Need Help With Livingroom Wall Color
mariatri
Please give me some suggestions on choosing a new wall color for this livingroom. The colors in this room are now predominantly gold. This was not the plan!! When the furniture fabrics were chosen, they were chosen to coordinate with this rug and it all ended up way too gold. The chair is a cranberry color and the swivel chairs have specks of burgundy. I'd love to purchase a new rug but that's not in the budget right now. The furniture all stays.

So, I'm thinking of perhaps painting the livingroom a shade of green, though nothing dark since I prefer bright and sunny. There are hints of green in the carpet so I thought I'd try to bring that color out to break things up. This room opens completely into our kitchen which has champaigne colored cabinetry and much cream/warm colors. Would a light green in the livingroom be a bad idea since I'd be introducing a cooler color? I will be adding crown moulding around the room as well if I go ahead with painting. Part of me is hesitant to go to green and maybe I should concentrate on trying to find the right rug to ground things. A large rug is needed and anything I've found that works with these gold/burgundy colors are out of budget at the moment. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
patriciarhall
The rug and furniture are very pretty. Consider a shade darker color than your kitchen cream color and replace the sofa pillows with ones to bring in cream and green. The green in the rug will come to life more.
May 30, 2014 at 8:11am     
You're heading the right direction with green and green is not always a cool shade. I would work with the rug and sofa to find just the right shade of green with warm yellow undertones. It will make for a very nice space. Notice in the photo how the wall behind the sofa already appears to be green - that's the direction to work toward. Ask the paint store staff to help you find warmer greens like pale olive, warm sage, etc. My monitor could be showing that wall as green, but if yours shows it as green, print out a pic to take to the store for a place to start. Take one of the sofa cushions along and another good close up photo of the rug with you too.
May 30, 2014 at 8:27am     
mariatri
Thank you so much for the input. I had narrowed my green paint chips down to about 13! Then took another look at our kitchen (painted BM Cameo White) to get an idea of what was a bit darker. It turns out the Cameo paint chip is right next to Montgomery White which happens to look way too much like the current color/kind of gold. I'm determined to find a pale green that brings some warmth but it's challenging. Attached is a picture of the eating area of the open kitchen....
May 30, 2014 at 12:03pm     
christinanick
Personally I have done this combination and the green just isn't appealing. With the gold tones of the sofa I would stay light or shade darker than kitchen and bring in your colors of green with pillows as patriciahall said. I have also found that BM 1591 is stunning with the gold tones of my sofa but it may be that it does have threads of navy and such tied into it.
May 30, 2014 at 2:50pm     
bgfuqua
I would paint the same color as the kitchen.
May 30, 2014 at 3:02pm     
laurakdesigns
Here are some suggestions...I'd try to pull the main background color from the rug. It's looking like a sagey gray tone in the photo.

Sagey colors

Gray owl
Brooklyn apartment

Tranquility
SW Vista

Wick ham gray
Benjamin Moore Wickham Gray HC-171
May 30, 2014 at 3:32pm     
mariatri
I have a question for those of you who are recommending that I paint the room the same as the kitchen. I would like to do this because it would keep the visual flow between the rooms, but there is absolutely no white or cream in my livingroom carpet. The hints of green, rust and brown are in the subtle floral pattern with much yellow/gold as the primary color. There is absolutely no gray in it. Without any white in the rug, would gold and off-white look alright? Part of me feels like green would look a little unappealing just like christinanick noted above. I did put a paint chip of cameo white against all the green chips and green doesn't really complement the cameo. I found the BM color of Limestone 513 and thought it may be neutral enough with only a hint of green but am worried the couch will just blend right in to it. Has anyone seen this color in a room? Also, what would be a good white to coordinate with Cameo White? Would I just ask the paint store to darken it somehow? Thank you for all your help....
May 31, 2014 at 5:14am   
kaywestmaas
Bless your heart. I had a very similar situation, just with a different colour pallet. I found my solution by taking cushions from the sofa and chairs to a reputable decorating fabric store. A professional decorator helped me pull a choice of patterned fabrics that complimented my upholstered pieces. I ordered enough fabric for sofa throw cushions. The walls were painted a neutral colour that was pulled from the fabric. I think this -- plus not using the dark cushions on the sofa, and changing the lamp shade covers from cream to something compatible with the fabric / paint -- will give you a solid direction. Note: I love Houzz.com and the opportunities to interact with others, but choosing paint colours is dependant on accurate samples, and everyone's monitor is going to shade your photographs differently.
May 31, 2014 at 6:07am     
kaywestmaas
Don't be discouraged, fabric and paint possibilities are endless. I'm sure you'll find something you love!
May 31, 2014 at 6:19am   
laurakdesigns
The best option is to paint it all!
May 31, 2014 at 7:41am   
christinanick
I've attached a photo of the BM 1591 as the wall color behind what my sofa fabric is and a accent pillow with an assortment of colors including a touch of your green. The pillow is from Room & Board. I think adding such a light color like 1591 instead of a green is a more updated feel. Of course 1591 works in my space an may not in yours but I wanted to give you a visual. Maybe send a close up of your sofa and rug...
May 31, 2014 at 11:48am     
christinanick
ps...I do like what Lauradesigns put up...love that direction.
May 31, 2014 at 11:51am     
apple_pie_order
Here are a couple of ideas. Take some close up photos of the rug with all the lights on, in broad daylight. Include a coin for scale and a plain white index card sized piece of paper for color balance. Perhaps a close up photo of the rug will show some other colors that could be used as inspirations.

Paint a foamcore board with the extra Cameo White paint from the kitchen. Take a photo of it next to the rug and next each piece of furniture. In real life, it will look different than on our monitors, of course. Prop it on the mantel for a few days.
May 31, 2014 at 12:35pm     
Rebecca Mitchell Interiors & Boutique
I wouldn't even begin to recommend a wall colour until I had a better photo of your area rug. Can you please post one?
May 31, 2014 at 12:58pm     
fos5
Hard to say without knowing if your big cranberry chair and ottoman are a warm or cool cranberry. I am going out on a limb, but I would suggest an accent wall surrounding the fireplace in a dark brown with red undertone such as BM CC 2 raphael. Would flank the fireplace with the light gold, (on my computer they look peach) chairs. Move the burgandy chair and ottoman to the other end of the room where gold chairs are. The only pattern in the room right now is the rug. Would be good to add more in a mix of colors from the rug on sofa pillows and a nice big piece of eye catching art work over the fireplace. Art should not be as wide as the mantel. Don't see anything wrong with the rug you have. Appears in the picture the light color chairs are blocking the passage into this lr? Do you plan to have any window treatments? You have a good start.
June 1, 2014 at 7:12am     
christinanick
Really love fos5's idea. I didn't realize the cranberry chairs were there and staying (you stated that in the first post, sorry I missed this!) Giving the fireplace wall some drama with color and art while putting the gold chairs there will really change the feel. I know you said light and bright but I think you'd love this change with it still being light. Would also add window treatments/panels and patterns in pillows as fos5 said.
I would still stay away from the green paint, I feel it would lend to a dated feel.
June 1, 2014 at 9:10am     
potchiemagoodleberry
I think the wall color should come from the rug.....perhaps something like the soft creamy beige? then use the green from the rug as an accent color for curtain and toss pillows? fyi: sage-y green would likely be too much on the walls....that color is a true room darkener as it absorbs the light, and it tends to look muddy in large applications since it has a brown base. (grey based grays are easier on the eye) so the green is better suited as an accent color. an easy way to add a modern edge to the space overall is with drum shaped shades on your lamps, and some large scaled, simply matted and framed wall art. also consider removing the mini-blinds....they are too utilitarian looking for this nice space. if privacy or light control is an issue, consider bamboo instead. it adds instant texture, especially if layered under curtain panels...gives a great "finishing touch". good luck!!
June 1, 2014 at 9:31am     
mariatri
Thank you so much everyone for the input! Yes, the cranberry chair adds to my "problem" with this room and is actually how I ended up with the other two chairs with burgundy specks on gold. A furniture store designer did pick out the couch and chairs, not I. Anyway, The two gold chairs are swivel chairs meant to be used for entertaining when I'm in the kitchen area. They can turn to face me when I'm kitchen-bound. That is why they are in the center. I have considered moving them as well but haven't gotten there yet. I'm definitely leaning toward painting the room the same as the kitchen, and may even pick out a different off-white or cream. I picked up a swatch of BM's Barely Beige but it doesn't really look right up against the furniture colors-to my eyes anyway,and doesn't look good near my champaigne colored cabinetry. Also, the main reason I've held off on curtain panels and artwork is due to the carpet and the gold color issue. I figured those would be the final touches. I will attach more pictures of the furniture and rug colors soon.
June 1, 2014 at 11:00am     
mariatri
I'm attaching some additional pictures of my furniture fabric and rug. I'll also send pix with a paint chip soon.
June 1, 2014 at 11:25am   
mariatri
Here is the cameo white paint chip and a piece of white paper next to the colors. Just wondering if I should stick to cameo white as in the kitchen or pick an entirely new color that will work in both living and kitchen areas. ....
June 1, 2014 at 11:28am   
apple_pie_order
Thanks for the additional photos with the paint chip and white paper. I'd go with the Cameo White. It will be an excellent backdrop for the colorful furniture. Eventually, when you replace the rug, you may be able to find additional colors that bring it all together. The alternative is probably a light green, exact color can't be determined from monitors, of course.

A really wonderful piece of art over the fireplace could also bring the room colors together. If you match the upholstery colors to paint chips, you can tape them to some foamcore and keep it in your car to check against any new artwork that catches your eye.
June 1, 2014 at 12:20pm     
christinanick
I am not a designer but this is what I would try...
Fireplace wall gets a brown, others get the cameo or similar that ties into the kitchen.
Panels on the windows.
Change out the lamps with traditional base & updated drum shade. Light patterned accent pillows that bring in your colors.
Change out wreath for art as Potchie... described.
Change out faux plants for a large statement plant (real) in the corner left of fireplace.
I wouldn't be afraid to leave out the brown accent wall and paint it all one color. There is something fresh about one color and having the panels close to the wall color as long as it's not too stark but more soft for your particular space, like the cream thats in the rug.
June 1, 2014 at 1:49pm     
Rebecca Mitchell Interiors & Boutique
I think Cameo White would be to stark in this room and not contrast enough with your lovely fireplace and trim. Is there another paint chip on the same stick that has a little more depth? I was going to recommend matching the wall colour to the lightest part of your area rug - same tone but slightly lighter.
June 1, 2014 at 3:01pm     
laurakdesigns
Mariatri-- thank you for posting the close up photos of the rug and fabrics. I still say pull the background color from your rug and go with that...the new photos help, as I don't like previous colors I suggested. Just wasn't seeing enough of the rug!

Anyway, here are a couple of suggestions -- keeping it lighter so you have a fresh crisp look.
Interesting, this first photo is quite similar to your rug and even has gold toned furniture so you will get the feel for it. It should work with your kitchen as well.

Stingray
Woodinville Retreat

Warm gray-- on the green side
Revere Pewter
Washington, CT, Home

Your current off-white shade is too much contrast for your furniture. An alternate wall color would be a very pale shade of your sofa--- much lighter than you have currently, but I think the Stingray or Revere Pewter will give you a more current look.
June 1, 2014 at 9:12pm     
fos5
When you put the cameo white next to your furnishings ( your pictures) it is very cold and jumps out. Has no connection to your furniture. Think it will look like primer on the walls. Best way to know for sure is buy a small paint pot sample and paint a section of the wall in a couple different locations. Try a couple different colors you are considering.
June 2, 2014 at 2:59am     
JKirsten Homes - custom home builder Austin, Texas
Purity White (PPG) with a Matte finish is a wonderful selection. Has a warm hint of beige (very subtle) to keep the furniture colors blended and warm.
June 2, 2014 at 3:54am   
mick50
I think the suggestion of a creamy wall color, pulled from the middle of the rug, is the best. It will add the level of sophistication the gold furniture needs. I also agree the lamp shades should be changed to a drum shape. A beautiful piece of large art over the fireplace will help pull things together. This picture shows how elegant creamy off white walls can be with gold. The blue ceiling doesn't hurt the eyes either!
June 2, 2014 at 3:55am     
fos5
mick50. Very beautiful large gold and blue room .
June 2, 2014 at 4:06am     
mariatri
I really love all these comments. These are very nice attached room pictures as well. The cream, gold and blue look beautiful together, and I'd love to bring in the Revere Pewter but I have this cranberry chair and gold/cranberry chairs that wouldn't quite work with blue/gray. My ceilings are only 8 ft. high so I wouldn't feel comfortable painting our ceilings anything but white. Also, my carpet is showing a bit too light in my attached photos. It is truly a yellow/gold. The light creamy color that you all may b seeing may be from the "sheen" that the daylight is casting since the rug is made of a polypropolene and not wool. I may have to switch out this carpet and have every intention to do so. I have found a couple that may help my predicament and would like to attach them but can't figure out how to get the pictures off the internet into this discussion. One happens to be the Nourison Jaipur JA-25 but it may be too formal or dark this room. (?) There is another much lighter colored rug that I found and I will try to get the images so you can see them. Thank you.
June 2, 2014 at 4:57am   
Nancy Walton
I think a warm beige would be the way to go--a neutral background for your lovely furnishings. The windows look a little bare, and drapes would go a long way to "finish" the space.
June 2, 2014 at 6:04am     
mick50
Just to clarify...I was not suggesting painting the ceiling blue. Cover up the blue ceiling and that room is mainly gold and cream, which is a very appealing combination. Put sample paint colors on large foam core boards and carry them around the room, behind different pieces of furniture. And in different light. Saves a lot of guessing. Good luck!
June 2, 2014 at 6:27am   
mick50
Is this the rug you're considering? Jaipur JA 25
June 2, 2014 at 6:32am     
mariatri
Yes, that's one of the rugs. Dark as it is, it happens to be more burgundy like my chair and pillows and much less gold. I thought it would bring in many other colors and anchor the floor space a bit. If it's a bad choice, please let me know. I really like the opinions. Another option I am considering is the Antalia Area Rug on homedecorators.com. I'll try to attach...
June 2, 2014 at 6:45am   
christinanick
Like the JA25-it's got that great blue in it....
June 2, 2014 at 6:58am     
laurakdesigns
Hmmmm- you originally said you like bright and sunny but the one rug is fairly dark. Have you considered just recovering the cranberry chair? I think it's dated and the source of issues with this room. That would open up a lot of possibilities.
June 2, 2014 at 6:59am     
fos5
Both these area rugs are very pretty. The first one has blue in it if you are going to add blue to your room. The second looks more like your furniture colors. The center pattern in the Antalia will dictate how you place your furniture. The Jaipur doesn't. Some people cannot live with furniture not lining up with the center pattern, like a coffee table. Taking a symetrical pattern like this rug and lining up the furniture asymetrical bothers some. Can you bring them home and try them? Always look different when you get them home.
June 2, 2014 at 7:02am     
orchardsgal
After all the paint discussion, I think your primary issue is lack of accessories to bring in accent color and pull room together. Dining area is the same...all neutral. Decide whether you want to stay with cranberry or bring in blue (or both). I agree the cranberry chairs are dated. Once you decide on accent colors, bring them in with window treatments, art, lamps, pillows, etc. Carry the same accents into the eating area. Painting is great but will not pull the room together.

I'd also try putting the pair or chairs on the fireplace wall to make it more of a focal point.
June 2, 2014 at 8:36am     
mariatri
I have looked into reupholstering the 1 cranberry chair and ottoman and realized it cost as much as buying new. I also wouldn't know what direction to go in regarding color in the fabric. I was really trying to keep cost low, as in repainting and adding accessories like pillows, window treatments, art. The rug was just another idea (a plan B of sorts), and keeping current paint color. The rugs are online and I couldn't easily bring them home. I'd still really like to find a paint and tried the online painting of the room on BM and Pittsburgh. When I add the creams/whites to the room, it really does look stark-but maybe because I'm lacking the accessories. Once I can narrow it down to a few colors, I'll get samples onto the walls. Still trying to work with what I have before I go down a more expensive route. I definitely plan to bring in accent colors and love these ideas.
June 2, 2014 at 8:51am     
So maybe back to the rug for inspiration.
June 2, 2014 at 9:28am     
Nancy Walton
That Golden Fleece color is just about the shade of beige I was envisioning, but I'm afraid it would have too much of a yellow tone to it, so I would opt for something in that value in a beigeier tone, if that makes any sense.
June 2, 2014 at 1:39pm     
Nancy Walton
The Believable Buff would work well, too.
June 2, 2014 at 1:40pm     
taylorpasic
Painting it the same color as the kitchen, or a similar color, would open up the room and make it seem bigger and brighter. It would also compliment the existing colors in the room without being too matchy matchy if you tried to exactly match a color from the rug or another piece. Adding window treatments would help the room a lot too. It would make it look warmer and just make the room look finished in general. If you wanted to tie in a color from the rug, window treatments would be a good place to do that. That way, if you ever get sick of the colors, you could easily change them by taking down curtains, rather than repainting the whole room.
June 2, 2014 at 2:08pm   
fos5
I think you are making too much out of the wall color. Remember the wall color is not the star of any room, it is merely setting the stage for what is happening in the room, re; soft furniture, case goods, lighting, draperies, accessories and a pop of color for interest and a focal point which should be the fireplace and all the other elements that bring a room together. When you leave the room the only thing you should NOT remember is the wall color.
June 2, 2014 at 2:33pm     
glschisler
Your colors on your furniture are the same as mine in my great room. Because we use no window treatments either,& look out to green, green is the third color used as an accent in our room. Our walls are SW banana cream ( yellow!). Change out the pillows on your sofa, use a cream throw on your cranberry chair. Basically you want to use three colors throughout the home. What are yours? We know gold & cranberry...
June 2, 2014 at 2:55pm     
christinanick
I still like the yummy creams mentioned above, Cameo White or Believable Buff, you could test them both. I would use this photo

as the inspiration. Notice the wall color and the drapery panel color-you could do this while keeping your budget in check and keep all your pieces.
Additionally, I would still rid the room of faux plants and add a real statement one for color and texture, art for above the fireplace and pillows.
June 2, 2014 at 5:08pm   
mariatri
I've attached some pictures of some paint colors I'm considering. This is my initial try at trying to narrow colors down before I paint them on the wall. I'm still thinking of just continuing the cameo white so that chip is included. I placed some paint color chips on my carpet and also against the two colors currently on the walls. I like the idea of creamy beige and/or something lighter than what is there. If any of you are good at ruling colors out due to them having the wrong undertone, this is exactly what I need. I have difficulty seeing what is yellow, pink, peach, cool, warm, etc. I've included bronzed beige 2151-50 (my favorite, I think), Dunmore cream HC-29, Philadelphia cream HC-30, lighthouse landing 1044, and linen sand 2151-60. Not exactly in that order in the pictures. Thank you!!
June 3, 2014 at 7:11am   
christinanick
From what I see I would choose HC-30. I personally would stay away from 2151-50 which looks too green, I still think that is the wrong direction for an updated and fresh look.
June 3, 2014 at 8:15am   
mrsberger08
Why not think about doing an accent wall as well? That would allow you to bring in two colors to help tie everything together. I personally like the Believable Bluff posted above, with either the Sconce Gold, Saguaro, or even a touch lighter Polished Mahogany on the fireplace or TV wall. I like bold colors, and I think one of those paired with a light cream would help tie everything in nicely, including your infamous cranberry chair. I do agree that I would add some window treatments, updated lampshades and a piece of art or photograph to help complete the look. Looking at the hardwood, your wood furniture and how it moves into the kitchen (counters, cabinets, etc) I think a light cream would be nice and wouldn't clash with all the gold. I would go with the fireplace wall as the accent, to help make that the focal point of the room. Doing that will also help lengthen the space (kitchen and living) if done correctly, especially with the antique look of your cabinets.

The program that decoenthusiaste used to pull the paint colors is an awesome tool. I suggest using it on even other pieces of your furniture to see if there's a common color(s) that come through and possibly go with those.

Good luck!
June 3, 2014 at 9:43am     
mariatri
I appreciate all of the comments, they all keep me reconsidering. I am very comfortable in clean lines and unfussy details. An accent wall would just bother me personally and I just can't talk myself into it. When we first moved in, the walls on either end of the length of the living/kitchen areas were painted a deep burgundy while the longer walls were gold. At that time, I had a different couch so the colors didn't work. Funny how I ended up with these furniture colors! Anyway, I couldn't wait to paint over them. So, that's my reasoning for sticking to one wall paint color and varying my accent colors with accessories. I looked over SW paints but didn't pick up the Buff. I'll take a better look at it but my contractor likes BM paints.
June 3, 2014 at 10:20am     
kaywestmaas
This has been a long discussion string with lots of good suggestions. There are as many options as there are participants. At some point, you need to take action, buy a few samples of the paints that you find most pleasing (i.e. a cream, a green and a white with gold undertones). Paint large samples on the walls and "live with them" in the room to see how the light reflects at different times of day. Personally, I like coloured paint on my walls. So, I'd likely introduce a light fabric (with gold, burgundy, green) and pull a light green for the walls in the Living Room and Kitchen.
June 3, 2014 at 11:21am     
May I suggest that you will not be happy with any tinkering in the room until you rework the burgundy chair. I agree that it should be recovered and wouldn't worry about comparing that to buying new - anything new you buy won't match it in quality. The rug is lovely but that is all the red you want in the room except accents. The greens can be nice and neutral but will emphasize the gold. I think you want this chair to be navy - it can work in a classic way with the rug and the walls and trim and furniture and give your room new life - you can change pillows out to blue and creams with green touches in different shades and the golds will sing happily. Add red and blue on July 4th for fun, but otherwise, abandon the burgundy. At christmas, emphasize pine green and gold. . .

If you buy your upholstery fabric separately and take it to a local upholsterer, you will save a lot - they mark up their fabrics a significant amount and their choices are often too limited. Here is a terrific cobalt hopsack at calico in a bright navy / cobalt http://www.calicocorners.com/p-5085-hopsack-robert-allen-fabrics-cobalt.aspx
June 3, 2014 at 12:10pm     
fos5
kaywestmaas. Think you are absolutely right, enough time spent on paint colors. Time to put this project into action and make decisions. It's been over thought.
June 3, 2014 at 12:37pm     
Nancy Walton
I have to respectfully disagree with Libra when it comes to upholsterers--having been one myself and having dealt with them as a subcontractor. An upholsterer does make money on the markup of fabric, this is true, but when you bring them your own fabric they usually charge more for their labor than they would if they were making the "passive income" on the markup of their fabric.
June 3, 2014 at 12:49pm   
14thstreet
I would love to see what a very pale blue-green-gray would do in this room. It would keep the feeling light and airy. I see pieces of that blue color in your floral part of your rug, and it would make the gold tones in your fabrics very rich. Cranberry + blue gray can't go wrong either...similar to this photo:

]
June 3, 2014 at 12:50pm     
June 3, 2014 at 12:51pm     
Nancy Walton
Personally, I don't think bringing in a navy or bright blue would be a good design choice for this room. Blue is not the complementary color of yellow--purple and yellow are complementary colors. Your color scheme is a triad, not complementary. Lime green would work on that chair, though. The 60-30-10 rule would still apply in this room. Sixty percent gold, thirty percent green, and 10 percent red would be successful against a neutral backdrop of beige walls.
June 3, 2014 at 12:55pm     
christinanick
I LOVE 14thstreet's concept pictures...it would be good to know the color because it's along the same lines as the previous colors above (wickham gray) as it looks blueish not green to me. Agree whole heartedly with ridding yourself of the cranberry chair. I didn't want to throw that into the loop as you were only considering paint but it is a game changer here. If the chair wasn't in the mix the options open way up. Leaving the chair and using Nancy's 60-30-10 with a neutral cream wall makes so much sense.
June 3, 2014 at 1:22pm   
Keesee and Associates, Inc.
I tried to read through all your posts, and got about half way. There's so much advice here! So I apologize if I'm repeating something. You've had a ton of great suggestions - my favorite of which is finding lighter colors from your rug to pull into the couch pillows and future curtains.

In my opinion, I think the cameo white in your kitchen would look terrific with your furniture. It's warm enough that it will go well with the gold, creams, green, and cranberry colors in your room, but it's still predominantly neutral so it won't compete with those colors.

I think kaywestmaas is right, don't be afraid to try out a few samples and live with them, instead of just getting new suggestions on endless paint colors. At the same time, though, don't be afraid to stick with a color that's already used in your home. I think it will go well, and it will add consistency to your open space. After all, if you use too many colors in a home, it can make it feel disjointed from room to room. Unity is not a boring, but a calming effect. Best of luck!
June 3, 2014 at 1:23pm     
MarleneM
I agree with Laurak and go lighter as in this photo. It looks very light and fresh to me, but still traditional and elegant. Unfortunately doesn't provide colour info.

June 3, 2014 at 1:52pm     
Nancy, I see your point and meant no disrespect to upholsterers . . I'm in a part of the country where the labor element of upholstery is not significant, but that isn't true everywhere. Think the cream sounds nice but you have too much yellow and gold for it to give you the look you want. If the chair (+ pillows) was different, I think you would love your wall color - much less disruption to change a chair than to paint . .
June 3, 2014 at 2:34pm     
Deborah Baldridge
I have just painted my living room with SW Decor White. It looks like sunlight on the walls. Very nice with white baseboards, and would look good with both the gold and the cranberry. I would paint the whole area including the kitchen the same color and maybe an accent wall on the fireplace wall. Good luck!
June 3, 2014 at 6:50pm     
sandyteeuwen
I would take out the burgundy chair. Reposition the gold chairs directly across from the couch. I would also paint the fireplace wall in a shade of brown that works with the gold color of the opposite walls.
June 3, 2014 at 9:00pm   
danslack
paint colors change so much during the day and evening with lighting, even from one room to another that painting samples in different locations is very advisable. It always amazes me how the color can so change from room to room, but be the same color. Even from wall to wall....
June 4, 2014 at 4:15am   
mariatri
Thank you so much everyone for all the advice. I didn't realize this would continue on as it did!! I pretty much agree with some aspect of everyone's advice. Yes, that cranberry chair has always been my biggest problem. I'm about to set forth on trying to cover it or rid of it. Until then, I hope to put a lighter color on the wall. Haven't picked it yet because my husband has to approve of it as well and he's traveling. Narrowing it down to about three. NancyWalton - you are right on about the colors in the room. There is absolutely no blue in my rug. It is simply gold, green, rust, brown, brick red. I'd love to bring in a light blue/gray but will have to get a new rug. I'm going to start with what I have and paint. Once that's done, if I don't like it, I'll move on to that chair and/or the rug. I'll be referring back to all these great comments while talking my husband into the changes. Thank you!
June 4, 2014 at 5:18am     
christinanick
Good luck, please send pictures of the end result...I'm sure everyone is anxious to see how it all turns out.
June 4, 2014 at 6:15am   
dooders1981
I personally think that what you need is a much better , up-to date furniture arrangement so you can see that room in an updated light before worrying about paint. You have nice pieces but it's arranged like grandmas house. Rug can be last. The couch should be pulled away for wall , place the two matching chairs together across from the couch with small end table in between. You can try anchoring the area between chAirs and couch with coffee table but it appears to be too small. The TV cabinet and bookcase need to go. Put TV above FP and put leather chair with ottoman where book case was. Anchor area with your rug then paint with neutral gray or creamy white.
June 4, 2014 at 8:15pm     
christinanick
Would make a huge difference and worth trying for sure.
June 4, 2014 at 9:32pm   
matics1
Why has no one suggested a SureFit slipcover for the cranberry chair? I have 3 alternatives to use for Fall, Christmas and Spring that transform the room in one easy step. Least expensive thing to do and will give you an idea of what color works best if you still want to professionally recover the chair.
June 5, 2014 at 12:15am     
mariatri
Dooders1981, I'd love to place the tv above the fireplace but the fireplace is raised from the floor. My husband refuses to watch a tv placed that high. I've tried on numerous occasions to talk him into it, but he refuses. This matter just adds to my wanting to work with what I have. That you say the room is arranged like grandma's house may be how you see it, but a furniture store designer actually came up with the arrangement. Everyone's tastes are a matter of opinion, none necessarily being the right one. I mentioned trying to work within a budget as well, perhaps you missed that. Therefore, the new leather chair and ottoman don't fit my simple request of new paint color ideas. I am starting there, with rearranging and details as following steps. Matics1, I did look into the slipcovers and am considering that in the interim. I'm glad someone has tried them and recommends them. Thank you everyone....
June 5, 2014 at 5:07am     
Nancy Walton
All the ready-made slipcovers I've ever seen look like they are nothing more than a dropcloth maskquerading as a slipcover. Of course, I think that's because I make custom slipcovers and there is a world of difference!
June 5, 2014 at 8:11am     
matics1
You can check out SureFit's website. You can get a brochure and sample fabrics. Be sure to get the chair style that most closely matches your chair. It looks like yours has a loose T cushion so get a cover with the separate T cushion piece. They don't look like drop cloths anymore and will fit nicely with the round arms of your chairs. You may also be able to get the matching ottoman cover and square pillow covers for your sofa, if needed. SureFit is sold at Bed, Bath & Beyond so you can probably find it locally and not have to go through ordering it online. Watch out for "SureFit" knockoffs sold at stores like Big Lots. The quality is not the same. I don't work for SureFit, but I sure sound like it! There may be other manufacturers out there. I took to heart your original request to do the least expensive thing. I personally like the color of your walls. Once you see how nice the chair can be, you may want to get one for your sofa and change them out with the seasons like I do. I also have dogs so ours get frequent washings and have proven to wash well.
June 5, 2014 at 9:25am   
fos5
matiatri. Gramma's house? Silly. What you have is lovely and just needs to be pulled together. Agree no TV over the lovely fireplace, would take away from that nice focal point. Get your new paint color on the wall and go forward with accesorizing your room and adding some pattern and colors from your rug and maybe window dressings. Sit back and enjoy YOUR home.
June 5, 2014 at 10:21am     
Beau Design Studio
Wow you have gotten loads of great advice......but I will throw a colour in to the mix for you to try a sample of: Benjamin Moore Balboa Mist is a wonderful neutral with some depth. Put up a few samples and see what you think. Best of luck, it is a beautiful room.
June 8, 2014 at 4:56am     
lsemartha
I think the room is all too much the same tone. I would lean to a soft grey for the walks. With pale grey as a 'starter idea' head to HomeGoods And go to art area first Looking for a large painting to put over the fireplace (hang no higher than 6" above the mantle top). When you find something that catches your eye and you like, put it in your cart..that will become your focal point for the room. With that in your cart, go to pillow area and continue your shopping (replace brown pillows on sofa (2 pillows adequate...), get a couple more coordinating pillows (colors from painting and a touch of color of upholstered pieces) for occasional chairs at the same time. On your way home take these items into your paint store and have their decorating specialist help you pick out right shade of grey. Once that is done (walls painted. Painting hung, pillows in place start working on the special touches..head back to H.G., Marshall's, TJMaxx etc. You now have a thread and direction to follow...all will fall into place. Btw... Don't ask the guy in your life "what do you think?"... They always like what they have and don 't want a new project! LOL!

PS... Don't be afraid to venture out of your 'traditional' comfort zone with painting. ... You'd be surprised at the 'life' this can bring to your home. Oh, one more thing.. When all is done a couple of floor-length drapery panels at the window behind sofa will 'finish' the feeling of the room.

Good luck
June 8, 2014 at 5:52am     
poof
Christinanick's idea of moving the two gold chairs to the fireplace wall was brilliant! That would open up the room so much! I think they are too large for where they are at the moment. And there is a lot of unused space back in those corners. The windows there would allow them to be used for reading, knitting, or whatever. Painting a brown accent wall behind them would be too strong, but a darker shade of whatever neutral you end up with would make that area more cozy and give a bit of contrast for the gold chairs, helping to make them a feature.

That neutral from the kitchen is too bland for the living room..
June 8, 2014 at 6:12am     
k2wallace
Try Anew Gray from Sherwin Williams. It is gray, but on the green side. I have it on the walls in my den where I have a ceiling that is gold.
June 8, 2014 at 6:13am   
curlycook

I agree with the grayed green suggestion above. This is BM Gray Mirage; it's modern, serene, and versatile.
June 8, 2014 at 7:04am   
Tasha Harris
Hi, I'm not sure if you are after a darker cosy feel or a fresh feel to the room . I think either way a designer to pop in or taking as many samples of what is in the room to someone may be the way to go .
If you really don't want to go that way look thru pictures until you find a room you love that has most of the elements in yours and copy ... Sample pots to get the exact color you like.... It's pot luck to get it right the first time ( unless you are educated in design).... This is how I fumble thru it... Lol
June 8, 2014 at 7:33am   
graciel57
Lighter cream on the living room walls to meet with the kitchen colour. Crown molding in the living room. I admire the lack of curtains in the room because to me, curtains are just view blockers and dust catchers, although they are a way to add colours to a room. Maybe a more decorative molding around the windows to make up for the lack of curtains. You also need a really nice piece of art over the fireplace--I think that would make a night and day difference in there. The wreath should be somewhere else. Finally, I would move or paint white the book case near the TV. I think you have too many different woods in the room that kind of detracts from the cohesiveness, especially when those two, TV console and bookcase, are close together it's noticeable.

But don't ask to see my livingroom! :) Funny how you can critique someone else's room and can't figure out your own. :)
June 8, 2014 at 9:37am     
laurenwrighton
Try the color Chammomile from Sherwin Williams. It is cream but with a hint of green, especially in different lighting. Definitely change out all accessories to lighten it up for summer. Try TJ Maxx for accessories, it is very affordable. Good luck! And add some plants, that always gives the room another element.
June 8, 2014 at 11:21am     
Shayna O
I would add soft creamy cushions on the couch to tie it all together....something with a floral print....perhaps in rich in jewel colours and something really beautiful to go with the rug.the walls colour looks great,I wouldn't change it.
June 8, 2014 at 11:50am   
Shayna O
I would place the 2armchairs next to the fp.and move the TV towards the bottom end of the room-(either left or right end side of the room)more or less where the bookcase is in the pic,and place it at an angle so that its facing and is visible for anyone to be able to watch TV from any spot they're seated in in the room.the bookcase and TV stand could be technique painted in a brushed-stroked creamy green pattern/finish to bring it all together and to tie in with the jewel coloured creamy scatter cushions on the sofa and armchairs.
June 8, 2014 at 12:26pm     
Shayna O
I'd place a huge full sized gilded ornate framed huge mirror atop the fp.
June 8, 2014 at 12:30pm     
prince55
please post 'after pics' so we can all see what you decide in the end !!!
June 8, 2014 at 4:28pm     
turkeyhillic
I see some type of rose color in your rug and can imagine it would look great as your wall color, you sure don't need more green in there. You can go to Sherwin-Williams Color Visualizer and put in a photo of your room and try different colors on the walls, it will help you be sure which direct to take the room. Seriously, check out a pale rose!
June 8, 2014 at 5:15pm   
abbyvr
I think a rich chocolate brown on the wall of the fireplace leaving the other walls as they are would really warm up the space and make it more inviting rather than formal....unless you are trying to achieve formal.
June 8, 2014 at 6:50pm     
rlcatron
The rug is beautiful. It looks expensive. It would be a shame to spend a lot of money to replace it. The golden yellow on the walls actually looks good with the rug, the cranberry chair, the sofa, and the white wood trim. I think the gold chairs are the problem as they don't really go with the shade of green on the sofa or the dark cranberry chair. I would have the gold chairs re-upholstered or have slip-covers made. I don't think you will be satisfied with ANY wall color with those gold chairs. However, if you keep the gold chairs, the same paint as the kitchen would be your best bet. An alternative would be to rearrange the furniture and put the two gold chairs in front of the large window.

Colorful artwork on the walls, plaid or floral cushions for the sofa and chairs, and shorter, fatter lamp bases would be helpful regardless of the wall color, as well as having a table w/lamp at each end of the sofa to put something dark between the sofa and the gold chairs.
June 8, 2014 at 8:23pm     
Anna Erlank
Would make your furniture stand out, you have a lot of light to handle the dark colour and is very calming.
June 8, 2014 at 10:21pm     
poof
mariatri, to get a picture from the web to your computer message, highlight the picture on the web and hold down your shift key. Keep your finger on the shift key while you move the picture to your desktop with your mouse. Use the "attach images" below the message space to add it to your Houzz message (I have a Mac).
June 9, 2014 at 5:07am     
joy5390
Reading through the comments, looking at the paint samples posted, I think your answer is very simple. Cameo White, the same color as your kitchen. Your pictures of this color shows how well it goes with your furniture. It will lighten up your room and maintain a sense of continuity and elegance to the space.
June 9, 2014 at 5:13am     
Shayna O
If u were to keep the 2gold armchairs as they are,I'd say get lovely cream cushions for them edged with a shade of green that makes u happy lol,the shades of all the cushions in the room should be able to tie in with the beautiful rug u have there.....even the cranberry piece u have there is a rich jewel like color...u cud use the same cream for all the cushions and have them edged with jewel shades of green n cranberry and sun luvly florals or prints....I can c this room as a beautiful colourful jewel....yet cosy n comfy ...
June 9, 2014 at 5:56am   
Shayna O
U could even edge of your richly coloured plain cushions with jewel coloured fringe n or tassels to match the sofa/chair it's goin to b on.pick up one neutral shade that'll work for all the sofas for the cushions n jus add different coloured edging,binding or fringe n tassels....n u cud use 1or2 luvly floral cushions in complimentary colours jus to bring it all together
June 9, 2014 at 6:09am   
dempsey2012
While paint colour is certainly important, I think your room needs to be pulled together. When I look at your room, it appears that all the furniture seems to stand alone rather than flow together. The side and coffee tables are not to scale with your heavier furniture. The book shelf does not flow into the rest of the room. Perhaps some curtains on the large window would help to bring some colour and texture into the room as all your furniture lacks in pattern. The fake plant on top of the bookshelf is rather dated and does not add to the decor. New cushions in a more light pattern and that would co-ordinate with your curtains--if you get them--would start to give your room a more cohesive look. Some dramatic art work would also help to pull your pieces together. I would take out the bookshelf, get a longer console for your TV, worry less about the colour in the rug as it appears relatively neutral, pull colour from curtains and pillows and change out the small tables. Once you have done that, colour for your walls will naturally come to mind.
June 9, 2014 at 7:22am     
dempsey2012
It would also help for you to dress up your mantel, remove the wreath above it and add roman blinds that you keep pulled up. As I said, your room needs to be pulled together and paint colour alone will not achieve that end.
June 9, 2014 at 7:28am     
knoxranch
I actually like the current look, and I generally am not fond of yellow tones.
June 9, 2014 at 10:37am     
Laura Campbell
I just painted my bedroom the Valspar Allen & Roth Collection color named Portico and I absolutely love it. It is calming and soothing with hints of blue and green. I think it would look great in a living room...might need to change the gold furniture, though. Good luck!
June 9, 2014 at 2:34pm   
frenchcountrychick
I agree with knoxranch and somehow my walls ended up the same color. lol I spent $2,500 on No VOC paint for my new home so don't want to change colors just yet. I think if you added some window treatments in a contrasting color this might help. I have burgundy curtains in my house which looks good with that color. A black and gold pattern in my dinning area valances that looks good with the paint as well.
June 9, 2014 at 4:59pm   
mjzurita
Your room is beautiful, just not done yet. Window treatments with nice rods. Art on the walls, change lampshades to drum style. Bring a lamp to the store with you to try different shades. Accessories over fireplace.now get rid of the pillows and replace with something lighter a paisley, or floral.
June 9, 2014 at 5:36pm     
ihavelearned
I see a lot of warmth from the warm colors on the furniture and walls. Try gentle cream by BM on the window wall/sofa wall. The fireplace wall may look good in Dill Pickle or Dried Parsley all by BM. I think your furniture looks lovely.
June 9, 2014 at 8:54pm   
rlcatron
mariatri... As the comments on this keep rolling in, I keep re-looking at the photos of your living room and kitchen. Also, I've read all of the comments prior to my first post. I agree with others that the problem is more of a need to bring the room together than it is the colors. Sooooo, on second thought and budget-wise, too:

--I would leave the living room walls golden yellow and paint the kitchen the same. It really is a lovely color. That will make your light colored kitchen cabinets pop and provide a softer background for your dark table/chairs, as well as improve the visual flow from one area to the other. It looks like the eating area is the only part of the kitchen that is painted since the cabinets go to the ceiling and you have a tile back splash. Paint is expensive and even more so if you are having a contractor do the work, but you won't need much to paint the small eating area. if you don't have enough of the golden yellow left to paint it, it really won't matter if the newly mixed paint isn't an exact match.

--I would leave all of the wood trim in both areas white or tone it down a little with a creamy white.

--I didn't find the cranberry chair as out of place as in others' comments, but a Sure-Fit slip cover may be the way to go (perhaps with coral or soft rust colors, but not a solid color). Sure-Fit has stretch slip covers that I think look better than the duck cloth ones where you have to tie bows in the center of the chair arms. The cranberry chair may still work in its current state when the furniture is rearranged.

--The suggestions to place the gold chairs on either side of the fireplace caused me to re-think changing them, especially since they are brand new. They would work very well there with the narrow white windows and white fireplace providing contrast. I would put the cranberry ottoman in front of the fireplace between the gold chairs or get a small table if you want to keep the ottoman with the chair. (Yes, replace the wreath with a large mirror or large artwork and use a combination of light and dark accessories on the mantel.)

--Put the cranberry chair at the open end of the living room not too far from the TV and at an angle with a small table. A tan or cream throw draped across the back and one arm of the cranberry chair would help.

--Yes, the bookcase needs to be painted white, moved, and have nothing on top. Is there room to put it in the eating area on the left side of the French doors? If not, perhaps move it to the wall on the left side of the sofa with the side all the wall to the corner.

--I already suggested having shorter, fatter lamps on tables at both ends of the sofa. I agree with others' comments that drum shades are the way to go. While traditional, the current lamps look too "Victorian" for the furniture and white trim.

--I agree with the comment to put single curtain panels (with rings) on a decorative rod only at the ends of the large window. I would not put curtains on the narrow windows at the fireplace. However, I would change the mini-blinds to the thicker 2" blinds on all windows (one long blind for the large window).

--Your end tables look fine, but as someone mentioned the coffee table does seem too short and out of proportion with the length of the sofa.

--Put a burgundy pillow in each of the gold chairs and get two good sized matching pillows in light toned gold/green/rust/cranberry in plaid, floral, or stripe. The cranberry chair won't need a pillow since it will have a throw.

--The rug looks great with the dark floor. I would not replace it with a lighter or darker rug. The rug isn't the problem, anyway.

--I have never been a fan of "accent" walls, either, be it paint or wallpaper. I think it chops a room up and makes all of the walls look out of proportion.

Lastly, if you do decide to try a few paint samples, I hope you take the suggestion to paint pieces of foam core instead of putting it on the walls!! Either way, be sure to use two coats of the samples so you will have a truer color match to how it will look on the walls.
June 10, 2014 at 12:01am     
christinanick
Really good ideas and I do think it takes a little time for things to process and evolve as this post has! Revisiting the pictures has me thinking that adding panels will not only soften the windows and space but break up the all gold that mariatri mentioned as an issue in the very first post.
June 10, 2014 at 6:04am   
fos5
Lots of good suggestions but think we are all missing one thing, what is the budget for finishing or changing anything in this room.? The wall color, rug and furnishings are all useable with some, rearranging, and added decor elements to pull the room together. Also where are the pictures of the adjoining kitchen/eating area that has to be considered?
June 10, 2014 at 6:25am   
mariatri
All of these terrific suggestions have me in bit of a design whirlwind. I'm working on this, believe me. The decision making process is a long one for me. I am considering trying to rid of the bookcase and the cranberry chair. The bookcase was purchased from Ethan Allen (quite expensive) to fit a space in another home we lived in. When I moved back to this house, this was the only place it could go. The area to the left of the French doors in the eating area has a heating/ac vent on the wall which I cannot cover up. Otherwise, I'd put it there. I will see if it fits in the left corner near the windows once I try rearranging the chairs, but it may seem crowded.

I'm aware of the scale/style of the coffee table and am least concerned about that. I'll get around to replacing that as soon as I shift my attentions.

As I noted earlier, I prefer bright and sunny and happen to like the lighter color in my kitchen. I would maybe paint it the same color as the livingroom if I pick another cream shade. I am a little concerned about lightening the living area since it may remove some of the cozier feeling a darker color brings in. However, I have painted some foam boards so far, and am studying BM's Cameo White, Rich Cream, and Philadelphia Cream. Not sure yet if I'm definitely changing wall color. I am having a contractor do the paint once I decide because he will then replace all my window mouldings with more substantial mouldings. I feel these current mouldings are a bit thin and unappealing. He will also do crown moulding. Otherwise, we'd paint it ourselves. Many of you have suggested using neutral and warm gray shades. There is nothing gray in this room to tie in to a gray wall color. I think gray with my gold/red chairs would look strange. This room is dim most of the day until late afternoon when it finally gets bright and sunny for a couple of hours. Mostly, it's dim (faces west with lots of trees) and gray would lend a bit of a dismal feel to it. Don't get me wrong, I happen to love gray as a neutral and painted my son's room in gray. It all works--in there.

I have also looked at some new area rugs to break up the gold in the room. I'm really liking some pale blue subtle-patterned area rugs that will allow me to coordinate the gold chairs. I'm bringing fabrics in to rug store today to see if something works. I have visited Home Goods every week for years....haven't gotten very lucky there but I love the place and keep hoping for a great find. This is a bit of a process....
June 10, 2014 at 6:25am   
sheilaksb
I agree with other posters that the gold in the room is of the same tone and is perhaps overdone. However, I would suggest you balance the gold by painting the walls a soft white that still will contrast with the bright white trim and fireplace. I happen to be a fan of blue ceilings, and I would suggest you paint the ceiling the delicate shade of light blue in the photo another poster has shared. Then, I would suggest you find a patterned rug with a soft white background and light blue and green in the print. As for green accents, I would suggest you add some live plants to bring life and air into the room. The gold furnishings give a "heavy" feel to the room, and you need to lighten this atmosphere with soft white, light blue, and the green plants.
June 10, 2014 at 6:56am   
ihavelearned
Bingo! I believe sheilaksb shares my same thoughts. The all gold is emitting too much warmth. I disagree that two colors chops up the room. I have gold walls in my library, which faces west. To cool it down, I painted the window wall Colorado Grey a blue tone, by BM. Now in perfect color balance and coolness. The soft white or cream color would add sophistication with a contemporary edge. Light blue and light green always cools a hot looking room. You are probably over whelmed with the adament advise I have read.
June 10, 2014 at 1:16pm     
ihavelearned
I am only commenting on the living room, excluding the other rooms and details.
June 10, 2014 at 1:18pm   
MarleneM
Yes, I agree too much gold. Here is another view of room I had shown above. There is still a lot of gold in room, and burgundy too! :)

June 10, 2014 at 2:07pm     
rlcatron
MarleneM... That's a very nice room. I can see marietri's rug, sage green sofa, and gold chairs fitting right in. The metal and glass coffee table does wonders to eliminate any heavy feeling. Your previous view of the room didn't strike me as being all that relevant for marietri's room, but the YELLOW undertone of the CREAM paint shows better in the previous view and would certainly solve the paint color question for her living room. The same wall color as the living room needs to be continued into the eating area and any kitchen wall space that is not tiled.
June 10, 2014 at 3:17pm   
rlcatron
marietri...Since you are having the window trim replaced, you would probably have to repaint the walls anyway. A light cream with yellow undertones would look good and work with your existing rug and furniture. The same wall color as the living room needs to be continued into the eating area and any kitchen wall space that is not tiled.

I would not paint an expensive Ethan Allen bookcase or any other piece of Ethan Allen furniture, so I'm retracting my suggestion to paint the bookcase white. Hopefully, you will find a good spot for it when you've finished rearranging everything else or perhaps it can be used in another room of your home.
June 10, 2014 at 3:34pm   
sheilaksb
I looked over the photos of the dining room and kitchen, trying to see how you could tie them in with the living room. Perhaps you could find a print fabric that is similar to the area rug pattern I suggested and then make chair pad covers and valences for the French doors and kitchen window from this fabric. If the fabric is a washable cotton blend, you might be able to make dish towels for a coordinated look. Another suggestion would be chair pads in a small (one-half inch) check in gold and white to coordinate with the living room upholstery. Such small checks can blend with the print valences I suggested.
June 10, 2014 at 3:41pm   
MarleneM
Thanks, and what I meant by too much gold, is too much gold on gold. If walls were painted lighter, then more gold could be added with side panels and gold framed art over FP.
June 10, 2014 at 3:43pm   
rlcatron
marietri... As if I have nothing else to do, LOL, I've spent more time looking at your living room in three days than I do looking at mine in a week! It usually takes me 6 months in a different house to get everything to my liking. Then it stays that way until I move again, except for occasionally changing a few accessories or getting new linens/curtains for the bedrooms. I've always had white or antique white walls throughout in every place I've lived..
June 10, 2014 at 3:48pm     
The Design Mentor
Try a slightly deeper gray green like SW6164 Svelte Sage or 6163 Grassland, 6205 Comfort Gray or 6206 Oyster Bay. The colors you selected are a bit to pale and do not have enough depth of color without getting too dark. Your furnishing are more golden, warm tones and the grey greens are a good cool complement.
June 10, 2014 at 3:53pm     
mariatri
Hi Everyone, I've attached some additional photos of the open floor plan/kitchen area. I tried rearranging the chairs to the fireplace area. For some reason, they just don't look right to me. They seem dwarfed somehow. Also the couch/chair area in the back right corner of the fireplace seems crowded. Pulling the couch further away just seems to make the room more imbalanced. Bear with me, I'm awaiting a final price on an area rug that I found. When I get that, I'll decide whether or not to go ahead with changing it. That is why I'm holding off on my wall paint choice. (We already have other big budget projects going on so that is why I'm trying to keep this as a smaller monetary redecoration project). I was unable to try moving the bookcase since I was moving the furniture by myself. It's rather heavy. I see how the coffee table is too small and will get around to a replacement there as well. I'm just looking for comments on this new arrangement that some of you suggested. To me, the chairs don't look right....
June 13, 2014 at 5:22am   
curlycook
I like the new arrangement, it feels open and welcoming!

I think you are surprised why so many are suggesting green gray paint colors. I believe they call these colors super neutrals, because they are very complex and gorgeous. They are the new neutral background colors. The colors are hard to describe, the one I'm using is a warm beige gray with a green undertone to bring together stone, granite, tile, and cabinets very similar to yours. The color is not present in any of these fixtures, but it GOES with each and every one. It balances the very warm tones and makes the rooms feel fresh and serene.

I hired a decorator and I'm so pleased with the result. I continued to choose colors that matched the rug or such and knew it wasn't right. Good luck in your decorating adventures!
June 13, 2014 at 6:30am     
Just to break up the expected, turn your dining table and chairs a quarter turn so they are a little more relaxed. I like the new living arrangement. The chairs seem small because of all the white behind them. Once draperies cover the side window frames, they'll be fine. Just pull them forward a bit so they serve as foreground for the FP - a layered look. I'd want the bookcase removed from the room and a great piece of art to replace the wreath.
June 13, 2014 at 6:40am     
poof
I like the new arrangement.
June 13, 2014 at 6:51am     
poof
Also, I think the rug is lovely.
June 13, 2014 at 6:52am     
rlcatron
I like most of decoenthusiaste comments, especially pulling the gold chairs into the room more. Tall plants in the corners would be helpful. The sofa needs to be centered in front of the large window. Also, I would put the floor lamp to the left and a little behind the cranberry chair. I have a new solution for the bookcase if I can get the photo to attach.
June 13, 2014 at 8:02am   
rlcatron
The too tall and too skinny lamps are part of what's making the gold chairs look dwarfed.
June 13, 2014 at 8:04am   
rlcatron
You have a beautiful and practical kitchen and eating area. Beautiful cabinets.
June 13, 2014 at 8:07am     
rlcatron
The attached LR arrangement was on HGTV's email Wednesday. I though of you immediately being it's so similar to your LR. You need to imagine the 2 narrow windows at the far end. I don't know why I didn't think of this before regarding the bookcase: You need a matching bookcase to put one up close on each side of the TV chest, then hang the TV on the wall 6 to 8 inches off the chest. That would take care of that large expanse of bare wall.
June 13, 2014 at 8:17am   
rlcatron
Also, notice how the sofa and chairs are pulled away from the walls. You wouldn't need a small table between the two gold chairs in front of the fireplace (as I had suggested before) because of the raised hearth.
June 13, 2014 at 8:21am   
rlcatron
Here are a couple more photos from the HGTV email that remind me of your LR.
June 13, 2014 at 8:25am     
christinanick
Progress, I like the new arrangement! And second the thoughts above about layers and adding drapery or roman shades, a statement plant, once this is done yours chairs won't look dwarfed.

I really think the rug is good and a keeper!

I would focus on the spending your budget on (in order of priority) window treatments, art, plant, throws & pillows, accent tables, lamps.
June 13, 2014 at 9:02am     
Shayna O
If ur not happy with where the armchairs are now.lets see how they work if they're placed at an angle flanking the big couch on each side .....n u cud place the bookcase against the wall next to the big window on the rhs in ur pic..or even next to the TV....,and maybe first move the TV unit up towards the corner next to th fp and at an angle so it's visible from almost everywhere ..then the bookcase n then place the cranberry piece angled facing inwards?id do roman blinds or even dummy roman blinds from the ceiling down to the top of the window for good effect for all the windows n a big mirror above the fp to keep it as a focal point.u cud jazz up the BCase with books,black n white wedding or family pix in stunning frames and candle stick holders.also flank the fp with good looking utensils n sum thing nice to hold firewood/logs in.
June 14, 2014 at 7:14am   
Nancy Walton
Shayna, "texting English" is hard to read for us "old folks" who don't text, LOL.
June 14, 2014 at 8:16am     
fos5
ricanton really like this furniture placement. But thought the TV is driving the so called bus in this room. If not, the sofa would be much better on the solid wall and the two chairs on the window wall as shown in your picture on the right. Drapery panels and sheer really finish the room with accessories.
June 14, 2014 at 1:10pm     
Shayna O
@Nancy Walton Oops!apologies.i will be enlisting the help of auto text as from now as I'm (almost) always in a rush ;)
June 14, 2014 at 3:56pm   
Nancy Walton
Thanks, Shayna. Pet peeve of mine.
June 14, 2014 at 4:35pm     
christina405
Hi, Coming to this conversation late, but I love Paris Rain, a BM paint. Have it in kitchen/dining area, living room, hall, and guest room -- all open to each other. It's a grayish green, quite subtle and might suit your need. Would look fine with your beautiful kitchen too. Painting the TV wall a dark color will make the TV set less obvious.
June 14, 2014 at 4:52pm     
rlcatron
Yes, fos5, I believe mariatri said her husband wants the TV has to stay were it is. In addition to furniture placement options, I was showing where the rug is the same color as the sofa in 1st photo and the chairs in the and photo. Mariatri wants to replace her new rug. I don't think the rug is a problem at all. .
June 14, 2014 at 7:40pm     
rlcatron
Correction: ...chairs in the 2nd photo.
June 14, 2014 at 7:42pm   
MarleneM
I downloaded a basic app, and did some experimenting with paint colours. Mariatri, the last is cameo white.
June 14, 2014 at 9:06pm     
partim
Your rearrangement is a big improvement. The room looks more balanced. A laundry list of suggestions/ideas:

Move the rug over so that it touches the TV stand. Move the sofa too so that the sofa feet still sit on the rug. The room will look better with the sofa pulled away from the window. Can the sofa be centered on the window? Maybe pull the swivel chairs just a bit closer together too. I think your rug is really nice and wouldn't replace it.

Do you need/use the footstool? If not, maybe it can be used in another room. It would reduce the amount of the cranberry color in the room by quite a bit. Then I'd get a cream colored throw and keep it across the back of the cranberry chair. Again, less of this color without much cost or fuss.

I think I liked your lamps better when they flanked the sofa. Maybe you don't need the end table with the photos on it in this room.

I wouldn't paint this room, I think the color is good. I did like the idea of extending this color into the eating area, but if you don't like the idea then leave all the paint as it is. I'm not a big fan of crown moldings, especially if your ceiling height is the standard 8 feet.

The room would look more finished with side panel curtains on the windows. I'd use a textured (linen-look?) cream-colored solid fabric, hung floor to ceiling. They don't need to cover the windows. You'll be surprised how much more finished your room will look.

New pillows would update your room. Pillows these days tend to be a bit larger, with thinner fabric as coverings, and with looser feather or feather-look fillings. Check out some of the pictures people have posted above to get the idea. They should be big and soft enough that you can give them a dent at the top.

The wreath above your fireplace is a somewhat dated look. You have a beautiful wood mantel that could be "dressed up" a bit more. I'd prop a piece of art on the mantel, with only a few larger items to either side. Houzz has lots of idea pictures. Maybe you can borrow a painting from another room to test what size looks best.

These ideas are less expensive than painting and adding trim. You have a beautiful room that just needs a few touches.
June 14, 2014 at 9:09pm     
rlcatron
MarleneM. I really like how you colored mariatri's with walls with a computer program. Would it be possible for you to do it again with her new furniture arrangement in this photo? Thanks!
June 14, 2014 at 9:24pm   
MarleneM
I could, it was just an experiment and didn't realize it wouldn't save the colour name either. This time I will write it down. :)
June 14, 2014 at 9:31pm   
mariatri
The rearrangement was my first try and I'm still working on details like the lamp placement, ottoman to stay or go, etc. I know the rug needs to be pulled closer to the tv console. My husband has to do the heavy lifting and it's not his priority at the moment. Being father's day today, I'm not sure if I'll ask him to move furniture today, lol. Once I get that taken care of, I'll attach another picture. Also, the husband wasn't thrilled with the new arrangement but he's getting used to it. The tv does "drive the bus" in this room because it is our only living/family room where we spend time. My husband and son need the tv. I could live without it, but there it is. I have moved the 2 chairs closer and more forward from the fireplace, also centered the couch between the windows. It all looks much better. I have been using the online painter tool on both SW and BM's websites to get an idea of colors. I wasn't sure about my carpet so it all hinged on that. It looks like I'll be keeping this one for now and working on the accessories. I know that wreath has to go!!! I put that up there for lack of anything else. I've been waiting for a piece of artwork to really move me or that incorporates some of the colors in the room. That's as difficult as the paint color choice and I haven't found either yet. As for pillows, if anyone has a website link for me to visit, please let me know. I've been to all the HomeGoods places and all pillows right now are summer/sea oriented and pastel colored. I hope to continue looking in the next few days. Thank you.
June 15, 2014 at 4:04am     
fos5
Your getting there. Try some floral pillows with a white or off white background with multi color flowers/green leaves, a textured light color pillow and geometric, that work together. The room is flat. You have dark color (floor & tables) medium sofa, dark (cranberry chair and ottoman) and lighter chairs., (nothing wrong with furniture) Bring in some more light color from background of rug in drapes (side panels) hung above window casings and drape length to the floor. Fireplace wall side windows are narrow so only one side panel on rod "not too skimpy pushed back towards the wall, to unify the room and ground it. A bright bold , colorful piece of art work over the fireplace with add interest, texture and boost the fireplace. I would keep the ottoman, they are extra seating when needed. It doesn't necessarily have to be situated in front of the chair they move. Can be places beside the chair with a tray on top for magazines, etc. I would change the coffe table. Too small and the traditional style isn't working for me. How about a large rectangle shape glass and metal frame table. A tall green plant will bring the outdoor in, and give you some verticle radial balance to the room. My opinion rant for today.
June 15, 2014 at 5:30am     
partim
The website greatbigcanvas.com is one that lots of people on this site seem to have good luck with. The advantage of online is that you can look at a lot of things without trudging around so much.

Have you tried fabric stores for pillows? Around here they have a very big selection of pillow inserts and interchangeable pillow covers.

You're getting there - it's a big job to really finish a room!
June 15, 2014 at 6:36am     
mariatri
I found this pillow while online. Just wondering if this type/color combo brings in enough color or should I venture into something brighter? Is it a little too matchy/safe? This one happens to include the red/gold/green and cream that I'm working with. Opinions appreciated... http://ak1.ostkcdn.com/images/products/9091342/Helena-Burgundy-Floral-18-inch-Down-Filled-Throw-Pillow-a8a8cac3-a625-4cad-a999-3a8387ff28b2_80.jpg?wid=58&hei=58&op_sharpen=1
June 15, 2014 at 7:34am     
partim
I'd buy the art next, because there may be colors in it that you want to emphasize in your pillows. To me, the pillow colors are too matchy with what you already have. Looks too much like the rug. And I'd buy 20" rather than 18" pillows. (And for me, the $72 price would be a deal breaker too.)

For art, how about an autumn scene? You can find them abstract or realistic, with any proportion of gold, red, green that you can imagine.
http://www.greatbigcanvas.com/view/france-paris-champs-elysees,33750/?s=8rlU9PSStEOxOTlGuyX6fWLvso07t6yr1szXbjCmxBip9y0PMCOc4qzW3foxbBb
http://www.greatbigcanvas.com/view/varitable-bounty-of-fall-leaves-after-rain,mm1115/?s=x0rLTlDUQuxINTVfQbSOpOekN5wD610KEVyn2ISgFlUxuUNozxMjWxeFfklbr
http://www.greatbigcanvas.com/view/new-england-covered-bridge,pag0100232/?s=u52ULR8ZSfYKXkUMXbyfVJFCuU3tKY3tGMWfbyRRbwr07mczXcdRnbcV9R7dAt
June 15, 2014 at 7:49am     
christinanick
Art can be so hard, finding something just right takes time...in the interim you could possibly put up a mirror. Here are some ideas.
Pillows...yes, 20" for sure! Check out Pottery Barn or my favorite, Room&Board.
June 15, 2014 at 8:15am     
rlcatron
I love the large pattern and dark colors on the pillows christinanick posted in 20" size for the sofa. Then put your smaller burgundy pillows in the gold chairs. I would go for a mirror over the fireplace instead of a piece of artwork. You have other wall space for good sized pieces of artwork where a mirror probably wouldn't work well.
June 15, 2014 at 8:43am     
rlcatron
mariatri... In addition to Home Goods, these stores have large pillow selections at very reasonable prices: Marshalls, T J Maxx, Ross, and Tuesday Morning. I've even seen beautiful pillows at Big Lots.
June 15, 2014 at 8:53am   
mrsberger08
It's super easy and inexpensive to make pillow cases for decorative pillows as well...just another idea to help save you some money. Check pinterest for HUNDREDS of diy's and tutorials.
June 15, 2014 at 8:57am   
fos5
Lots of decorative pillows for sale everywhere, on line as well. Go for color, doesn't have to be the traditional stye as shown, on another post, venture out of the box. Flower gardens have many colors, don't match whats in your rug or furnishings exactly. Too matchy poo. Yes to the large size pillows. Hanging a mirror over the fireplace may be OK, depends on what it reflects, if its the kitchen or something you don't want to see two of, or something that doesn't add to your living room a bold painting might be better.
June 15, 2014 at 9:19am   
sanjack0
Read the whole thread. Like the new arrangement, glad you're keeping the rug.
Check out this web site for paintings http://www.canvasreplicas.com/Autumn.htm
June 15, 2014 at 9:26am     
MarleneM
I tried the painting app with the new room arrangement, and for some reason it crashes on me with that new photo. Mariatri, you said you are using some painting software too, so that's good. I think pick art and curtains first, and then paint.
June 15, 2014 at 11:58am   
fos5
sanjackO great sight for famous artists reproductions, lots to choose from here Mariatri. Thanks
June 15, 2014 at 12:08pm   
christinanick
Mariatri, The more I look at the photo of your living room I think the color is fine, especially with the moving of the chairs and the concept of adding the accessories and layers.
June 16, 2014 at 7:56am   
rlcatron
I think the current wall color is good, too, and not too dark for the space. The wall color needs to be somewhat darker than the rug. I'm glad you are keeping the rug as the rug isn't the problem. The walls and rug will become neutral background once everything is arranged and accessorized.

Also, I agree with the commenter who recommended against crown molding. It will make your ceiling look lower and make the room look more narrow and boxed in. I don't see anything wrong with the size of the window facings, either. Window treatments in the living room should alleviate any concerns you have with the trim. Further, crown molding and different window facings will not increase the value of the house. I can't see spending a lot of money on something that isn't necessary when you can create a beautiful room on shoestring budget! I would buy a matching Ethan Allen bookcase to go on the other side of the TV chest and a new coffee table that's dark metal with a glass top..

I still think the golden yellow wall color needs to be extended into the eating area. If not all the way to the small amount of wall space in the kitchen, at least to the right side of the French doors and where the buffet/cabinet combination is. There's plenty of light through the French doors and kitchen window. I think you would be surprised how it will actually brighten the area up and show off your beautiful cabinets and tile. I would not put window treatments on the French doors or kitchen window. If you want a window treatment on the kitchen window, I suggest a white blind with 2" slats.

Oh, and while you're at it, I suggest removing the placemats between meals an put a plant or vase of flowers on the table. Someone's suggestion to turn the table 1/4 turn is good which will make the eating area look less squared off.
June 16, 2014 at 11:34am   
mariatri
You have all been so incredibly helpful to me and my design dilemma! I actually picked up the pillows suggested by christinanick and am wondering if this looks right. There is no cream in my carpet/walls so the cream color really stands out doesn't it? I do love the pillows, just not sure if they "work." I also attached a photo of a paint color which is BM Gentle Cream/Barely Beige. I was wondering if the walls were painted this color and I got drapery panels from Pottery Barn, the Peyton Linen drapes in wheat. The wheat color is almost an exact match to my couch fabric color. Would that break up the "gold" look of the room if the walls were beigy cream and the panels filled up some of the wall? Would love your thoughts on this.....I'm trying to avoid having custom drapes made, of course.
June 16, 2014 at 1:20pm     
mariatri
I was attempting to attach a link to the drape and hit send...sorry. Here it is... http://ab.pbimgs.com/pbimgs/ab/images/dp/wcm/201405/0435/img91c.jpg. Not sure which drape I was looking at, it may have been the Emery, both are a textured linen.
June 16, 2014 at 1:21pm   
Nancy Walton
The pillows are perfect! I'm not sure but what drapes in the same fabric would really be better than the solid--you have so many other solids in the room. The print would take it over the top.
June 16, 2014 at 2:01pm     
sanjack0
I agree, Nancy. Get those up, find your art work and bet you won't need to paint at all.
June 16, 2014 at 2:19pm   
SoCal Contractor
Try using a wallpaper that incorporates gold as well as other colors into the pattern!
June 16, 2014 at 2:28pm   
rlcatron
The pillows are good! The rosey/rust color in the rug shows up better already. The long pillow of the same print in the middle would probably work well, too. The cream background of the pillows is good because of the white trim on the windows, and it's good to bring more white/cream into the room (but not the walls!*). Also, you could place the dark throw that was on the cranberry chair on the sofa. Just spread it out, pinch it in the middle, and drape it somewhere sloppy-like.

I agree with Nancy Walton about getting curtain panels to match the pillows if you can. A wheat color to match the sofa will jmake the sofa and curtains both disappear. (Ha! In your first photos the sofa looked sage green!) However, if you don't want print curtain panels, I'd go for a green to match the shade of green in the pillows or even (don't scream) aqua to match the little bit of aqua in the pillows which I'm happy to see. I already had the thought that one or two accessories in aqua somewhere in the room would be nice. Aqua is one of those magical colors that goes with everything--tan, cranberry, gold, yellow... Also, I would use a lightweight curtain fabric such as cotton sateen or polished cotton or a tight weave linen look and stay away from heavily textured fabric, especially fabric that looks like burlap..

*I'm afraid your white window trim will get lost if the walls are too light in the cream department. However, if you must paint the walls, I would use cream with yellow/gold undertones instead of beige, brown, gray, green, or pink undertones.
June 16, 2014 at 2:37pm   
mariatri
I was only going to consider the wheat color curtains if I painted the walls cream. Definitely not with my walls this color. I actually like the warmth of the current color - it's PPG's Caramel - and would have a hard time adjusting to a really light color in the livingroom. All of this is helping me think through it. I did move my kitchen table and chairs a quarter turn and I can't believe the impact of such a minor adjustment. Thank you for that suggestion, I never would have known. It looks much better as well. Yes, I'm on a hunt for artwork and curtains. Today was just a start, and I came home with many pillows instead. Tomorrow's a new day. Thank you all....
June 16, 2014 at 4:38pm     
rlcatron
You're doing a great job there! I'm sure you're already familiar with the ever-changing great artwork and mirrors at Home Goods. Marshalls, and T J Maxx. Ross usually has a good selection, as well, but sometimes it can be on the tacky side. One of the best things about Home Goods, Marshalls, and T J Maxx (all 3 owned by the same company, by the way) is the lenient return policy. Ross has a pretty good return policy, but if you don't have the receipt and the item went on clearance, they will give you store credit for the clearance price whereas the other 3 give you store credit for the ticket price if you don't have the receipt.

How about striped curtains with the same or close-enough to the colors in those pillows?
June 16, 2014 at 8:25pm     
rlcatron
I think you'll like the current wall color even more when you've completed outfitting the living room. You'll have that room so warm, comfy, and inviting, we will all have to come for a visit!!!
June 16, 2014 at 8:29pm   
christinanick
Like the pillows with the window trim for sure! I see what you're saying about the rug & pillows. It's a great start, adding a solid with texture would be good to break up the matchy thing. I don't recommend matching the window coverings with the pillows, I believe you need to stay solid here. Here is the wheat you mentioned and a soft blue green, I added the pillow to view and a piece of art from EA.
June 16, 2014 at 11:49pm     
christinanick
Going a shade lighter on the walls would give you this look, wheat drapery and cream wall. I do love this!

After zeroing in on your rug and pillows...I think it's good. I would still add a solid or do 2 solids and one print.
June 16, 2014 at 11:57pm     
rlcatron
Christinanick... The soft blue green you mentioned didn't come through. I believe the cream walls and wheat curtains work well in the room in your photo because of the dark blue chairs, the wood trim on the arm chairs, the gold chandelier, the high ceiling, and the enormous size of the room. Also, note the large rust colored lamps for accent. (This is a very well done room! No doubt it's in a mansion and cost a fortune!) I don't think the cream and wheat would work all that well with mariatri's wheat sofa, gold chairs, and gold rug. She needs color on the windows rather than a neutral.
June 17, 2014 at 1:47am   
rlcatron
Here's a photo from an HGTV email last night that shows the living room is in one of their star's beach house. I know the colors and style are totally different, but the purpose of posting it is to show the same color pattern mix of the four pillows on the sofa, the pillow in the chair, and the curtains. If you were to pick up a couple of solid color pillows or the sofa, I'd do the aqua color in the upper corners of the pillows, plus a couple of aqua accessories to put somewhere in the room. Aqua would be a good cool color to offset the warm colors.

Another word about the curtain panels being the same as the pillows (However, I think I would prefer striped panels.): The panels will be at the ends of the windows only and not directly behind the pillows. Curtain panels that match the pillows is worth a try, though. Just make sure they can be returned if you don't like them.
June 17, 2014 at 2:03am   
rlcatron
Oops! The HGTV photo didn't attach. Here it is.
June 17, 2014 at 2:05am        Thanked by mariatri
rlcatron
mariatri... Here's a link to a fun blog by a young woman and do-it-yourselfer in the Atlanta area. Her home is gorgeous inside and out. She has broken every decorating rule in the book and even come up with a few new ones. I have no plans to redecorate or try any of her projects, but I've been following her blog for well over a year because her writing is so entertaining.
http://www.viewalongtheway.com/category/decorating-101//
June 17, 2014 at 2:35am     
fos5
Pillows really give the room a pop, don't stop there, add at least another one, don't be matchy poo. Now the art, also something bold and bright with a white mat around it to get that white continuity around the room. Make sure the subject is something you like, it isn't just a decoration. NO to the linen drapes, will look like part of the sofa, go darker or lighter with a subdued pattern. The room is starting to come alive. Where's the tall green plant 6 ot 7 feet tall.???
June 17, 2014 at 4:09am     
christinanick
Inspiration for the wheat and cream combo.
June 17, 2014 at 8:59am     
mariatri
Hi Everyone. As I'm working on my many decisions, I did pick up this plant. Loved it in the store but it's not working for me here, much like the rest of my livingroom!! Is it just a little too small? It also seems too dark to me. If I keep it, I'll put it in a nice pot so please ignore the plastic store pot. I know the lamp has to go so that doesn't help the picture. I've been searching for that as well but not sure on which style/color to go for. Artwork search is ongoing. Plant good or no? Lamp style recommendations? Love all your input. Thank you.
June 19, 2014 at 1:10pm   
rlcatron
Thanks for keeping us posted on your progress. First of all, the pillow looks great! That's a really nice plant and a good size that could be placed elsewhere in the room, as well. It looks good with the wall color. Try placing it in the opposite corner (but not all the way in the corner) since this corner appears a little crowded, and the plant seems to compete with the tall, skinny lamp and dark table. (I'd turn the table in the other direction, anyway.)
June 19, 2014 at 2:34pm     
fos5
Pull the chair out a bit. The plant isn't tall enough, would be better with ficus or similar with a full top and trunk like bottom. You can put the plant you have on a stand to give it more height . Try angling the table so it and the lamp are serviceable to the chair as well as the sofa, it is too far back against the wall. Good to see a live green plant in there.
June 19, 2014 at 2:57pm     
partim
There's something not quite right about the plant. I don't like the way it's in 2 clumps, and I agree it is at the same time too small and too heavy looking. Something taller, with smaller or lacier leaves would look better.

I suggest Dracaena marginata also called Madagascar dragon. It is is easy to grow and if it gets enough sun its leaves get red edges which would pick up your red. If you buy a smaller one you can put it on a stand, then remove the stand as it grows.
June 19, 2014 at 6:36pm   
Hyde Evans Design
Green? Sorry, but no. It'll look like Christmas in there. Really, that will be too much color. Consider a neutral, perhaps a shade of cool gray to counter all the warmth.
June 19, 2014 at 7:30pm     
sheilaksb
I agree with partim about the plant. As it appears in the photo, the corner looks crowded because the plant and the table lamp are the same height. You need to move either the plant OR the table and lamp to another corner. I agree with Hyde Evans Design that green would not be a good wall color. My neighbor had such a color scheme in the 1950s, but it would be considered dated and drab today. I still would suggest for the walls a soft white that will allow the bright white trim of the fireplace to stand out. If the window trim is a wood tone, please paint it the same bright white.

Also, you might consider taking down the blinds and installing basically white, sheer or semi-sheer curtain panels that extend from the middle of the windows, height wise, and down to the sill. The fabric may be textured or perhaps a print that matches or blends with the rose and white print pillows. If you must have long draw draperies at the side of each window, I would suggest plain white. If you have plain white sheers on the lower half of each window, then you could have draw draperies in a print that coordinates with the pillows. You have so much of the plain and warm colors in room, and you really need white and maybe a print to contrast with the heaviness and bring in a light feeling. Some silver-tone framed mirrors at the corners of the room and/or above a sofa will add a contrasting metallic color and will reflect the light in the room. A print throw that harmonizes with the pillows could be draped across the back cushions of the chairs and sofa to bring accent colors and a print pattern into the room. This room has so much potential, and I wish I could help you in person.
June 19, 2014 at 11:35pm   
sheilaksb
I believe the lamp style is fine. You might put a mostly white table topper on the round table so that the lamp will contrast from the white fabric. The way it is, the lamp color blends in with the wood tone of the table. I do believe white window panels, which I suggested above, will bring softness, light, and contrast into the room. If you could find panels with a scalloped lower edge or a Battenburg lace border, the scallops/border would contrast from all the rectangular shapes in the room. In the narrow windows, you might put the white panels on the lower half, as I suggested earlier, and then put in just one long drapery, with the drapery of the left window pulled and tied to the left and the drapery of the right window pulled and tied to the right. Since you have a rose color in the pillows, would you consider a print rug with a bit of rose in it? Also, would you consider a bit of rose on the ceiling? I know it would be labor-intensive, but perhaps you could tape off one-foot wide stripes lengthwise on the ceiling (provided the ceiling already is white) and paint the alternate stripes a light rose that would harmonize with the medium rose in the pillows. If the gold upholstery still looks overwhelming, consider slipcovers in a color or print that makes for easier decorating.
June 19, 2014 at 11:54pm   
sheilaksb
Upon seeing the enlarged photo, I notice there is a rose color in the area rug. I do believe the rose in the rug works well with the rose in the pillows. Maybe you could get some white or off-white quilted fabric and make covers that would go from the top of the chair or sofa cushion and then down the "front" of the back and then forward to the outer edge of the seat. It is hard to explain this, but it would be another way to bring a lighter color into the room. Then you could have more of the rose print pillows on the upholstered pieces to add pattern to the room. On some of the print pillows, you might have on the "reverse side" a light rose and white striped fabric to reflect the white and light rose stripes I suggested for the ceiling.
June 20, 2014 at 12:06am   
christinanick
Plant reply: Agree there is something not quite right and maybe it's a bit too small along with the 2 tiered shape. After adding a large pot you might have a better feel.
June 20, 2014 at 7:01am   
Keesee and Associates, Inc.
I'm going to piggyback rlcatron, you're doing a great job so far!

I agree that the lamp and plant seem to compete. I think part of the issue in your room is that everything is a similar height, similar colors scheme, and similar shape / weight. The gold chairs and golden brown sofa blend too well and don't give the room or walls enough contrast. In the same token, the colors in your room are either gold, cranberry, or reddish brown. You need some pieces that will bring in some variety for the eye.

The new pillows and adding plants will do a lot to help create some great contrast. Choosing some pieces with softer edges will also break up your mostly rectangle-shaped furniture (although I do not recommend scalloped curtains or rose stripes on your ceiling). The swirly floral pattern on your pillows, for instance, contrasts the straight lines of your furniture well. For lamps, I would recommend something with a light and airy look. It will make your room breath more, since much of your furniture has a heavier feel. Look for metal frame lamps that give a more open feel, or you can look for curvy glass or mirrored lamps that will help reflect light, rather than weighing the table down. I'll include some ideas below, but you're headed in a terrific direction! Just think about balancing straight lines with flowy lines and heavy pieces with lighter objects.

Clove Cordless Table Lamp
Currey & Co 6377 Juno Clear Glass Table Lamp
Avignon Mercury Glass Table Lamp
Orpaz Bronze Table Lamp
Quoizel Q1506TIB Portable Imperial Bronze Table Lamp
Bronze Table Lamp: Wallis 32 in. Burnished Bronze Table Lamp 32189BB
Oil Rubbed Bronze Table Lamp: Galaxy 30 in. Bronze Table Lamp 32181ORB
Quoizel Q1072TPN Archer Palladian Bronze Table Lamp
Kichler Lighting 70895 Odette Bronze Table Lamp
Dolan Designs 15011-206 Classic Bronze Table Lamp
June 20, 2014 at 7:07am     
mariatri
For the professional decorators, I'm wondering if I replaced the carpet, would many of my challenges be easier to tackle. When I look at the cream pillows on my couch, there is no connection. I'm not going to get custom drapes, having looked into that in the past, due to the cost and the fact that I am so color challenged in this room. I'm attaching a picture of a rug I saw in person with my fabric samples in hand. If I painted the room in BM Gentle Cream and replaced my carpet, maybe the rest would be easier. I had to rid of the plant because it looked like a Christmas tree in this room. I totally agree with the red/gold/green combo being Christmas and won't go there again--unless the room is painted. So, I'm thinking of waiting a bit longer and getting a new carpet. I found a beautiful hand knotted ivory/gold and light blue rug with subtle hints of red that I can't get any pictures of due to it being made for the store only. However, the one attached was a possibility, unless I'm advised against it. It may limit my accessory options too much, or be too "busy"? Looking for confirmation on my gut feel.

http://assets.macys.com/navapp/web20/assets/script/scene7/core/images/spacer.gif
June 20, 2014 at 8:47am   
mariatri
I also saw this, but this goes to the dreaded color combo again. It does have my colors though, and brings in a lighter neutral color......
http://ab.pbimgs.com/pbimgs/ab/images/dp/wcm/201405/0339/img90o.jpg
June 20, 2014 at 8:51am   
Nancy Walton
The first link didn't work, but the second rug would be really nice, and tone down all the gold, while you would still be able to use your present furnishings. I hope it wouldn't be too terribly expensive?
June 20, 2014 at 9:32am   
partim
If I were you I wouldn't buy a new rug. I like your rug, and I think you're making good improvements in the appearance of your room, one item at a time.Even if you buy a new rug, you'll still need to make decisions on draperies and art.

Instead of making a decision on the color and trying to find it, why not buy a few solid color drapes and see what they look like in your room? Or stripes might be nice too. You can always return what you don't like.

What is it about the lamp that you don't like?
June 20, 2014 at 10:22am     
Keesee and Associates, Inc.
I second that, partim! You shouldn't feel like you have to change everything in your room. Unless, of course, you're ready for something new. Often times, people go overboard on the advice they give. You can get a lot from their suggestions, but you don't have to follow any of them.

Decide what feels right to you in your room and go with that, whether it's staying with the old or moving to new. Either way, find something that speaks to YOU, not everyone else.
June 20, 2014 at 10:27am     
rlcatron
Here's a link to info about how to choose the correct size lamp and lamp shade. http://homeguides.sfgate.com/choose-correct-size-table-lamp-39332.html
June 20, 2014 at 10:38am   
rlcatron
Here's a photo from HGTV of another arrangement for the chairs. However, I would try this with the two gold chairs, not one gold chair and the cranberry chair. The cranberry chair (without the ottoman) could be put back in its original corner.
June 20, 2014 at 10:44am   
rlcatron
Could we get a photo from this angle with the pillows on the sofa? Thanks!
June 20, 2014 at 10:54am   
christinanick
I agree to not spend time and money on a new area rug. The second rug link would be more of the same. LOVE the last two lamp pics that Keesee sent! Think they would be a great update.
Back to the original question of paint...lighten it up and add the accessories that are on your list and see where everything is at.
I believe choosing a rug is the hardest thing in a room! I took 5 hand knotted tibetan rugs home and it was amazing which worked and which didn't. The one I chose didn't have any of the colors that would of "matched".
June 20, 2014 at 11:04am   
sheilaksb
I do appreciate christinanick's liking some of my suggestions and the courteous comments. Being 67, I probably am older than most of the posters on this site. Even as a young girl I liked traditional décor, and it influences a lot of my suggestions. At age ten I helped my late father renovate the first home my parents owned, and I remember Dad's idea for using a pastel tint in the ceiling paint to make it more interesting than what he considered "boring white." This has led me to consider various options for ceiling color, and I realize not everyone would choose the subtle stripes I suggested. I suppose everyone thinks of ideas each would like to have in his/her own home, and all the ideas are wonderful. As the room in question evolves, more ideas emerge, and I believe the rose shades in the pillow and the rug are great!
June 20, 2014 at 12:15pm   
Nancy Walton
@ Sheila, I think a lot of the posters are our age--we have had a lot of experience! I'm 66.
June 20, 2014 at 12:17pm     
Nancy Walton
Plus, we're retired, so we can be on Houzz all day, LOL!
June 20, 2014 at 12:18pm     
mariatri
Thank you all for contributing your thoughts. I'm not sure how my rug is coming across on your computer screens but it is yellow/gold with no cream or gray in it. The flowers are shades of deep red and rust with greens. No rose, i wish there was! When i compare photos of houzz rooms, i always see a hint of the wall color in the rugs. That's why i started with the green but i'm against that now. I am just searching for something to help me lighten the room that coordinates. I also like clean lines, nothing too busy. I am entertaining all these ideas.
June 20, 2014 at 12:31pm     
rlcatron
Geez! I'm having a time with things not attaching. Mariatri... Here's the photo angle that I mentioned above that would be nice to see with the pillows on the sofa.
June 20, 2014 at 2:15pm   
Nancy Walton
Mariatri, I've done an olioboard so you can see what your room would look like with the patterned drapes.
June 20, 2014 at 3:07pm     
sanjack0
Nice Nancy. Now put a painting above fireplace.
June 20, 2014 at 7:33pm     
Nancy Walton
OK. Will do.
June 20, 2014 at 7:54pm     
mariatri
Wow, Nancy, thank you for doing that. How is that done on your computer? I still think the curtains compete somehow with the rug. I'd love to know how to do it so I could get a picture with the walls painted a lighter color and with solid color panels. Not sure if that's possible. Anyway, I'll attach another picture, this angle, with the pillows a little later when the sun brightens up the room a bit. Thank you for doing this. It helped me to show my husband who has to warm up to the changes I want to make.
June 21, 2014 at 4:35am   
mariatri
I'm attaching a picture with the lighter colored pillows to see if you can put the curtain panels up and pull the colors together.
June 21, 2014 at 8:57am   
sanjack0
I don't think the curtains compete with the rug, and love the way they bring out some of that green in the rug. Maybe a painting with a little green in it? Your room is looking so cozy. Wall color gives warmth. http://www.artsheaven.com/albert-bierstadt-merced-river-california.html http://www.artsheaven.com/claude-monet-the-water-lily-pond-japanese-bridge.html
June 21, 2014 at 9:07am   
Nancy Walton
Here you go, such as it is.
June 21, 2014 at 12:00pm     
hambirg
I would go with a lighter cream, butter cream almost color. This is the picture I found that I liked for you color scheme. Sorry I don't know the paint color, but this is the direction I would go. I think it makes for a nice neutral background and really lightens up the space.
June 21, 2014 at 1:34pm     
mrsberger08
I agree, the patterned curtains make the rug look almost nonexistent (or a solid color anyways). I agree with the above poster, a lighter color on the walls to help accentuate the lighter colored rug. Lighter color walls with a solid or very small print (not floral) window coverings, and it's at least a fresher look than what you currently have.
June 21, 2014 at 4:23pm   
mariatri
I happened to find what I thought was the perfect rug. Hand knotted, muted, updated hues, etc. After much haggling with the store, I thought I made out well cost wise. As it turns out, it has some sun fading. Considering how much I paid, I'm not satisfied with the imperfection. I got it at a so-called bargain for hand knotted since it had been in the manager's house for a period of time. In my home, I noticed some possible sun bleaching. I'm sooooo disappointed because I really liked it. I'm attaching some pictures so you all can see. Finding a duplicate is impossible. If anyone has seen anything like this, please let me know. This has to go back much to my disappointment. I do think the rug helps the furniture work together a little better (except the cranberry chair). I'll deal with that later. I found something with similar colors but the pattern is not as muted. I'll attempt to attach a link.
http://images.horchow.com/ca/1/products/mi/HC-3NLM_mi.jpg
June 23, 2014 at 6:19am     
Keesee and Associates, Inc.
The rug in the link you attached looks very nice and would help bring your room together as well. I love the rugs you've chosen. They all have beautiful patterns. But if you can't find a patterned rug you're happy with, consider a simple, neutral rug. You could always bring pattern in the room through curtains and pillows, unless you just prefer a more traditional rug.

I hope you can find a replacement you love even more soon!
June 23, 2014 at 6:51am   
poof
I'm finding this discussion interesting because I have a similar problem. My rug is very much like mariatri's first rug. I have cranberry and gold stripes in my cream Chippendale sofa, and cranberry pillows and accent wall in the dining room. Touches of green: sage dupioni silk drapes in LR and DR, and Ralph Lauren grey/green walls. Everything is ten years+ old. Want to brighten it up because I only get some east sun in the summer. Winter is dark and dreary. Some of your suggestions have been very helpful to me in planning a lighter, brighter room.

Picking a neutral light gold for the walls has stymied me. Not too bright or greenish or beige. Maybe with a bit of orange.

Vicarious Thanks!
June 23, 2014 at 7:38am     
tennisdi
I moved into a house that had paint colors I wanted to change. On the advice of a paint store owner, I painted the walls throughout the main floor BM cameo white in an eggshell finish and the trim the same color in a high gloss finish. I feel you would be happy with the same color scheme. Cameo white is a very warm creamy off white, not at all stark. I agree with you and do not favor the idea of an accent wall. I also like the new furniture arrangement with the two gold chairs next to the fireplace.
June 23, 2014 at 8:37am     
mariatri
Question for Keesee & Associates, I'd love and prefer to do a neutral rug but wasn't sure what color would update the gold chairs which have deep red dots, and beige couch which looks coppery against ivory. I want to be able to bring in some color that works with both and freshens things up. Any suggestions for a neutral given what I'm working with? Would love suggestions.
June 23, 2014 at 8:50am   
christinanick
I love how you are opting for a solid and more neutral rug! You have so many directions you could go in this room. The comment of TENNISDI regarding paint color for walls and trim is exactly what we did (designer directed) with BM OC18 and it is perfect!!

If it were me I would go in the direction of pulling in some of the wonderful blue, here are some Pottery Barn options I think might work, one solid and one pattern (I have the pattern in my entry and the pattern is so soft, it would pull the golds in) the solid doesn't match anything but would act as a neutral (with color).
June 23, 2014 at 9:47am   
christinanick
ps...I think your original rug is better than the new one you purchased.
June 23, 2014 at 9:50am     
poof
I agree, Christinanick. It kind of dulls the room, emphasizes the beige and wood tones.
June 23, 2014 at 10:52am   
rlcatron
mariatri... I don't think the new rug that you are returning was very helpful, either, especially with the dark pillows on the sofa. A good thing about the new rug is that it doesn't have a center medallion to give you fits about placement of the rug and furniture. I still like your original rug a lot, though. Also, I like the rug you found at http://ab.pbimgs.com/pbimgs/ab/images/dp/wcm/201405/0339/img90o.jpg and the blue w/gold rug (above) that christinanick found. Either rug will go with anything and everything and bring the right touch of cool to the otherwise warm room. I don't think a solid color rug will help.
June 23, 2014 at 1:00pm   
Jillian Kingkade
I think a cool tone would be best since you already have plenty of warm colors in the room. A soft blue or light mossy green perhaps.
June 23, 2014 at 1:32pm   
Keesee and Associates, Inc.
mariatri, I think you're worried too much about getting away from the yellow/gold tones. I love the warmth it brings to your room. Yes, you want some breathing room (color-wise) to break up all the gold, but you're beginning to get there by adding the lighter pillows.

Christinanick and poof were spot on in noticing than the new ivory rug seemed to wash out your room too much. Consider rugs that still have a warm tone, but are more neutral than the yellowy rug you had. And don't be afraid to look at solid color rugs. You'll be able to add pattern in plenty of other areas, and you won't have to worry about it competing with the pattern of your chairs.

Here are some gorgeous rugs to consider - most of them are from Pottery Barn. http://www.potterybarn.com/products/perry-guntufted-wool-rug-neutral/?pkey=call-rugs&cm_src=all-rugs||NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_--_-
I included two photos of this rug - a close up and a dining scene. I always check for photos where the rug is used in a room, since many rugs read differently in a room than they're close-up. This is why several users mistook the yellow in your rug for a cream color. http://www.potterybarn.com/products/fringed-hand-loomed-rug-wheat/?pkey=call-rugs&cm_src=all-rugs||NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_--_- http://www.potterybarn.com/products/henley-rug-wheat/?pkey=call-rugs&cm_src=all-rugs||NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_--_- http://www.potterybarn.com/products/heathered-chenille-jute-rug-natural/?pkey=call-rugs&cm_src=all-rugs||NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_--_- http://www.potterybarn.com/products/build-your-own-custom-chunky-sisal-rug-seagrass/?pkey=call-rugs&cm_src=all-rugs||NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_--_-

If you were wanting something to bring in blues, I wouldn't suggest something that is predominantly blue. Since there's currently no blue in your room, I'd go for a neutral rug with hints of blue like the one below. Find a rug that is mostly neutral with hints of the new color, rather than vice versa. http://www.worldmarket.com/product/ivory-stained-glass-rug.do?page=3&from=fn
June 23, 2014 at 1:36pm     
Keesee and Associates, Inc.
I know you decided against incorporating greens since you didn't want the room to look like Christmas, but I agree with rlcatron again, I think the green rug could still work in the room (I noticed the same rug at Pottery Barn). http://www.potterybarn.com/products/adeline-rug-multi/?pkey=call-rugs&cm_src=all-rugs||NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_--_-

I would not suggest painting the walls green, I still think you should stick with your current color or lean towards a creamy or beige color (like in the photos on right side below). But I think the rug is neutral enough to mesh well with your room. If the walls were cream, and you paired it with a neutral curtain like the ones below, I think the green rug would read more neutral (see dining room photo with rug) rather than reading too green and making the room too Christmas.

The trick is to bring in just that hint of green that the rug has, rather than incorporating green on the walls and/or curtains too. I wouldn't make green one of your main colors, but as a small accent, I think it would be just fine!
June 23, 2014 at 1:45pm   
mariatri
All terrific advice and thank you so much. The pictures of the new rug (which I am not keeping) don't do it justice. It actually is truly beautiful in person. Lots of rusts, gods and gray/blues. The picture pales it considerably. I wasn't about to get pillows until I knew I had a keeper that's why the old pillows are still there. Same with wall color, it will probably change once I find the right rug. loved the light blue/gold pottery barn rug but they don't have anything bigger than 5x8 anymore! So that's out. It's not easy finding the rug that you think you want and it seems to only be in your imagination. Once I find it, I'll be all over the curtains, pillows and art. My search continues....
June 23, 2014 at 1:56pm   
christinanick
Love the new direction and know that if you consider Keesee's advice you'll get a great result. From here I would bring the rugs home, exhausting as it is, and try them...at least 3 options.
June 23, 2014 at 5:58pm     
hambirg
I am in love with that Pottery Barn rug Keesee posted, the third one from the left with the diamond shape pattern. Your window behind where the couch is now is so gorgeous, I think you should do whatever you can to play up that light. I would go with white window treatments. I also agree that a green needs to be the third color. I'm no designer, but I think there would still be places you could add a light robins egg blue, like in pillows. One more thing, I wouldn't go with a large art piece above the mantel. Go pick up a trio of chunky candlesticks for one side, a large architectural piece for the middle or a pair of old shutters and a large vase with some twigs for the other side and spray paint them all white. There would still be room for a small mirror with a gold frame just propped up. All JMO. I'm excited to see where this goes.
June 24, 2014 at 12:40am     
glschisler
I agree shades of green s/b one of your colors because the view out your gorgeous windows is very much a part of your decor already!
June 25, 2014 at 6:47am   
mariatri
I brought home another rug and am looking for some more opinions on if this would be an improvement. The rug is too small for the space but it was just so I could get a feel for how it is in the room. It would allow me to paint the walls an off-white or possible a soft gray even. It would also allow me to bring in either rust or light green pillows, depending on which way I went. It is a bit "busy" but the colors work well with my furniture and my kitchen granite and copper colored kitchen fixtures. I did take a look at the other links from Keesee and loved many of them. After visiting Pottery Barn, the true plain neutrals are just too solid and "off" somehow from my fabrics. Also, some are dhurrie indoor/outdoor rugs like those beautiful diamond patterned rugs. I did look at the one with more predominant green but liked this pattern a little better. Who knows, that may end up in my room as well. Anyhow, love your comments so please bring them on.
June 25, 2014 at 9:04am     
christinanick
I'm feeling this is a no....it feels old and dated instead of fresh. Sorry, JMO.
June 25, 2014 at 9:15am   
Keesee and Associates, Inc.
The rug looks great against your couch, but that's only one piece of your room. Do you feel like it communicates well with the gold and cranberry chairs?

I'm just concerned that if you paint the walls an off-white / gray, and the rug doesn't communicate that your chairs will stand out from the rest of your decor and may look out of place. You want to update the entire room with a cohesive look, being careful not to isolate any one piece.
June 25, 2014 at 9:23am     
Keesee and Associates, Inc.
I tried to look for a few more rugs, and you're right. It's hard to find something that matches your gold chairs and your coppery beige couch. The two colors are close, but not close enough to be complemented by the same tones. It's definitely tricky.

Here are a few options I found, but they definitely are not as traditional as the rugs you've been looking at. I just thought I'd suggest something completely new that might work with your colors. http://www.hayneedle.com/product/suryamodernclassicscan1985arearugmulticolor.cfm http://www.hayneedle.com/product/momeninewwavepiecepartivorynw77rug.cfm
^ this rug would help bring in your cranberry a lot more.

Another option (I'm not sure how pricey it is), there are some companies that allow you to customize the color of your rugs to exactly what you need. Bay Harbor is one of those companies. http://www.customcolorrugs.com/bayharborruggallery
The photos below are a few customized options from their site, just to give you an idea of what they can do.
June 25, 2014 at 9:57am   
mariatri
I'll attach a close up of my chairs with the rug. I'm still looking but thought this could be a contender. This is the closest I've come to a color combo that seems to work with both couch and chairs. I would love to go more modern/fresh but tend to find that the more neutral I go, the contrast between couch/chairs is much more obvious. I also want to stay away from too much white since this is our family room and I have a child. I hesitate with online orders due to shipping costs for returns. I prefer to see it before I buy it given my chair/couch colors. Once I've exhausted my local options, I'll consider ordering. Thanks so far.....
June 25, 2014 at 10:36am     
rlcatron
I agree with a traditional rug design since all of the furniture is traditional style. The rug looks better in the close-ups than the full view. It appears too light in the full view and definitely too light for the dark floors. (Love your dark floors.) The gold walls may be throwing it off, too. I like it better than the last one you tried, but not as much as your original rug or the blue one and green one shown above. Instead of trying to match the golds, rusts, etc., bring one home to try that is similar to the blue and/or green ones to get a feel for the contrast of the cool colors.

Although experts say to choose the rug first, since you seem to have decided to paint the walls, I would do so before getting a new rug. It may change your mind about the orignal rug, as well. As mentioned previously, I would use a cream color with a yellow undertone that is not so light that it looks white. I don't think a gray undertone will work with the gold and tan furniture.
June 25, 2014 at 11:03am     
rlcatron
A little suggestion, even though the sample rugs may not be the correct size, try placing them against the sofa legs for a better idea of how they would look under the sofa.
June 25, 2014 at 11:06am   
rlcatron
I wouldn't mail order a rug, either. Where do you live?
June 25, 2014 at 11:09am   
christinanick
Is your original rug still in the running? I think the new ones you are considering are not different enough for the investment, I would keep the rug and buy a new coffee table instead and add the new paint, panels, mirror and other accessories. Rugs are the most difficult and your original is good!
June 25, 2014 at 11:30am     
glschisler
Is there a Basset Furniture store in your area? My great rm is very similar in color & set up as yours . Our area is like the Legacy sold by Basset. Goes with everything & hides dirt well. You can view it on line but must buy at the store.
June 25, 2014 at 11:39am   
glschisler
Opps it is called Expressions.
June 25, 2014 at 11:39am   
christinanick
Going way back to the beginning of this thread and keeping it simple:
1. Keep Rug & current furniture
2. Lighten Paint
3. Add solid or lightly patterned pillows that are lighter than your current ones and coordinate with the accessories you add and paint
4. Add mantel accessories-mirror, vase trio, candle trio, print
5. Add light/cream panels (a nice stripe would be good too)
6. Add coffee table accessories like a large book or 2, vase with fresh cream roses, & other object

To Acquire in the Future:
1. Replace lamps with updated ones
2. Replace coffee table with larger one

Adding layers of color and texture instead of matching....
June 25, 2014 at 12:21pm     
mariatri
Christinanick, you've given me a great plan of action. As I came home to view the rug a few more times, I'm not thrilled with the pattern. The colors work really well with my open kitchen, though. So, I may have to do as you suggested which will buy me some extra time with the rug search. The old rug is still here. I was hoping to not have to look at it again. The yellow/beige/gold just overwhelms me. In person, you'd see what I mean. I'd hate to buy accessories that then don't work with a new rug. Paint may get me started. Holding my fabrics up to grays (as in paint colors) just doesn't work, especially the two chairs. It may have to be a shade of cream paint. Ricatron, I love that World Market stained glass rug and wish I could see it live. I live in NJ and there are no World Markets around here. I also liked some of the geometrics you gave a link to at hayneedle. Then there's the rather traditional husband who has a say in the matter as well, geometric is not his thing. I'm working on converting him.
June 25, 2014 at 1:29pm   
Keesee and Associates, Inc.
I definitely agree with rlcatron, it might be best to paint your walls first. You're hoping to change quite a bit in your room, and each change will have an effect on the other pieces you choose. Since you already have the challenge of matching colors to your furniture, having walls that are more neutral may make a big impact and may open your options for which rugs will work. It's a big step, but paint is inexpensive comparatively, and it will probably help guide your other decisions.

I think christinanick is brilliant for bringing it back to the basics. Sometimes, it's easy to get stuck on one piece in your room in a never ending search. Try the smaller updates, then go back to the rug, and you may just find some fresh inspiration. If not, the updates you do make in the meantime will help you live with the room until you find the perfect rug!
June 25, 2014 at 2:00pm     
rlcatron
Christinanick...I was thinking of doing a similar list. LOL I would a matching bookcase to the list (to go on the other side of the TV cabinet).
June 25, 2014 at 2:32pm   
rlcatron
...I would add a matching bookcase...
June 25, 2014 at 2:35pm   
mariatri
That bookcase had a hefty price tag being from ethan allen. It's also much wider than typical media sets. I don't want to fill the wall up with all that wood. Coffee table first....
June 25, 2014 at 3:04pm     
christinanick
I will add that in my experience, I'm sure we can all relate, that when hunting for the right rug or art that we get so involved we lose sight of the bigger picture because it's soooo time consuming finding the right one. I'm confident that the rug will come in "organically" at the right time! Okay, so about the paint! We are so excited to see what you choose!

As for picking the right accessories, don't be afraid to do this now! If you love something it will work!! You have a certain style that speaks to you and that is you, trust that!

I would say to pass on a geo pattern in the future carpet though. You need a timeless style you won't tire of and I don't see doing that as timeless.
June 25, 2014 at 5:28pm   
glschisler
Sherwin Williams paint is on sale now & they can match paint colors.
June 25, 2014 at 5:57pm   
thebighouse169
I have run out of battery on my I pad twice reading through this thread.
You have received tons of advice and sorting through it will make your hair hurt.
Decide if this is a formal space or a family space and let your answer guide you.
1. TV stand is very high. A lower one would help the room's balance. Over the mantle is way too high even though you see that design everywhere. Does't make it pretty or practical.
2. Husband and son need the TV so It should not be on the wall opposite the afternoon sun. I assume they watch afternoon sports on weekends. Get a lower table and place it to the right of the fireplace at an angle. Then when it's on it will be the focal point and when it's off the fireplace will.
3. Put sofa on the long wall and gold chairs flanking. This arrangement allows for easy TV watching but also allows guests to enjoy the woodsy leafy view. Place the burgundy chair with ottoman to the right of the window angled in and add a table and reading lamp. If there is wall room behind the chair on the window wall put the bookcase there (right of the window.) I think this is your chair!
4 I think you find the burgundy chair a problem because it is the only large dark fabric in the room. Nothing to balance it. You may find it more pleasing in its new location. add a gold throw to balance the color and for comfort.
5. Draperies full length straight hanging flanking all the windows. They should be a floral stripe incorporating your desired colors.
6. Sofa is really the issue. Your gold chairs, burgundy chair and ottoman, rug, tables and lamps are all quite formal while the sofa is more country with its textured fabric. That's the item that should be recovered or replaced. Disguising it with soft pillows in desired colors and fabrics will help. Also a silky throw in rich colors will help. Look for a good leather sofa in a formal shape and coordinating color. It will last you forever even with the boys TV watching. Will probably cost the same as a good professional paint job.
7 over the sofa place 3 fairly large coordinating prints of your favorite things that bring in the colors that you like.
Matching frames in color and size will make the room more formal.
Or A collage of coordinating pictures will be more casual. Mix and match them with other decorative items for a more casual style.
If you go with one large painting it may start to look like a motel room.
8. Over the fireplace a pretty mirror. Don't be afraid of gold frames and brass accents. These colors are on their way back in and will add a little sparkle to the room. You have brass in your fireplace screen, so place a brass pot, coal scuttle or other decorative item on the hearth. Offset chunky candle holders on the mantle. You can also find an old large decorative framed mirror and paint it creamy white. It will look great.
9. Green plants or a floor pot with curly willow.
10. I know you want to replace the coffee table. Since this is a family room, make sure it has storage for remotes magazines and places for drinks and snacks and room for coaster and cocktail napkin storage. Light airy glass would look lovely but not practical for the room's purpose and cleanup would be constant pain.
11. Crown molding will be fine once the TV is lower as the rest of your furniture is low. For resale buyers want the crown molding, just don't overdo it.
12. Bring some of the living room colors into the kitchen in the chair seats. Spray the fabric with scotch guard and skip the plastic covers. The plastic kills the look of the table. Table runners and candles and center pieces can all pull in the living room colors. Add a little color to your pretty kitchen.
Overall your things are quite nice, jut looks a little unfinished. You will be happiest if you keep the room purpose in mind and work with it rather than against it. You want to end up with a comfly family and friends place. Go with your gut.
June 27, 2014 at 6:24am   
mariatri
Thebighouse69, thank you for your input and I get your point. You are right about the purpose of the room. Unfortunately, due to other very large expensive projects that we are in the middle of having to do with our house, I am limited on where/how I'll spend my money. I like the corner tv idea but really wanted to switch out my rug! So, it'd be one or the other, or maybe neither. Trying to nail down paint color still as I'm looking for the right creamy white. I did come across a few things that I wanted opinions on. Picked up a bargain lamp that I like but maybe I should avoid the gold? I can't seem to get away from it. I picked up couple of rug swatches and wanted to show you all how gray does not work with my couch color. at all. It really looks drab. I did love the antique ivory color in the other swatch but the carpet online looks really busy. I'll attach a link to the full size if I can. This rug would let me bring in black and a really pretty greenish blue, plus it'll be a good price for a large wool rug. I am still looking for something neutral but am having difficulty finding anything. What do you all think of lamp and ivory rug?
http://www.capelrugs.com/SupplyImages/Main_Images/9205_660c_R.jpg
June 27, 2014 at 7:50am     
Keesee and Associates, Inc.
Mariatri, you are so persistent! It seems like you have a new option each day.

I really like the ivory rug and the lamp. I'd love to see the rug full size, but I think the colors look great with your furniture. It's my favorite option so far.

It is a little busier than your other options, but it might work well in your room, especially if you went with solids or simple patterns in curtains / couch pillows. Pattern isn't the other way to bring interest, different textures and fabrics can add a lot to a room too. And since you don't have a ton of patterns in your room, I don't think the carpet will compete with anything in there now. It might be the statement piece you've been looking for.

Could you post a wider angle shot, so we could see the carpet sample and the lamp with your furniture? The close-ups are helpful for getting the idea, but I think it'd help to see how they affect the look of your room as a whole, too. :)
June 27, 2014 at 8:01am     
thebighouse169
Here's a fabric that could tie all your colors together. It has your colors and that nice sagey green. From Country Curtains. The cream in this would be a nice paint background or your current gold would go fine. Don't let the name fool you, they have some nice not so country looks. I also added a pic of the faux silk so you can see it against a gold wall. Very elegant. I Like the creamy background rug, the gray not at all.
June 27, 2014 at 8:48am   
rlcatron
mariatri... I think this ivory rug is the best so far, and it has that touch of light blue to bring in a little cool that you can bring out more with accessories. i don't think it will look too busy at all, but it may look too light until you paint the walls in ivory/cream. The lamp is a modern design, but nice.and seems to brighten things up.

I'm glad you have seen in person that gray tones will not work. Be sure the ivory/cream paint you choose does not have a gray undertone. Also, I would not try to match the paint color to the rug background color exactly. The paint needs to be a shade or two darker.
June 27, 2014 at 9:01am     
mariatri
The pictures below show the rug and lamp. Sorry, it's just a swatch and not a true carpet size. I'd have to order it and then have no choice but to keep it. That's why I wanted other opinions. The colors are perfect but the online pix show a very busy rug. I'll be thinking about it. By this weekend I hope to have a few paint colors on the wall. I'm still hoping to find the right cream and it's really hard. The darker I go, the colors end up looking like what I have. Sorry if I'm driving you all crazy. I'll get there (with your help)!
June 27, 2014 at 9:31am     
Keesee and Associates, Inc.
I'm definitely a fan of this rug. Don't be too thrown off by the online views. So many rugs look so busy in online photos, but aren't as intense when used in a room. That's exactly why I usually try to find a photo of the rug used in a room, not just an "aerial" view.

If the sample doesn't feel too busy to you, I think the actual rug will follow suit. But I've noticed that online rug pictures usually don't do them justice. You're getting closer, just hang in there!
June 27, 2014 at 9:43am     
christinanick
Wow! I'm loving the lamp!! Very nice!! Don't avoid the gold! And, I second Keesee and am too a fan of the rug choice. Yeah! The bonus is that it has that wonderful blue in there that I love with the colors you have.
June 27, 2014 at 10:46am     
christinanick
Also, I do like the grey rug too, both would work.
June 27, 2014 at 10:50am   
rlcatron
I think the rug will work. 100% wool at a decent price? I say go for it. It will last forever and then some! In addition to having all the colors you want, it brings out the beauty of your stone hearth. I'm having second thoughts about the lamp. It looks a couple of inches too tall and almost non-existent in the full view. I don't think it would show any better with ivory/cream walls.

Perhaps you can sell the gold rug on Craigslist.
June 27, 2014 at 11:05am   
rlcatron
Yeah, this rug will work well with your gold chairs, too, since the gold in it is not over-bearing..
June 27, 2014 at 11:07am   
mariatri
Some positive news - I visited the store that has the carpet. One of their designers told me she's just designed someone's room around this very rug. She may visit the house on Monday and get me a picture of the rug surrounded by furnishings, etc. I'm very close to choosing this one based on that future photo. We'll see. If I wait a few weeks, they'll have a big sale so it'll be a while before I can actually get it in here with ordering and all. It would help give me direction. Thank you for the comment on the lamp. Tags still hanging and all, I had to live with it a while, but I agree, perhaps too tall, not substantial enough. Hope to get lucky at HomeGoods. Now on to the paint, maybe a decision can actually get made....
June 27, 2014 at 12:32pm     
rlcatron
That's great about the rug and the store's designer! In addition to the lamp being a bit too tall, your end tables seem a little tall as well. Tall end tables are fine, but lamp height needs to be in proportion to the seating. Here's the link again for info on measuring lamps.
http://homeguides.sfgate.com/choose-correct-size-table-lamp-39332.html

I have seem some gorgeous lamps at Home Goods, T J Maxx, Marshalls, and Tuesday Morning. I've seen the same lamps at Marshalls for $49.99 each that I've seen on-line for $200 and above.

I think your floor lamp would still be useful with a different shade.
June 27, 2014 at 2:42pm   
hambirg
Wow, I love the rug! I actually like the new lamp, but I have a thing for lamps like some women do shoes. :blush: But if you decide you don't like it, I think if you were feeling brave, you could spray paint your current lamps. I like their shape.
June 27, 2014 at 5:09pm   
mariatri
Hi everyone.... weeks of hunting have passed, waiting for rug samples, etc. I came across this and really liked it, probably because it helps me get away from the "traditional" look that I've been tired of. I would love your thoughts on my updating with this geometric rug pattern. With this, I thought I could then paint the walls a nice creamy white, patterned curtains in gold and white (I'll embrace the gold rather than fight it), and bring in a more contemporary metal/glass coffee table and modern lamps. Also, pillows in cream, gold, with a pop of maybe rust which would tie into my kitchen which has copper fixtures. Ricatron and Christinanick, I'd love your thoughts. Rather limiting in color but the room may take on a whole new look. Good look or bad look is my question.
July 11, 2014 at 1:46pm     
glschisler
Yeaa! Now you have a plan! Run with it!
July 11, 2014 at 2:29pm   
Keesee and Associates, Inc.
I love the new rug, I'm liking your new direction. :)
July 14, 2014 at 6:50am   
Need help w/livingroom wall color
Dark paneling on one wall, rough beams, dark brown...
fireplace wall color, livingroom wall color, art help
Looking to paint fireplace wall. Color ideas for fireplace...
Need help for the wall in the livingroom
I need something to hang on the wall behind the sofa....
Need help for furnishing small livingroom with revere pewter walls
Small beach house with revere pewter walls open plan...
Need help with deciding on tile for livingroom wall
I would like to get some advice on what to add to this...
What color should I paint this small bedroom?
Main floor is getting painted next week. Mostly SW...
Bar Area?
We have this empty room and would love to have a "hanging...
Im now ready for exterior Paint colors-Overwhelmed by inside choices,
Ive loved this house for fourteen years and have often...
Need kitchen cabinet help for a tiny kitchen
I am purchasing a small cottage with a tiny kitchen....
Living room decoration idea
Whatever your style, we’ll help you achieve it. Make...