Clueless on decorating finishes, please help. Houzz watcher for a year
39mckay
I Finally got courage to ask for help after doing a major reno that was inspired by being a Houzz watcher for a year. Houzz was my go to app to dream about our reno while going through 6 months of chemo & 3 years of recovery. Now we are enjoying our open concept reno
b u t . . Now I am decorating stuck.

Wall art, side & coffee tables? Drapes & area rug - yes or no? Entrance bench cover, solid, stripes or remove cushion? Put something on bay living room and dining room bay windows? Furniture placement, sorry I am all over the place on requesting assistance.

Bought new low espresso tv stand with stainless steel hardware on drawers, just waiting to buy new flat screen tv that must stay in our only living/great room. Dark brown leather couch a & loveseat must stay for now but would love a future suggestion.
39mckay
Kitchen, back door view
June 5, 2014 at 7:26pm   
Congratulations on your recovery and your beautiful reno.

The first thing I see is you need window coverings for light control at least. Look at shades or blinds for the bay windows, perhaps with panels on each end to soften the look.

For balance, your console should be longer than your TV which means it won't fit in the corner the way you have it now. Depending on its size, you might consider centering the sofa on the window wall, putting the loveseat perpendicular so it forms an L-shape, and putting the TV on the current sofa wall directly opposite the loveseat. Depending on the size of the TV and console, you may not need anything else on that wal.

Use an area rug to define the space. Make it big enough to put all front feet of the seating on it.

The art in the dining room needs to be lowered so the center of the grouping is at eye level sitting down.
June 5, 2014 at 7:46pm     
39mckay
Oh Grover, you have been my favourite with your suggestions and photo shops. We ordered dove grey honeycomb shades/blinds top down bottom up and the delivery date shows tomorrow. I will post pics tomorrow if we get delivery & I can get hubby's help to install them.

Hubby is pretty stubborn on not getting the tv cable moved to the current couch wall. I measured the tv council and it will fit across corner, bad idea? I don't know how to access my ipad photos to attach a picture of tv stand. When I try to attach photo from library it says I need to change my private settings, not sure hoe to do this, maybe our daughter can help me! Children helping parents, priceless!
June 5, 2014 at 8:33pm     
39mckay
Thanks Grover, all is going good. I attribute my recovery to date being so busy with reno decisions it makes me get up each morning to find a new discovery.

The tv stand picture is attached, (daughters are wonderful). We will go with a 44" tv, need size not want. The new stand is only 11" longer. I would LOVE to move it to the couch wall but could it work to leave the tv across existing corner?
June 5, 2014 at 8:57pm     
The TV in the corner isn't too bad now, but only because it's small. The new one is going to consume the entire space, perhaps even overhang it, and look crammed, like an afterthought.

Rooms in which things don't quite fit always look like a bit of a hash. And TVs over too-short consoles always look top-heavy and unbalanced.

Here is one thing you might try if it fits. Put the new cabinet flat against the window wall. Mount the TV on the wall on an articulating arm so you can pull it out to the perfect viewing angle. On the wall where the vase of sticks is now hang two pieces of square art stacked vertically. (Send the sticks to the fireplace for kindling.)

Perhaps I can Photoshop this for you when I return home tomorrow (after a very intense week of oil painting). ;-)
June 6, 2014 at 6:04am     
39mckay
Ok, got the dove grey honeycomb blinds up. Soft grey called dove, not silvery. Really like the color. Should we do curtains just on the outside of the windows to dress it up. That wall is apx 16 feet, the window is 76" wide and 56" tall. I don't want curtains in the dining room, not enough side wall space.

Attached some pics. We are going out of town and won't have internet access til Sunday.
June 6, 2014 at 3:05pm     
June 6, 2014 at 3:28pm     
39mckay
The art work can be changed, it's just what we had.
June 6, 2014 at 3:33pm   
Now that I think about it, it's kind of funny that you just finished a major renovation and hubby is adamant about keeping the cable in the same spot. ;-)
June 6, 2014 at 7:52pm     
39mckay
Grover, it does seem silly but he likes the tv in the corner because he usually watches the news while we eat dinner.
June 8, 2014 at 12:55pm   
39mckay
A crew of two, thanks for the rug suggestions. I've attached a picture of the living room art piece for colors. I like the 2nd rug colors, but the first one would bring in a pop of color.
June 9, 2014 at 6:47am     
39mckay
Wondering if we should do curtains on the sides of the living room bay window? What color, grey, dark brown, solid, patterned?

The feature wall (livingroom coloured art & metal art over dining table) is BM metropolis as well as the entrance mirrored wall. All other walls are BM smokey taupe. The quartz counters, including the island are Cambria New Castle. The cupboards are maple with a walnut stain.

I am not liking the coffee, end tables with the metal legs. . .should we do a round coffee table and maybe 2 different side tables, with 1 being by the loveseat? What should go under the window, 2 cushioned benchs?

I love this site and appreciate all input as I am so stuck on decorating this completed reno. Our house rule is I can't redecorate another room until this one is finished. Thanks everyone. ;-)
June 10, 2014 at 9:38pm   
39mckay
Groveraxle, what colors should we look at for the area rug, something to pop or muted? Still working on getting the tv on the couch wall, that would be my favorite arrangement.
June 12, 2014 at 10:06pm   
I love this Bali rug from your ideabook...

...but not with your brown sofas.

When people have dark brown sofas, their rooms always seem to end up dark, even dreary. This rug would be gorgeous with ivory or even gray sofas. Let me see what else I can find. I also think you might like your tables better with the right rug.

If you find a rug you want to see, post a link here and I'll Photoshop it into your room. It's easy-peasy now that I have your furniture cut out.
June 12, 2014 at 10:43pm   
All rugs from West Elm, lamps from LampsPlus:
June 12, 2014 at 11:12pm     
A Crew of Two
If you are getting rid of the sofas soon (within a year or two) get an area rug you love, if it will be longer then maybe just go neutral for now? Until you have the sofa I don't think you can choose your colors etc. When Iook in your idea book you have a lot of different styles you are drawn to, but they all have one thing in common- clean lines and pieces that pop. So- if you are going with new artwork....new rug....new tables etc buy things you love. It is so worth it to wait and love it. What is your favorite color? Gray is neutral so any color goes. If you prefer neutral- then build the room with texture and different finishes- baskets, metals, soft fabrics with texture. You can add a pop of color with a vase or a small item without committing to a lot of color. Neutrals can be gorgeous! Also- you can get some great rugs if you look at indoor/outdoor ones. Parkway West Chelsea Transitional Family Room Couristan 2104-1040 Covington Neutrals Indoor/Outdoor Rug
June 13, 2014 at 1:51am   
39mckay
Groveraxle, what a difference a rug makes. I made a new file in my Houzz labeled "rugs". Only if and when you have a couple of minutes could you pick a couple of your favourites for our brown couch. I am working on possibly moving our couches down to the rec room and might be able to go grey in our living room.

My Idea book is all over the map, some pics from getting ideas for our remodel, some for cottage decorating plus some hints for our daughter's house. I should spend the weekend cleaning up my book!
June 13, 2014 at 2:22pm   
I picked four rugs from your ideabook--my favorites--and shopped them in your room. Here they are. My very most favorite would be the very most expensive, of course, the blue Jaipur.
June 13, 2014 at 5:38pm   
Then, just for fun, I got you one new couch and shopped the Uttermost rug in the space. It makes your art look kind of dull now, but it sure brightens up the room. Of course, these colored lamps add quite a punch as well.
June 13, 2014 at 5:40pm     
It occurs to me that these rugs could look much darker in the space, so if you can get them locally and return if you don't like them, that would be best. Barring that, I'd order samples first before ordering a whole rug (unless they have a fabulous return policy that includes free return shipping).
June 13, 2014 at 5:44pm     
39mckay
Wow, thanks Groveraxle. I showed hubby how it would look. His thought has been why did we spend all this money on hardwood floors if you want to cover them up. I explained the defined space and comfort of rug under your feet while sitting on the couches. I think he knows he's going to lose this battle.

I like the 2nd one. I am going to check out our local rug stores and their return policies and drag some of them home. The rugs I picked for my idea book, all had free shipping but I forgot to check if they ship to Canada. I guess I could always ship them to our border down US postal holding and drive out to pick them up. Yes, we are Canadian, eh!

Now, do we need draped in the living room? Just side panels to dress it up or no?
June 15, 2014 at 1:30pm   
Curtains would look good. If you get your favorite rug, I'd go with something like these ridiculously expensive ones from Restoration Hardware in spruce:
June 15, 2014 at 4:03pm      Thanked by 39mckay
Help, I am clueless about paint finishes!
We are building a new house and have never had to paint...
Please help me finish my Houzz kitchen...backsplash ideas?
I am looking for some ideas to finish my kitchen. ...
Clueless PLEASE help!
I have boring white walls....I have a nice home but...
Clueless! Area rug help please
Just moved in and we are trying to pick out an area...
red railroad high gloss tile in the kitchen with carmel modern cabinet
What to do? keep the red railroad tiles on backspace...
Unfinished living room
Is a shame to say this but for some reason or another...
Kitchen chairs - what color?
We remodeled our kitchen and are building a maple farm...