Color advice needed
jcr10
We have recently purchased this house and want to replace the cedar siding (insect issues and tremendous upkeep expense). We are looking at the cement fiber board, but I need some advice on color. The roof is new so we will have to choose a color that matches it. I would also like to keep the sandstone color around the windows and it is the color of the garage doors. I would also like to have black accents. What color of paint should we use on the main body?
jcr10
Here are some additional pics of the house.
June 1, 2014 at 9:58AM   
jcr10
Where are my Houzzer experts? :)
June 3, 2014 at 5:27AM     
As your roof seems to be a grey, and the details you wish to retain are sand and stone, go for a mid-tone grey/greige to marry the two.
Exteriors
Entrance Patio
June 3, 2014 at 5:55AM     
jcr10
The shingles are shades of grey, tan, brown and black. It's hard to tell in this pic. I am thinking about using Sherwin Williams Java on the main body and a sand color for the trim with black shutters. Thoughts?
June 5, 2014 at 5:21PM   
Timberlane Inc.
Hi jcr10, per your statement above, we are not sure that the black shutters will go so well with the brown facade. We like the idea of having a sand or khaki color for the shutters, as they will make a bigger statement against the Java color.

For the shutter style, we recommend a Board and Batten style or our VGV Panel style (which is similar to the Board and Batten). Please note that shutters should be proportional to your windows and should measure out to half the size the window they are covering. I attached examples of both styles for your reference.

Feel free to use our Shutter Snapshot visual to get a better idea of what our shutters would look like on your exterior. We recommend our Khaki Stone for the shutter color. http://www.timberlane.com/resource-center/shutter-snapshot/#.U5HnyHJdU-c
June 6, 2014 at 9:10AM     
katewright
I like ASVinteriors suggestion. I would paint the whole house the color that your garage door appears to be then paint the garage door, railings and trim a pretty off-white.
June 6, 2014 at 10:20AM     
jcr10
I thought about doing what you are suggesting ASVinteriors and katewright, but there are a number of houses close to us that have the same color scheme. I really want something a little different, but I want it too look good too!

Timberlane, Inc. - I have gone back and forth between black and sand for the shutters. The java paint color we are looking at is very similar to the stain on the house now. The sand looks great with it, but we have black fences around the house and on a barn, so I was trying to blend it all. It might not be the best idea. Thanks for the link.
June 6, 2014 at 5:17PM     
Need suggestions for the front entrance
I would like to paint my front door. Need some advice...
What will make this trim appear less orange?
We have a lot of this stained trim through our house...
Fence ideas for shaded side yard
I'm a newbie looking to landscape my side yard 10x3.6m...
Suggestions for support post in new stair design
We are updating our staircase with dark wood newel...
Mega problem!
Need advice on art for my fireplace wall. It is a...