books so I was thinking of maybe placing some coasters on the table, a little plant and a box of some sort instead of books to place a small decorative item on. What do you think?

I have also been working on the dining area. The tray has been painted and so have the few glass bottles I have. It needs a day more though to fully harden especially since the tray needed quite a few layers of paint. The fabric for the chairs arrived but was a a bit thinner than expected so I need two layers per chair so I am waiting on some extra ordered fabric now. Once its finished I'll update with pictures! :D
June 12, 2014 at 4:59AM     
sluggodog
Looking awesome..can't wait to see it all. How about a small Orchid Plant, books and a candle in pretty glass holder? Few ideas to pull from :-)
June 12, 2014 at 5:14AM      Thanked by cupcakesss
mooret212
maximize your space without taking up all your space.
June 12, 2014 at 5:17AM      Thanked by cupcakesss
cupcakesss
Photos
June 12, 2014 at 8:06AM     
sondramartina
Would you consider a small rug ?
I like these
June 12, 2014 at 8:54AM      Thanked by cupcakesss
Madden, Slick & Bontempo, Inc
It looks so cute! The coffee table is perfect. I think it's all really starting to come together. Do love the idea of a rug.
June 12, 2014 at 9:00AM      Thanked by cupcakesss
sondramartina
My primitive Windows Paint skills.
June 12, 2014 at 9:02AM   
cupcakesss
@sondramartina, that first rug (with the blue) is very nice, where did you find it?
June 12, 2014 at 9:20AM     
sondramartina
Just on Google images. Sorry
June 12, 2014 at 9:32AM      Thanked by cupcakesss
cupcakesss
I think the one white bottle with flowers is quite enough and don't think the tray needs more vases or other items. What do you think?
June 12, 2014 at 9:49AM   
sondramartina
Here is the link for small blue and pink rug http://www.orientalpersianrug.com/chi_chi_oriental_rugs.html
June 12, 2014 at 10:03AM   
Madden, Slick & Bontempo, Inc
I think the one white vase is plenty - especially if you hang art on that wall.
June 12, 2014 at 11:02AM   
Bassett Furniture Direct of Fayetteville
It might be good to find some accent pillows that have navy and pink in them for the sectional and chair. It might also be good to get a rug and window treatments to bridge the colors and styles.
June 12, 2014 at 11:14AM   
cupcakesss
The new chairs :)
June 13, 2014 at 8:40AM     
Madden, Slick & Bontempo, Inc
Pretty! You even matched your tea cup!
June 13, 2014 at 10:30AM        Thanked by cupcakesss
Shakúff
So beautiful! You are definitely inspiring me to save some bottles and pick up some spray paint. :)
June 13, 2014 at 11:00AM     
sluggodog
Looking great
June 13, 2014 at 12:56PM   
sondramartina
Can you take a pic so we can see the rooms together?
June 13, 2014 at 1:26PM     
cupcakesss
@sondramartina, I'll try to do that this weekend :)
June 13, 2014 at 2:57PM   
SoCal Contractor
Accessories, pillows, an area rug, and artwork are an easy way to bring life into the room and give it a bit of personality. They're also an easy way to tie in all of the colors that are currently in the room without making anything look out of place.
June 13, 2014 at 3:04PM   
flair lighting
wow, i just read through this tread. what a great group of people we have here. and you are a handy gal! looks great and i love the teal! i think gray would be best for that wall, and can the arch lamp go staight into the corner? and angle out over the coffee table? Also I like the zebra print and thought it look smashing on the wall behind the sofa, course it might look good over the dining table. is this a studio flat?
June 13, 2014 at 3:20PM     
flair lighting
you can get the white ball paper shade lantern at Ikea it might bring a cool funky touch to your kitchen area. and is in expensive. you can always put the old one back up if this is a rental.
June 13, 2014 at 3:21PM   
MichelleRene
Love the new chair cushions. Your space is really coming together nicely. Lovely!
June 13, 2014 at 3:42PM   
It's a Beautiful World!
@cupcakesss, I wonder if this artwork may work on your dining room wall.

Raisa
June 13, 2014 at 6:47PM     
cupcakesss
Sorry for the delay but here are the first photos. :)
July 9, 2014 at 3:03AM     
sondramartina
Looking good
But I still want to put some small patterned rug in there :)
July 9, 2014 at 5:21AM     
Great job so far. I'd adjust the arc lamp so it hovers above the coffee table.
July 9, 2014 at 7:52AM   
soto01
Posting to follow...
July 9, 2014 at 8:11AM   
Beth Scheel
I love this room! Magenta and navy are some of my favorites and the zebra looks awesome. I like the white walls with it.
July 9, 2014 at 8:24AM   
Madden, Slick & Bontempo, Inc
I think it's really turning out cute. I hope you love it! Can we get a picture from the living room looking at the dining area and kitchen?
July 9, 2014 at 10:54AM        Thanked by cupcakesss
flair lighting
turn the arc lamp into the room hanging into the space.
July 10, 2014 at 11:03AM   
flair lighting
im wondering if you should carry the teal paint out a little. is the dining table on the other side of this?
July 10, 2014 at 11:19AM        Thanked by cupcakesss
cupcakesss
Flair lighting, that looks really good, thanks for the tip!
July 10, 2014 at 1:57PM   
cupcakesss
@Madden, the dining/kitchen area need some tiding up but I'll get those pictures asap :)
July 10, 2014 at 1:58PM     
flair lighting
try the arc lamp on the other side of the sofa so it can breath a little lol
July 10, 2014 at 3:16PM   
cupcakesss
:)
July 12, 2014 at 6:58AM   
Madden, Slick & Bontempo, Inc
A mirror like the one Flair lighting posted earlier might look really nice over the dining table.
July 13, 2014 at 12:29PM   
Shakúff
Beautiful beautiful beautiful! Bringing the teal over like flair lighting suggested would look great! :)
July 14, 2014 at 9:52AM   
flair lighting
oh....put the arc lamp over the dining table!! and move the little lamp into the living area. paint the long wall a soft gray.
July 14, 2014 at 11:51AM     
flair lighting
and
July 14, 2014 at 11:53AM   
Madden, Slick & Bontempo, Inc
There's an idea :) I like the lamp over there. It's almost like a chandelier.
July 14, 2014 at 11:55AM     
cupcakesss
I love the idea of the lamp too, thanks flair lighting! In the upcoming weeks we need to break open a part of the wall for electrical work that needs to be done. So only after that's fixed it can be wallpapered again and painted blue. I love that idea so I'm definitely going to do that. I'll also try the arch lamp over by the table and see how that works out.

So, now I have been focussing my attention to the brown cabinet. I took out all the books because it looked too full. What do you think of this? Any ideas for it?
July 16, 2014 at 5:01AM   
Madden, Slick & Bontempo, Inc
What if you mirrored the back of the cabinet?

July 16, 2014 at 5:20AM     
sondramartina
I would try to add another ornate detail ,maybe a mirror or differnt lamp on DR table . Something to relate with that hutch.
July 16, 2014 at 5:22AM     
sondramartina
Or mix plain with ornate picture frames

July 16, 2014 at 5:32AM     
sondramartina
July 16, 2014 at 5:53AM     
flair lighting
if you are having electrical done, have them add a out let for a fixture over the table...if its the same wall. see $$.... that could be a great addition, too. in lieu of the arc lamp. which i hope works b/c i love the idea lol. and i love the idea of putting mirror in the cabinet. will reflect light too! wondering if you take off the bottom cabinet doors and have open shelves, maybe it wouldnt look so heavy?
July 16, 2014 at 11:01AM     
smorway
I would suggest putting the arched lamp behind sofas corner in lieu of the little one. Move the small one to one of the ends on top of an end table. Will also help for placing drinks etc.
July 16, 2014 at 4:04PM   
smorway
Change the pillows. Capture all your colors in a colorful pattern and use both on sofa and chair
July 16, 2014 at 4:07PM   
smorway
Needs a large painting over the sofa. Something that makes you smile and picks up colors you already have but introduces new colors. Throw pillows to pick up the new colors and the wall might be better to leave white.
July 16, 2014 at 4:12PM   
fissfiss
I love your hutch! You could also try one of your bright fabrics wrapped around some poster board as shelf backing.
Does it fit in the kitchen, next to the fridge? Or does that interfere with the table? A tall beautiful piece like that at the entrance to the kitchen could give the illusion that the whole kitchen is that fabulous, plus extra storage.
July 17, 2014 at 10:52AM   
cupcakesss
fissfiss, the brown cabinet by the fridge might be cool but I think the huge cabinet would overpower in the tiny kitchen. Plus it would leave behind an empty white wall in that area that I think might look off. With the kitchen area being so 'full' then and that area of the living room empty.

Right now I cannot try the changes to the furniture that you guys suggested as I have a big double bed in my living room now haha! For those who saw my thread about my dressing room//spare room might have seen the guestbed that took up a large amount of the space and I have decided now to get rid of it. So it's in my living room waiting to be picked up, once I have the space again I'll try the suggested changes :)

I'm working on changing up that spare room and making it into a real pretty dressing room. I'll take some photos and post those on that thread soon.
July 17, 2014 at 11:14AM   
The best thing you can do is paint. Try a gray. Add art very big by table. New light bigger. Add art over sofa, go contemporary, use color from sofa to tie together.
July 17, 2014 at 1:35PM   
pgteach
Your pink tray would look great on the hutch with your wine glasses on it and maybe a couple of bottles of wine or decanters.
July 17, 2014 at 1:59PM   
pgteach
Do you have an outlet behind the hutch? A small blingy lamp would look cool.
July 17, 2014 at 2:02PM   
cupcakesss
I moved the pink tray over and added the wine glasses and bottles (yes, I only had minibottles haha) I think the bright pink really improves the dark cabinet.
July 17, 2014 at 4:29PM     
Hiskia Handunge
I have a new place and I don't know what colour couches I should buy please advise have a choice between white suite or brown suit
August 5, 2014 at 2:48PM   
cupcakesss
Thanks Madden, those are cute! Electrical work is now done here and some of the walls have been wallpapered again because the old wallpaper was of poor quality and wasnt looking too good ;) I was told to wait two weeks before painting over it so that is one more week from now. Once the painting is done I'll update with new photos!
August 6, 2014 at 1:36AM     
cupcakesss
The paintwork is done and I have places the arched lamp to the dining table. (pictures will be added later) The couch and coffee table are placed differently. Not 100% sure I like it yet but I wanted to try something different and will see how I like this. What do you think?
August 9, 2014 at 2:31PM     
flair lighting
knowing the couch is hanging into open space, im not a huge fan..tho i do like that you can look out the window...maybe a console table behind the couch would help. honestly i like it the other way. cant wait to see the dining, and the arc lamp!!..ps too many wires hanging around behind that table.
August 9, 2014 at 3:45PM      Thanked by cupcakesss
cupcakesss
Thanks flair lighting for your reply. I´m not fully sure about the couch as it is now either but wanted to try something different. Maybe I´ll move it around some more and see if I have any other options. Behind the table is one wire for the lamp. The other is for my laptop that I was just using there to post these photos. The reason I chose this position for the couch was also to be able to look out the window as I have no tv or fireplace to ´direct´ the furniture at. On the other hand it might be not very practical with the sun shining straight in your eyes when sitting on this couch. I moved the couch in the evening so I am going to have to see about that during the day time.

There is a bit if tidying up to do and then I´ll post photos of the dining table and kitchen too!
August 9, 2014 at 4:45PM     
bonibon123
Maybe a few paintings up on the wall would be nice, it would add some colour and push emptiness away on your walls :)
August 9, 2014 at 4:52PM   
vickicz
Love it! What a fun room.
August 9, 2014 at 5:44PM   
Madden, Slick & Bontempo, Inc
I think I kind of like it there, I like that it takes up more of the room. But I agree with flairlighting that a small console table would look nice behind it or a low shelving unit. Or would that interfere with the door? Maybe even just a large potted plant towards the end of the sofa. How wide is that space anyway? And where is the blue chair? Have you tried the sofa on the other side of the room where you have the cabinet?
August 10, 2014 at 7:44AM      Thanked by cupcakesss
cupcakesss
Madden, thanks for your reply. The blue chair was way too big for the living room so I moved it upstairs. Behind the sofa is not enough space for a table or shelves because of the door thats there. With a large potted plant at the end of the couch there might not be enough space for walking in between couch and dining table. Its only a small living room.

I'm not 100% sure about the current set up, also because there is now so much going on on one side (pink couch, blue wall, zebra, pillows) and the window looks so empty. With no furniture on that side of the room.

I think the benefit of the couch sticking out into the space is that before all furniture was right up against the wall with a lot of empty space in the middle. This maybe balances it a bit more.
August 10, 2014 at 8:08AM   
Madden, Slick & Bontempo, Inc
What about putting the couch back where it was and putting a sofa table or shelf behind it? That would push it out into the room more. I got this picture off pinterest. Although, like I said, I kind of like it where it is now. But I'm not in the room, which makes a big difference.
August 10, 2014 at 8:21AM   
Madden, Slick & Bontempo, Inc
Shelving unit behind. Maybe a couple of Billy bookcases or Expedits from Ikea?
West Coast Retreat
Summer 2013
August 10, 2014 at 8:27AM   
cupcakesss
I have taken some quick photos of the room, more an overview to give you a better idea. On it though you will see a messy dining table and the dishes on the kitchen counter. If you are not bothered by that I can post a quick overview before I have to go offline...
August 10, 2014 at 8:45AM     
cupcakesss
Well, here goes :)
August 10, 2014 at 8:49AM     
janbhan
I'm not too sure about turquoise cushions with that bright pink. They are two strong colours, I feel they fight. I'd use sand or any neutral colour, or if you must use a blue then a very subtle blue-grey would look nice.
August 12, 2014 at 5:10AM   
Madden, Slick & Bontempo, Inc
Cupcakess.....I really like the living room area no matter which way you have the furniture layout. But, if I am being honest, I am not crazy about all the turquoise. I liked it as an accent, but it feels kind of overwhelming to me now. Now, I realize I am only seeing a snapshot, and, I also realize that I am more of a neutral person. So, how does it feel to you? I hope I am not being too negative. Maybe some others will weigh in?
August 12, 2014 at 8:16AM     
cupcakesss
Thanks everyone, I love how you are all helping me and coming up with wonderful ideas, thanks!

This is what I have done today: moved the couch back as it was but without the arch lamp. I've put the small lamp back. It was suggested in this thread to add something to match with the look of the cabinet so I added the vintage looking books and birdcage in front of the window. Plus an old photo. I really like it there and like to give these personal items a more prominent place in the room here.
The bright blue pillows that were said to clash with the pink couch have been removed and do to lack of a better idea are now under the coffee table ;) Unusual but I think its fine.
When I look at the photos of the room I have taken I am not mad about the zebra. I still like the print itself but not the location of it. Maybe something more colorful should go there and the zebra could move to the other side of the room.
August 12, 2014 at 9:09AM     
cupcakesss

This fabric was suggested earlier in this thread. I still think it is beautiful and thought it might work if I put this over a large panel (or two medium sized) and place those as art above the couch. I tried ordering it but the website does not seem to ship outside the US. Do you know of any international/European websites where I could get something along these lines?
August 12, 2014 at 9:12AM     
cupcakesss
@Madden, I agree, its a lot of blue ;) haha I dont mind it though, it fits the bright, colorful, eclectic look I was going for. I personally think it just isnt fully 'tied together' yet. With that big empty white wall on the other side of the room and no art/clock/mirror/anything on the blue walls they are still just big blue areas.
At the moment, to me, it feels a bit incomplete. I either should have kept it as a subtle accent or I should take it further to make it work (feel like Tim Gun now 'make it work' haha) in my opinion. With the idea that if you decide on colorful then really go all out. (without it looking like a circus) Do you know what I mean? What do you think?
August 12, 2014 at 9:23AM     
Shakúff
I'm glad you moved the couch - it looks much more cozy!!

Where you thinking of getting something else for the other side of the room? Maybe something more long that would fill the space. I love what you have but it seems a little lonely over there. ;)
August 12, 2014 at 9:49AM      Thanked by cupcakesss
cupcakesss
What type of thing do you mean?
August 12, 2014 at 9:55AM   
flair lighting
love it back the way it was, really like the cushions! its coming along sooooo well! you should be proud of yourself! maybe we should paint the dining chairs? can we paint the window trim?
August 12, 2014 at 10:13AM   
cupcakesss
I'm not sure if the material of the dining chairs can be painted well but the trim around the windows will definitely be painted. Already made plans to do so early September. I'll paint it white to freshen it up and make it brighter.
August 12, 2014 at 10:18AM   
sondramartina
I like the layout the way it was originally.
Since you mentioned it first I am not mad about zebra painting either. Its got to be something better :)
August 12, 2014 at 10:38AM   
Madden, Slick & Bontempo, Inc
cupcakess..............That was my thoughts exactly - there is either too much blue or too little blue. I think it has become the primary color, not the pink. Attached is an article on using color - they suggest 60-30-10 rule. 60% dominant color, 30%secondary and 10% accent. I also agree that you need to bring in some artwork or maybe a rug that uses all the colors. Remember the room Dr. Nancy did earlier in this post using orange and pink? That worked because of the rug. http://www.colorwheelharmony.com/design-rules.html
August 12, 2014 at 10:44AM   
greenyogini
This is a really fun progression to watch! (And I LOVE your bold colors and prints, cupcakesss!)

I love the zebra print with your furniture, but if you don't really love it, it's time for it to go.

One thing I keep thinking as I look at the photos is that I'm pretty sure IKEA has a rug that perfectly matches your pillow - and I think it might look stunning in this room.
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40260519/
August 12, 2014 at 10:45AM     
sondramartina
Cupcakes why don't you try to add a rug anyways? I think it would warm up the place and zebra might look better too.
August 12, 2014 at 10:49AM   
sondramartina
This one reminds me of yours
August 12, 2014 at 10:50AM     
flair lighting
i think a soft gray on the white walls is the way to go.
August 12, 2014 at 11:00AM   
cupcakesss
I'll think about the rug, I agree with all of you that it looks very warm to have a rug in a living room, its just for practice reasons that I'm not 100% sold on it yet. Plus also the cost of a nice rug, rugs tend to cost a lot.

With all the blue thats going on it could be my 60% color, the pink the 30% and maybe some touches of yellow is what I was thinking of. Pinterest and Houzz images with some pops of yellow I usually like. What are your thoughts?

What is bothering me a bit is that all the colored items (couch, walls, chairs, tray, flowerpots) have one solid color each. No prints or multicolored items. I think some items that have several colors in them would be good. For example for above the couch. My problem at the moment is that, beside the decorative part, a lot has been done with the house and the budget is nearly gone now. So, for the rest of the decor it should be even more on budget or DIY. Therefor I was thinking of buying (at a cheap store) large painting canvasses. These canvasses could be wrapped with a suitable multicolored fabric and be hung above the couch. (2 medium sized) Unfortunately I am not good at painting or else I could have made something myself ;)

@sondramartina, I dont mind if you say you dont like something, I love getting your thoughts and ideas on this room :) Also, I LOVE the image you pasted of the other living room. Really gorgeous.
August 12, 2014 at 11:33AM     
Madden, Slick & Bontempo, Inc
A possible fabric for artwork from a company that ships internationally.

August 12, 2014 at 11:49AM     
cupcakesss
If I would go for a rug, what size would I need to get? Something that covers the entire couch/coffee table area or something smaller just for under the coffee table?

@Madde, that print is pretty, not sure about the reds and greens in there but it could be very nice. Where did you find it?
August 12, 2014 at 12:12PM   
cupcakesss
What do you think of this rug? Its very similar to one suggested in this thread before. Or should it be something with more vivid colors?
August 12, 2014 at 12:24PM   
sondramartina
Something with more vivid colours,not that one .Too muted .
Check this ,just picture your pink sofa :)
Am I creeping you out ?

August 12, 2014 at 12:32PM     
cupcakesss
hahaha freaky! It even has a glass dining table and a round glass coffee table. Where did you find it?
August 12, 2014 at 12:46PM   
Madden, Slick & Bontempo, Inc
I guess I was looking more at the turquoise, pink and black in the fabric. Here is another one. I found them both at fabric.com

August 12, 2014 at 12:52PM     
cupcakesss
Some rug ideas.
August 12, 2014 at 12:53PM     
greenyogini
Love the top right one! (That's the one I was suggesting in my previous comment.)
August 12, 2014 at 1:55PM      Thanked by cupcakesss
Xongxong Jones
Paint
August 12, 2014 at 2:06PM   
cupcakesss
Some more rug ideas
August 12, 2014 at 2:33PM     
cupcakesss
I went to the shops in my area today to see what is available in rugs etc. I found one super colorful rug that appealed to my immediately ;) They had mini round versions of them too so I bought one of those mini's to see if something this colorful would look nice. I think it looks cute (ofcourse I would get the regular sized to put here) but I would love to know what you all think.
(the regular sized rug is as you can see on the photo a bit darker and the small round one is lighter and more pink, so they are not exactly the same)

I found other (more neutral) rugs too. If you think this bright one wont work I'll upload those photos too.
August 14, 2014 at 8:33AM     
cupcakesss
Some other things I found.
August 14, 2014 at 8:47AM   
cupcakesss
And some cute fridge decor :D
August 14, 2014 at 8:49AM     
Shakúff
I like the rug! Adds some texture too. :) and those fridge magnets are ADORABLE! Where did you get them? :)
August 14, 2014 at 8:58AM   
alwaysdesigning
Remember, you can hang rugs as "artwork"; behind the sofa maybe, to tie in with the floor? And can layer with art pictures hanging on top; the rug "frames" the art. And I like those teal blue pillows for accents; it can work if you have a colorful rug with the same colors.
August 14, 2014 at 9:04AM   
cupcakesss
@Shakuff, I'm glad to hear you like it too! The fridge magnets are from my local garden centre, I found a couple that I thought would match my home and got three cute little plants for them :)

@alwaysdesigning, do you mean the same rug on the floor and on the wall? There is a bigger and a smaller version of it available but wouldnt it be too much of the same in one area of the house? Perhaps the little round version could go on the wall (I could get onother one of it)
August 14, 2014 at 9:09AM   
flair lighting
those fridge magnets are so awsome! i love the rug! it will be very fun in the space, but you might try it under the dining table. this is my newest thought, turn the dinging table length wise off the wall centered to the kitchen, put the fun rug under it and then get a more neutral rug for the living?
August 14, 2014 at 10:31AM   
flair lighting
bad visual but i know you'll get it.
August 14, 2014 at 10:35AM     
cupcakesss
Oh, I thought you meant differently. I'll show you the picture of what I have done... (coming up)
August 14, 2014 at 11:16AM   
cupcakesss
I thought you meant to turn the table like this. Now that I have done it though I kinda prefer it :)

In the shop where I bought the colorful mini rug they had it on display on a cabinet with some vases and other small decor items on it. It thought I could keep the round rug and use it like that on the table. Get something as a centerpiece on the table maybe.
August 14, 2014 at 11:22AM     
abbyjean
I have just loved following this thread and am posting to see more pics and excitement!
August 14, 2014 at 11:22AM     
cupcakesss
More of an overview image here
August 14, 2014 at 11:34AM     
abbyjean
What does the rug look like on top of your coffee table? Cover it up too much? I love your idea of using it ON a table!
August 14, 2014 at 11:38AM     
sondramartina
I am not sure I like that rug on the dining table.
I like the new DR table orientation . I would love to see some large painting on that wall. Or maybe zebra can go there?
August 14, 2014 at 11:40AM     
cupcakesss
Glad you like it abbyjean, what are your thoughts on the room?
August 14, 2014 at 11:40AM   
flair lighting
looks better with the table out, but i still think the rug would look good under it. try sticking your "sample" lol, under the corner leg and chair. i think it would look cool coming through the glass.
August 14, 2014 at 11:43AM   
cupcakesss
@sondramartina, yes, I was just looking at the zebra and thinking the same thing. At least for the time being as the wall looks so bare now. I think the rug on the table could be really cool but its too 'alone' at the moment. Its so vibrant and colorful right next to all that pale blue and white. I think more colorful things throughout the room/kitchen, both accessories and wall decor, should tie it together more. Or dont you think so?
August 14, 2014 at 11:43AM     
flair lighting
the colors are spot on.
August 14, 2014 at 11:43AM   
flair lighting
it will give you reason to dress the wall.
August 14, 2014 at 11:44AM   
cupcakesss
I agree this looks really cute but the larger size rug would be darker though, I dont know if it would still work. And what kind of rug should the couch/coffee table area need? Getting something very different might clash as they are basically next to each other in my tiny living room ;) lol
August 14, 2014 at 11:49AM     
VIDA Interiors
Hi there! Love whats happening! Although I would have made that entire wall behind the couch the accent wall.

You can find some really original and beautiful accessories on Etsy.com They sell handmade goods that ship all over the world.

My pillow shop can be found here: http://www.ainthatastitch.etsy.com

Best of luck!
Vida
August 14, 2014 at 11:52AM   
sondramartina
I would bring i n the larger rug and then try all combinations. I hope you have no problem returning purchased items.
August 14, 2014 at 11:54AM   
Shakúff
Moving the dining room table really fills the space, and I love the idea of putting the zebra artwork there!
August 14, 2014 at 11:56AM   
abbyjean
That rug is a true score for your home....it looks like it was made for your color scheme.
August 14, 2014 at 11:57AM   
abbyjean
I, too, am VERY happy you moved the couch back ON THE WALL. It truly FIT there and did not chop your small space up. Love the wooden piece it faces and the decor you have placed on it.

With the dining table this direction, is there room for the people that sit along the wall to get to their chair and pull it back comfortably? Can you walk behind each other there if one chair has someone sitting in it? It seems like the seating worked better with the table the other way unless you can pull the table out more????
August 14, 2014 at 11:59AM   
flair lighting
and i think the table should come out just a little more. here are some fun prints i found, that you could download and print out and by cheap fun frames for..........
August 14, 2014 at 12:12PM   
flair lighting
darker would be goo i think with the chairs and hutch as they are.
August 14, 2014 at 12:12PM   
cupcakesss
@abbyjean, I will try if there is enough space for people to sit comfortable there. Good idea :)

@sondramartina, luckily they are great about returning items so if I have time tomorrow or else saturday I will pick up the rug and take photos of it in different places and post them here.
August 14, 2014 at 12:12PM   
cupcakesss
@flair lighting, where did you find those prints? I love the colors!
August 14, 2014 at 12:13PM   
abbyjean
Would you feel sad if the rug went in front of the kitchen sink? Draw a little pink over there?
August 14, 2014 at 12:18PM     
Davida's Kitchen & Tiles
This space has really come along! What an interesting thread! I love the use of color - the pink couch and the turquoise walls. Pink is one of my favorite colors. I look forward to seeing how the rest of your space turns out. But I do agree that a rug is needed for the living room space.
August 14, 2014 at 12:19PM        Thanked by cupcakesss
cupcakesss
@abbyjean, I am not sure about a rug in the kitchen as these are not washable and it is quite easy to get something spilled on it in the area where I am cooking. But maybe some pink could be added to the kitchen by adding a print or other artwork on the wall? Above the stove or above the fridge perhaps? I still need a clock so maybe a pretty pink clock on the wall above the fridge would be an idea?
August 14, 2014 at 12:41PM     
Davida's Kitchen & Tiles
I love the idea of a pink clock. Or you could even get a small window treatment that's pink to go over your window. It would look great against the turquoise walls.
August 14, 2014 at 12:45PM        Thanked by cupcakesss
flair lighting
i googled vintage colorful vintage posters, and saw those thinking you can easily save the image and print them out. i did that with some sea shell prints i liked and then just framed them. no one knows the difference. and then i just saw this....... http://www.zazzle.com/colorful_vintage_birdcages_with_cute_birds_posters-228806839367064655

and here is a place for the other, but im sure you can diy this. http://www.avintageposter.com/
August 14, 2014 at 12:51PM   
abbyjean
Oh, never even thought about the rug and water. YIKES! Yes, a pink clock....perfect. And how about a pink cookie jar on top of the fridge?
August 14, 2014 at 12:53PM     
abbyjean
I just popped over to Etsy and googled pink cookie jar.....look what I found....https://www.etsy.com/listing/195414285/swirled-marshmellow-cloud-delight-cookie?ref=sr_gallery_10&ga_search_query=pink+cookie+jar&ga_order=most_relevant&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=US&ga_search_type=all
August 14, 2014 at 12:55PM   
flair lighting
as for the clock here are some ideas that are funny and cute, also you could by at thrift shop and paint yourself..........
August 14, 2014 at 12:56PM     
abbyjean
Sorry.....no computer skills so you have to copy and paste the link.
August 14, 2014 at 12:57PM   
abbyjean
flair....great find with pink clocks. Can't even choose a favorite!
August 14, 2014 at 12:57PM     
cupcakesss
I will check out the links for the prints and see what they have :)

That cookie jar is just sooooooo adorable!! I love it!! Unfortunately I am not in the US and they dont ship to my country but I love the idea and further see on etsy what they have.

Loving the pink clocks too, definately keep my eyes open for something nice.
August 14, 2014 at 1:14PM     
abbyjean
Well, snap! I never even thought about where you live. Makes me wanna buy it and ship it to you myself!
August 14, 2014 at 1:18PM     
sondramartina
Just be careful with choice of pink accessories.. You dont want little girl room .
August 14, 2014 at 1:19PM     
suellensilver
Love the pink & turquoise ! Love the table parallel to the wall! Love that round rug! By the kitchen sink sounds perfect to me. I am a big fan of color & I would try the larger rug ( like the round "sample") w/ the sofa. Fabric on a stretcher sounds great. Loved that 1st fabric posted earlier. I wouldn't do much "neutral" I hate beige. When talking color I believe more is more!!! Btw I am in the design industry & an artist & have to cater to my clients. What I love is color & funk etc. don't second guess yourself. Keep on keepin' on!!!
August 14, 2014 at 1:30PM        Thanked by cupcakesss
nramsey1
Like your idea of stretching fabric over canvas for art over sofa. I have used this method and it looks great. In U.S. we have Goodwill stores (people donate items they no longer use). I get canvas painting that have been donated for $5 to $10 and paint over them or cover them in fabric. If you don't have similar stores try thrift stores for old canvas art and re-use them. After all, if it's good enough for the "master painters of old", it's good enough for us. Artists often re-use their canvases. I love the fabric you chose above. Looks like an ikat print. Too bad you can't get it shipped out of U.S. Try making a screen shot print of it and take it to fabric stores in your area. They may be able to find something similar. Room is looking great. Love it.
August 14, 2014 at 2:14PM        Thanked by cupcakesss
trudelines
I have the same pink sofa and am about to decorate my guest bedroom around it, so this thread is so good! Love the colour scheme.
Will maybe share when I start my project (need to tidy up some stuff that is stored there first).
August 15, 2014 at 5:10AM     
cupcakesss
trudeline, I would love to see the photos of your room, keep us updated! :)
August 15, 2014 at 6:51AM     
cupcakesss
I went to the shop where they sell the rug but they informed me the colors tend to run when they get wet and will cause the colors to run and stain the floor underneath. I informed about anything to go underneath it to stop the colors from running but they said it wouldnt be enough so I decided not to get it to not damage my light coloured floor.

I decided to return to an older idea from this thread where it was suggested to paint the dining chairs. I was against that for a while because I have done SOOO much painting lately ;) But... earlier today I have sanded the first of the chairs. I going to go for yellow and will buy paint today or tomorrow. A part of the chair I have already covered in white spraypaint as a base. The problem with me and spraypaint is that I cannot seem to get it even. It looks quite messy. For the base not much of a problem but it would be for the bright yellow color. Do you think for the yellow I could better use paint with a brush? I am not sure about it since pieces on the back of the chair might be difficult to reach well with a brush. Any ideas?

Do you love the idea of the yellow too? I was thinking with the chairs that bright the zebra might even fit behind the dining table as there might be enough color there then already. But I would have to see first :)

@nramsey1, thats a great idea about using used canvasses. I might even have one in the attack that I could reuse!
August 15, 2014 at 6:57AM     
greenyogini
Cupcakesss, I love these bold color combinations! I'm doing something similar in my own family room at the moment, and our color schemes are so close, it's uncanny! I had wanted the hot/neon pink to be a surprising pop here and there, but I've started to go a little overboard with it I think, so it's anyone's guess how it'll turn out! LOL! :D (My current scheme is something along the lines of pink, yellow, navy...with LOTS of pattern.)

Anyway, I just love following this thread and the changes - and seeing someone make brave color/pattern choices! :)

Oh! And where did you get that amazing pink tray? Did you mention it and I missed it? It's gorgeous!!!
August 15, 2014 at 7:54AM        Thanked by cupcakesss
cupcakesss
@greenyogini, I would love to see some photos of your room, please post them here too! (if you want) I would love to see which choices you made and am curious about your use of pattern, something I havent really done yet but would love to add.

The pink tray was a DIY project. I bought a cheap wooden tray and spraypainted it. The tray had some text on it so it needed quite a few layers before it would be covered but that did result in this lovely bold color :)
August 15, 2014 at 8:26AM     
lessismoore
Just browsing around and found your thread. What wonderful choices you've made! That pink tray on your brown hutch ... such a small change but what a wonderful difference. And the redo of your DR chairs. Love that you are so creative and DIY-able. That last multi-color rug looked good to me, but also the black and white ones work too.
August 15, 2014 at 8:37AM        Thanked by cupcakesss
obethgramo
You can get that multi color fabric you like at calicocorner.com. Its called Aurora/ Ikat Multi
August 15, 2014 at 8:47AM        Thanked by cupcakesss
obethgramo
They have a picture on their website of it stretched over a screen, but i think it would be amazing on a canvas too. Also, its got such a nice hand to it. Very soft linen.
August 15, 2014 at 8:49AM        Thanked by cupcakesss
cupcakesss
Thanks for the tip obethgramo!
August 15, 2014 at 9:36AM     
greenyogini
That exact print is one I've been looking at for months! (It's been available in furnishings on a few different sites, but I couldn't justify purchasing an extra chair just for the fabric. ;) ) I'm thrilled that it's available in fabric!

Cupcakesss, that's a fantastic DIY job on the tray! Kudos! :)

As for posting images, I have to find some that I'm not embarrassed about before posting. ;) My space has cat hair and clutter at the moment, so we'll see what I can come up with to share. In the meantime, I'll scrounge up some links to pieces I have so that you can see what I'm working with.
August 15, 2014 at 10:09AM     
greenyogini
Don't wish to hijack your thread, cupcakesss, but at your invitation, here are some of the pieces I'm working with in my space:

Art 1: https://www.etsy.com/listing/105018774/abstract-print-geometric-art-mid-century

Art 2: https://www.etsy.com/listing/98753059/art-print-large-size-watercolor-daybreak

Pillow 1: https://www.etsy.com/listing/119578772/ikat-pillow-16x16-decorative-throw

Pillow 2: https://www.etsy.com/listing/130093075/15x15-pink-ikat-pillow-decorative-pillow

Footstool: http://www.worldmarket.com/product/round+embroidered+upholstery+footstool.do

I also have a DIY yellow table (that I rescued from someone's trash and painted), a hot/neon pink throw blanket, a grey sofa, and dark brown (fake) leather chairs. The walls and carpet are a hideous beige. ;)

I need to get an ottoman (not sure whether I'll go with pink, patterned, or solid), and I'm considering purchasing one of these prints to balance out the colors. Then I plan to add some pink, yellow, white, navy, and metallic decorative accents to my bookshelves.

Art 3: http://society6.com/product/rainfall-01_print#1=45

Art 4: http://society6.com/product/hybrid-3qj_print#1=45

Art 5: http://society6.com/product/epiphany-2_print#1=45

Art 6: http://society6.com/product/upward-jqp_print#1=45

Art 7: https://www.etsy.com/listing/73195747/abstract-leaf-design-16x12

If you check out my profile you'll see some of my discussions on this room as well. I may start another thread on the topic soon, but it's tough to do without pictures - and mine just don't turn out as lovely as yours! (And I don't have any editing software or skill in that department.)
August 15, 2014 at 10:29AM     
domenique1980
Hi Cupcakesss, check out westelm.nl
They have great pillows, throws, rugs, sidetables, frames, etc. Different sales every day; love it!
August 15, 2014 at 10:55AM     
domenique1980
Sorry I meant westwing.nl ! :-)
August 15, 2014 at 11:12AM   
cupcakesss
@domenique1980, yes, I know about Westwing! They are really cool arent they! I have a hot pink chair from them thats in my bedroom.
August 15, 2014 at 11:16AM     
cupcakesss
@greenyogini, thanks for your post with all the links, I am curious to see it all. At the moment I have just finished painting the first layer of paint on the first chair. Will start sanding the next one in a minute. When I am done I will take the time to look though all your links! (I've already opened a random couple of links and OMG to that footstool, adorable!)
August 15, 2014 at 11:19AM     
cupcakesss
@greenyogini, those prints are really nice, what did you do with them? Are they places throughout the room or all together? Did you frame them?

Do you have a direct link to your thread? I tried via your profile but am not sure how to find it, thanks!
August 15, 2014 at 12:19PM     
greenyogini
I love art! :) (My house is starting to look a bit like an art gallery...) I framed all the prints myself (using cheap frames from craft or housewares stores locally). Not the most professional of all framing jobs, obviously ;) , but they look pretty good to my eye, for the moment.

I have the triangle piece sitting on top of a bookshelf, and the watercolor one with the pinks, navy, and yellow is on a bare wall next to a sliding door, with a tall floor lamp nearby. I haven't yet purchased a third art piece - it's on this week's to-do list! - but it will be much larger and go opposite of the watercolor, on the other side of the sofa. So the art will be arranged in a triangle - right, left, and front of sofa. I have a symmetry thing going on in the room.

I haven't really posted a full thread about the room due to the lack of photos, but there's one about an ottoman and another about the sofa issues - it's all the same room. Stay tuned, because I do plan to take some more photos to share (in a separate thread)!

Also, just to show you how much I adore bold color choices, I'll let you in on a little secret: I have a neon green room! :D (The walls are painted in what some people call "highlighter" green, which casts a green glow over the white kitchen at certain times of day, LOL!)
August 15, 2014 at 1:07PM        Thanked by cupcakesss
leelee
Since you love bright colors look on etsy.com under large original art. All of these are from the etsy site.
August 15, 2014 at 1:18PM        Thanked by cupcakesss
cupcakesss
Oh wow a neon room, do you have any pictures of it? Please let me know when you open your thread with the photos of your room. I would love to follow it and see what you are doing.

What sizes did you get your prints in? Are they on a white wall or is the wall painted too?
August 15, 2014 at 1:21PM     
cupcakesss
@leelee, I will, thanks for the tip!
August 15, 2014 at 1:22PM   
greenyogini
:) Will do, cupcakesss!

I think one of my prints was like 11" x 14", and the other was closer to 18" x 20". I'm really into large prints right now, but am restricted to sizes I can afford. ;) The rooms in my space are all a horrid beige color, which I plan to paint in a white or very pale grey as soon as I get the energy to do it.

I love colored walls (hence the neon green, and another room that is aqua), but for most of the house I'm going with neutral backgrounds and filling them with colored textiles and art work. I may venture out into additional wall colors soon, but I wanted to be able to change the colored accents as my tastes change, so at the moment I'm sticking to neutral walls so that I can fill them out with colored art pieces to match my changing moods and tastes. :) I'm drawn to the "Scandinavian" style at the moment, which uses a similar concept of neutral base and colored, patterned accents. :)
August 15, 2014 at 1:31PM   
cupcakesss
haha I have that same problem, would love a really big print but not for those prices! ;)

Anyone looking for photographs in high res. that you can print yourself, check out this link: http://bootstrapbay.com/blog/free-stock-photos/
August 15, 2014 at 3:15PM     
flair lighting
ohhh miss cupcake what a great site!
August 15, 2014 at 3:28PM     
greenyogini
;) cupcakesss, I know what you mean. I don't have a problem paying artists for their work, though (most of them are poorer than I am), so if I can't afford a large print or whatever, then I get a smaller one, save up until I can afford it, or just make something similar myself. You're so artistic, I'd bet you could make something lovely for your space, for sure!
August 15, 2014 at 4:01PM   
greenyogini
Hey cupcakesss, how is the decorating going? Any photo updates to share? :D

You asked me to let you know when I post some photos of my space - I only posted a few so far, but here's the link to my book shelf styling dilemmas: http://www.houzz.com/discussions/1119807#2746181

Not much pink in the photos, but I did manage to make a small pink pond in my basement tonight! ;) (Painted a door in Pantone's Radiant Orchid, and while washing out the paint brushes the utility sink's drain clogged. I was standing in pink water before I realized it had happened! Oy!)
August 19, 2014 at 8:29PM   
cupcakesss
Hi greenyogini, I googled the color you used and I love it, it seems quite similar to the color of my couch. Post a picture of your newly painted door! Hope you got everything sorted with your drain now and you didnt end up with pink floors too. I'm going to check out your link.

This morning I finished the first of the dining chairs. The second chair still needs some touch-ups and the other two I havent started on yet. So it might take while before I have photos with all four chairs completed :)
August 20, 2014 at 1:34AM     
greenyogini
I LOVE those chairs!!! :D The yellow looks fantastic with the turquoise!

I see the zebra print in the corner...have you decided to use it over the dining table?

Here's a pic of my door (only one coat of paint so far):
August 20, 2014 at 5:43AM     
cupcakesss
Thank you! Yes, I was thinking of putting the zebra above the dining table but I've got to finish the chairs first and see if I like the zebra to go with it later. :)

That door is fantastic! Great choice! Color of the doorhandle matched perfectly. My door is new too, I chose a dark but still vibrant blue. I didnt dare to go any bolder than that because all the houses in my area are very beige. So I didnt want to go to bold. How is that where you live?
August 20, 2014 at 5:56AM     
greenyogini
Thanks! :) The door handle is actually what was on it before I painted - round gold knobs are standard where I live (and cheap). I hated the gold before I painted the door, but now I think you're right - it works!

This door is actually the door to my garage, so the only time it's seen is when I open up my garage door to pull inside. (The shutters on the exterior of my house are a vibrant yellow/orange, though, so.... ;) ) I wouldn't be deterred from painting the door to the exterior in this color, it just doesn't go with my exterior color scheme right now.

Most of the houses in my area are browns, greens, and whites/beiges, but there are a few that have small areas of color, and a little outside of my neighborhood there are some houses with a LOT more color, including one that is painted nearly all in that orchid color like my door, with a black garage door, black shutters, and black roof. I smile every time I pass it. ;)

I like color - a little, or a lot - it makes me smile. :) (I just spray painted my outdoor plastic chairs in bright colors, too. Each one is different: red, blue, pink, and green. The table is going to be white soon, too.)

I can't wait to see pix of your room with all the changes - it's so exciting!!! And I still get a kick out of your hot pink sofa! Where on Earth did you find that?
August 20, 2014 at 6:31AM   
cupcakesss
That house sounds nice, I wish I would see things like that around here. I used to live near the house of a famous Dutch painter (he died years ago, dont know anything else about him really) Just google for the house (Dutch: huis) of Anton Heyboer. ;)

The pink sofa is from Ikea!! :D
August 20, 2014 at 8:13AM     
greenyogini
WOW! You lived near that house?! That would be amazing! :) I love all the colors!

I thought the sofa looked like Ikea, but I haven't seen any pink ones available in my area. It's fantastic. :)
August 20, 2014 at 8:21AM        Thanked by cupcakesss
cupcakesss
It's the Friheten from Ikea. :D
August 20, 2014 at 8:25AM     
Davida's Kitchen & Tiles
I love those chairs!! The use of bold colors is great!
August 20, 2014 at 8:31AM        Thanked by cupcakesss
cupcakesss
Thanks Davida!

Do you have your entire house in one style or color scheme or do you vary per room? (random question for anyone who wants to answer haha) :)
August 20, 2014 at 8:49AM     
RugKnots
Love how your room is coming together! Bold and Beautiful.
We noticed that Madden, Slick & Bontempo, Inc, had suggested a floral rug -and it looks just like ours!

Wishing you the best of decorating luck!
August 20, 2014 at 8:53AM        Thanked by cupcakesss
greenyogini
Great question, cupcakesss! I was actually thinking about the same thing this week. ;)

I love homes that have color schemes that flow seamlessly, but I actually have a different color scheme for each room. It's a rather ridiculous design choice, but you know what? I love it! :) There are elements that run through various rooms, and each area is similarly eclectic and (more or less) cohesive within its own boundaries, but the hodge-podge mix has a lot to do with the way I decorate.

Nearly all of my furniture is hand-me-downs, either given to me by family and friends, or purchased second-hand from thrift stores. Each piece has a story or some sort of history, and I try not to keep pieces that I don't love - and as the result, some things are slowly getting transitioned out of the house.

I also prefer to have a more informal and contemporary feel that works around art and accessories in the room, but some of the furniture I've inherited is more formal and traditional, so my challenge has been to try to blend all of that with my own style and existing pieces. It's always a work in progress, but I don't mind it that way. :)

Color schemes in my home:
1. hot pink, navy, bright yellow (living room)
2. bright lime green, brown/natural/neutral, navy (sun room)
3. vintage turquoise, deep red (living room)
4. black & white (bathroom)
5. turquoise and tropical colors/themes (guest bedroom)
6. deep eggplant purple, medium turquoise, white, dark brown (bedroom)
7. white, orange, green (kitchen)
August 20, 2014 at 9:47AM        Thanked by cupcakesss
Shakúff
Those chairs look AWESOME! I think the zebra print will look great over the dining table. Adds some neutral but fun texture. :)
August 20, 2014 at 10:03AM        Thanked by cupcakesss
cupcakesss
I was just thinking of maybe going for shelves above the sofa instead of a large artwork. I could place books, photos, smaller pieces of art and decor items on it and it would be easier to change when I want to and smaller prints and framed photos would be less pricey than one large piece. A problem might be that lots of smaller items might look more cluttered but I dont think I have to many small items everywhere. It'a just a thought, going to look for some example images :)
August 20, 2014 at 3:12PM     
flair lighting
put the shelves over the dining area. take up some of that wall...i like the zebra print where he is! the chairs look rad btw!
August 20, 2014 at 3:21PM     
greenyogini
I think either could work. Shelves aren't that difficult to style with thrift store items and photos or framed images that you like, but a large print like the zebra (or framed fabric like the one mentioned earlier) would have a lot of impact over the pink sofa, I think. The one thing I want to caution you about with shelves over either area is to make sure you have enough clearance so that no one hits their head when standing up or leaning back - OUCH!
August 20, 2014 at 3:30PM     
Madden, Slick & Bontempo, Inc
I just posted this to my idea book last week because I liked the arrangement behind the couch. I think you and greenyogini would like the all the pictures of this home. Lots of color and pattern.

August 20, 2014 at 6:07PM        Thanked by cupcakesss
cupcakesss
@Madden, yes this is what I was thinking except with some deeper shelves so I can also place decorative items on it. I've also been looking at photos of living rooms with such shelves and definately prefer the kind where they are long like the sofa itself and not the shorter shelves. I will give it some more thought and search for some more examples before I decide :) Downside of the shelves is all the extra cleaning work with all the smaller items on the shelves. :(
August 21, 2014 at 4:27AM     
Shakúff
Yes, I'm totally on the shelving behind the couch train! :) I think the zebra looks awesome where it is, and putting decorative items and small pictures behind the couch fills the space and also makes it more homey. :)
August 21, 2014 at 6:15AM   
cupcakesss
@Shakuff, I also think the zebra would look better by the dining table. I think the bright yellow and blue chairs would look great combined with it.

If anyone comes across any examples of the type of long shelves with books/prints/decor items I am looking for please post them here. Have been searching on Houzz and Pinterest and came across much that comes close but nothing that is quite like it. :)
August 21, 2014 at 7:40AM   
cupcakesss
This is sort of what I had in mind when it comes to the shelves. Two long white shelves on a white wall. In my case with lots more color ;) And the shelves up higher so there is no risk of hurting your head :)
August 21, 2014 at 7:47AM     
Shakúff
Maybe something like this?

Office

and some inspiration even though they're not white :)
Kate Cummings
August 21, 2014 at 8:00AM        Thanked by cupcakesss
greenyogini
I think the white shelves on a white wall could work well. :) I like the image you posted - I'll see if I can find any others.
August 21, 2014 at 8:06AM      Thanked by cupcakesss
halfpint2
Would you consider painting the cabinet white? It's beautiful, but I think it would work better if it were white.
August 21, 2014 at 8:08AM   
sondramartina
If you like shelves maybe leave them in wood finish to tie in with your cabinet. Painting the cabinet is too much work.
August 21, 2014 at 8:14AM     
cupcakesss
@Shakuff, I love the decor on the shelves you posted. I am not sure about the smaller size though, I think above the sofa longer shelves might work better.

@halfpint2, thank you for the tip but I wont be painting the brown cabinet. It belonged to someone dear to me that passed away and I dont want to change anything about it. :)
August 21, 2014 at 8:18AM   
sondramartina
More for inspirational photos in case that you give up the idea about shelves behind the sofa :)

Boston Townhouse Renovation

Hampton
August 21, 2014 at 8:40AM   
cupcakesss
@sondramartina, I love that black and white painting from the Boston Townhouse. I've seen similar images in rooms designed by Emily Henderson, they look really awesome.
August 21, 2014 at 8:43AM     
greenyogini
I can't seem to find too many images of full shelves behind sofas. I think the trend of going toward the picture rail (the mini-shelf to hold images) was meant to avoid the head-hitting scenarios. ;) I'm sure you can do it, but they may have to be much higher above the sofa...and finding images might be harder. There are tons of floating shelf images in bedrooms, nurseries, kitchens, and offices though! :)
August 21, 2014 at 8:54AM   
August 21, 2014 at 10:12AM        Thanked by cupcakesss
Madden, Slick & Bontempo, Inc
Just another idea, because you don't have enough! Remember when you had the sofa on the window wall? Now that the chair has moved to another room, would an arrangement like this work - with bookcases on the end wall.

August 22, 2014 at 8:15AM   
cupcakesss
Oh Madden, I thought I had thought of all options and now you have found something else I love. Especially the bookcases there I love, I dont think I would want to move the sofa back there. But those wall to wall bookcases look amazing. (maybe too large for my small house??)

One of the cabinets in my kitchen might be getting en dishwasher in it (yeeeejj!!) which means I need space for the pots and pans that are in there now. I was thinking of a cabinet next to the fridge for that. So maybe adding bookcases too might be too much for the tiny space. Any thoughts on a new pots and pans cabinet for this space would be welcome :)
August 22, 2014 at 9:49AM     
nramsey1
If you put a narrow sofa table behind the sofa you would not have to worry about the shelves being too low. You could also display items on the table and perhaps a small lamp or 2 for mood lighting. I like the shelves that extend the full length of the sofa (all painted white to match the wall). That puts the focus on your items rather than the shelves. Have been watching your evolution from the beginning and looks really great. The wood cabinet is also really a nice piece for your room. It is good to use contrast in a room to give it more depth and tone it down a bit. The cabinet and zebra print both help to balance all the color. Btw, love the chairs.
August 22, 2014 at 10:11AM     
flair lighting
switch focus for a minute on the shelves and finish up the dining room....what happened to getting a rug lol.
August 22, 2014 at 10:38AM     
cupcakesss
haha yes, I change my mind very regularly and have a lot of new ideas that sometimes work and sometimes dont ;) The rug idea was cancelled because the rug I liked and that was affordable staines the floors when it gets even a bit wet. Which isnt too practicle because spilling is always possible and I live in an area where it rains a lot too so if I come inside from the rain I dont want to be afraid to walk into my house haha.

What to do with the wall behind the sofa is still open really. I like the shelf idea and love the suggestion of a sofa table or a shelf right behind the sofa. Today I went to the store to look at options for shelves but found many too deep or not deep enough (like the ones meant to only hold picture frames) So I am still looking around at what works best.

I have people staying over at my house for a couple of days so not much time to finish the chairs or take any pictures now. Next week I will continue with the chairs :)
August 22, 2014 at 10:51AM     
Madden, Slick & Bontempo, Inc
If you're open to shelving units or a sofa table behind the couch, I am going to repost these pictures. And it would bring the sofa out further into the room. I don't think a standard shelf -11-12" deep would be too much.
West Coast Retreat
Summer 2013
August 22, 2014 at 12:34PM        Thanked by cupcakesss
Madden, Slick & Bontempo, Inc
No reason you couldn't store your pot and pans in an old dresser.
August 22, 2014 at 12:49PM        Thanked by cupcakesss
Robin Thomas
I would suggest you help everyone help you by defining a "style" you like so the comments can be focused to your ultimate vision. Say a clean contemporary look or an old English look or a cottage look etc. I think that would really help! My personal preference with the great pink couch would be more like the example someone offered with the orange or even the gray wall colors. I think the large amount of aqua is fighting the pink for control and the braided rug... Even though the colors are right is much too country with the clean lines you have going. If you could find a picture or a rug you LOVE it will make it so much easier to choose a direction. Take the color hues and style direction from it. Feels like you are all over the place. I would also suggest using some black. It grounds a space and looks awesome with bright colors. When using a lot of color the percentages should be as noted above. But keep in mind your eye needs a soft place to rest, if you have a Ross or Marshall's or Home Goods near you can find wonderful large pictures very inexpensive or maybe pair 2 or 4 together, just make sure they are related somehow. My other suggestion is to go to a fabric store and find a print you love. You can purchase stretcher bars to make any configuration. You need to start some where. Another trick I use is to go to the paint store and pick out my color wheel ( they are free) then I take them everywhere when I am shopping for the room. The big box stores also have Formica chips you may have to match your wood colors. I don't know how you feel about painting the hutch..... Probably haven't thought about it but a spectacular way to integrate old pieces in a modern setting is to paint or stain it a none typical color (white, black, gray. I keep saying gray because it look so great with the pink, blue and aqua... Best wishes honey!!
last Saturday at 2:19AM   
Robin Thomas
I know..... Is this girl writing a book????? LOL but I also was thinking the chairs in a print would add a nice transition plus spills wouldn't show so quickly. I like the sofa table idea. Nice place to put a lamp and stage. Whatever color white /black/ gray you choose for a coffee table think about doing it to the chest too. It would bring cohesion. If you want to keep it natural, then find a round coffee table in the same look. Hope this helps... ROCK ON!!!!
last Saturday at 2:41AM   
cupcakesss
@Robin Thomas, thanks for your tips and ideas. I have a round coffee table now that I painted gold. The hutch is a bit of a problem style wise as it is now but I dont want to paint it as I got it from someone who passed away now and who loved this cabinet very much. I like to keep it as it is. I also dont love the clean line and solid colors I have now (I dont see the country things you see but thats definitely not what I am going for ;)) I am looking for more prints and patterns to add to the space.

I have this example that I also kinda liked. I thought about one long shelf behind the sofa to create the illusion of one of those behind the sofa tables without the cost of one. And then add two shelves as shown on this photo. And add prints and photos on and around the shelves. I have found similar white floating shelves in stores here.
last Saturday at 2:41PM     
cupcakesss
Just some prints from society6.com that appealed to me.
last Saturday at 3:04PM     
cupcakesss
and some more.
last Saturday at 3:05PM     
cupcakesss
Some files I have that are optional to print.
last Saturday at 3:09PM     
greenyogini
LOVE IT!!! :D You're getting closer - I can see it now! :)

Don't forget that you can also find awesome images (smaller, but great for frames on shelves) in books and magazines.
last Saturday at 5:06PM   
cupcakesss
I think this would be a nice combo, and the gold text could be a diy :)
on Sunday at 3:23AM     
cupcakesss
This option is more affordable. I think it is very pretty but is does lack color. This could be added though via a frame/vase/flower pot or other decor items on the shelves.
on Sunday at 6:07AM     
cupcakesss
Society6 order is placed :)
on Sunday at 9:26AM     
Madden, Slick & Bontempo, Inc
Did that include the pink and black one?
on Sunday at 5:10PM     
Robin Thomas
I am sorry, I'm sure I could have been clearer with my "country comment". I was referring to the braided rug. The color was there but the style felt off. I also understand not wanting to change the hutch. You can bring in the more modern look by adding some items in the accent colors to the shelves or maybe leave the doors open.
Have you ever visited a second hand store? Used furniture is a great idea when on a budget. They usually have sofa tables that are very reasonable and most stores have discount days of some sort. Craig's List also has some fun finds. Since it will be behind the couch, it isn't that important what it actually looks like. It would be great if you could find one with a nice top but remember it can be painted or topped with glass or mirror etc. The bottom part would also provide a nice hiding space for items you don't need to get to very often.
Decorating doesn't need to be expensive but it should always be FUN! I hope you are enjoying this process....
on Sunday at 6:07PM   
cupcakesss
@Robin Thomas, I am definitely enjoying this process and I love talking to all of you here on Houzz and sharing ideas. I found floating white shelves that are roughly half the length of my sofa. I want to put two behind the sofa to create one long shelf. And put two up higher on the wall as on the last photo I posted. I have visited second hand stores but I found the choice to be very little and the quality very bad (cabinets that most would throw in the garbage still cost like 40 euros) This is at least the case in stores in my area. (I live outside the US) I figured the long shelf behind the couch could give the same look as a table behind it would. :)

@Madden, I ordered all 6 images from my last post. The horses, blue triangle and gold text are from society6 and the others I had the files from and had printed locally. The only thing I changed up was the gold text. I chose a different text but still in gold. The pink/black one I only liked if it were a larger print but that costs quite a bit so I didnt order that one.
on Monday at 4:11AM     
greenyogini
I can't wait to see the shelves and prints on the wall! :D
on Monday at 7:27AM   
Shakúff
Me too! I love the prints you ordered, they flow well together. :) :)
on Monday at 7:31AM   
Madden, Slick & Bontempo, Inc
Sounds like a girl with a plan. Looking forward to seeing it all up!
on Monday at 7:33AM   
cupcakesss
Thanks everyone! :) I will continue working on the chairs tomorrow and once I have them all in the room I will make some new overview photos :)
on Monday at 8:19AM     
lessismoore
Hi cupcakesss - will you be framing these the same size of vary them, as in the inspiration image?
on Monday at 9:48AM     
flair lighting
ode to progress, this is great!!
on Monday at 10:17AM      Thanked by cupcakesss
cupcakesss
@lessismore, I ordered all the images in different sizes. Also, some are portrait others landscape and one image is square so they will look quite different. I dont know about frames yet, if I should get all similar frames or different colors and materials.
on Monday at 10:56AM     
cupcakesss
Haha now I cannot get the word 'country' out of my head when I look at the dining chair with two bright colors. All I can see are those old fashioned country dresses now :O haha. What do you think of putting the original white cover back on, together with the bright yellow chair?
on Tuesday at 5:17AM     
greenyogini
Wait! Cupcakess!!!! I love the blue!

Seriously, do not worry about a word or what anyone else thinks. Do you love the turquoise and yellow chairs? If so, leave 'em as they are!

I don't think there's anything "country" about bright colors. Some textures, like braided rugs, are often used in country settings, but mixing styles is part of having (and enjoying) an eclectic style, so embrace it!

I've mentioned above that I have a whole lot of color, texture, history, and oddities in my home. Some are ethnic (from various different countries/influences), some are contemporary, some are vintage, some are country (hand-me-down items)... What makes it YOURS is how you use it in the space. You're doing a fantastic job - don't second guess your choices!
on Tuesday at 7:07AM   
greenyogini
And anyway, I think the "country" comment was about putting the small braided rugs on the chairs, which is often seen in country-style homes. You're not using those rugs anyway.
on Tuesday at 7:10AM     
Shakúff
I love the blue!! Bring it back!! :)
on Tuesday at 7:12AM     
cupcakesss
@greenyogini, I know the comment was about the rug but I couldnt help feeling this way about the chairs, looking at them again. The white cover is only on with elastic, it is easily removed again and the blue is still underneath, I didnt remove it entirely. I simply will continue working on the chairs and once I have them finished and I can see them all together with the different seating covers and decide then.

I think its also because there are so many solid colors right now. I am looking around for more prints, texture, different materials but cant really decide on anything so far.
on Tuesday at 7:16AM     
cupcakesss
@shakuff, dont worry, it isnt gone! Just under the white cover, its easily removed again ;) Just not happy with the all the bright colors being solids, no pattern or texture. Need to find a way to get more of that into the room. :)
on Tuesday at 7:17AM     
cupcakesss
Some random cool stuff for the color lovers :)
on Tuesday at 7:21AM     
cupcakesss
This rug is very popular on the inspiration images I like. What do you think of it here in my room? I want to get more in the direction of the inspiration images above. A bit more patterns, colors, silly things, and textures :)
on Tuesday at 7:47AM     
pgteach
Instead of the yellow on your chairs how about painting them a Limey green that color will definitely work with the blue and maybe be a bit more sophisticated then the yellow.
on Tuesday at 8:01AM   
cupcakesss
too much pink in one area? I do like a tray on the table.
on Tuesday at 8:08AM     
Shakúff
It's a little too much pink for my eyes, but if you like it, rock it! I Love the rug! :)
on Tuesday at 8:14AM      Thanked by cupcakesss
For my money, I'd like that table better if your lamp were an arc lamp hovering above it.
0072
Master Bedroom
on Tuesday at 8:16AM      Thanked by cupcakesss
cupcakesss
@shakuff, I prefer having a tray there, it makes the coffee table look more 'finished' in my opinion but this doesnt need to be a pink tray, I could find a different one, a different color/material. What do you think?

@decoenthusiaste, you prefer the arch lamp where is was? But then in the other corner I think. (not on the window side) I do miss having a light on that side but if I move the arch lamp the dining table has no light. I would need to find a solution for it.
on Tuesday at 8:33AM   
sondramartina
Can you now put the Zebra back on the LR wall as well as the wooden table and lamp ?
Will worry about the tray later :)
I liked it on the wooden armoire.
on Tuesday at 8:40AM        Thanked by cupcakesss
greenyogini
Cupcakess, I see that your inspiration images have more colors in them (I counted 4 in one photo: pink, purple, yellow, green) than I see currently in the space. What about bringing some of the yellow into the living room in small doses? Maybe a pillow with some pink/yellow/orange? Find a yellow book to put inside the pink tray, or add some yellow silk flowers. I think once you have the images on the shelves behind the sofa it will feel differently to you, so you may want to wait on a rug until after you have those in place.

Pattern State Nomad Quilt Throw Pillow, 20x20x6
Yellow and Pink Colorblocked Pillow Cover
Festive Pillow, Yellow
Valda Geometric Pillow Pink Yellow
Deandre Ikat Pillow Pink Purple
on Tuesday at 8:43AM        Thanked by cupcakesss
cupcakesss
Personally I prefer the zebra where it is now, over the dining table, instead of over the sofa. So I will keep it there now. The tray is back on the cabinet. I do like the idea of a tray on the coffee table so I will need to find something suitable. I would love suggestions from available stores like H&M home and ZARAhome etc.

For now I will wait on my prints to arrive before making any other changes :)
on Tuesday at 8:51AM     
greenyogini
(And also, I do love that black and white rug! :) )
on Tuesday at 8:54AM      Thanked by cupcakesss
greenyogini
Looking again at your inspiration images, it seems you need some indoor plants (maybe something small to add to the shelves, and/or a large floor plant?), and perhaps some metallic and/or glass elements and more print, as you've noted. This space is so much fun, cupcakesss! :)

I added the yellow zebra pillow above because it brings yellow into the living room space, while also echoing the zebra print from the dining room. :)
on Tuesday at 9:33AM     
lessismoore
I think that ikat pillow, Diandra, that green yogini posted is perfect: has a modern print, plus pink, yellow, turquoise. Just don't go too small on prints as those will end up looking like you have a crazy quilt with calicos after a bit. Have you considered some "granny square" throws or covers?
]
on Tuesday at 9:41AM     
flair lighting
i have to say i liked the zebra picture and no rug or a simple rug better than this. i think your sample pictures use the pink as an accent color, and yours is more of a statement piece, it may start to be too much, once you add things to the walls....i think you should get the walls done with art and then get the rug.
on Tuesday at 11:13AM     
greenyogini
Grounding the hot pink with a balance of neutrals is definitely one good way to go about it. In case cupcakesss wants more color, though, here are some pink focal point inspiration pics with lots of other color:

Loft shots
Mainline Traditional
West Wimbledon
Brillig Manor: Family Room
Summer cottage, 1 hour from Montreal
Pacific Heights Exuberance
on Tuesday at 11:41AM   
Honestly, after skimming back through the pix and a bit of the banter, I'm wondering why you haven't wrapped the wall behind your sofa in the same blue you started on the right side. Your sofa seems so crowded on that wall, so consider centering the Jacobean cabinet there as a focal point. Angle the navy chair in the corner to the right of it and float the sofa, coffee and rug in the center, facing the cabinet. Hang your art piece 5" above the sofa. At the table, try something like this with your pink instead of the yellow. You might even make these yourself.

.
on Tuesday at 11:46AM   
cupcakesss
Some little plants on the coffee table and a little plant on the side table for some 'life' and a bit of color from the pots and the rainbow colored notepapers on the sidetable. The items on the coffee table in a nice tray would make it look very pretty I think.

Inside the brown cabinet one area is already finished with nice books and a perfume bottle, for the rest of it I still have to find some items... maybe here I could add some more neutral things as you suggested?

For the walls I will decide on what to do (shelves or not, frames etc) once I have the prints here.

That kinda leaves the dining chairs. I have two almost finished now in the yellow and two are still black. With the rug here now I think keeping the chairs as they were looks more adult but with the yellow it looks more fun. Little hard to go back though with two chairs already yellow haha. Another decision that is going to have to wait until I get the prints. :)
on Tuesday at 11:59AM     
cupcakesss
Oh and sorry about the horrible lighting. Its evening here so no natural light and a phone camera flash ;)
on Tuesday at 12:04PM   
lessismoore
Another thought for your Dining chairs - You might upholster the yellow ones in B&W zebra or chevron, then do a yellow and white version on the black chairs? Just a crazy thought.
on Tuesday at 12:07PM     
flair lighting
hahah...lighting. i do like the above idea of swaping the couch with the cabinet. and having the couch face the cabinet. might be worth a try. but i dont like the rug....like you but not the rug lol. try the rug under the dining?
on Tuesday at 12:08PM   
cupcakesss
Oooh the dining chair yellow with a black and white fabric would be nice too! The black/white might tone down the bright yellow a bit. (haha there are so many layers of fabrics on there now the seating has become very soft hahaha it has the purple fabric, two layers of the blue and now maybe a black/white one too) Very comfy LOL
on Tuesday at 1:35PM     
cupcakesss
Inspiration
on Tuesday at 1:36PM     
sondramartina
I like it better without turquoise pillows but I loved the blue chair. Can you bring it back while you have the rug ?
on Tuesday at 1:45PM     
wardrobemenu
on Tuesday at 2:04PM     
wardrobemenu
on Tuesday at 2:05PM     
silk789
Have you thought about a different light shade over the table? This could tone things in more. What about a different shade for the small lamp also?
http://www.ikea.com/aa/en/catalog/products/30224112/ http://www.ikea.com/aa/en/catalog/products/80263672/ http://www.ikea.com/aa/en/catalog/products/90222172/
on Tuesday at 2:20PM     
silk789
or this one which has a the colours of your room in it...
on Tuesday at 2:20PM        Thanked by cupcakesss
silk789
What about this rug for under the dining table? http://www.ikea.com/aa/en/catalog/products/60250190/
on Tuesday at 2:23PM     
cupcakesss
on Tuesday at 3:16PM     
greenyogini
If you're looking at a new shade, I would look for a new lamp base, too. The scale is a little small for the rest of the room/sofa - poor thing is hidden behind the sofa. Deco made a similar suggestion above. This might work: http://www.ikea.com/nl/nl/catalog/products/50156862/
on Wednesday at 6:54AM   
Make sure you're not getting too busy with the black items; pillow, rug, art and lampshade - the space is too small to keep adding different patterns.
on Wednesday at 7:37AM      Thanked by cupcakesss
cupcakesss
Thanks for all the tips!

@greenyogini, that lamp by the sofa is adjustable, so I have adjusted it and its higher now :)

Just finished putting the last layer of paint on the second chair, its sunny out so it will dry quicker than normal :)
on Wednesday at 8:00AM     
cupcakesss
Spots for the yellow chairs would be cute too. Of course without the printed lampshade to not overdo it with the black and white prints. I have seen this print a lot as a wallpaper in inspiration images and it looks really pretty. Maybe it will work for the chairs too. Can unfortunately only find it in US online stores so might get pricey with shipping added. Thinking about it... :)
on Wednesday at 9:47AM     
cupcakesss
Dalmation Inspiration ;)
on Wednesday at 9:51AM     
cupcakesss
22 dollars just for the shipping of one yard of this fabric :O

Does anyone know where to get this fabric (or the wallpaper to frame a piece) at a more reasonable price?
on Wednesday at 10:23AM   
lessismoore
Why not just get some white canvas and a black fabric pen, make your own!
on Wednesday at 11:26AM     
cupcakesss
@lessismore, I think if I DIY something like this it will look very well... diy-ed ;)
on Wednesday at 11:33AM     
greenyogini
Cupcakesss, I'm not sure where you're located, but I have to imagine there are fabric sources somewhere closer. You may not find exactly what you're looking for, but maybe something similar...?
on Wednesday at 11:35AM   
cupcakesss
@greenyogini, I am afraid not, I wouldnt even know of any fabric stores in any place near me, I know for sure the city I live in doesnt have one. The online options here only seem to sell really crappy oldfashioned fabrics or thingssuitable for custumes etc. The more pricey online stores seem to only sell childrens fabrics of high quality. I wouldnt know of any place where to get fashionable/trendy fabrics in shops or online here. So I am just going to keep looking (also I have sent some emails to a few more expensive fabric/wallpaper online shops to ask them if they could get something like that) If it doesnt work out I'll look for something else. :)
on Wednesday at 11:52AM   
flair lighting
no new shade, there is enough going on in these rooms, the lighting is a simple style accent.
on Wednesday at 2:07PM   
cupcakesss
Other option for the chairs... easily available at Ikea, black and white and I have the matching pillow on my sofa so no clashing of patterns... cheap too :)
on Wednesday at 4:12PM     
cupcakesss
What do you think of the fabric posted above on the seats of the dining room chairs and this wall paper behind the sofa? Then remove the rug. So the prints in the room are b/w but not too many. (we are having a bit of a problem with the wall paper that is behind the sofa now, it needs to be removed to I might as well go for a printed wallpaper in its place) Then wallpaper the wall behind the sofa and also the small corner than was painted blue.
Yesterday at 8:58AM     
greenyogini
Cupcakesss, can you take photos that show more of the room? I'm having a hard time envisioning the way the elements go together...

My initial thoughts are these: First, I don't think you're going to need any print behind the images and shelves. Second, I'm not sure that the delicate print in the fabric (as well as the wallpaper) works with the bold zebra image in the dining room (but I'd like to see them both in that space so I can be sure). Third, when all else fails, ditch all advice and use what you love! :)

I think that something more graphic (the dalmation spots, stripes, polka dots) will work better in your space than the delicate florals you've found. (But then, designers always say to vary the size of the prints in the room, so maybe they will!) They're lovely prints and I can see why you'd like them, though! :) And I know how frustrated you must be with the limited selection available to you. Maybe the wallpaper could be tacked semi-permanently to the inside of the cabinet on the opposite wall - in a way that you could remove later?

One thing you might do while you're waiting for the art prints to arrive is to print them out (or even just sketch them yourself) and lay them across the printed wallpaper to see how you feel about them in combination. (Wishing I had some graphic design skills to help with this!)
Yesterday at 9:21AM        Thanked by cupcakesss
cupcakesss
@greenyogini, thanks for your reply! If I wallpaper it then I won't do the shelves so that wont be a problem. And I wont have the striped rug. I dont know wether my prints will work on this wallpaper... something I hadnt thought about. If it doesnt there is a lot of space that could use prints so they won't go to waste.
Maybe the print of the wallpaper should be smaller or larger, I dont know. I find choice quite limiting, especially when you're on a budget. But I will look around for other options just to have some more choice.
Yesterday at 9:53AM     
cupcakesss
I have to keep in mind the total look of the room and the wallpaper in combination with the other colors and prints I have. This is the most difficult because if it were up to me I would get weird stuff like http://www.wallpaperdirect.com/products/albany/flamingos/91687 flamingo wallpaper or something :)
Yesterday at 9:58AM   
flair lighting
yes wall paper, that is awesome! nice way to finish that wall. this is much more fresh, no shelf, no bold rug i like this idea!!! and the wall paper is fab. but i wouldnt do the seat cushions to, it will draw the eye down to them all the time. plus the zebra print photo...
Yesterday at 10:18AM      Thanked by cupcakesss
cupcakesss
so no flamingos then? ;) I kinda love them now... pink sofa's match with flamingos right? Thats common knowledge isnt it? haha
Yesterday at 10:20AM     
greenyogini
:D I love the flamingos! ;)
Yesterday at 10:48AM     
flair lighting
but then again the shelves might be nice in monochromatic... or a mirror, ok this is my thought in photos lol
Yesterday at 10:58AM        Thanked by cupcakesss
cupcakesss
So flamingo wallpaper, black lampshade, black frames for my prints?
Yesterday at 11:10AM     
cupcakesss
You think the wallpaper (whatever I choose) should also go on the small blue wall? Or should I just paint that white and only wallpaper the wall directly behind the sofa?
Yesterday at 11:37AM   
domenique1980
Flamingo print is amaaaazing! And yes I think you should put in on the small blue wall as well.
Yesterday at 11:45AM        Thanked by cupcakesss
flair lighting
i couldnt decide, and then i thought yes, or paint it white, hahahahahaha. hang that back wall then see?
Yesterday at 11:54AM     
Madden, Slick & Bontempo, Inc
Are you thinking of the white flamingo print or the pink?
Yesterday at 12:09PM   
cupcakesss
The white one
Yesterday at 12:20PM     
Madden, Slick & Bontempo, Inc
Oh good - because I love the white one and hate the pink one!:)
Yesterday at 12:44PM     
cupcakesss
hahaha the white one is pretty right. Bit weird because of the flamingo's but still reasonably subdued, not over the top, because of the color. Am seriously thinking of ordering it now. :)
Yesterday at 12:45PM   
lessismoore
I'm just concerned that it may end up reading more "gray" - same with the dried flowers one.
Yesterday at 1:26PM        Thanked by cupcakesss
lessismoore
But I kind love the Parrots one, Maybe just as a painting though :-) http://www.wallpaperdirect.com/products/albany/parrots/91688
Yesterday at 1:32PM        Thanked by cupcakesss
cupcakesss
It does look cool with the parrots too, but wouldnt the red clash with the pink? And there would be a lot of new colors added to the room with this wallpaper.
Yesterday at 1:46PM   
cupcakesss
And thank you for making those pictures, it helps to visualize things a lot better!
Yesterday at 1:47PM     
Madden, Slick & Bontempo, Inc
The flamingos kind of look a little ho-hum behind the couch. I think I still like the shelves and sofa table idea. Just saw these yellow chairs on pinterest.http://www.pinterest.com/search/pins/?q=yellow%20chairs&rs=ac&len=13
Yesterday at 1:53PM     
Shakúff
I love those parrots, but not in this room! I too think the shelves with all kinda of cute little personal knickknacks, books, etc. would be great. I feel like your room has enough pattern and texture already. :)
Yesterday at 1:57PM   
lessismoore
Hard to believe, but the parrots might be too colorful. Just one or two too many. I think you will have more fun with the shelving idea - Something you can always switch up with the accessories. Maybe black shelves on the white wall?
Yesterday at 2:45PM   
greenyogini
There really are so many fantastic options for this space - it's easy to get caught up in shifting gears.

One of the things I like to do is to use an inspiration board (like Pinterest, since I have no design skills :P), or a shopping/inspiration site like Polyvore to see items side by side. Polyvore lets you import most items into their site (if it's not there already), and then create a set that you can rearrange to your heart's content, to see how things look in the space. I use it mostly for decorating ideas.

I'm sure there are other free options that work just as well, but I find that when I can't visualize how things will look together, it helps to put them all side by side. That way, you could try out each of the wallpapers, both with, and without the shelves. You can test out the chairs in every color you can imagine, and you can see how each of the prints works with the others in the room.

Also! I found a tutorial for making your own dalmatian fabric! :) http://littlegreennotebook.blogspot.co.uk/2012/10/more-sharpie-les-touches.html?m=1
9 hours ago     
cupcakesss
Hey everyone! Felt very energetic today so after I got home I got out the white paint and repainted the (wallpapered) wall behind the sofa and also the blue part there. (which took 3 layers to cover!) Also some other parts needed touch-ups. Continued with the second yellow chair that also needed another layer, pfff yellow on black takes a lot of paint! But the chair looks good now so it only needs to dry.
I agree with the last few comments and will probably go with the shelves as they are easier to change up whenever I feel like it. I could even get a sample of that wallpaper and frame it if I still want to later on!)
9 hours ago     
I need help picking new siding, shutter and garage door colors.
I would like green shutters with maybe a neutral earthy...
Dining chair conundrum...
Dear Houzz Community, I am hoping for some advice on...
Help for fireplace!!!!
You guys were so helpful with my kitchen redo and dining...
Giant Gator Art?
First, thank you to GroverAxle who helped me get started...