Living/dining area design
dupssJune 4, 2014
We have just moved into a new home. The walls of the living area are yellow/cream and the tiles are white with black flecks in them and surrounded by a border of black tiles. I am trying to avoid going with a black and white theme

I am allowed to repaint and want a warm and cozy space for my husband and I and kids when we have them. I am stumped on how to bring this together with the tiling in the space.

Open to suggestions on transforming this space. Many thanks
dupss
Ps: ignore the furniture. It's temporary till we decide what to do
    Bookmark   June 4, 2014 at 3:29AM
xrusou
I think the tile is one of the most versatile ones I've seen. You can do a lot of things with your space. The ceiling is gorgeous. The pics I posted were for the overall feeling.
I am not a big fan of plain black&white but it can be cosy with the right textures. (Ignore my english, I hope you get what I'm saying, I'm from Greece)
1 Like    Bookmark   June 4, 2014 at 4:14AM
dupss
Thanks xrusou. Getting some inspirations already. The third one with the yellow accents in particular. Understood you clearly.
    Bookmark   June 4, 2014 at 4:20AM
apple_pie_order
Beautiful light floors make a nice blank slate. I'd start with some rugs and take color cues from them.
1 Like    Bookmark   June 4, 2014 at 6:33AM
dupss
Thanks apple pie. I'm wondering if I need to factor in the black border when choosing colours. I would have loved to go with creams and oranges or greens but wondering if the black would stick out awkwardly
    Bookmark   June 4, 2014 at 6:36AM
I think you do need to factor in a bit of black, but it can be as simple as a single throw pillow on a chair or black picture frames. This versatile floor can go with any color palette you choose. Don't be afraid. You can make this a stunning space.
2 Likes    Bookmark   June 4, 2014 at 6:57AM
dupss
Thanks groveraxle. Sounds like a good way to incorporate the black without overpowering the room. Was getting worried about getting it wrong but I'm definitely encouraged now
    Bookmark   June 4, 2014 at 11:57AM
Dezign With a Z
Wow, a blank canvas! This space should be so much fun decorating! You could use your neutral black couches and neutral furniture colors but add a pop of color here and there (a couple of pillows for instance). Also, a rug would help add warmth to the room.
Have you thought about adding art to your wall? You can add a statement mural or a nice looking canvas as well. Not sure which style you are going for, but here are some suggestions:

http://www.dezignwithaz.com/fall-birch-trees-mural-p-10031.html http://www.dezignwithaz.com/bricks-wall-mural-p-2081.html http://www.dezignwithaz.com/chrome-digital-photos-canvas-p-1278.html http://www.dezignwithaz.com/flower-photos-printed-framed-canvas-p-1166.html
1 Like    Bookmark   June 4, 2014 at 1:23PM
xrusou
i don't know if it's true, I haven't done it yet, but I have heard that a color should be repeated three times in any size in a place. (for coordination)
    Bookmark   June 6, 2014 at 5:02AM
Need help in all areas of the Living Room/Dining Room
I like outdoor colors,light colored walls and white...
onlylooking
Jana Lanford
Country Houses/by Autin Patterson Disston Architects
Could you give us the dimensions of the room?
jerico1173
Need help designing a living/dining area w/ no flo!!
Hey! I am a new homeowner living in my great grandparents...
Drewby Riso
Need help designing small living room space and dining area
I live in a small two-story townhome and have been...
pdkerr
Christopher Onyemaechi
Sliding door. Do you think it will work in my lounge room?
I collected this old outside door. I want to use it...
Creative Street
Hardwood or tile?
I am trying to decide on whether to use hardwood floors...
jlgriesse
Buying this house need ideas to add architectural accents
I will be moving in March but would like to get some...
packerfan81276
Help design my country/vintage/modern idk what it is kitchen!
okay, here is my kitchen. Just had the granite installed...
toatsmcgoats