Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hellen54

Free standing tub

hellen54
9 years ago
Where do you put shampp etc. with free standing tub? Don't want a side table...
There is a window above the tub...should i use the window sill? Yuck? Bathtub caddy from side to side of the tub? Inset a shelf at the end of the tub means access would be difficult...lots of turning...not sure what to do..

Comments (42)

• stryker
    9 years ago
    I have a side to side tub caddy and like it.
    hellen54 thanked stryker
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    9 years ago
    Is the tub already in or are you considering one?
  • hellen54
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Got my eye on one. It will go between a wall and a glass shower stall.
  • PRO
    Dytecture
    9 years ago
    In a linen closet if you don't want them to be visible and don't want any side table/storage.
  • hatetoshop
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    Bathtub caddy is probably best option for convenience. Are you going to use the tub, as opposed to the shower, for shampooing, etc on a regular basis? If not, then tuck away a basket of your toiletries, and bring it out when you do use the tub.
  • hellen54
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    That's what I'm afraid of but the drop in tub looks dated...any ideas?
  • hellen54
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    It's a new build...
  • printesa
    9 years ago
    I like the free standing tub. The drop in tub can be elegant, too if done right. Do you have space in the wall for a niche where you can have some shampoos? Here are two ideas...one free standing and one built-in.
    Bowman Residence Bath · More Info

Candice Olson Bathroom 2 · More Info
  • PRO
    Shades Shutters Blinds
    9 years ago
    Why not a basket that hangs off the window sill?
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    9 years ago
    If you like the look of a free-standing tub, I do think it looks nice when it is actually"free-standing". Still not practical, but I see the beauty of it.

Look at Bowman Residence above. Free standing tub that is shoved up against a wall. Who is going to clean behind there? Plus, just doesn't seem to "fit" in the space.

Candice Olsen: clean lines, practical.

When you think of design, think function. Form will follow. When you think of modern, think of clean lines, practical. Now think of free-standing tub: clunky basket to place shampoo, etc, in, no place to put towels, unless you add another clunky table next to tub.

Just my opinion: free-standing tubs will be out in a couple of years.

4 photos of modern, yet timeless.

[houzz= https://www.houzz.com/photos/2011-showcase-of-homes-traditional-bathroom-boston-phvw-vp~2549720[houzz=[houzz=
    From Mid Century to Contemporary Master Bathroom · More Info
    [houzz=
    Beaches Rebuild · More Info
    ]
  • User
    9 years ago
    I agree that a free standing tub is not the most practical and a deck mounted tub can be very elegant. If you can find a way to inset shelves into the wall for storage it would help, or find room for a table next to the tub.

Marble & Walnut · More Info
    Forest Hill home · More Info
    Bathroom Remodels · More Info
  • hellen54
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    No room for a table...but thanks for your input.
  • hellen54
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Getting lots of input. Thanks so much!
  • hatetoshop
    9 years ago
    I like my free standing tub -- gives a sense of space that I find drop ins don't provide. But I don't take many baths, so practicality isn't a factor.
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    9 years ago
    You are welcome. Here is how to approach it:

Do I even need a tub?
    If so, what would I like? (jacuzzi, soaking, towels and accessory items handy).

Then, go from there. Form follows function. No trends unless they seem practical to you.

Also, there are some really awesome tubs out there. Just saw a jacuzzi at a showroom with no jets. It is connected to surround sound and creates "waves" in the water in vibe to the music. Rock, classic, you name it, it does it.
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    9 years ago
    hatetoshop, what do you mean by "sense of space"?
  • hatetoshop
    9 years ago
    Interesting question, CDR Design. I suppose it's because the open area around the tub gives an illusion of spaciousness.
    hellen54 thanked hatetoshop
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    9 years ago
    I think that is true in this case (left photo) big open space with plenty of room around it.

When shoved up against the wall, it doesn't look good, IMO.

photo right is a compromise that looks good, if you really like the free-standing idea.

Third photo also has place for "things" but looks like a flying saucer

[houzz=
    Eldorado Stone · More Info
    ]
    [houzz=
    Andrea Braund · More Info
    [houzz=
    bathroom · More Info
    ]
  • hellen54
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I saw the right side photo too but thought I'd be turning around all the time to reach for shampoo, soap etc. but if the ledge came over a bit more it might be more accessible.
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    9 years ago
    fly saucer: ledge on all sides!! LOL

What is the space you have in which to place the tub?

Also.......and there are downside to this also, but have you consider the tub within a shower?
    Hope you like to wipe down glass.
    [houzz=
    Martis Camp lot 379 · More Info
    ]
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    9 years ago
    A couple of ideas. All the ones that have niches for towels close by are up against the wall, which, to me takes away the "freestanding" concept.

[houzz=
    master bath · More Info
    [houzz=
    Hamptons House · More Info
    ]
  • Robi J
    9 years ago
    CDR is right it’s not practical. My tub length is 72” but since it’s a slipper tub my inside is relatively smaller. I have the tub caddy but don’t like it so I keep it hid most of the time. Luckily, there is enough space between the back wall and tub that I put a wooden planter there. It’s high enough but short enough that it's hidden and I don't have to stretch to get what I need.
    My cons are:
    My drain is in the middle of the tub – make sure you think of this placement. If I hit the drain it pops up and there goes the water.
    No wash cloth hanger.
    My faucet alone was over $800.00. I researched the tubs and purchased before I looked at the faucets. Who would have thought it would be so expensive.
    I’m 5’3” and due to slipper style of tub I cannot stretch my legs without them being out of the water.

Pros:
    It’s beautiful. I love the look. It’s a great puppy bathtub and the faucet is perfect for that!
    I have other bathtubs to use.
    hellen54 thanked Robi J
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    9 years ago
    Robi, it is good to hear from someone who actually has one!
    hellen54 thanked CDR Design, LLC
  • hellen54
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Our tub will just fit in beside a glass shower stall. Not much extra room at either end...a few inches. Is this a problem?
  • printesa
    9 years ago
    I don't know if the space between the tub and glass is a problem. My only concern would be, like CDR mentioned, the cleaning of the tight spaces. You will have space around the tub that will collect dust. Can you easily get around the tub to clean it? That would be my first thought. I love the look of the free standing tub, but you need to look at it from the practical point of view as well.
    hellen54 thanked printesa
  • kennebunk12
    9 years ago
    what about installing a shelf above the tub to put shampoo and bathing things. Then when you go to take a bath you can take it down and place it on the windowsill to use it. I personally I love free standing tubs and have one in my kids bathroom. It totally worth it (at least it is for us).
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    9 years ago
    As printesa said, as long as you have someone who is going to crawl back there and clean.
    hellen54 thanked CDR Design, LLC
  • hellen54
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    The glass shower stall is seperate from the free standing tub...it's beside it..
  • hellen54
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I think that may be our best bet! Thanks.
  • Robi J
    9 years ago
    I have enough space in the corners to put a tall round barstool. This allows me to clean the window and dust mop trim. I don't have a cleaning behind and around. My dust mop and shark squeeze in. Like you, I posted on Houzz and had some GREAT advice and hope to get busy completing it soon. I had candlesticks on my windowsill and everyone said to take off and leave empty.
  • hellen54
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I agree. Stuff on the window sill looks messy, cluttered. Thanks!
  • momdotcom41
    9 years ago
    CDR Design, free standing tubs are not a fad... They have been around forever... What about great grandmas claw foot tub?
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    9 years ago
    momdotcom41. That is correct. Free-standing tubs are really just a version of the old claw-foot tubs. I say they are a trend, because they have come in style in the last few years. Trends tend to come and go. No one has a glass ball to say whether they will stay. My prediction is they won't.

There is nothing wrong with buying something that is "trendy", as long as you like it, it works for you and if you are willing to keep it or have the money to buy a new one if it goes out of style.

If you love a free-standing tub and it works for you, I say buy one.
  • PRO
    ASVInteriors
    9 years ago
    I'm with CDR design on this matter. The only way I would do a freestanding tub is either at a diagonal in a corner or in the middle of a room. They are statement pieces... but not that practical.
  • sarainitaly
    9 years ago
    free standing tubs are so pretty to look at, but I decided against it. As was stated above, no where to put your products and cleaning would be a nightmare. Also, sometimes I like to sit on the edge and wash my feet, or shave my legs, or just soak my feet, and don't see that as a possibility with a free standing tub.

Unless you have a 360 degree access to the floor, how do you get around it to clean the floor? I opted for a Villeroy & Boch tub and am doing a Carrara marble looking Marazzi tile around it, and think it will be quite elegant looking. I hope. :O)
    hellen54 thanked sarainitaly
  • Genie Barber
    9 years ago
    We just finished our bathroom remodel and we love our tub!! We put a granite shelf behind the tub and it works well.
    hellen54 thanked Genie Barber
  • hellen54
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Looks great! We spent a fortune on a floor tap, maybe this would work for us! Is your tap installed on the granite shelf?
  • jewiles1287
    9 years ago
    I'm only 5'3" and need a shallow (16-18") standalone. Is there one available? I've checked several websites without any luck.
  • spring570
    9 years ago
    In our reno put in a 5' stand alone tub. Rectangular design with wide edges to hold shampoo and soap dish. Love it and use it more than the shower.
  • shirisaltzman
    9 years ago
    The only shallow stand also tubs I know of are by Victoria and Albert
  • Tammy Lawhorn
    9 years ago
    Helen I would just make sure that if you put in a free standing that you are able to clean the floor all the way around it. If it's in too tight of a space it will be a cleaning nightmare
    The side to side caddy works well
    And they have them that you can also add a mirror or wine glass holder to. also we have one now and we have a caddy that's hangs over the side and we like it