I really don't know what i can do to this room .Can i make it look better with your help? ...
sanyusa
WE just got this house and while i was traveling my husband decided do hire a crew to paint the house and that is what it is :( I know i should be happy but i really don't like the color .
I would love to have some ideas for this space ... any comment is welcome ! ...
** I have a 2 years old boy **
sanyusa
i am not in love with this space ... and everything in it is new ... i need something ,SOmething and what would the "something" be !!!?? That is the real problem
0 Likes   March 17, 2012 at 9:39AM
sanyusa
should i take something out ?
0 Likes   March 17, 2012 at 9:48AM
bepsf
It doesn't need less - it needs more.

A large square coffee table
End tables
Table lamps
Another chair - preferably in fabric
Footstools - again, in fabric
Draperies at the sliding doors to match the others around the room.
Decorative objects - such as pottery, books, etc.

Also - pull your sofa out it the corner and center it along the back wall - that will give you space to place a long sofa table behind it where you can have another table lamp, etc.
0 Likes   March 17, 2012 at 10:57AM
Gorgeous Homes, Inc
I have to agree with Bespf, I would keep in mind the 2 year old child, bumping into things when he is playing, the drapes need to be hung better, if it was up to me, I would do new drapes, there is not enough contrast in the room, I would replace the TV stand to something bigger and more appropriate, when placing the furniture, keep in mind the TV, so that chairs are not blocking the view from the TV.
0 Likes   March 17, 2012 at 12:16PM
sanyusa
:) thanks bepsf and my friend Gorgeous home ... i am a little lost but that is ok ... i need a square coffee table ... why not rectangular ? no?? what color ,dark wood ?
end lamps YEAH i need *
I will put the sofa out in the corner and center it along the back wall .

... you think i should buy more draperies ,ok! but i will have all around the room with draperies,is that ok ?
Gorgeus home thinks it should be hung better but i do not know how to do because i have a lot of them ... the furniture stand is so not appropriate,i am using until i find the right furniture.... any idea?
i will make sure that the chair won't block the view :) so happy for this push ...

let's see if i find nice table and tv stand ...

DO I need another pillow ?

THANK YOU THANK YOU :)
0 Likes   March 17, 2012 at 4:08PM
Gorgeous Homes, Inc
Well, the square table would be more functional and I would do it in a dark color, I was not suggesting buying more drapery panels, I was suggesting changing the ones you have, I dont know what it is, perhaps the hardware is not installed properly, therefore the panels looks somewhat unfinished. Let me ask you, are the panels the same width? or some are thicker than others? If so, I would make them all the same and make sure the width matches on top specially (when installed ). Is the TV too far away from the couch? if so, pull the couch/rug away from the walls, if you change the color of the drapes, that could be the best thing you could do to this room in my opinion, because you have several panels that can add color and warmth to the space, the end tables, I would do them a bit different from the coffee table with perhaps two glass and a white shade lamps to add a touch of sophistication to the room..
1 Like   March 17, 2012 at 5:54PM
Pinkus Interiors
I agree with Gorgeous Homes' suggestions. Here are a few more. I have a question about the windows. What is the view? Are the draperies for privacy? If not, take them down and enjoy the view. Maybe turn the sectional around to square with the windows (facing the windows so the back of sofa is facing the opening to other room and the other side of sofa back is to the sliding door) and put the TV on a low console along the window (not in the corner). Under the other adjacent window you could put another low console for children's toys or books or movies etc.
Sofa table behind the back of sofa backing onto open area for display of accessories, etc. Sofa table/storage unit (check out Ikea), could also be a storage unit with cubicles for baskets or shelves behind glass doors. Be sure it is not higher than sofa.This unit can have open shelves and some behind doors for the children factor. Square coffee table...yes. May only need one end table if you move the sectional around and use a sofa table.
By turning the sectional around it will define the space and you will have more space for TV and closer for viewing. Use the rug to help define the area and sectional front legs should be on the rug edge. Make the rug and sectional centre in room.
If you need shade/protection from sun or glare for the windows then put shades like Hunter Douglas Duettes or Silhouettes. These can be adjusted for need and won't bulk up the windows. I agree there is too much fabric and seems sloppy.
The ceiling is great, why not play on that height by painting it a lighter shade, same tone as the walls. Need more substantial light fixture. Can't quite make out what is there. Leave the rafters soft white. Go for warmer colour on the walls.
Hope this helps.
0 Likes   March 17, 2012 at 7:14PM
Mariska
In addition to all of the above recommendations I miss personal touches it does not feel welcoming rather cold than cozy. I like the colour of your room but not the colour and material of the sofa. If possible I would replace (sell) the sectional sofa for a fabric one, maybe a stripped one or one with a Kelim fabric (colourful). Also would trade in curtains for roman blinds. Then a carpenter could built shelves underneath the windows for books, toys and decorations. One or two (same) big plants in a large pot or basket would bring more live into this room. Pillows on sofa are too small and colour should be brighter. Would have a few big pillows on the floor..great for the 2 year old to cuddle in. No big coffee table in the middle does not look right on this kind of carpet. 2 or 3 small side tables. Would you have another room for tv watching?
1 Like   March 17, 2012 at 9:24PM
Manon Floreat
You have a nice room with nice furnishings. I agree about the window coverings - they're a little off. They don't look like they are all the same width. See if you can play with them to give them more uniformity. Maybe even gather them in the corners and/or ends. I think the color sets off the chair nicely.

I'd play with the idea of the moving the sectional so the back faces the French doors with the TV across from it towards the corner ( I think there's a vacuum cleaner there in the photo?). A sofa table behind it with a lamp, photos and maybe some candles would look nice. You could put the ottoman out in front of the right part of the sectional and add an oval or round coffee table. It will be much more forgiving if the little one falls. The chair could go at an angle to the short side of the sectional. Regardless of sectional placement, I'd definitely add some pouffs or floor cushions -you're 2 yr old would love'em - in a pattern of the yellow, blue and ivory accent scheme you have going on. The great thing about rearranging furniture is that you get a "new" look for free and you can always put it back if you don't like it.

A floor cushion like this might work well. I saw it on Etsy. I hope you post pictures of what you decide to do. Have fun!
1 Like   March 17, 2012 at 9:26PM
elenm
OK, quick question - why all the windows? Is there an amazing view out there that needs to be opened up? Why do you need window coverings at all? Should the view become the focal point of this room and not the flat screen?
1 Like   March 17, 2012 at 10:18PM
Urban Safari Design Inc.
I agree with bespf and Gorgeous Homes. This room needs a few more furniture pieces, color and texture. The floor rug is doing nothing for the space and the throw pillows lack a sense of direction for the room. Do go with a square coffee table in a wood color (possibly something soft or ottoman-like for your 2-year old), brighten up the area rug with some textured/patterned color and bring some of that same rug color up to the throw pillows and blanket throw. Your windows would be best served by drapes and textured shades (not of the same color). Also punch up the color of the walls in your room for a little more dramatic effect and yes, bring that great chair out and on an angle to add some interest! A narrow side table, lamps, sofa table (behind couch) and bringing the couch away from the wall will go a long way to add depth to the space as well. Good luck! You've got some great ideas here. Just don't be afraid to go for it!
0 Likes   March 18, 2012 at 3:59AM
mrsadamsmith
Dear one, there is no YOU there. Do you have a hobby? Have you traveled? Where did you go to school? What color makes you happy? When I go into a room, I want to see some of the hostess there. This room looks like your husband's temporary office reception room. Since you share the house, that is OK, but add YOU. Add the baby in the form of a baby picture or two somewhere, a wedding picture. This is part of your home, your secure place, your castle, your nest. Let your inter self out and you will come to love it. A red accent somewhere always helps me., Also something either very different or outrageous. Let us know what you did. mrsadamsmith
1 Like   March 18, 2012 at 5:12AM
homes55
ur curtains are fine.remove the yellow /orangish chair.also the same .""""I'd definitely add some pouffs or floor cushions -you're 2 yr old would love'em.""" it will bring color. at the ends of sofa, a wicker basket with lids will keep the kids toys handy and room clean. Change the tv trolley to something big. Get some colorful throws for the sofa and better square cushions. u should have 1 end table.Do this basic stuff and and a big change u will see. Give ur 2 yr old space to move around it will be more fun for him. Remove the 2 pots under TV.
1 Like   March 18, 2012 at 6:09AM
ej610
I think there is too much fabric on the walls. I would replace the sheers with woven wood blinds. You could keep the curtain panels, but I would suggest taking them down too because the pattern is a little bit country, while your furnishings are contemporary.
2 Likes   March 18, 2012 at 6:25AM
EMM
Would love to see the after pics with the sectional moved - I agree - do that and put bookshelves under the window for books and games. How about the TV in there too, if you can? Moving sectional takes focal point away from it and puts it onto the window and roof line (which is gorgeous) and should be highlighted. I'd draw the eye up with a ceiling fan in natural rattan/etc. materials. Put an upholstered comfy arm chair on the side where the TV is today - have it compliment the ottoman which I'd put in front of it. Orange chair in other corner (can you recover it - 2 colours of leather in one room not my favourite). Not loving the curtains - they feel old fashioned to me. You need more contrast in colour and larger print/less busy design - both of which will compliment the sectional more. As well, I'd get a rug and pillows in colours of wall, couch and complimentary others to pull it all together. Square coffee table for sure - and end tables with casual lamps on top - the bases of which compliment any window hardware and ceiling fans. What a beautiful room!
1 Like   March 18, 2012 at 7:51AM
sanyusa
WOW so many nice ideas ! :O I didn't buy a coffee table because of my 2 years old needs space in the fluff rug ( safe for the baby not to get hurt ,he jumps all over and can get hurt ) **by the way i don't like the rug ! I used to live on an modern big apartment and move to a somewhat country home :O I am gonna have a Aga cooker,so it is country,right? hehehe !! I like the curtain but i do think it is overwhelming and there is a temporary REASON for that ... THE WINDOWS are in very bad shape and could not be looking at the BAD window ,even-though the view is nice ! but the ugly glass block my view and i will only have money for all the back windows next spring :( *** doing a kitchen ,2 full bathrooms and fire place now and the money is short ...

ej610 -
Yeah!! there is too much fabric on the walls. I don't like that but i have to live with for a few more months ... I loved the pictures you posted! thanks I am going in the direction as soon as i get new windows . THANKSSS

Can't i mix modern + country = ??
0 Likes   March 18, 2012 at 8:19AM
sanyusa
homes55

X I'll add some pouffs or floor cushions -yeahhh Jacob would love 'em.
Do you have a color suggestion ?
X Getting the toys organized is A+ ! :)
Changing the tv stand to something big. *** i am not sure what that will be ***
X Colorful throws
X Square cushions
X 1 end table.
X Removed the 2 pots under TV. lol

:) happy face
ThANks
0 Likes   March 18, 2012 at 8:28AM
sanyusa
Urban Safari Design Inc.
X - Few more furniture pieces, color and texture.
X -The throw pillows lack a sense of direction for the room. I THINK SO 2 !
X- Square ottoman would work
X- Brighten up the area rug with some textured/patterned color and bring some of that same rug color up to the throw pillows and blanket throw.
X-Your windows would be best served by drapes and textured shades ** next spring project
X -I WILL Also punch up the color of the walls in your room for a little more dramatic effect
X-Bring that great chair out and on an angle to add some interest!
X-A narrow side table, lamps, sofa table (behind couch)
X- Bringing the couch away from the wall will go a long way to add depth to the space as well.

definitely got some great ideas here.
Thanks :))))
0 Likes   March 18, 2012 at 8:48AM
sanyusa
mrsadamsmith

huauahauhahauhuha there is no ME there.
I hear you !
-Do you have a hobby?
I am a 24/7 mommy now ,but i like surfing ,sunbathing lol ,bodybord ,Zumba, Salsa and Yoga .
Have you traveled? Yeah Copacabana Beach where i am from ,Miami,Orlando,Copacabana,Miami,Copacabana,Miami !! I love summer :)

What color makes you happy?
Gold,silver,cream,red and brown

This room looks like your husband's temporary office reception room was GREAT

hueuehehuheuheuhehuehehuehuheuheuhuheuhuehuehuehuhe
ahuhauhauhauhauha aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa hauhauhauhuahuahuahuha OMG !! FUNNY~

X - Add the baby in the form of a baby picture or two somewhere
X- A red accent somewhere always helps me 2 !

Love u !
thanks
0 Likes   March 18, 2012 at 8:51AM
sanyusa
Hi Elenm
why all the windows?
I just got this house and it needs a lot of love and care ! 2 many ugly windows that will be replaced for nicer ones ,less windows for sure !
Is there an amazing view out there that needs to be opened up?
DECK and a lot of green !
Why do you need window coverings at all?
OLD / UGLY Windows and i will only have money for that project next spring ... :'(

X - Should the view become the focal point of this room and not the flat screen

Very good point ! Thanks for your time friend!
0 Likes   March 18, 2012 at 8:58AM
sanyusa
Manon Floreat

X- I agree about the window coverings - they're a little off. They don't look like they are all the same width. See if you can play with them to give them more uniformity. Maybe even gather them in the corners and/or ends. I think the color sets off the chair nicely.

X- I'd play with the idea of the moving the sectional so the back faces the French doors with the TV across from it towards the corner
I think there's a vacuum cleaner there in the photo.... NO ! let me double check!

X -A sofa table behind it with a lamp, photos and maybe some candles would look nice
OHH YEAH

X- The chair could go at an angle to the short side of the sectional.
GOT YOU
X- Regardless of sectional placement - got you
X- I'd definitely add some pouffs or floor cushions
I love the picture you posted !!! Thankssss
I will play with the furniture and will have fun doing it ! Love IT !

I will post pic honey and thank YOU so very much !!!!
XOXO
0 Likes   March 18, 2012 at 9:07AM
sanyusa
Hi Mariska
X-I will be adding personal touches :)

** about the material of the sofa
I got this sectional in leather because i need to clean it every single day,since i have a 2 years old very active and dark because i had a light one that last me only 2 years ... Replacing it would be huge for me becuse it was pretty expensive and i have for a year or 2 .... don't have 4/5 k for this change . BUt i have good news hehehe This is Jacob's room for watching tv / playing,and on my formal living room i will put a fabric one ! :)))) I see your point of view ! :)
X- Roman blinds is a great option for sure!

XXXXXX - built shelves underneath the windows for books, toys and decorations.
Love the idea!

X - One big plants in a large pot or basket would bring more live into this room.
XXXXX- Pillows on sofa are too small and colour should be brighter.

Would you have another room for tv watching? i do but it is downstairs and i could not keep my eyes on the 2 years old while cooking and the Tv helps at the time of cooking.

Thank you so much for your time !

I will do a very good jog with so many great ideas from you guys!
XOXO
1 Like   March 18, 2012 at 9:22AM
betsyweisberg
Here is my take on this room...... The windows are the best part of the room and they are all covered up! Take all the drapery down and put in white fabric shade on each window. Shades are much easier with a young family , nothing in reach to pull down.
I suggest,
Pull sofa away from wall and switch the placement as suggested in other posts.
Remove current rug. Get a Jonathan Adler type rug with open pattern in color.
3fun bright pillows to pull all colors together.
Get round fabric covered ottoman as coffee table, make sure it has storage inside for toys.
Add end tables that have doors for storage.
Consider tv placement, is there a better place for it, it seems very awkward now.
Good luck!
1 Like   March 18, 2012 at 9:34AM
Manon Floreat
Take a look at http://www.etsy.com/shop/aletafae?ref=seller_info for pouffs. There is an assortment of colors, patterns and styles.

The seagrass pouffs would add some texture: You can find them at West Elm, Ikea, Urban Outfitters and Pier 1. Also on Etsy are the colorful floor pouffs below (http://www.etsy.com/listing/91357431/floor-cushion-crochet?ref=pr_shop)

See below for some visuals.
1 Like   March 18, 2012 at 11:45AM
sanyusa
seagrass pouffs ! A+ !!!!! thanks thanks ! I am going to pier 1 now to see if i can find !
:) OMG !
0 Likes   March 18, 2012 at 2:18PM
Manon Floreat
I love your enthusiasm, Sanyusa!
0 Likes   March 18, 2012 at 2:46PM
Ruth Tekell
Wow the pouffs are great. I thought I saw an ottoman tucked way over to the left of the sofa in the photo. You might pull that out and use it as a coffee table-- soft for babies. You can put colorful trays on it and pouffs around it for floor seating.

Most of all, in my humble opinion, the windows are a great opportunity. My favorite coverings are white or natural roman shades that don't look roman, but rather look sort of eastern: that is they have horizontal lines running through them about 8 to 10 inches apart lending sort of an asian feel. Definitely modern/eclectic. See Hunter Douglas: http://www.hunterdouglas.com/photo-gallery.jsp?so=tn#/GalleryStyle/4/Eclectic/

As for the wall colors, I didn't see a lot of wall, but what I did see looked light and neutral, which I think is good since the black sofa is pretty massive. You don't want too much more mass, and bright or dark colors on walls can become massive. If you had a light colored sofa, it would be different, but I am assuming you are sticking with the black. It looks like quite an investment.

I am a big believer in less is more and big splashes of fun, exciting colors on neutral backgrounds. This allows you to changes things up quite often without having to repaint or spend loads of money. And with a growing baby, that's probably a consideration, both financially and for baby's growth and development. Colors and interest in a room, as well as periodic changes are very helpful.

I agree with lots of the other comments, except the "keep the curtains." Just not a fan of curtains. However if you are very attached to them, you could always try replacing the sheers with shades since curtains and shades do work well together.

Most of all, have fun in this room. It's a wonderful room!
0 Likes   March 18, 2012 at 5:17PM
Ruth Tekell
Oh, yes! I almost forgot. I don't know if anyone else said this already, but I have seen the ceiling beams painted in both colors and black in some room and it can really work well and add interest.
0 Likes   March 18, 2012 at 5:19PM
Manon Floreat
Hhhmmm . . . I overlooked the ceiling beams altogether. Good point!
0 Likes   March 18, 2012 at 5:23PM
margaretk
I think that the windows treatments are the main problem. Your least expensive option would be to treat the windows on the back wall as if they are one set of windows - and the same for the side windows. All the verticals lines from the different sets of drapes is just too much. They are throwing the feng shui off - causes the harmony of the room to be out of balance. You could keep the drapes you have and sew them together - make some really heavy duty rods. Tie them back in the corners. Before doing anything - test this our by making a drawing - or use your photo shop. Figure out the best configuration - then go for it.

This room has almost too many windows - you said you might be replacing them - maybe some could become walls. Especially if the view is nothing special.

I think the beige rug is nice - but with a two year old I would go for something a little more colorful - something that will hid the kool aid and popsicle stains that are your destiny! A nice teal rug might work well. You will probably go through many, many rugs - especially if you have more children. Cheap rugs are advisable until they are at least 18 and head off to college.

The ceiling is so nice - love it! The walls could look good with a deeper shade of gold/taupe. But, that is something to try on photo shop too.

Move everything around - you may have the best configuration - but try pulling the sofa out from the wall - or changing the direction. Put some casters under the sofa legs
and start sliding it around to find out where it looks best.

I think this room might look good to mix in a little 50's - 60's retro style to give the room some character. Don't get in a hurry - with a little one - less is more. A teal pillow would look nice in the chair - and some more pillows on the sofa - the color of the chair used behind the teal pillows will help tie things together. Pillows do need to be larger.

Do not put in shades - that will increase the problem.
0 Likes   March 19, 2012 at 12:46AM
melibd
You have gotten a ton of feed back. I want to see a picture when you get thru.
0 Likes   March 19, 2012 at 5:24AM
snowhite84
Well I think that the ceiling should be the same color as the walls, or at least a shade lighter. That would open up the space as it seems cut in half. The other thing is that the rug being the same shade as the ceiling causes an odd mirrored effect with the ceiling. I would suggest something either similar in color to those great floors or maybe something in a seafoam with rusty bronze and coral red detailing.

If you can afford new furniture, two smaller couches facing each other, or two chairs and a couch would look great. Take the tv and center it in the room. (Although I dont care for tv as a center piece to any room.) Otherwise pull the couch off the wall and put a table with lamps or some decor behind it. The window treatments have to go. I think a neutral shade in an organic material would look great. It also would go with your minimalist decor that I see in the room. I would also consider something that draws the eye upwards to your ceilings, maybe some sort of wall decor in the mid-high section of the back wall. Maybe an oversized industrial styled clock?

With all that leather I would consider taking that rusty bronze color in the chair, and some seafoam colored pillows to place on the couch. Go for fabrics that you like, but try to mix in different patterns and textures. And do the reverse for the chair- use a dark brown bolster pillow. In all the colors, I would look for those that seem to have a grayish undertone and are not too bright, this way you can add color but not in an overtly feminine way.
0 Likes   March 19, 2012 at 8:30AM
Gorgeous Homes, Inc
Hi Suny, if you want, please email me at jchacone1@gmail.com there are so many ideas here, I am sure, you are probably more confused than ever.It would be my pleasure to do a free consultation!!
0 Likes   March 19, 2012 at 11:38AM
Mariska
Post a picture after all your changes ...good luck:)
0 Likes   March 19, 2012 at 12:16PM
I am seeking....
a day bed that has a trundle that when released goes...
happycl8
Kitchen Floor "Brazilian Green" Porcelain Tile?
I'm trying to decide if I want to change the tile on...
diyher
Garage size question.
We are finally going to tear down this original storage...
felixg
Small house - entry into living room
Recently renovated my approx. 850 sq. foot house and...
Josh Lardinois
master bed, bath, closet design - ripped out and stuck!
We have started work on our gut rehab of 1982 Lakehouse,...
Niels Seebeck