Would You Buy a House You'd Never Seen?

Emmeline WestinMay 28, 2014
This morning I read about a new trend, that seemed quite spontaneous (if not foolish). People are buying homes they've never set their foot into, just to get in first with a bid.

Have you or would you buy blind? Would you trust your real estate agent that much?

Emmeline, Houzz

britannia joinery · More Info
I have a friend who did just that! With the help of her realtor, lots and lots of photos, a thumbs up from the home inspector and opinions from a couple of friends, she took the chance. Success!

Not sure I could do it, but she really had no choice as she was thousands of miles away and had no opportunity to see the home in person.
2 Likes    Bookmark   May 28, 2014 at 9:07AM
At least look through the visual tours or photos first before deciding to see the house in person.
1 Like    Bookmark   May 28, 2014 at 9:12AM
Pavinia Cotton
A friend of mine bought a house with about 5 acres of land deep in the countryside of Bulgaria after seeing just one photo, and having never even set foot in the country! It needs a lot of doing up but it's his working project and the only property he owns.
1 Like    Bookmark   May 28, 2014 at 9:45AM
Vivienne Sung
It would be crazy to buy somewhere for your own home this way - for me 90% of a house purchase decision is the "feel" when I walk in the front door. Sometimes something can look absolutely beautiful but it just doesn't click when you get there!
3 Likes    Bookmark   June 6, 2014 at 2:12AM
Donald
It's a smart idea especially when location is your biggest factor. Any house can be changed to suit you but you'll never be able to change the houses location.
2 Likes    Bookmark   June 6, 2014 at 3:01AM
M Rene Designs
Investors do it all the time, especially if they are not planning on keeping the house. They will put it under contract, without seeing it in person, then flip it to another investor / buyer for the spread between what they purchased it for and what they sell it for.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Emmeline Westin    June 6, 2014 at 5:19AM
I did! My current house was bought sight unseen by me. I bought it over the internet. I called the realtor and made an offer. I did have my 2 SIL's come and look at it. Problem with that is they like everything, but at least they knew the area was good;) The pictures over the internet looked soooo much better,lol. Would I do it again... maybe;)
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Emmeline Westin    June 6, 2014 at 5:30AM
Sustainable Dwellings
I wouldn't, but some friends of our did... accross the country. Big project, lots of work needed. Yikes. It is hard enough when you look several times before making an offer.
    Bookmark   Thanked by Emmeline Westin    June 6, 2014 at 5:33AM
Mark Bischak, Architect
I may not need to physically see the house, but I would require a lot of information about the house to make a calculated risk.
1 Like    Bookmark   June 6, 2014 at 5:39AM
S. Thomas Kutch
I'm sorry.... I'm old school. I wouldn't buy without thoroughly going through it.....that's just how I roll.
    Bookmark   Thanked by Emmeline Westin    June 6, 2014 at 5:57AM
Comwest Construction
I will not buy before I look at a house at least once.
    Bookmark   Thanked by Emmeline Westin    June 6, 2014 at 6:09AM
Genevieve
I suppose that people whom have other views and plans on a location without the intentions of living in it, who would rather regard it as an investment or a great purchase are the perfect candidates for purchasing a home that is on the market and not seeing it , it could also be just a fixer upper to be resold at a higher price after all the work is done or a money pit that could also turn into a great loss and a very bad investment . If the price and money are there why not ,a lot good deals are offered out there why not in a home ....to do this we must have trust in others a 110% .
1 Like    Bookmark   June 6, 2014 at 6:58AM
bluenan
No, I would need not only to walk the house, Realtors pictures can be so misleading, but I would need to assess the neighborhood. Is there a purple house or a hoarder on the street, is my neighbor's yard overgrown and full of barking dogs, can I hear the highway from the patio....?
2 Likes    Bookmark   June 6, 2014 at 7:06AM
blrussell
No and not without an inspection.
    Bookmark   June 6, 2014 at 10:08AM
Amar Patel
The words trust and estate agent do not mix.
1 Like    Bookmark   August 17, 2014 at 6:43AM
What is the coolest thing you've seen in a flip house?
I will be flipping a house... What would be the coolest...
btaven
What's the weekend task you never get to?
I know that every weekend, I plan to put up some shelves...
Luke Buckle
What would make you want to buy this house?
We're selling our house. Market is uber-slow in our...
sgausman
Never seen a kitchen quite like this one before! Need help!
We have just purchased this 15 year old home and I...
kellychipley
Thinking of starting a staging career...need opinions
Hi! I have always liked to decorate and thought about...
Anna Cabo
Help!! Need advice finishing my dinning room!!
Hello everyone. I am currently trying to furnish my...
jenstotes
Please help completing my great room
It is a very bare space at the moment as I have focused...
Stefanie
Corbels
What are the best dimensions if I want four decorative...
bigcees
Ficus Lyrata leaves problem!
I need your help .why do the leaves curl and crisp...
Kimmy Jane Santiago