Salon Update
marilynw25
I would like suggestions for updating my salon and entry. The chairs and flooring are staying.
bepsf
A photo would help...
March 14, 2012 at 9:08pm   
marilynw25
Apparently this uploader doesn't work??
March 15, 2012 at 9:53am   
marilynw25
I will try again
March 15, 2012 at 10:13am     
Manon Floreat
There's a lot of visual input in this room, so start by taking everything off the walls so you can see the bones again. Then take everything off the shelves. Then take the shelves down, because you need to paint.

I would take inspiration from that fabulous vintage chest of drawers you have and go Hollywood Regency Glam! Paint the walls a dove grey with one accent wall that's royal blue, bright yellow or any bright saturated color. Make the accent wall the middle third of the wall the sink is on (you've kind of already done it with the sage green). Find a mirrored or painted sideboard and center it against the accent portion of the wall. Top it off with a large oval mirror and chandelier style candelabras on either side. Find a glam tray and display SOME of your products on it - keep the rest stored in the sideboard along with towels.

If you can use the chest of drawers as your hairstyling station and get rid of the shelf thing you're currently using, that would be great. Put a chrystal chandelier above it. Then under the window you could place some chic chairs for your waiting area with a glass table and picture books. I say picture books so you can keep those posters off the walls - they're distracting. Besides the beauty factor should be about your clients, not random product models.

Oh - And the kitties MUST stay, because they are the epitome of glamour! What a fun project - enjoy!
March 15, 2012 at 11:18am     
Manon Floreat
Some more visuals . . .
March 15, 2012 at 11:20am   
marilynw25
Thanks for all the ideas! I am going to take all the stuff off the walls and paint. I was thinking of all white (benjamin moores cloud white) including the trim and closet doors and shelving. I will have to keep the sheving because if I put my product inside a side board it probably won't sell. That is the whole point of displaying it! Also I need to keep towels handy to the sink as they are used constantly and I also use the wicker basket for wet towel storage. The old dresser would be very nice as a counter in front of the stying chair but I need to be able to plug in my appliances and my counter has 4 plugs in front and 2 underneath. Also the dresser isn't mine! I would like to move it out and replace it with something that doesn't block the window. When I saw the pictures I realized how cluttered it looks...it doesn't seem that way when you are in the room. I guess I have gotten used to it.
March 18, 2012 at 12:42pm   
marilynw25
The kitties ARE beautiful...actually I have 6 of them and they frequently visit my shop.
March 18, 2012 at 12:44pm   
Manon Floreat
Your salon looks like it gets good light. I think white could be pretty, too. Just make sure you add different textures and tones of it. You could also go with a coastal spa vibe. Wicker baskets and maybe a seagrass or jute rug. Or for contrast a colorful graphic print. These are kind'a cool:

Hand-Hooked Chelsea Southwest Multicolor Wool Rug

Aqua Crochet Indoor-Outdoor Rug

Lattice Rug

I understand about the products. Do you have to ALL of your products out on display, though? I mean, could you choose a couple from each product line to have on display and store the rest? Or maybe designate one place for display?

If the chest is removed, then you could have your window back! I think it would be a nice seating area. Maybe rattan? Check these out from IKEA for $70 bucks. There are ones for $30, too. They'd be cute with pillows.

Rattan Chair

I understand about your styling station. . . is there anything you can do about the cords? Seems like there has to be some sort of "cord tamer" out there.

Check these out these salons:

Oh! And you are certainly welcome for the ideas. I love this kind of stuff and am so happy Houzz came around. Have fun!
March 18, 2012 at 3:44pm   
marilynw25
Here is the finished salon!!
April 17, 2013 at 7:27pm   
marilynw25
I took everything out and painted. The salon is Stonington Grey and the porch is Escarpment from Benjamin Moore. The mirror wall was wallpapered and the closet doors, towel cupboard, magazine rack and garbage can were painted Grey Mist at my husband's auto body shop. I replaced the closet door knobs and put up a new blind on the window. A new clock and mirror were added. I love it!!
April 17, 2013 at 7:35pm   
marilynw25
I also removed the mirror from the dresser so the window is not covered anymore.
April 17, 2013 at 7:36pm   
marilynw25
New art for the porch.
April 17, 2013 at 7:41pm   
JWinteriors
What a remarkable transformation!
April 17, 2013 at 7:43pm     
marilynw25
New art for the porch.
April 17, 2013 at 7:45pm   
marilynw25
Anyone know how to delete our own posts on our page??
April 18, 2013 at 9:50am   
need help with choosing a colour to paint wardrobe in master bedroom
I have mirrored bedside tables and a mirored dressing...
Need help with layout and furnishing living room!
We are moving into a new house and have a blank slate...
Thoughts on rendering of our house plan?
This is first draft so we are mulling it over. We want...
Any suggestions on how to update the most hideous fireplace on the pla
Moving to a rented apartment and this is the fire place...