What does our house need done??
Sheila Haugen
Paint color? Suggestion on rock? Any help appreciated.
Gravitas, Inc.
Embrace the Ranch. Embrace the stone. Green apple door color, maybe a yard.
4 Likes   Thanked by Sheila Haugen    May 28, 2014 at 3:48PM
Sheila Haugen
What should we do with the rock? Keep it or replace it or is there something we could do to it to update it?
1 Like   May 28, 2014 at 3:50PM
nfbv
Landscaping will do wonders. Currently the stone is the focal point. Plants with height set in front of the stone walls will soften and help balance. A contrasting color for the front door would look great. Nice ranch style home!
6 Likes   Thanked by Sheila Haugen    May 28, 2014 at 4:05PM
mfwolfe
sweet house. Landscape as directed above. One reason it is so great is because it doesn't look like every other house on the block.
5 Likes   Thanked by Sheila Haugen    May 28, 2014 at 4:07PM
mossergirl
Re-stucco and cover the stone and then landscape
0 Likes   Thanked by Sheila Haugen    May 28, 2014 at 4:19PM
bungalowmo
Keep the stone & add some grass, cute bushes under windows & that front yard is begging for a big Silver Maple tree! Plant now....enjoy for years!!

Mature trees offering shade make a homey yard!
4 Likes   Thanked by Sheila Haugen    May 28, 2014 at 4:27PM
sumacyork
Totally agree with the comment "Embrace the Rock" . It adds great character and will be a beautiful backdrop to landscape material. Look at mid century houses for reference.
3 Likes   Thanked by Sheila Haugen    May 28, 2014 at 4:29PM
Sheila Haugen
What do I do to the rock? Is their a way of painting it (not entirely just dry rushing if u know what I mean) more grey tones to update it?
0 Likes   May 28, 2014 at 4:32PM
Yates Rocky View Contracting Inc.
I think all of the above is true, but I would likely change the windows on the left to larger ones, with consideration to sun exposure; also moving the right post to the left a couple of feet maybe 3', removing the center post completely, of course this means transferring loads; I don't think that the loads are that high anyways, but need to be calculated including wind loads by an experienced contractor in your area. You know it is a clean looking house but there is some imbalance to the front at first glance.
Steve
0 Likes   Thanked by Sheila Haugen    May 28, 2014 at 4:32PM
cctuttle
For me the problem with the stone is that it is too light. Ask at a paint specialty store not a big box store if there is a translucent stain type product that you could rub into/onto the stone to darken the stone maybe even a couple of different shades to give it more depth and variation.
0 Likes   Thanked by Sheila Haugen    May 28, 2014 at 4:47PM
linjen
Maybe a cool cinnamon color on the front door, wide sweeping curved sidewalk going to the driveway. Fill the front with plants, flowers n trees that do well in your region and mulch well. Big colorful ceramic pot on the porch with a fern n a rocker if it will fit. Love the rock, porch n color. The 2 front windows on the left could be bigger but just fine the way they are. Beautiful house!
0 Likes   Thanked by Sheila Haugen    May 28, 2014 at 4:48PM
njmomma
This is a double post.
And you really don't like that "ugly rock".

I would not do anything to that rock until after you have landscaped and then decide if it needs something more. I'm sure after you have beautifully landscaped your home you may see things differently.

Don't rush and do something you may regret!
2 Likes   Thanked by Sheila Haugen    May 28, 2014 at 4:53PM
mossergirl
I wouldn't landscape until you deal with the rock you dislike. Doesn't matter how much landscaping you do. If you don't like the rock deal with that first
0 Likes   Thanked by Sheila Haugen    May 28, 2014 at 4:55PM
cctuttle
definitely paint the door a stunning color and all the trim something other than white... not sure what
0 Likes   Thanked by Sheila Haugen    May 28, 2014 at 4:59PM
njmomma
If you truly want to dry paint the rock, I would get an artist in so that the colors would look as natural as possible.
0 Likes   Thanked by Sheila Haugen    May 28, 2014 at 5:02PM
The real, blond rock is more expensive looking than anything you can replace it with, so don't rush to do that as you will devalue your home. Landscaping will make a big difference in how you see it -

The siding color is a nice gray and I'm guessing that the white windows are probably vinyl so won't change even if you change the trim color to an off white / closer to buff or pale gold that will relate better to the stone - so for that reason I can see why you may have embraced the white. If you have any trim around the smaller upper windows or any of the windows are paintable, I agree you would be wise to paint your trim a warmer off-white tone. Mybe bm manchester tan. . or sw ivoire . Just shift the paintable white trim with one coat of a warmer tone of white (the colors i posted will read white on an exterior) and it won't read out as so wrong - don't worry that the windows are "whiter" it will help make the leap to them for the eye which won't really notice they don't match. One coat of one of these creamier tones on all the white painted trim and the garage door would help a lot. The front door can also help bridge this gold and gray elegance . .

The black / bronze trim / storm door surround at the entry is the thing that jars with the white door behind. Pull this and paint it with rustoleum primer, then paint it with the front door so you have a single tone coming from the entry. Consider sw restrained gold - http://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family/SW6129-restrained-gold/
It will be elegant against the gray, appear to pick up on the undertones in the stone but add a bit of sunlight there. . .
0 Likes   Thanked by Sheila Haugen    May 28, 2014 at 5:18PM
keenplanner
Keep the rock! It's actually very pretty. Make it part of the garden.
Aside from the obvious landscaping, get creative with the structure.
I would make the two small windows into French doors and, in your landscaping, create a small, private patio for the bedroom or bedrooms that are behind the rock wall.
Bigger windows or doors = less rock.
In your landscape plans, plant something like Boston Ivy or creeping fig on the rock wall. This will soften the look significantly, along with whatever shrubs you plant in front of the walls. stick bits of soil between the rocks and plant some succulents, or ferns.
0 Likes   Thanked by Sheila Haugen    May 28, 2014 at 5:21PM
kiturah
You've got no choice but to embrace the ranch look with stone. Your house NEEDS spectacular landscaping. Spend your money there. Possibly if you live where you can get good use of it, enlarging your porch and wrapping the new landscaping to tie into it.
0 Likes   Thanked by Sheila Haugen    May 28, 2014 at 5:23PM
glitznglamme
I like your ugly rock:). I agree with lots of the posts, you need to landscape, put bushes in, add shutters, maybe window boxes, by the time you landscape the stone will disappear. If you want to add a color to it, you could use a semi-transparent concrete stain. I would consult a professional before doing it.
0 Likes   Thanked by Sheila Haugen    May 28, 2014 at 6:06PM
mfwolfe
I would also get rid of the pillars on the porch and add a railing. The downspout could be closer to the house I think so it doesn't look like yet another pillar.
0 Likes   June 1, 2014 at 12:01PM
blrussell
I got rid of annoying and ugly downspout. I'm sure larger windows would be a bonus on the inside too. I like the rock.
0 Likes   June 1, 2014 at 1:58PM
bgfuqua
the rock is great and expensive looking - it is a wonderful back drop for landscaping.
0 Likes   June 1, 2014 at 3:34PM
VizX Design Studios, LLC
This was probably addressed in the first set of comments. I would the leave the stone on the house just the way it is and landscape the area with plants and maybe a retention wall if the yard slope alloys it. I would also put some design effort into some landscape lighting around the beds with highlighting a few select plants and maybe the stone on the house. You have a really nice house by the way.
0 Likes   June 1, 2014 at 4:16PM
I was given a painting that could be cool OR maybe it is totally lame?
It is an original Paris street scene by Antonio De...
need help my home office and library
I'm trying to built a home office with my existing...
What has happened to this site/app?
I have been visiting this site via the app for quite...
Help Window treatment for large expanse of door/window area
I have a very large expanse of doors and windows that...
Need advice for dining/living room area - L shaped.
Live in FL; color palette changed a couple yrs. ago...