How do I decorate this living room space?
Shannon
I have a great floor open floor plan in my new house but I'm stuck on how to decorate my living room area. Right now, the furniture is pretty much centered underneath the tray ceiling, but that leaves an uneven amount of space to the right of the tv stand. The area where you see a bunch of drums is the space I'm talking about. (They are just temporarily there because there was room - we're still slowly unpacking.) I do plan on painting the walls behind the tv and the one that connects that has my front door a gray color. Do I need another piece of furniture there? Or if something went up on the walls, would that help?

I'd love some recommendations for decorating this space!
Shannon
Here is another pic of the space.
0 Likes   May 31, 2014 at 11:31AM
Shannon
Still looking for help :)

The photo posted in the first comment on this thread shows the area best.
0 Likes   June 2, 2014 at 7:49PM
happyleg
I would move tv across room to the right of window. Then arrange sofas.
0 Likes   June 2, 2014 at 8:18PM
Shannon
Hey Happyleg, I can't really move the tv from that wall because that is where my cable outlet is. It might be hard to tell from the pics, but my entry walkway is behind the couch so it would probably throw off the flow of traffic. Any ideas for the area to the right of the tv where it is now?
0 Likes   June 2, 2014 at 9:02PM
happyleg
Cables can be moved. You need art. There is light glare on tv.
0 Likes   June 2, 2014 at 9:11PM
Shannon
Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't think that will solve my problem. Essentially when people come in the front door they'd have to walk in front of the tv, or walk around couches. Also, the tray ceilings - which kind of define the space below - aren't centered on that side of the room. Hopefully that makes sense.

Totally agree on needing art though. I plan on painting the walls a gray first, then adding something. (I don't want to put up what art I have already because it reminds me of my old apartment; new house, new art!) So if I put two complimentary pieces up on either side of the tv...I'd have more wall space on the right than left. I feel like I'm missing a piece of furniture to go in that space (where the small table with the drums are). Bookcase? Or would that be too heavy/large?
1 Like   June 2, 2014 at 9:23PM
Shannon
Also, the tv glare will be fixed by curtains/drapes soon. :)
0 Likes   June 2, 2014 at 9:24PM
hfcncytfhyfyjt
Definitely TV what use is a book chelf on a day to day life
0 Likes   June 2, 2014 at 9:33PM
Shannon
No worries, the tv is staying! The book case thought was for the area/corner to the right of the tv.
0 Likes   June 2, 2014 at 9:38PM
Angelina Vick
Hi Shannon. I've worked with clients that addressed the same issue by making collage walls.

I'm attaching an example.

It evens out the space by creating the illusion of evenness with different pieces of work.
It can be done many ways, with your tv being such a large part of the wall, I would recommend using black frames for uniformity.

This is a link to some helpful info on my site about making collages. http://angelina-vick.artistwebsites.com/featured/photo-displays-angelina-vick.html http://angelina-vick.artistwebsites.com/featured/choosing-your-art-size-angelina-vick.html

Meanwhile, I recommend you try to tie the colors of your room together with the artwork you choose.

A few ideas to tie it together.

The squared/rectangle pieces are in this gallery: http://angelina-vick.artistwebsites.com/art/all/nonrepresentational+abstract/all
http://angelina-vick.artistwebsites.com/featured/the-hubris-of-mankind-3-angelina-vick.html
1 Like   June 2, 2014 at 10:13PM
Angelina Vick
Decorating is exciting, I recommend going slowly, buying one piece at a time and making sure you love it before you move on.

Grey walls can be gorgeous, but I suggest doing color tests, just a little too dark can make a room feel like a dark den.
0 Likes   June 2, 2014 at 10:15PM
Angelina Vick
Please let me know if you have any questions.

And if this isn't your style of art, no worries, they are just ideas. =)

Feel free to look around and see what stands out to you. http://angelina-vick.artistwebsites.com/?tab=artworkgalleries
0 Likes   June 2, 2014 at 10:21PM
chemayne
The drums nook could be dressed up as a reading corner. A comfortable armchair, a floor lamp and a little side table perhaps? Some armchair ideas to go with current wall colour and possible gray in future?
Portfolio Mira Gray and Ivory Medallion Arm Chair and Ottoman
Portfolio Mira Taupe Stripe Arm Chair and Ottoman

The sofas are positioned to view tv and for conversation. Pull both sofas in onto the rug so that the front sits 4-6" on the rug.

Add side tables and lamps to sofas for mood lighting.
0 Likes   June 3, 2014 at 4:11AM
chemayne
Your sofas are the dominating saturated colour in the space. With the introduction of another piece of furniture in the nook, you now can introduce grays, creams, taupes and add subtle hits of red to liven up the colour scheme.
And then introduce art with hints of the same colour palette on the wall opposite the tv. Some pillow ideas:
Throw Pillows
Modern Gray & Red Square Pattern Lumbar Pillow Cover 12"x20"
Gray Native Pillow Cover
Graziella Floral Pillow Dove Gray
1 Like   June 3, 2014 at 4:21AM
Angelina Vick
What do you think of the ideas Shannon?
0 Likes   June 3, 2014 at 10:18PM
Shannon
Angelina Vick - All great ideas and artwork, thank you! I especially like link to the photo display ideas. Am I correctly assuming that I could almost split one of those arrangements on either side of the television?
1 Like   June 5, 2014 at 9:50AM
Shannon
Chemayne - thanks for your suggestions, I really like the idea of making that a little reading nook. I have an armless chair in another room, but it's upholstered in a floral fabric that I don't think I would want to introduce to the room. I definitely think I'd keep that piece of furniture more neutral, and add pops of color with accessories, like you mention.

The sofa and loveseat are actually each about 4-5 inches on the carpet already, but it's really hard to tell in the pictures I've posted. Maybe when I have a chair in that corner, it would be worth pulling them onto the carpet more so make the room a little more cozy and pulled together? Any recommendations on the style of side table for the nook?
1 Like   June 5, 2014 at 9:59AM
Angelina Vick
You're welcome!

Yes...you are correct. Arrangements can be split. The TV collage is more about surrounding the tv....to make it blend in.
2 Likes   June 5, 2014 at 11:56PM
Affreschi & Affreschi
http://www.infoaffreschi.com/en look at this for walls...if you do not want mere paint...:)
0 Likes   June 6, 2014 at 6:59AM
It seems such a waste of valuable wall space to have only a TV and stand there. I see the TV is almost too big for the stand, so I'd replace that with a long credenza that will help fill the void. Build in one that runs the entire length of the wall and make all of that area your focal point. Here are some ways its been done.
Penthouse in Belgrade NJ Residential Wright Street Design Group Inc.
Upper Living Room 1
2 Likes   June 6, 2014 at 7:27AM
How do I decorate a long narrow room living room
There is only one window at one end of the room. It...
Living room is long! How do I decorate a room this shape?
I have a house that's 104 years old. Its been converted...
how do i decorate my living room around this sofa
ruby red sofa with gold. i have red carpet and am stuck...
Paint colors for a Kansas City Shirtwaist
Hello, My 1902 Kansas City Shirtwaist (a local variation...
Small small ...best way to fill it
This wall is a small width (5'2") and needs decorating. I...
Backsplash ideas
We have chosen Cambria Quartz "Bradshaw" for our countertops....
Need help choosing new garage door, front door and stone
Hi! We are wanting to put up a new garage door and...
Stripping test patch of paint off of unfinished pine
I tried a light color in one of the rooms in a new...