Bathroom colors..
janeesia
June 4, 2014 in Design Dilemma
Ok fellow Houzz enthusiasts! I bought this beautiful hand painted sink for my bathroom. I love the colors and its uniqueness. In an effort to reduce costs and recycle we bought a used vanity. Hubby wants to know what color for the countertop and also should we paint/stain the base? I'd like to keep the sink as a focal point while using complimentary colors that are flexible. I don't want to be stuck with a "theme", as I enjoy changing the decor often. What do you think?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lucindanyc
One idea is to paint the base white and get a white counter top. This would allow the sink to take center stage. You could then pull out one of the accent colors as a wall color and another color for accessories. What else is going on in your bathroom related to tile, etc. that we would need to consider?
0 Likes   June 4, 2014 at 5:45AM
PRO
CertaPro Painters of Santa Monica
If you want the sink itself to stand out from the rest then don't paint the cabinet and top white that will make the sink blend for me. Counter top will need a high adhesion primer if you are going to paint that like XIM 400( this can prime glass) and you also need a paint that dries hard to withstand the water something like Breakthrough from PPG/Glidden Pro. You could paint the counter and cabinet same color so they are not highlighted maybe a medium grey which would make the white stand out or white top with cabinet a different color to give the counter and sink the impression they are one piece on a base.
0 Likes   June 4, 2014 at 6:00AM
lucindanyc
@CertaPro > I believe the sink is the second picture, which is a bold painted pattern.
1 Like   June 4, 2014 at 6:40AM
PRO
Loribeth - Moments of Art
First, your sink is beautiful! There are so many colors in it that no matter what you do, the sink is going to be the focal point. There are so many options available, that it is hard to make a suggestion without knowing what your overall style sense is.

If you like contemporary, then paint the cabinet a dark gray and get solid surface countertop in a lighter shade of gray with a high gloss finish. A straight ease edge gives it a more contemporary look along with the color. Alternatively, if you husband doesn't like the idea of painting wood, then stain it a dark ebony.

For a traditional look, stain the cabinet cherry, and get a solid surface countertop in white with an ogee edge.

For a country look, paint the cabinet white and get a wood countertop stained whatever wood shade you like best, finished with at least 7 coats of polyurethane to make it durable for a bathroom application.

Additionally, you could go with the white on white look that lucindanyc suggested.

Whatever you do, stick with a countertop that is a solid color (except for the wood, which works with everything). Avoid countertops that have any kind of pattern in it, because the pattern will compete with your sink.

All of these options will allow your sink to be the focal point and are designs that you shouldn't tire of in a few years. They allow you to play around with colors and fabrics, so you can change things up.
1 Like   June 4, 2014 at 6:41AM
PRO
CertaPro Painters of Santa Monica
Oh .. I only see one pic on my phone app. Sorry.
1 Like   June 4, 2014 at 6:44AM