Shoes on or off indoors?
Sheila Schmitz
Do you ask guests to remove their shoes when they come into your house?
Shoes are always off in my house
I'd never ask my guests to remove their shoes at the door
Off, on — whatever makes people comfy
People see us in socks and get the idea
We all go barefoot
This is an older poll, but curious to see all our new community members' opinions as well. I am almost always in shoes at home. I don't know why that is. I went with Off, On - whatever makes people comfy.
3 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Sheila Schmitz    June 26, 2013 at 1:49PM
Oellien Design, Inc.
When you are a member of our household your shoes come off from the minute you walk in the door. As an adult guest I would never asked them to take their shoes,,,,,,,,,,except if our kids have their friends over and then the kids and the their friends must take off their shoes.
6 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Sheila Schmitz    June 26, 2013 at 1:57PM
Brenda
timely post for me ... I just had my hardwood floors refinished 2 weeks ago, and have been talked into hosting an event for 25 people this SUNDAY (I'm also in the process of a kitchen remodel with no stove or counters and a utility sink hooked up to my dishwasher).

I would LOVE to ask everyone to take their shoes off at the door (just for this one event) ... I can say without reservation that not one of them would do it voluntarily without me asking, and all of them would consider it rude.
2 Likes    Bookmark   June 26, 2013 at 2:02PM
pearlmelba
Kids adults no exceptions ...... No shoes .... I even take mine off on visiting family and friends have done so From a child ...might be odd but never rude ......
But if they have smelly feet then its shoes back on and fast lol@brenda ..... That's a lot of smelly feet good luck with that one
2 Likes    Bookmark   June 26, 2013 at 2:04PM
Sierra Jones
OFF OFF OFF! R U KIDDING ME? Just think of the disgusting things the bottom of your shoes have come into contact with while walking outside....
Is this the bacteria you want spread all over your home? And if you have small kids?! They are crawling, walking, and playing in that filth!
And guests...? Not stepping one foot inside with shoes on unless I see a tag on them, and they came out the box!
5 Likes    Bookmark   June 26, 2013 at 2:04PM
Oellien Design, Inc.
Wow,,,,,,,a great clean walk off matt at the door and allow your guest to arrive at your party with their shoes on. I can't imagine asking my guest to take their shoes off unless if they just walk through the snow/ice or mudd.
12 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Sheila Schmitz    June 26, 2013 at 2:09PM
studio10001
It's tricky, Brenda, agreed. I keep a basket of slip-ons by the door next to a mud tray (that usually houses a pair or two of shoes), but it takes patience on both sides of the greeting to establish a pattern, and a large get-together is a challenging place to begin. A humorous plea may go far in your case: "please, madame, we've refinished the floors - may I trade you this booze for your shoes?"
8 Likes    Bookmark   June 26, 2013 at 2:12PM
B.L. Rieke Custom Home Builders
Usually shoes off for the sake of respect, but when you have grandparents come over or those with back problems, sometimes the shoes have to stay on. I can't make my guests uncomfortable just because I want a spotless floor. Besides, the bacteria (and smell) on barefeet is often worse than what's on the bottom of a shoe...
4 Likes    Bookmark   June 26, 2013 at 2:14PM
Brenda
"may I trade you this booze for your shoes?" ... so @studio, you've met my family ...
2 Likes    Bookmark   June 26, 2013 at 2:14PM
0825sam
If you are going to entertain in your home, your job as a host is to make your guests comfortable. I would never ask someone to remove their shoes. Common courtesy would cause most guests to remove their shoes of their own accord were they to be covered with rain, snow or mud.
And us ladies know the shoes are part of the outfit :)
12 Likes    Bookmark   June 26, 2013 at 2:14PM
indianpatti
Off or you won't get in!
    Bookmark   June 26, 2013 at 2:16PM
0825sam
Footnote: that being said I am very respectful of a shoes off house. It, however, is a pet peeve of mine when the shoes off house people do not extend the same courtesy of at least offering to remove their shoes in my home.
3 Likes    Bookmark   June 26, 2013 at 2:17PM
Brenda
I've considered sending out an email reminder to my guests confirming the time and what each has offered to bring ... and in the email stating that we've just had our floors refinished so either soft-soled shoes or no shoes please ...

Is that rude?
2 Likes    Bookmark   June 26, 2013 at 2:17PM
jemal
We're not born with shoes on; so they can come off too!!!...it's not a question of niceties or people's supposed comfort!, but a question of hygiene, time spent to clean the house because of dirt stuck under shoes, carried into the house, and real comfort; no one can claim it's more comfy with shoes on! and no one goes to sleep with shoes on, except drunks!...
1 Like    Bookmark   June 26, 2013 at 2:20PM
jemal
Asking guests to take their shoes off is definitely not rude, however asking to take their pants off can be misunderstood!...
3 Likes    Bookmark   June 26, 2013 at 2:24PM
B.L. Rieke Custom Home Builders
@Brenda: Not at all! You were considerate enough to let them know ahead of time, just in case common courtesy is forgotten...
1 Like    Bookmark   June 26, 2013 at 2:24PM
pearlmelba
Shoes being apart of a ladies outfit ..... So true if you care about your shoes then care about your feet. Get them manicured its a must coming to my house lol
    Bookmark   June 26, 2013 at 2:26PM
Brenda
lol jemal ...
    Bookmark   June 26, 2013 at 2:27PM
Brenda
Alright, I'm doing it. I'm sending the email. I'll report back Monday how it went down ... and no jemal, I didn't say "pants down" ...
3 Likes    Bookmark   June 26, 2013 at 2:28PM
B.L. Rieke Custom Home Builders
Good luck! Although I would hope they will all be understanding.
    Bookmark   June 26, 2013 at 2:30PM
pearlmelba
Wanting to keep your new floors nice
asking people to take shoes off
But when they visit a few months later when your floors are not so new
Do they still takes shoes off
1 Like    Bookmark   June 26, 2013 at 2:31PM
Barnhart Gallery
I'm in a great deal of pain standing even in orthopedic soles. Without them, I cannot walk. I even wear them in my own clean shower.

I'm not old and I appear to be able-bodied, but you never know. Please don't assume your visitors rude if they don't volunteer.

And I steam mop often enough that I'd rather shoes than people's feet on my floors. Dirt I can clean and my hardwoods are designed to be up to the traffic, but foot bacteria, ugh, no thanks.
5 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Sheila Schmitz    June 26, 2013 at 2:36PM
There is this solution for your special occasion, the disposable shoe cover. My electrician always puts them on when he comes into the house.

Guests will understand about your floors and construction. Email them in advance and have a basket full waiting at the door.

Personally, I would love to have a shoes off rule, but in some cases I would rather the shoes than some bare feet on my floors. Yucky, yucky and stinky winky. :>) http://www.uline.com/BL_976/Shoe-Covers?pricode=WG154&gclid=CM28gJXWgrgCFcF9OgodoWsA7w&gclsrc=aw.ds

You can also pick these up at a Home Depot or building supply house. Put ribbons on the gals'.
6 Likes    Bookmark   June 26, 2013 at 2:36PM
pearlmelba
@Brenda ....Brave .... Tell them the ladies must have manicured feet .... Men clean socks no holes
And just for jemal... Clean underwear lol
Good luck with the Emails.
1 Like    Bookmark   June 26, 2013 at 2:39PM
pearlmelba
judyg....... Think you may well have hit on something pink bows ...... Love it
2 Likes    Bookmark   June 26, 2013 at 2:41PM
Paige Brasche
Wow, I never knew there were so many people with a "shoes off" rule, and I've hosted and attended quite a few parties in my day. What does Emily Post say?
2 Likes    Bookmark   June 26, 2013 at 2:55PM
kimdee24
Off. It's a Canadian thing. Shoes come off at the door and it's never a question of whether you should or not. You just do it.

The ONLY time you wouldn't is if the host/hostess told you not to. And even then, there'd be... "Omg, really? Are you sure?" And you'd still feel weird about it.
6 Likes    Bookmark   June 26, 2013 at 2:58PM
Jayme H.
I like shoes "off", but am not opposed to wearing clean shoes inside.
4 Likes    Bookmark   June 26, 2013 at 2:59PM
Grayling Construction
Off, It's an Alaskan thing. No shoes in the house except the entryway. People here are really insulted if you don't take them off.
1 Like    Bookmark   June 26, 2013 at 3:00PM
Chasa Bassa
i asked my repair man to remove his shoes and minutes later the house was smelling off something rotten my son kept asking me where that smell was coming from but i just couldnt tell the guy to put his shoes back on again.. lesson learnt i never ask visitors i dont know to remove their shoes..
4 Likes    Bookmark   June 26, 2013 at 3:00PM
Brenda
Here's my email:

Hi everyone

There seems to be a bit of confusion about the time of the get together on Sunday, so I just wanted to clarify – 1:00pm.

Thanks for all the offers to help out with food. It’s been a huge help to me, but I think we have everything covered now.
Bonnie salad
Pat salad, fruit
Barb dessert
Sue pound cake
Colleen beer
Bill Coffee

We just had our hardwood floors refinished 2 weeks ago, so please wear either soft soled shoes or no shoes.

Looking forward to seeing everyone!

Brenda
5 Likes    Bookmark   June 26, 2013 at 3:01PM
Amy Stanley
It is shoes off always at my house- actually put up signs when there is a large gathering requesting this. I in turn remove my shoes at other houses whether they want me to or not out of respect.
3 Likes    Bookmark   June 26, 2013 at 3:02PM
studio10001
Emily is'nt able to respond but here is what Peggy Post has to offer:
My clean-freak friend makes visitors take off their shoes before entering her home. Can I refuse if I know I won't track anything in?
Answer
A hostess is within her rights to ask guests to remove their shoes -- especially if it's snowing or raining outside. If it makes you uncomfortable, bring an extra pair of your own shoes so you won't have to go barefoot. In fact, she should offer slippers so you won't be cold or embarrassed. That said, a good hostess should be flexible. If she doesn't know her guests well or is having a big party, she should suspend the no-shoes rule, at least for one nigh

Read more: Removing Shoes in the House -- Peggy Post Etiquette - Good Housekeeping
Follow us: @goodhousemag on Twitter | GOODHOUSEKEEPING on Facebook
Visit us at GoodHouseKeeping.com
3 Likes    Bookmark   June 26, 2013 at 3:09PM
pearlmelba
Which pair would you wear lol
    Bookmark   June 26, 2013 at 3:18PM
Brenda
the baby slippers and rat slippers are my FAV
1 Like    Bookmark   June 26, 2013 at 3:21PM
studio10001
Those are EXACTLY what are in the footie basket come wintertime!! (courtesy of the Ministry of Funny Walks, of course)
3 Likes    Bookmark   June 26, 2013 at 3:22PM
pearlmelba
@Brenda. ... Yes love the baby slippers not so much the hairy legs lol
Maybe send a picture of funny slippers with your Email...But maybe then you will take a chance of them not taking you seriously
    Bookmark   June 26, 2013 at 3:37PM
HI -- Removing your shoes in the house is just something everybody tends to do in Canada . My husband is from Holland and his mother always kindly told people to remove their shoes when they came into her house if they didn't know better. . We have just always done that . A friend in the country had a big basket of washable slippers for people to change into when they came for a visit . It was nice and comforting - his floors were very cold . I don't know why some people think it's rude - I think it's a way to make people feel comfortable and relaxed . Some say they took great effort to match their shoes with their outfit. That matters only if it is at a public place but not if your visiting some ones home. But if it is a fancy house party , then people wear their shoes in the house -- their choice .
4 Likes    Bookmark   June 26, 2013 at 3:41PM
bluenan
I'm reading this and shaking my head. I'd never ask anyone to remove shoes before they were allowed to be in my house, and I can't imagine having a party with everyone dressed up and wearing shoe booties or slippers! I have a good vacuum which I use regularly and wet mops and dust mops. I'd much rather have shoes than other's bare feet in my house. Obviously, there are exceptions for wet and muddy shoes. If I wore a nice, stylish outfit with pants hemmed for my 3.5" heels and I had to take my shoes off and walk around with my pants dragging on the floor all night, not only would I be miffed, I guarantee they would be dirty when I got home, regardless of how spotless the host thought their home was.
17 Likes    Bookmark   June 26, 2013 at 4:21PM
kimdee24
bluenan, I'd be "miffed" if you insisted on walking all over my hardwood floors in your 3.5" heels. Sorry. I shake my head at why anyone would want to track in all the dirt and crap and god knows what we step in all day long in our daily lives through our homes when we spend oodles of money on flooring and our precious time trying to keep things clean. Makes no sense to me in the least.

House parties in Canada, shoes still come off at the door 95% of the time without a second thought to it, and it would always be at the host/hostesses discretion as to on or off. I can only think of one friend who says not to bother at her parties, and that's only because she's got a porcelain tiled floor.

Besides, there's always a chance (or a joke about) going home with a better pair than you came with!
1 Like    Bookmark   June 26, 2013 at 4:47PM
hazeldazel
I could see if people's shoes were muddy (get a better walkway?) but if you're worried more about your floors than your guests' comfort, then maybe you choose the wrong flooring. Perhaps get a more durable choice?
7 Likes    Bookmark   June 26, 2013 at 5:12PM
Oellien Design, Inc.
We lived throughout the USA and throughout Europe and we were brought up to remove our shoes upon entering our home. Our family always removes our shoes but I never ask my guests to remove their shoes unless it has snowed, or it raining cats and dogs or if they have walked through mud upon their journey to our home. But, reading this thread seems to be very regionally based. I have to admit this has been a very interesting read.
5 Likes    Bookmark   June 26, 2013 at 5:17PM
Brenda
You know, I'm not sure how I feel about this whole issue. But what I know is right now I have a 2 week old finish on my hardwood floors that WILL scratch if people wear heels on it.

I thought about hosting a "garden party", and putting the food outside and having the door open for the downstairs bath (so that no one would walk on my upper level floors). But there are some older people coming and I thought the 90 degree temps would be an issue

I thought about covering the floors in huge sheets of cardboard that were taped together (which is what my cabinet installer is planning on doing a few days from now).

I thought about saying "I know your grandkids (my niece & nephew) are in town for the first in 6 years, but we're going to have to go to a restaurant because I can't host an event in the middle of a remodel."

In the end, I decided to host the event and asked everyone to wear soft sole shoes or go shoeless.

It's a family event ... the "in-laws". If it were my family, I'd say "Hey! Take your damn shoes off!". But with the in-laws you have to "couch" things..
2 Likes    Bookmark   June 26, 2013 at 5:27PM
Linda
we usually remove our shoes in the entryway and most of our kids friends do the same. when I was a child my mother had the rule that work boots had to stay on the hard surface floor in the back mudroom and office area (farm). we always had a rug at the door and I remember my dad shuffling that rug into the kitchen to raid the fridge or cookie jar
Now they are retired but we all take our shoes off still. There is a chair at both the front door and the garage door so you can sit down to put on shoes. I think anyone who expects guests to remove shoes should provide a bench or chair although in my house we have to sit on the steps in the back hallway
1 Like    Bookmark   June 26, 2013 at 5:33PM
armygirl1987
Brenda-Do they come from home with no shoe because you said soft sole or no shoe. You did not specify inside the house. Lol, just kidding. Personally I would just put a sign on the door versus sending it in the email but that is just me. I would never tell guest to take of their shoes. But my shoes is by the front door so most of my guest in particular the kids take their shoes off as soon as they come in the house.
1 Like    Bookmark   June 26, 2013 at 5:53PM
studio10001
*L* If only lifestyle choices boiled down to durable floors,eh? But alas, that will not help bluenan, who will have already turned an ankle/developed burrs/stubbed a toe on the cobbles/ripped the hem of her stylish outfit/ cursed the host/ driven home/got an ice bag/called her lawyer/ then changed into slippers after all from the long walk to the door in sex-me shoes! :( The moral of the story is (no, not 'don't invite blunan') is that -ideally- different situations require different choices on behalf of host and guest alike ....(or maybe that the hosting protocol for black tie and swingers is creepily the same, but I think the first one is better..) :))
    Bookmark   June 26, 2013 at 5:56PM
grewa002
We take off our shoes, but I find it rude to ask guests to do that. I find it rude to be asked to take shoes off at a party, if we are going nicely dressed. Shoes are part of the outfit!

I do ask though people to take off their shoes before the go on the carpeted part upstairs, where our bedrooms are. But that is only for the people we know well enough to visit our bedrooms.
2 Likes    Bookmark   June 26, 2013 at 7:20PM
kennywells
I've always taken my shoes off. When I would visit friends' places and start to take my shoes off and get told "oh no, you can wear those," I feel out of place. Hahaha
You can wear shoes in my house if they're an indoor only pair like slippers or snappy white kicks. Outdoor shoes don't tread my floors.
I had a Romanian friend growing up whose parents made us take our shoes off...and leave them outside!!!! Mind you, those were the whitest carpets I ever saw, but leaving my good shoes outside was as odd as wearing them indoors.
1 Like    Bookmark   June 26, 2013 at 7:29PM
OnePlan
Wellies / riding boots off at the door - but shoes I'm not so harsh on !! But the kids in the village here all seem to automatically throw their shoes off at the door - we have a big basket for them - but none of them actually put their shoes in it !!! And they wonder how I know how many cookies and drinks to take into them !!! Lol !!
3 Likes    Bookmark   June 27, 2013 at 5:49AM
Sierra Jones
Had to re-comment :
@Kimdee: You hit it on the nail! Canadians find it rude if someone does NOT take off their shoes ....not if they ask you to. If they have to ask you to, they are already thinking....'What the hell is this person thinking walking on my clean floor with their nasty shoes...? ' Lol.

Of corse the exception would be elderly, or if you have some kind of special foot condition, like others have mentioned, but anything else.....really? Your feet are NOT as dirty as your shoes...come on. How many times a day do you shower and soap the bottom of your shoes???

Also I guess having toddlers and a crawling baby my alerts are higher than some. I clean my floor so my baby has a clean surface to play. If you are wearing shoes in my house, everything my baby touches that has come into contact with the bottom of your shoes is dirty and germ filled.
5 Likes    Bookmark   June 27, 2013 at 7:41AM
orangecamera
I wear a prosthetic and cannot walk without my shoes. I don't even take them off going through airport security. Luckily, I don't have any friends who have a "no shoes in the house" policy!

@Brenda, I would just ask the installer to leave the cardboard down. You can tell your guests that hosting the family was important to you, you're *so* glad they were all able to come, yadda yadda yadda, and you hope they understand your "under construction" status.
    Bookmark   June 27, 2013 at 7:53AM
kimdee24
orangecamera -- you would be exempt from the 'no shoes' rule in my house.
3 Likes    Bookmark   June 27, 2013 at 7:58AM
orangecamera
I appreciate that, @kimdee24. The thing is, most people don't know about my prosthetic, so others would see me with shoes on and assume I'm rude, I guess.
2 Likes    Bookmark   June 27, 2013 at 8:01AM
sstarr93
People need to get over their floors. They're just floors, and are meant to be walked on. Do we ask guests to use other parts of our house carefully, so as not to scratch or damage anything?

I used to think that this was only done in Japan, and I never encountered the no-shoe rule until moving to northern New England. Here, you are likely to be told to take off your shoes at parties, but there is something weirdly too personal about walking around in socks at the home of people you're visiting for the first time. At least in Japan, I think they provide those nice clogs to guests to use in the house.

And yes, shoes are often a fashion accessory, not just mud and snow-covered problems. Also, for some people it is painful to walk around without shoes...
5 Likes    Bookmark   June 27, 2013 at 8:03AM
0825sam
Regardless of your take on this as a general matter, as Peggy Post says the key is to be flexible. If you are opening your home for a cocktail party or event or you have invited people over for a party, you should not be asking people to remove their shoes because your job as a host is to make your guests at home not for your guests to accommodate you (maybe they are just as skeeved by walking barefoot on your floors, as you are by their shoes; maybe they feel completely undignified walking around at a party in a pair of slippers; maybe there is a hole in their sock). If you can't be flexible in those instances, in my humble opinion, you should not volunteer to entertain in your home or should consider having your parties outside of the home.
There is obviously a distinction between hosting a party and having a couple of people over for dinner, or your kids friends coming in from outside, or when it's just family.
9 Likes    Bookmark   June 27, 2013 at 8:09AM
mabulu
Shoes off. No exceptions. But we have slippers for guests if they feel uncomfortable or cold without any footwear.
2 Likes    Bookmark   June 27, 2013 at 8:12AM
bluenan
I wonder if the "no shoes" contingent also put plastic coverings on all of their furniture so, God forbid, someone's skin that might not have just been cleansed might accidentally touch the fabric? What's next, lining the bathroom with plastic when you have guests. What kind of guests do you have that make you so overly concerned? Some respondents border on paranoid!
4 Likes    Bookmark   June 27, 2013 at 8:15AM
Linda
Years ago I worked for a company which made small metal parts for the automotive industry. So, in our plants there were always lots of metal shavings and machine oil which would ruin the bottom of your shoes quite quickly. Because we occasionally had plant workers who needed to come through the office area, the company had a couple pairs of heavy felt slippers which fit over workboots so the person could walk through the offices without worry about their shoes being dirty. Taking off heavy workboots just isn't practical.
    Bookmark   June 27, 2013 at 8:25AM
747.2fra
Where I live, people generally take off shoes when entering a home. I think it probably stems from the large amount of snow so often shoes are wet or muddy. Also, the concern about outfits or pants hemmed for certain shoes is not really an issue here.

The exception to the shoe removal trend occurs in the summer. We often start entertaining inside getting drinks, etc. and then move outside for a meal or snacks. Since everyone tends to be in and out a lot during a short amount of time shoes are generally left on.

I can't imagine asking someone to take their shoes off. But I can't imagine that I would ever need to either.
3 Likes    Bookmark   June 27, 2013 at 8:28AM
emcarver
Our house was built in 1923. We remediated most of the inside lead paint, but that said, there is still lead on the outside. Through the years, no matter how well you keep up the house, the lead dust gets into the soil, which gets onto shoes, which comes in the house. So, we are a shoes off at the door family. All kids that come into my house are shoes off. While I would never ask an adult to take off their shoes, if they ask if they should, I tell them to make themselves comfortable (I usually tell them the reason we do is to combat lead poisoning issues with our children....and then they take off their shoes!)
    Bookmark   June 27, 2013 at 8:31AM
Sierra Jones
I don't know about anyone elses' but the majority of my guests, do not put their feet on my couch, so plastic covering is not a concern.
What is my concern, is the floor my 18 month old is playing on, and the surfaces that touch the toys he often puts in his mouth. I beg to argue politely that your feet are not touching the same surfaces as your shoes, as some responders have mentioned. I don't know many people that walk barefoot in a public washroom, or doctors office. And whether it be the remains of pestisides from a walk outside, or a trace of dog poop you might have unknowingly stepped in, leave it on my mat at the front door, and not on the area my baby plays.
I don't know how that qualifies as paranoid...but my primary concern is not you, and the reason you want to keep your shoes on, but my children.
I find it very interesting that people consider asking guests to remove shoes rude. I think it might have a lot to do with where people are from. I have NEVER in thirteen years had to ask even one person entering my home to remove shoes. Even at a party. I can't even imagine it, it is one of those written rules everyone just knows about.

Wait- I do have an exception....my Mom has a good friend that would sometimes visit for coffee. Her feet get very cold on ceramic floors, so she wears a pair of shoes inside for this reason. But they are new, and never worn outside:)
3 Likes    Bookmark   June 27, 2013 at 11:49AM
nolagirl222
I don't care on or off. Whatever feels comfy. My sister, however is Muslim. I think it is tradition to remove shoes when entering a Muslim household. She has very tastefully placed a sign in her foyer staying please remove your shoes. She also has baskets filled with slippers of all sizes for those who wish to have something on their feet. I feel this is tasteful and not rude and everyone is happy.
    Bookmark   June 27, 2013 at 11:56AM
hparks74
1.5 billion Chinese people remove their shoes when entering their own homes or that of others each day as it is their custom. Why should it be rude for other cultures to "favor" having a clean home?
2 Likes    Bookmark   June 27, 2013 at 11:59AM
This subject and the toilet seat up or down will always be a source of contention LOL. Off with the shoes, and down with the toilet seat please!
3 Likes    Bookmark   June 27, 2013 at 12:07PM
Cathy DiVello
I have some back issues, so I always wear shoes inside. But, I also always take off my muck boots if I've been in the mud or at the barn for my daughter's riding lesson (and she takes off her riding boots), just use common sense. If your footwear is dirty, take it off. My husband works in a hospital and when our little ones were small, he always removed his shoes when he got home. Again, common sense...
    Bookmark   June 27, 2013 at 12:13PM
Paige Brasche
I'm curious where everyone is from, because a few of you have said they have never had guests over that didn't automatically remove their shoes. I'm from Memphis, TN and have never heard of this being an issue, and no, we aren't just dumb country bumpkins in TN, haha.
3 Likes    Bookmark   June 27, 2013 at 12:35PM
Oellien Design, Inc.
I have felt as I read this thread that everyone is so influenced by where they live. Snow, ice, mudd or tons of rain would affect how people live. We live in Tulsa so our climate is different. We entertain and I would never ask the men or the women to remove their shoes, especially if everyone is pretty well dressed for a holiday party. Now, if we have an event at our pool that is whole different story as people move from outside to inside after being in the pool. But,,,wow this has been very interesting and everyone has really strong opinions about this.
    Bookmark   June 27, 2013 at 12:47PM
I live in northern Ohio, Paige, and am originally from California. In both places shoes came off before entering the house, but much more here in Ohio because of the weather. You know it must be a pervasive cultural norm in your area when all of your teenager's friends automatically take their shoes off in the foyer without being asked--even the big guys with lace up sneakers.
1 Like    Bookmark   June 27, 2013 at 12:49PM
0825sam
I'm from NY and there is definitely no overall "culture" of shoes off. Unless there is a religious or cultural reason specific to a particular household, I think it's fair to say that a shoes off rule is tailored to a particular individual's comfort related to fear of dirt or fear of germs.

Again, I am not talking about people exercising common sense and courtesy by removing shoes after a snow storm. But in my experience, people would remove their boots at the door and switch into their nice shoes.
2 Likes    Bookmark   June 27, 2013 at 12:56PM
It appears shoes off/on is a cultural or climate issue. Most people I know has the sense to remove muddy shoes or wipe their feet at the door thoroughly. When visiting someone's home if they are shoeless and I see shoes at the door, I remove mine. However, I would NEVER require guests to remove their shoes at the door. I "favor" a clean home as well so I simply clean the floors after they leave. We live in a no snow zone and most of the foot attire is tennis shoes or flip flops unless a "formal" party like New Years Eve where high heel shoes are part of the outfit.

On a side note...as a houseguest, we were once asked to use the downstairs bathroom to shower instead of the guest bathroom upstairs because it had never been used and they wanted to keep it "pristine". Absurd. I was so paranoid, so in addition to the squeegee for the shower stall downstairs I carefully wiped down every spot of water from the stall with a towel so as not offend our host. This is the same person who thoughtlessly sat on my cloth patio furniture after lathering up with suntan oil and a dip in the pool! Chairs for sitting "wet" are available. grrrrr
5 Likes    Bookmark   June 27, 2013 at 1:00PM
Belle Chaise
All children just knew to take their shoes off but adults only remove their shoes if the weather is bad.
    Bookmark   June 27, 2013 at 1:00PM
I live in Saint Louis Missouri, no one seems to take off their shoes here. Drives me crazy!! We lived 25 years in California and it seemed much more of the norm to remove shoes.
1 Like    Bookmark   June 27, 2013 at 1:01PM
PS.. Wouldn't you think it odd if in the movies you'd see people remove their shoes at the door?
2 Likes    Bookmark   June 27, 2013 at 1:03PM
Paige Brasche
Good point Darzy!
    Bookmark   June 27, 2013 at 1:21PM
studio10001
I'm East Coast,too, Paige, and was raised to remove footwear out of practical consideration of seasonal extremes and wall-to-wall carpeting in other people's homes. There was a time when stores sold shoe carriers for one's indoor pair ( your outdoor pair were likely to be boots). In the south, houseguests have always considered themselves so at home that they would remove shoes anyway, I think, and in all my residences, north and south, new guests have seemed glad to be welcomed with the offer of comfort. The custom derives from different sources for different people but, as a guest, it always derives out of respect for unknown surroundings and lifestyles. In places with less diversity, there is no perceived unknown, and my experience has been that in such areas everyone behaves in such similar fashion -one way or the other - that it wouldn't be an issue.
1 Like    Bookmark   June 27, 2013 at 1:27PM
sstarr93
Ten years of living with three dogs has done more damage to our "perfect" wide pine floors than you can imagine. It would take an army of people in hobnail boots to equal it. My floors are just "distressed"..
4 Likes    Bookmark   June 27, 2013 at 1:30PM
Sierra Jones
What point exactly did Darzy bring up? There are alot of things people do in REAL life that you would never see on tv, after all it is NOT REAL.
1 Like    Bookmark   June 27, 2013 at 1:31PM
studio10001
sstar93:Lucky you -your own "River Dancers!!"
1 Like    Bookmark   June 27, 2013 at 1:33PM
sstarr93
studio10001, that's right! ;-)
Looking back on it, it appears that I select pets for their relative ability to destroy flooring.
1 Like    Bookmark   June 27, 2013 at 1:38PM
bluenan
I wonder if the babies and kids I see sucking on the grocery carts come from "shoes off" homes. Come on, kids have to be exposed to germs or they'll never develop an immune system.
4 Likes    Bookmark   June 27, 2013 at 1:38PM
For me it is not so much a *germ thing* but a practical thing. I was born in Green Bay Wisconsin, I can recall no one ever taking off their shoes. It wasn't until I bought my first home that the light bulb when on- once I realized my hard earned money went into everything, I wanted to take care of it.
2 Likes    Bookmark   June 27, 2013 at 1:46PM
studio10001
Don't feel badly, sstarr93; I think it is their job.( I have two eight inch jags in my floor that actually make me smile, but not because a human put them there!!)
3 Likes    Bookmark   June 27, 2013 at 1:47PM
mefor
Brenda, rent a couple of those misting fans and throw the guests outside for the day, and keep the cardboard down too, just in case. People are weird and one or more is bound to be offended even if they shouldn't be. :)
    Bookmark   June 27, 2013 at 2:25PM
Amy Stanley
I live on the East Coast and we all have always removed our shoes within my family- my Dad was the only one who didn't ever abide by this rule..I am the one who sweeps, vacuums and washes my floors- I personally don't want crap dragged all over my house. It is totally a matter of preference if someone doesn't mind constant cleaning of floors then they can wear shoes in their own house but while visiting me they can bring slippers or a change of shoes so they don't track sand, snow, rain or any other mess through my house.
    Bookmark   June 27, 2013 at 4:05PM
Margaret Phillips
I have lived in New York, Connecticut, Georgia and North Carolina. I have never encountered anybody who required guests to take off their shoes (with the exception of three homes in NY) I don't know anyone who doesn't wear shoes in their house. Of course the exceptions are when it is snowing, raining, muddy or after a vigorous hike through the woods, naturally people take their shoes off then. On a side note keeping your young children in a bubble away from any possible dirt and germs harms their immune system, where they do not build a resistance to germs in general. They get much sicker and more prone to developing allergies later in life.
6 Likes    Bookmark   June 27, 2013 at 4:08PM
Barnhart Gallery
Come to think of it, the very last time I glided across my mahogany floors without shoes, my sock caught on a sharp, loose edge of a floorboard, lifted it up, and it skewered my foot. Let's just say the room needed a new coat of paint by the time the ET's arrived; think Dan Akroyd as Julia Child on SNL.
6 Likes    Bookmark   June 27, 2013 at 4:32PM
safarispotter
Our no shoes policy is because of allergies. Doctor said no shoes in the house. We offer slippers, flip flops, or socks. Don't want barefoot either. Also offer workmens booties but everyone takes the socks or flpflops.
Shoeless in our home is about our health. I am at the allergist getting shots every week. Pollen & loads of other crap sticks to shoes.
People have an issue with our policy, I don't care to have person that in my life.
Will say 95% of the time we entertain away from our home.
    Bookmark   June 27, 2013 at 8:32PM
Sierra Jones
Let me be clear with all those commenters who are offering such insightful advice. I have 5 children, so I am the last person to be explaining the benefit of germs building an immune system. Worse I have 5 boys, so I am not a stranger to dirt, mud and all kinds of germs.
That being said my last son was born at 14 weeks premmature. We are trying to maintain the immune system that he has, forget building. Some bacterial is good, and helps build the antibodies in your system, some dont. As already mentioned the nasty stuff you carry from who knows where is impossible to monitor is more that likely not good. Believe me I have more than my share of research. So if you enjoy that being tracked around your living room, and you enjoy cleaning and disinfecting after you have guests, that might be good for you.
Thank you so much for your unexpected parenting advice, but this is not about keeping kids in a bubble. This is about exposing them to unnecessary filth for your pleasure, or the pleasure and comfort of your guests. My first priority is my kids, as mentioned, and any individual that has ever walked into my home, has yet to argue they would do the same for theirs. I wonder how many kids the other commenters have, that seems so quick to jump in with their parenting opinions....
    Bookmark   June 28, 2013 at 4:26AM
mefor
Hi Sierra, I don't think any of the above posters were singling you out. I'm terribly sorry to hear about your poor child, I hope he becomes strong and thrives. Please don't feel that anyone was directing anything at you in particular. I'm sure many of those people do have children of their own and were merely commenting on all of the posts.
2 Likes    Bookmark   June 28, 2013 at 4:39AM
Amy Stanley
I have 6 children- anyone with multiple children know how messy life can get- I don't have the time or energy to have to continuously vacuum my floors- no shoes has allowed for more quality time spent with them and less trying to keep a clean house- no bubble in my home just complete reality. For the record I don't host fancy parties either- I host barbeques and holidays so no one is coming to my home in an evening gowns and 6 inch heels :)
1 Like    Bookmark   June 28, 2013 at 5:48AM
mefor
Morning sam0705, haven't seen you in a while :)
    Bookmark   June 28, 2013 at 5:56AM
Paige Brasche
I think this has taken a turn........This discussion needs to end now, and lets talk about more fun things like paint and curtains!
1 Like    Bookmark   June 28, 2013 at 5:58AM
0825sam
I know! Good morning!
3 Likes    Bookmark   June 28, 2013 at 5:58AM
mefor
Hear, hear!! See you all on the dilemmas :)
3 Likes    Bookmark   June 28, 2013 at 6:07AM
Belle Chaise
What a huge response, great question!
    Bookmark   June 28, 2013 at 9:10AM
All Sheila asked of us was to vote. I had to laugh when I reread all the responses (mine included) to see where the train went off track.

Reminded me of a cute expression my dad used: "ask her what time it is and she will tell you how to make the clock".

Brenda, save me a piece of the pound cake and two cold beers.
4 Likes    Bookmark   June 28, 2013 at 9:36AM
Vivian
New floor or carpet, my husband always insist "shoes off", after a couple of years back to "whatever".
4 Likes    Bookmark   June 28, 2013 at 9:51AM
mefor
Haha judyg, I know!!
1 Like    Bookmark   June 28, 2013 at 9:53AM
judyg...me too! I went on a rant about not being able to use a guest bath shower! BTW..the poll was do you require your GUESTS to remove their shoes and the highest poll result was they would NEVER require guests to remove their shoes or on/off whatever makes them comfortable. So, it appears most voters do NOT require guests to remove their shoes.

For those who require all who enter to remove their shoes, would you tell your boss to take their shoes off as well? Just curious.
1 Like    Bookmark   June 28, 2013 at 3:47PM
mefor
Darzy, I went off on a tangent with misting fans for Brenda's party!!! :)
1 Like    Bookmark   June 28, 2013 at 3:53PM
Keitha
How could I have missed this entire discussion? Anyway, I have enjoyed reading it with my BARE feet propped up on the coffee table...... I'll take some of that beer and pound cake please :-) !
4 Likes    Bookmark   June 28, 2013 at 4:13PM
Linda
I thought this was interesting as I often wondered about this and had thought about asking people to please take off their shoes before they entered my home due to living in Belgrade, Serbia where they do. Doing that does keep your home cleaner (and more sand free as I am on a Florida island) and leaves many "nasties" outside. And to be honest, I have been to several areas of our country in and not one had a "no shoes policy" that I was aware of; but it was common sense that when I lived in farm country.
2 Likes    Bookmark   June 28, 2013 at 4:37PM
Trading Places Canada Inc.
It has always been the norm for friends & family to remove their shoes. We now have slate floor throughout the main level and we now encourage shoes "on" ...
    Bookmark   June 29, 2013 at 5:36AM
nasmijati
I get my carpet cleaned professionally every year. This last time, I purchased disposable shoe covers. I explained to people that I had just had the carpet cleaned, and I had shoe covers for them. I assisted people to don the covers when necessary. No one minded putting disposable shoe covers over their shoes.

It is now eight months later. The only change I have needed to make is when I am gardening or have a worker who needs to come in and out of the house. Then I put down a plastic runner.
1 Like    Bookmark   August 3, 2013 at 4:30PM
Wood indoor staircase, using White Oak runners & Walnut risers
The main question is, my carpenter wants to replace...
Ronald Carbonari
guests need to take shoes off
I would like guests to take off their shoes
dianak1biking
Shoe clutter in breakfast nook - help!
Our informal, side door entrace that bears 99% of incoming...
Sue So
Displaying objects in small home
Small house...and I am a collector! By small...1400...
licksch
deniseoliphant
What counters for cream cabinets kitchen?
I am building a house and will have cream cabinets...
Ashley Massaro
Help me salvage this budget bedroom update!
So. Our master bedroom. After two year here, we finally...
Laura
Help with Exterior Paint Color
I would appreciate help choosing an exterior paint...
Kay