Living/dining area design
dupssJune 4, 2014
We have just moved into a new home. The walls of the living area are yellow/cream and the tiles are white with black flecks in them and surrounded by a border of black tiles. I am trying to avoid going with a black and white theme

I am allowed to repaint and want a warm and cozy space for my husband and I and kids when we have them. I am stumped on how to bring this together with the tiling in the space.

Open to suggestions on transforming this space. Many thanks
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dupss
Ps: ignore the furniture. It's temporary till we decide what to do
    Bookmark   June 4, 2014 at 3:29AM
xrusou
I think the tile is one of the most versatile ones I've seen. You can do a lot of things with your space. The ceiling is gorgeous. The pics I posted were for the overall feeling.
I am not a big fan of plain black&white but it can be cosy with the right textures. (Ignore my english, I hope you get what I'm saying, I'm from Greece)
1 Like    Bookmark   June 4, 2014 at 4:14AM
dupss
Thanks xrusou. Getting some inspirations already. The third one with the yellow accents in particular. Understood you clearly.
    Bookmark   June 4, 2014 at 4:20AM
apple_pie_order
Beautiful light floors make a nice blank slate. I'd start with some rugs and take color cues from them.
1 Like    Bookmark   June 4, 2014 at 6:33AM
dupss
Thanks apple pie. I'm wondering if I need to factor in the black border when choosing colours. I would have loved to go with creams and oranges or greens but wondering if the black would stick out awkwardly
    Bookmark   June 4, 2014 at 6:36AM
groveraxle
I think you do need to factor in a bit of black, but it can be as simple as a single throw pillow on a chair or black picture frames. This versatile floor can go with any color palette you choose. Don't be afraid. You can make this a stunning space.
2 Likes    Bookmark   June 4, 2014 at 6:57AM
dupss
Thanks groveraxle. Sounds like a good way to incorporate the black without overpowering the room. Was getting worried about getting it wrong but I'm definitely encouraged now
    Bookmark   June 4, 2014 at 11:57AM
PRO
Dezign With a Z
Wow, a blank canvas! This space should be so much fun decorating! You could use your neutral black couches and neutral furniture colors but add a pop of color here and there (a couple of pillows for instance). Also, a rug would help add warmth to the room.
Have you thought about adding art to your wall? You can add a statement mural or a nice looking canvas as well. Not sure which style you are going for, but here are some suggestions:

http://www.dezignwithaz.com/fall-birch-trees-mural-p-10031.html http://www.dezignwithaz.com/bricks-wall-mural-p-2081.html http://www.dezignwithaz.com/chrome-digital-photos-canvas-p-1278.html http://www.dezignwithaz.com/flower-photos-printed-framed-canvas-p-1166.html
1 Like    Bookmark   June 4, 2014 at 1:23PM
xrusou
i don't know if it's true, I haven't done it yet, but I have heard that a color should be repeated three times in any size in a place. (for coordination)
    Bookmark   June 6, 2014 at 5:02AM