Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oldkenthome

black and white checkerboard tile floor in kitchen

oldkenthome
9 years ago
We tend to prefer traditional design style but aren't sure how to use our black and white checkerboard flooring to make a statement...without looking contemporary. Previous owner put in cherry shaker cabinets and gray countertop. Room lacks focus. Any ideas? House built in 1967.

Comments (10)

• laurakdesigns
    9 years ago
    I think you need to pull the black in there. Maybe black granite counters? Light fixture with black shades, etc
    oldkenthome thanked laurakdesigns
  • PRO
    Rebecca Mitchell Interiors
    9 years ago
    Black and white checkerboard floors can work in traditional designs too. What's not working for me are the light yellow walls - neither with the floor nor with the cabinetry. If you paint the walls another colour that alone will change the feel of the kitchen (although you will probably need to change the grey counters too as they don't look like they belong with anything). I don't normally recommend this BUT I think a dark green (see Herb Garden 434 below) might work well with the floors/cabinetry. Otherwise, a deeper/darker yellow (see Hannah Banana CSP-955 - I don't make up the names!). Something to balance the room as the floors are taking up too much visual weight. The white doors and trim seem too white for the floor - painting them a creamier off white would look better and less modern/stark. Hope this helps. Good luck from Montreal!
    oldkenthome thanked Rebecca Mitchell Interiors
  • hayleydaniels
    9 years ago
    I would add some dark red to the room to balance the black and white tiles.
    oldkenthome thanked hayleydaniels
  • makaloco
    9 years ago
    Beautiful floor and cabinets! Black honed granite would look great on the counters. I'd also lose the stainless appliances, which to me scream contemporary/modern and are too "in-between" for the floor, as is the existing countertop. Agree with others about a richer color on the walls. I'd choose a deep red, too. Or a retro fridge in deep red or yellow.
    oldkenthome thanked makaloco
  • oldkenthome
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks so much for the suggestions! So helpful! We had been thinking about soapstone or black honed granite counters, a cream subway tile backsplash with cream walls and green accents...inspired by the attached photo. Maybe the cream is too light.... It just feels so busy in this room and we thought a neutral palate might tone things down.
  • PRO
    Marcia Makoviecki, Assoc Broker, Coldwell Banker
    9 years ago
    Your idea of black soapstone counters is excellent! I'd suggest painting the island white to lighten up the space. Then add apple green subway tiles. The black/white floor is so bold I wouldn't be too wimpy or neutral with other colors.
    oldkenthome thanked Marcia Makoviecki, Assoc Broker, Coldwell Banker
  • lnicol8
    9 years ago
    Could you paint the cabinets white? And the island cabinets black or espresso... Would look sharp
    oldkenthome thanked lnicol8
  • PRO
    Cynthia Taylor-Luce
    9 years ago
    Oldkenthome, the photo you just posted above is one that I have in my inspiration collection of my very favourite spaces. I think you're halfway there--there's some very good advice being given on here.
    oldkenthome thanked Cynthia Taylor-Luce
  • oldkenthome
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    Interesting! That may be a little more "statement" than I want to make but neat idea! I like the idea of a green backsplash...hadn't thought of it. These ideas are so helpful. Thanks!