What do we do with wood panelling in the living room?
lolatucker
Just bought a new house that we love but it needs updating. What can we do with diagonal brown wood paneling in the living room? It has an angled vaulted ceiling - contemporary style house built in 1981. We like having some wood, but it's just too dark and too much brown and too dated. Would it be weird to paint this diagonal wood paneling? I think the alternative is rip out the paneling and replace with dry wall - maybe re use the wood for wainscoting?
HI -- Because it is diagonal , which is not done anymore it would be best to just remove it all . I wouldn't even reuse it in the living room . It's just not worth the time or effort . Nice new drywall and no wainscoting which will just cut the room in half . Can you post a photo of the room ?
June 5, 2014 at 2:06pm   
Photos of the room would be helpful.
June 5, 2014 at 2:18pm   
Lampert Dias Architects, Inc.
I agree that some photos will help........
You can start by painting it all white or a very light color.....If you like it then live with it for a while. Eventually you may want to remove it and drywall with a smooth finish.
June 5, 2014 at 7:56pm   
lolatucker
Thanks for your thoughts. Here are some photos (these are professional photos taken before we moved in - so this is not our furniture). One thing we really do like is this wood beam across the ceiling between the living room and dining room. We'd like to stem our design off this wood beam - a little rustic, a little farmhouse but still classy. Also, notice the wood wainscoting in the dining room and hallway. Keep it? Paint it? Extend this into the living room after we take out the diagonal paneling? I'd love any ideas on furniture and window treatments too!
June 7, 2014 at 11:38am   
Home sick in Louisiana
All I see is brown stain - I have many questions re:...
New kitchen, but just not working.
Hi all. Here is my dilemma. We built this house...
Kitchen granite
My wife and I are doing a new build. We are roof tight....
Need entryway help!!
I have the world's most boring entryway! I have worked...