Help with boring bathroom
Shannon Leckinger
Hello- we are purchasing a home and we are focusing on other rooms before the master bathroom- so I have to make do with just paint and a pretty fabric shade/towels/accessories. I do not like the slate but there is nothing I can do about it right now.

I know eventually we will do a faux wood floor (tile) and the complimentary color will be a pale aqua. What would you paint the bathroom? I am almost thinking a gray color so that the slate will kind of blend. Then use aqua accents in the shade and towels/area rugs. We will also change the fixtures to a rubbed dark bronze.

Any suggestions?
bungalowmo
That is one LARGE bathroom. Personally, I don't think I'd do tile in any other combination other than black & white. It is an expensive job to re-do all that & to add a color like aqua in the tile....after X amount of years, you'll be tired of it.

Black & white is like a blank canvas. Add any color using paint & linens & you can change the look for next to nothing for the next 20 years, or more....
1 Like   Thanked by Shannon Leckinger    May 28, 2014 at 4:44PM
juliet87
I LOVE that bathroom. I think it could be gorgeous with some really pretty accessories.
1 Like   Thanked by Shannon Leckinger    May 28, 2014 at 4:46PM
Shannon Leckinger
We are not planning on changing the tile...just accessorizing and painting. I need help with a paint color but I don't care for the slate. So I'm wondering if I should try to let it fade into the background with a grey colored paint? Then accessorize with aqua? And pretty accessories :)
0 Likes   May 28, 2014 at 4:56PM
juliet87
I love the slate! What about aqua on the top ?
0 Likes   May 28, 2014 at 4:59PM
Shannon Leckinger
You do? I don't know what it is but I'm just not digging it in the bathroom. If that was on a floor I would like it. Maybe it's just because it is so stark against the walls. The aqua on top could be a possibility. It just needs some personality and pretty accessories maybe. Thank you!!
0 Likes   May 28, 2014 at 5:12PM
doctornancy
I don't think aqua will work with the slate. It will be too bright and too green. Perhaps a slate blue will coordinate better.
3 Likes   Thanked by Shannon Leckinger    May 28, 2014 at 5:35PM
Shannon Leckinger
That is so cool! How did you do that (can you tell I'm new to this)?
0 Likes   May 28, 2014 at 5:39PM
doctornancy
HI, Shannon, It's called "virtual design", uses a software called Photoshop. Pretty nifty, huh?
1 Like   May 28, 2014 at 5:41PM
Shannon Leckinger
Thanks! I will look into that!
0 Likes   May 28, 2014 at 5:43PM
Karin Madgwick
I would paint it black to bring drama to the slate. Add the weathered copper tap ware with copper coloured towels. In time add frameless shower glass and copper bowls. Very glam and unusual!
0 Likes   May 28, 2014 at 5:44PM
beachlily
My bathroom is slate tile...love it! My walls are painted aqua green on bottom, creamy yellow on top...I usually use aqua or brown towels.

I'd go with the aqua or blue. If they are your " happy" colors, then that's what you should do:)
0 Likes   May 28, 2014 at 5:44PM
beachlily
Just noticed pix are showing as much yellower...must have been the flash....
0 Likes   Thanked by Shannon Leckinger    May 28, 2014 at 5:45PM
Karin Madgwick
I forgot to add white shutters on the window and black high gloss on the cabinet. Happy renovating.
keenplanner
That corner tub has to go, along with the cabinetry, and the shower pan.
0 Likes   May 28, 2014 at 5:48PM
inkwitch
You might not prefer a "dark" bathroom, but darker colors would work better with this tile than anything pale. The photoshopped gray is okay, but consider an earthier tone, one of the tones in the slate. There are a lot to choose from! And don't be afraid to go really dark. It requires attention to lighting to keep it from looking like a cave, but it can be stunning. I'll see if I can find some examples in houzz's photos to give you an idea.
0 Likes   Thanked by Shannon Leckinger    May 28, 2014 at 5:48PM
inkwitch
1 Like   Thanked by Shannon Leckinger    May 28, 2014 at 5:51PM
2 Likes   Thanked by Shannon Leckinger    May 28, 2014 at 5:54PM
inkwitch

I particularly think this antiqued golden tone works well with slate.
2 Likes   Thanked by Shannon Leckinger    May 28, 2014 at 5:57PM
Shannon Leckinger
I know, I know! Don't like the cabinets or the corner tub either! But I have bigger projects downstairs, lol!

I do like that dark brown with the tile. I agree- I think darker is the way to go if I can come to terms with it. Dark gray??

Karin, wish I could swing that, it sounds stunning but not really my style. I would love to see it in someone else's bathroom because I could definitely appreciate it!!

Beachlilly, very pretty bathroom...like your slate much better :)

What do you replace the bath pan thing with??

Thanks to all!
0 Likes   May 28, 2014 at 6:02PM
Shannon Leckinger
ohh...like that last one, too!
Thanks so much!
0 Likes   May 28, 2014 at 6:03PM
catlady999
Inkwitch's warm brown will give a much better tone to the room, complimenting both the slate and the vanity. Being a neutral, you can then bring in aqua towels, rug, bath/shower mat. You can alternate sets of different colors (rose, green, gold) for instant variety.
2 Likes   Thanked by Shannon Leckinger    May 28, 2014 at 6:04PM
laurakdesigns
The contrast is so extreme that it doesn't give you a good feel. However, I would be careful about going too dark or it will feel like a Tuscan cave. A more medium shade will blend it all together, like this

3 Likes   Thanked by Shannon Leckinger    May 29, 2014 at 2:30PM
Rebecca Mitchell Interiors & Boutique
I'm wondering if you should actually paint the walls a dark colour taken from the slate so that it kind of disappears? But then I worry that the floor will look to light in comparison. Perhaps you could paint only the window wall and dark colour and make it an accent wall - to draw the eye over the other side of the bathroom and pull it all together? Without seeing the window wall it's hard to know for sure. Another way to go would be to pull out the dark blue-grey in the slate as a wall colour for all the walls? Don't know if any of this helps. Good luck from Montreal!
1 Like   Thanked by Shannon Leckinger    May 29, 2014 at 2:41PM
Shannon Leckinger
Ugh...I'm so torn. I agree that it might make the floor look so light too...are you guys familiar with Benjamin Moore Alexandria beige? I guess I will be getting lots of paint chips :)
0 Likes   May 29, 2014 at 6:06PM
laurakdesigns
Alexandria Beige is a great color!

You may want to think about painting your cabinets too
1 Like   Thanked by Shannon Leckinger    May 30, 2014 at 2:45PM
Shannon Leckinger
I think it might go well right? I do want to paint the cabs too but I have another post about my kitchen cabinets that I need to figure our first!! I'd love your input there as well :)
Thank you!
0 Likes   May 30, 2014 at 2:53PM
help with long boring bathroom
I need help with color & design. Long & high ceiling...
Boring bathroom needs help!!!
What color(s) should bathroom be painted to give bathroom...
need help with boring wall to wall mirror in bathroom
I have heard about and seen in the design photos beautiful...
My front entry is boring, boring, boring - please help!
My front door area is a snoozefest! I have two sidelights...
BORING Bathroom - Let's Liven it up!
So this is the bathroom that came with the apartment....
Carpet vs. wood floor in bedrooms?
Do buyers prefer carpet or wood floors in the bedroom?...
Need help designing an open kitchen for a self professed slob
I am slowly renovating our prewar apartment that was...
Bath remodel where to stop replacing lead with copper?
We have started renovating a second floor. 1920's bath....
Paint color advice for basement teen room please
Ideas for paint color back wall is going to have a...