How does this look? Do I need wall sconces or anything else?
jdingles
Houzzers, room by room you are helping me make my house a home. This is the couch in my living room. We are happy with the wall color, it's a bit darker than the photo. I would love your comments.
tschroederfl
Your sofa needs pillows for color and your wall art is too small. Maybe something bigger on that wall or add wall sconces that hold candle pillers to fill in the wall and to give the wall some color
2 Likes   Thanked by jdingles    June 4, 2014 at 5:04PM
jdingles
What shapes/sizes for pillows ?
   June 4, 2014 at 5:24PM
tschroederfl
The size you have now will work.
   Thanked by jdingles    June 4, 2014 at 5:25PM
tschroederfl
Is that dust in the picture or orbs??) oh and I love the sofa.
   Thanked by jdingles    June 4, 2014 at 5:27PM
laurawcarpenter
The art isn't the right size. You need something larger and horizontal. I like the wall color!
4 Likes   Thanked by jdingles    June 4, 2014 at 5:36PM
judith1922
sofa and wall colour clash.

silver would work with a green....experiment, definitely grey. experiment again. there are a thousand greys. you have to actually paint a piece of wall, 4'x3' at least. grey changes with the light, the angle vis a vis the light sources.

take your time. definitely not what you have here.
   June 4, 2014 at 5:46PM
jdingles
Thank you everyone. No, dust btw! I love my couch too. Have had it for many years but had it recovered last year. I will post pictures of my changes:)
1 Like   June 4, 2014 at 6:13PM
Sofa, pillow, throw, and wall color all look great. The art is wrong. You knew that, didn't you, jdingles? ;-)
   June 4, 2014 at 6:15PM
.
6 Likes   June 4, 2014 at 6:33PM
jdingles
Yes, Grover! You have taught me well . I needed a break from the family room for awhile
1 Like   June 4, 2014 at 6:53PM
Nanette Robinson / Lake Norman Home Staging and De
A large horizontal canvas wrapped with beautiful fabric would be nice and make pillows in a coordinating fabric.
   Thanked by jdingles    June 4, 2014 at 7:09PM
jdingles
Nanette, that sounds nice. I don't think I've seen that type of canvas before. Any sites I can check out?
   June 4, 2014 at 7:16PM
I make my own...buy a canvas from Hobby Lobby (App store has a coupon for 40% off any one item) or Michael's, measure how much fabric you need and staple it around the canvas. Best of luck with your project:)
1 Like   Thanked by jdingles    June 4, 2014 at 7:29PM
adivra
Agree re different art. The sofa color gives you a great blank canvas and I like the color of the walls, but the crewel pillow fabric looks a little old fashioned as does the lamp shade. Try more contemporary fabrics on three pillows and a modified drum shape shade.
   Thanked by jdingles    June 4, 2014 at 8:12PM
jdingles
I'll go pillow shopping, thanks for guiding me along. The feedback is appreciated. Anyone want to help search for pillows ???
   June 4, 2014 at 8:44PM
adivra
If you can sew, great. Otherwise C&B, HomeGoods, PB, etc... have nice pillows. A bonus at CB and PB is that once you have the insert you can buy covers separately seasons to come.
   Thanked by jdingles    June 4, 2014 at 9:07PM
jdingles
Went shopping and found a few things! What do you think? My first time to PB. Wall art from Home Goods.
1 Like   June 5, 2014 at 12:20PM
zacberm
I really like this together. Good work!
   Thanked by jdingles    June 5, 2014 at 12:26PM
jdingles
I forgot...I got this pillow too. I like the colors and texture, but not sure if its too big
   June 5, 2014 at 12:47PM
Add a few more pillows in prints and solid. The picture is too small for wall. Find a smaller wall for it. A big 45" sunburst mirror hang 7" from top,of sofa. TJMax is great place for accessories. You need a coffee table in dark wood try round 24" if wood or tile on floor try area rug in color of walls and a cream print. 8x10 could work.
   June 5, 2014 at 1:14PM
Love the colors in pic but just to small.
   June 5, 2014 at 1:14PM
The pic you posted are a sea theme, are you going for that? Sofa is more formal. I would stay with that. Either get another same size picture as you have, or a mirror. Don't be afraid of pillows lots of them. Various size and shape mix it up.
3 Likes   June 5, 2014 at 1:18PM
Add a round end table next to sofa with a big base lamp in turquoise. White shade drum style. Home goods.
   June 5, 2014 at 1:19PM
Leona Malone
Agree with Nancy , sofa is more formal.. don't just get pictures because of their color but chose a theme first & then go looking for the color that you want.
   June 5, 2014 at 1:29PM
jdingles
I liked the art, not only the color, but theme and mirrored edges. I was thinking of hanging both side by side . Trying for more contemporary accessories to avoid old fashioned style. I'll keep trying and thanks for the comments.
   June 5, 2014 at 1:54PM
Yes, jdingles, this one IS for the birds. At least the way you've hung them is. Take the one on the left and the two on the right, hang them side by side, and return the other three.
4 Likes   June 5, 2014 at 4:58PM
jdingles
I know I know. They have flown the coop
1 Like   June 5, 2014 at 5:05PM
jdingles
Back to shopping today. Hard work, but someone's got to do it. Home Goods didn't have a lamp as Nancy suggested, so trying other stores.
   June 6, 2014 at 7:34AM
jdingles
Judith1922, I appreciate you joining the discussion. I've read your comments, but not quite sure about the silver and green comment. The couch is cream with not a speck of silver. We are keeping the wall color for now. Much of our house is revere pewter grey. Thx again.
   June 6, 2014 at 7:59AM
Boatman Carpet One
I think the sea theme was the best choice, and the room looks more polished because those pictures are the only ones with frames, nice frames. The orange and the blues worked well with the wall color, but as far as the sofa being to traditional, I would get a slip cover.
   Thanked by jdingles    June 6, 2014 at 8:09AM
Genevieve
The sea theme and another colour for the wall ,the white sofa isn't going along very well with the colour of the wall ,think blue and add touches of coral .it will look fresh and will bring the that feeling in .

Thanked by jdingles    June 6, 2014 at 8:19AM
SoCal Contractor
a bigger piece of art would do the trick
   June 6, 2014 at 8:25AM
Boatman Carpet One
I think a loose fit or drop cloth slip cover from pottery barn would look great on the sofa. Then you could go down to Galveston and pick up some little accessories for the room from one of the little shops on the beach or from the beach itself and have a nice comfy room.
   June 6, 2014 at 8:32AM
Genevieve
Are you unable to paint ? I really think that the colour on your wall isn't for a sea themed room ,think sand,azure water,blue sky, white clouds,corals,sea shells
1 Like   June 6, 2014 at 9:31AM
Boatman Carpet One
I think the lighter color cream will brighten up the room and the "Separate Seat Square Cushion Loose-Fit Slipcover - Twill" will hide that your sofa is more traditional without looking as sloppy as the drop cloth or tie-arm slip covers.
   June 6, 2014 at 9:47AM
Genevieve
   Thanked by jdingles    June 6, 2014 at 10:04AM
jdingles
What you see is the real deal. I would rather keep wall color than go with sea theme. Sea theme just came into play yesterday. I do like it, but would prefer working with existing wall color.
   June 6, 2014 at 10:19AM
Genevieve
then lets change route :) and work with the wall colour ,remove all these sea scape themes and art and lets start over with the Tuscan views like groveraxle suggested ,

Thanked by jdingles    June 6, 2014 at 10:26AM
jdingles
Adlvra, Victorian shade removed and replaced with drum shade matching the couch. Thank you !
   June 9, 2014 at 4:18PM
jdingles
hi Genevieve, I like the pillow suggestion. I can't tell on my screen if that is red orange?
1 Like   June 28, 2014 at 5:13PM
jdingles
Dearest Grover, do you think you can photoshop the pillow suggested by Genevieve? I'm still torn between the Tuscan and sea theme/colors. I like both of them so much and wondering if there is anyway to go outside box and blend them together?
   June 28, 2014 at 5:16PM
karemore55
Hi jdingles, Can I put in my two cents worth? I think you should ditch the sea theme idea, as pretty as the colors in that coral art were. But, I'm looking at your sexy, curvy sofa and that lampshade that is just peeking in at the left of your pic, and thinking a beach theme isn't going to work here.

You don't really need a "theme" at all, but of you love your Tuscan print, then the additional one Grover photoshopped in will balance it nicely.

To the PB floral pillow, I would add a couple of blue solids, and make them a little bigger than the floral. So, if that floral is a 20", maybe go with 24" for the solids. The shade of blue is your preference - could be a light blue, or maybe a darker, dusk blue?
   June 28, 2014 at 6:28PM
karemore55
Here is a other way you could go - if you still have that cute little Roz lumbar pillow, place that in the centre of the sofa, then put a neutral on each side - one behind the floral and the other on its own.

I like these tonal pillows from PB as they reverse to a coordinating color. This one is in Baguette, although the color looks a little "off" on the screen. The Baguette color has a more caramel tone to it.
1 Like   Thanked by jdingles    June 28, 2014 at 6:48PM
Christina
The wall color is just off with this sofa. Would you consider changing it? Agree that original art was too small and the sea them doesn't work. If you keep this wall color maybe a back and white something? Or something with a black frame.

Trying to mix the tuscan theme and the sea theme seems really brave but I'm not sure what you goal is. To me that would be 3 directions...sea theme, tuscan, and then the formal sofa and going for a theme seems a bit dated.

I would go the direction Genevieve has suggested, it will be timeless and perfect with the sofa.

No to covering it, always awkward when people do that.
   Thanked by jdingles    June 28, 2014 at 6:51PM
Here is Genevieve's pillow and a new drum lamp shade with a second Tuscan painting, which you'll need if you go this route. IMO, it's a little blah. This pillow is not much different from your original pillow, and I don't think adding blue pillows will help.

Can you give us a shot of the wall from a bit further back so we get more of a sense of the space? Better yet, give us photos of all of the walls. I feel like we're working in a vacuum here.

Also, can you tell us the name of the wall color?
1 Like   June 28, 2014 at 7:23PM
lovebugsmom
Hi, I really like your wall color with the couch. What if you matted and framed your first picture to make it bigger over couch. Then pick colors from it for pillows. Very warm and cozy colors.
   Thanked by jdingles    June 28, 2014 at 7:51PM
jdingles
Wall color is Ben Moore Amber Stone
   June 28, 2014 at 9:57PM
jdingles
I'm sticking with traditional , Tuscan feel warm colors! I made a decision :). Sea art will go in another room. Looking for a large sun burst mirror now.
   June 28, 2014 at 10:00PM
jdingles
I put a few sunburst mirrors in my living room ideabook
1 Like   June 28, 2014 at 10:43PM
How about cooling the room down a bit?
2 Likes   Thanked by jdingles    June 29, 2014 at 7:48AM
jdingles
Nancytravisinteriors, do you have any sunburst mirror suggestions?
   June 29, 2014 at 11:55AM
shelleyblue1
Cannot find amber stone on bm's site? How long have you had the walls painted?
Found this photo on bm's site. Is this the look you are going for?

Your sofa seems a bit silvery grey cream which is different from the natural beigey cream linen look here. Have you ever looked at Maria Killiam's colours site. She is very knowledgeable and talks about clean colours and dirty colours. It could be that wall and sofa are different undertone -wall dirty as in muddied with a colour to tone it down (or something like that) and sofa is a clean colour making it had to harmonize whatever accent pieces you put into the room.

I am not expert but if you read her blog and Facebook page there seems to be a lot of info and examples to look at. I am trying to pick paint right now so am reading everything I can.
1 Like   Thanked by jdingles    June 29, 2014 at 12:46PM
jdingles
I am sooooo sorry, its Dutch boy amber stone! Forgive me. I typically use bm products.
   June 29, 2014 at 2:23PM
shelleyblue1
Oops! That should be Maria Killam not killiam and her blog's name is colour me happy.
   Thanked by jdingles    June 29, 2014 at 2:25PM
jdingles
And, really, there is not a hint of silver in the fabric. It is cream tones only.
   June 29, 2014 at 2:25PM
Deborah Sciaba
The art work is too small for that large wall and a landscape instead of portrait presentation will look better.
   Thanked by jdingles    June 29, 2014 at 2:31PM
shelleyblue1
What I meant by silvery is that there are many types of cream /white. Such as yellow or green Or grey or brown tones to it. In the photos sofa seems more grey cream as opposed to yellow cream. Walls are orange. Maybe Dutch boy has some of those samples cars with colours that complement the amber stone and you can use those as an idea of the colour to complete your room. I do like the tones of the last photoshopped pic. The grey and whites looked great. I think blue is a complementary colour to orange so your pictures with the coral and blue shod go but if you are sticking to Tuscan look maybe another large landscape picture with some blues corals and other colours that show on the paint ideas from Dutch boy in it might work. Love your sofa.

This is what Dutch boy says about room attached.
Orange Living
Subtle variations of orange harmonize perfectly in this living room. From the pastel walls to the pillows, the multiple shades make orange interesting without being overpowering.

Additional Information
Color Visualizer
- See more at: http://www.dutchboy.com/room-scenes/color/orange/orange-living#sthash.iTdqGfob.dpuf

Second photo the walls are a bit darker but it shows Grey blue with it.
Write up about colour and room.
Earthy Energy

Give your living room a pop of energy with earthy orange walls. The blue-gray wall and accent pillow bring balance and elegance to the space.

- See more at: http://www.dutchboy.com/room-scenes/color/orange/earthy-energy#sthash.Gtt42zhn.dpuf

Good luck. It is tough coordinating everything and easy to give advice as one does not have to actually make the decision to do what was suggested. Easy to spend others money and try out theories for someone else. Just having to actually decide and pay out the cash and make the time and effort is the hard part.

I am sticking with white walls and still can't decide what white, what will go with furniture and white kitchen open to living room as i have a small condo or what other colours to use in room - it's been 3 months now and I just keep telling myself that at least I have no clutter now.
   Thanked by jdingles    June 29, 2014 at 3:40PM
Angie Hollifield
You need a larger picture that is horizon tai for better balance, I think throw pillows will help as mentioned to bring it together.
   Thanked by jdingles    June 29, 2014 at 3:45PM
jdingles
Grover, are those sea shell prints?!?! I do like it lightened up a bit.
   June 30, 2014 at 3:37PM
Ues, jdingles, I think they're x-ray images of nautilus shells that have been tinted. I also like shelleyblue's dutch boy room above on the right. I do think you need to cool the space down. I should have weighed in earlier, but I think you were on the right track here:
1 Like   June 30, 2014 at 5:08PM
Frankly, I like this look:
   Thanked by jdingles    June 30, 2014 at 5:21PM
jdingles
Lol.. I love this site. I like the prints very much with the mirrored frame, which reflects the light.
   June 30, 2014 at 5:48PM
Christina
Shelleyblue1: Try out Ben Moore's Dove Wing, OC-17. There are so many photo's of that used on this site! I'm using now in my more traditional home that we are updating because I didn't want to take the time to choose a color....I used it in my other home (main residence) which is very comtemporary. Really looks good with everything.
1 Like   June 30, 2014 at 5:49PM
jdingles
Hey Grover, hop on over to my other project--I think I found a side table :)
   June 30, 2014 at 7:29PM
Need Help For My Small Condo Living Room!
I found a small sectional to fit the room, but I can't...
Kitchen too dark!!
our kitchen has been completely redone by the past...
Bedroom: Input needed! Last wall and finishing touches...
I have been working on updating my bedroom over the...
Recommendations for carpeting in newly constructed lower level
Traditional style home. Shopping for flooring to go...
Let's play hide and seek
Ok. In the process of remodeling the whole family room....