Need help with living room layout & colors!
Molly Rohde
Hi, I just recently moved from an apartment into a house (and got a golden retriever puppy named Sawyer) and need some help with the living room space!

Here are my ideas, let me know what you think and if you have other suggestions! :)

-move tv back into corner between windows
-get love seat or comfy chairs to add more seating.... Place where tv currently is...? (Not sure on this one at all)

-possibly get a new rug, but I do have a new puppy so I don't want to spend a ton

-paint the walls.....maybe that cream/besiege color w white trim, just new coat of paint? Any color suggestions welcome!

-paint coffee table white on legs/ beige or tan on top? Or turn it into an ottoman?

-get another end table (have matching lamp)... finish unpacking ;)

Please help and share ideas!! Thank you!!
Post Frame Accessories
Sounds like a nice upgrade for you, congrats! If you have more space for seating that is always a plus, especially if you are planning on having people over more frequently now that you are not in an apartment. The same goes for a second end table.

I could not really see a coffee table in the photos so I don't know how your plans with that would turn out. Painting is a great way to freshen up a space and make it feel more like your own.

As for the tv, in my experience having it in the corner by two windows like you are saying makes it very difficult to watch when the sun is coming in like it is in the photos. One way you could create more floor space is to mount the tv on the wall. Without seeing a floor plan I can't exactly suggest where the best spot is based on entrances to other rooms etc. However, I attached some photos of a nice way to hang the tv and incorporate it into other features of the room.

In the photos, the sliding doors that cover the tv blend with the rest of the room making the TV feel like a natural aspect. Since you don't want to spend a lot right now, (our sliding door hardware is averages about $450) you could mount the tv and add the sliding door aspect later.

Usually the best way to do it is have a narrower shelf or dresser below the tv to store the cable box etc. (like in the first photo) but those could be hung on the wall or put on a nearby shelf as well.
June 2, 2014 at 8:24AM   
blrussell
I see nothing wrong with tv in the corner...it does help to hide wires and cords...however, your television looks fairly large and placing in the corner might take up quite a lot of floor space
June 2, 2014 at 8:45AM   
Ashley Malowaniuk
I wouldn't block out my windows with a tv. Natural light is such a wonderful thing... And I'm sure your puppy loves to sit in the sun.

I would agree that I cannot see the size of the room, so it's hard to suggest placement. Perhaps if you could take more photos from further back?
June 2, 2014 at 11:13AM   
Molly Rohde
Here is a better overall picture of the room, including the coffee table!
June 2, 2014 at 11:15AM   
MarleneM
Hi Molly, congrats on the move and the new puppy!
Would it work if you could switch TV and sofa? Just having a hard time to see how much wall space is beside window. And I think a comfy chair and ottoman placed kitty corner between the windows would look good.
A couple more observations. Your art is too high. Art over sofa should be 6" above back of sofa. And you could use a longer media stand as it is smaller than TV. The tall lamp beside is actually a buffet lamp, to be used on a buffet in DR. Use the lamp beside the coat rack.
There seem to be some colours in the map art you could use as colour inspiration, or if you do get a new rug, indoor/outdoor would be a good option w/ new pup, then use colours from that to build colour scheme. I guess that's more than a couple...
June 2, 2014 at 11:22PM   
Love the pup and congrats on the space. With the navy and white curtains, rug, accents and the gray (green undertone) I see how the blond wood floors likely inspired the pale yellow walls. Unless you want to embrace the yellow, and add some to art and accents in a stronger brighter shade, I think I would paint the walls a pale denim tone. Like bm wales gray or pale smoke . . .that is going to bump up the contrast factor. Add white framed elements, paint some craigslist end tables bm hale navy (or a sideboard to give you some closed storage under the tv. I echo the call for an armchair in the window corner . . maybe a slipcovered ikea ektorp chair (they had navy velvet last year - but you might prefer a washable linen from bemz). Coffee table to ottoman - pick out a gray and navy graphic print.
June 2, 2014 at 11:32PM   
Need help with living room layout and layering in color
I need help arranging my furniture. My living room...
I need help with my living room color and layout!
Im having trouble finding a good color to go with my...
Living room color and layout help needed!
We have a fairly large living room that I cannot figure...
Need help for my living room layout, paint color please!
Moved into bfs place and will get new modern furniture...
How can I make this commercial sink look great?
I'm trying to figure out my options to give it a fashionable,...
Help with curb appeal
Just bought new home a few months ago. I dug out some...
Exposed ceiling in dining room? Yay or nay ..
We are fixing up our 175 year old farm house and we...
Sarona carpets?
Looking to recarpet in lounge, dining rooms and bedrooms....