Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jaxfarm

Do you like the clock?

jaxfarm
9 years ago
So I live in the foothills of denver on 5 heavily wooded acres (pines and aspens). Our living, dining and kitchen are all one great room with lots of windows and vaulted ceilings. I basically have one wall that isn't a window or kitchen cabinetry. I've tried a handful of clocks on that wall. This is my latest find - thoughts?

Comments (26)

• jeanniebalducci
    9 years ago
    It's a nice clock, but with all of the angles of windows (and you mentioned cabinets), maybe a round shape would add more interest and carry the round shape of your table as well.
    jaxfarm thanked jeanniebalducci
  • km kane
    9 years ago
    Too many square shapes. Why a huge clock anyway? I think I'd rather see artwork.
    jaxfarm thanked km kane
  • PRO
    Dytecture
    9 years ago
    Agreed, a floating shelve under the clock would help balance the wall a bit.
    jaxfarm thanked Dytecture
  • jaxfarm
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I love the idea of a buffet table but the space is just too small ( not enough room to get around it). The floating shelf is an interesting idea - would the clock sit on it? A clock works well in the space since it's the only clock in the room, other than the microwave.
  • jaxfarm
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Here's a panorama of the room (I'm standing with my back to a large stacked stone fireplace)
  • grobby
    9 years ago
    Sorry, I don't think it enhances the room at all. What about something colorful, or leave bare.
    jaxfarm thanked grobby
  • PRO
    Warner Decor
    9 years ago
    I think a round clock would look better. Here are a few ideas for you:

http://deciture.com/sabra-wall-clock/

http://deciture.com/oversized-wall-clock/

http://deciture.com/noran-oversized-wall-clock/

http://deciture.com/banded-metal-wall-clock/ (my personal favorite)

Hope this helps you!
    jaxfarm thanked Warner Decor
  • amsodapop
    9 years ago
    what about a different shape? there are a lot of straight lines in the room, I think a large round or oblong clock with either color or detail would be cute.
    jaxfarm thanked amsodapop
  • PRO
    S.J. Janis Company, Inc.
    9 years ago
    I would recommend a green plant right below it. The space is too open.
    jaxfarm thanked S.J. Janis Company, Inc.
  • Meet Me at the Wrecking Ball
    9 years ago
    Search 'console' on Craigslist. Buy something cool and rustic and cheap--then determine if a lamp is needed and if that square clock should be swapped for a circular one.
    jaxfarm thanked Meet Me at the Wrecking Ball
  • jaxfarm
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    So did a little digging and found a table and stuff....thoughts?
  • PRO
    essentials inside
    9 years ago
    I think the accent table and lamp look great there, but I feel a round clock would look better with some color. I attached a suggestion from our store.

Sue

www.essentialsinside.com: s.b. chieron wall clock · More Info
    jaxfarm thanked essentials inside
  • PRO
    Rebecca Mitchell Interiors
    9 years ago
    What a fantastic home you have! Agree with those who recommend a round clock instead. Looks nice with the console table too.
    jaxfarm thanked Rebecca Mitchell Interiors
  • PRO
    DSC DesignWorks
    9 years ago
    I adore your home and those windows are to die for. I would go with a round clock. I know that that bit of advice has been repeated several times. But it would make your home look amazing.
    jaxfarm thanked DSC DesignWorks
  • jaxfarm
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thank you for everyone's advice. I'm struggling finding a round wooden trimmed clock (like the square one) without Roman numerals and 32" to 36". We have a 2 and 3 yearold and teaching kids how to read a clock with Roman numerals is tough. Thank you again!
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    I wouldn't go for a wood framed clock - you have enough wood in the space! Why not go for an oversized black and white round clock with numbers?
  • Stacey
    9 years ago
    Hi jaxfarm , Beautiful room! Check out iron accents.com. They have a rustic wrought iron large (30 in) round wall clock with regular numbers. Love the table and lamp too.
  • jaxfarm
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I was looking at 36" clocks on thebigclockstore.com they will customize any clock for you - color and everything. But then I found this square one and thought...hummmm...maybe
  • jaxfarm
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Maybe the lighter one with black numbers and hands
  • Julie F
    9 years ago
    What about not a clock on the wall but like a buffet?
    jaxfarm thanked Julie F
  • miga29
    9 years ago
    Agreed with others on too many squares and angles already for that particular square clock; along with so many other hard glossy/ glass surfaces. I think a textured piece in a vertical shape would be nice: a woven fiber hanging tapestry, a sculptural wall art piece, perhaps metal art incorporating curves, or simply a tall large leafed plant.
    jaxfarm thanked miga29
  • Meet Me at the Wrecking Ball
    9 years ago
    Second graders can struggle with telling time, so for now, find an awesome round clock and spend your time reading to the kids instead:) I'd lose the elephant under the table too.
    jaxfarm thanked Meet Me at the Wrecking Ball
  • miga29
    9 years ago
    I don't know if you can edit comments ^ to clarify - I'm thinking of fiber art pieces, nubby and with a lot of texture, in contrast to all the shiny hard flat going on. I hope it's OK to post links from outside Houzz? There are also some round pieces pictured here.

https://www.google.com/search?q=fiber+art+wall+hanging&client=safari&hl=en&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=R3WGU9CqFomXqAblv4HIAg&ved=0CAoQ_AUoAw&biw=1024&bih=672&dpr=2#facrc=_
    jaxfarm thanked miga29
  • PRO
    Masterworks Window Fashions & Design, LLC
    9 years ago
    jaxfarm, I do like the addition of the small console table and lamp, for warmth and practical uses, but the proportions are off between the clock above the table and the table. I would suggest that when you change out the clock you go a little bit smaller. The large size worked when there was no table, but with the petite table, the large clock is overwhelming the table. The advantage of the round clock which has been recommended is that the clock will work within the geometry around it, the angled ceiling line, the strong window frames, rather than giving us yet another competing straight line. Alternatively, you could have a baker's rack on that wall, with a small table clock on one of the shelves, among other accessories. Some baker's racks have doors at the bottom, which could help hide toys, which I suspect is the purpose of the elephant basket. Another option is a small two door cabinet instead of the console, for a little more weight on that wall, and still be able to hide clutter within if needed.
    jaxfarm thanked Masterworks Window Fashions & Design, LLC
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    I would also hang the round clock about 8-12 inches higher than your original photo.