Exterior advice. Brick or hardi?
roxannestill
White hardi with black shutters, or brick? If brick, would you do away with porch handrails? Not sure if I would like the look of brick with white handrails, and iron wouldn't match my interior. If hardi, would def do white porch handrails. Suggestions?? Also, best suited brick choices? Goal in mind is old southern. House is being built in SC.
Duplicate post.
June 4, 2014 at 7:42AM   
North Star Stone
Have you considered Hardie on the top, with a stone on the bottom half or lower third of the home? The two complement each other so well. Stone Exterior Siding Cobble Stone

Exterior Stone Siding and Hardie Board
June 4, 2014 at 8:25AM   
bluenan
White Hardie, black or black/green shutters, white columns and railings, and brick steps and porch foundation. Paint the porch ceiling a haint blue, and a standing seam roof is a plus, at least on the porch. You can't get anymore southern than that. No stone!
River Dunes Captain's House Lowcountry Greek Revival | Spring Island, South Carolina May River Custom Home The Owens Model at Old Davidson
June 4, 2014 at 9:39AM     
risris
I agree with bluenan - I would personally go with the Hardie, I think it just looks lighter and more welcoming than that much brick, especially on such a large and imposing home as you're building. And definitely no stone! If you do want brick, though, you can do white railings if you have enough white in the mortar. I love this home from Allison Ramsey Architects.
June 4, 2014 at 9:52AM      Thanked by roxannestill
VizX Design Studios, LLC
I would do both. North Star Stone has a good ideal of having stone on the lower section then the hardiplank on the upper portion of the house.
June 4, 2014 at 9:58AM   
risris
The reason I said definitely no stone is because the poster said they were going for a traditional "old southern" look. While there are structures of stone here (a few inns and forts come to mind), it's definitely not the traditional primary residential building material. The rural south would have been largely sided in clapboard with drystacked stone piers, and the "in town" south in either clapboard with brick piers or all brick.
June 4, 2014 at 10:09AM        Thanked by roxannestill
Chelsea Construction Corporation
We agree Hardie will be more subtle and "old Southern". Have you thought of using a soft yellow with the black and white accents? It looks rather nice in person. All the best. -Chelsea Construction.

June 4, 2014 at 10:39AM     
bluenan
Stone was not a common building material because it is not generally found in the southern coastal U.S. In the south brick was made locally and used extensively. In the coastal southeast they used a lot of tabby construction which was lime and oyster shells mixed with water and ash. South Carolina would fall into the brick or tabby areas.
June 4, 2014 at 10:44AM   
bluenan
Risris, I love the openwork brick porch foundation on your example, there are garden walls all over the south with the same design.
June 4, 2014 at 10:47AM   
risris
I actually almost mentioned tabby but didn't want to get too involved. The coastal south is also a karst region, so we do have a lot of indigenous limestone.
June 4, 2014 at 10:52AM   
risris
And yes, it's lovely, isn't it? Sometimes brick houses look to me like they're sinking into the ground because they don't necessarily need to differentiate between wall and foundation. I thought the openwork was a nice way to break up the expanse of brick. And the brick itself is beautiful, too. It doesn't look like new construction, which it is.
June 4, 2014 at 10:55AM   
roxannestill
Thanks to all for the advice. My heart says go with the hardi, but I'm not sure how often I'd have to paint. Brick will have less maintenance, correct?
June 4, 2014 at 1:04PM   
bluenan
In eastern Missouri where I live that half of the state is covered with exposed limestone, easily gathered and used for building purposes. The highways run through walls of limestone that had to be blasted through for paving. Isn't a lot of limestone in the coastal south buried and would have been difficult to excavate when brick and tabby could have been much more easily used?
June 4, 2014 at 1:51PM   
bluenan
Yes, I think over time brick will have less maintenance with an occasional tuck-pointing.
June 4, 2014 at 1:55PM   
risris
I'm glad you asked bluenan, because it led me to this karst map. If you can't read the legend, the dark green regions have exposed carbonate rocks (limestone, dolomite, marble) and the light green have those but buried. I'm located in the part of North FL where it's exposed, and it looks like there's some in South Carolina as well. And I see what you mean about MO!
http://www.northeastern.edu/protect/for-the-public-the-media/what-is-karst/
June 4, 2014 at 3:35PM     
risris
For what it's worth, my parents built a house in 2001 using white Hardi and have never repainted. Only maintenance they do is pressure washing and it still looks great.
June 4, 2014 at 3:42PM     
bluenan
Interesting map, thanks!
June 4, 2014 at 3:45PM     
roxannestill
Thanks everyone. If you see me post this again, it's only bc I'm trying to get as many opinions as possible.
June 5, 2014 at 6:24AM   
Exterior advice. Brick or hardi?
White hardi with black shutters, or brick? If brick,...
Need help coordinating stone, brick & Hardie Board exterior
My hubby and I are so blessed with opportunity to build...
Brick or hardi exterior?
White hardi with black/Charleston green shutters, or...
Need Advice on Exterior shutters on my brick home
Im having trouble finding the right shutters for the...
Need exterior color advice: red brick w/ white/off-white/cream stucco
I would love some help choosing a white or off-white...
Please help this large ugly wall!
Hi ! I have this large wall in my family room, the...
Help needed choosing splashback colour
Hi Attached is a pic of my kitchen now. walls have...
Fireplace help please.
Is this wall art piece too small for this spot? Should...
Need fireplace mantel
I need a fireplace mantel in my family room. The fireplace...