need help with my dining room hutch placement in my foyer possibly
julie66666
June 6, 2014 in Design Dilemma
I am looking at buying a brownstone where the open dining room will not hold my traditional hutch .the foyer will accommodate it -is that OK??
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
Can you show us a photo of the hutch please, and of the foyer, too, if you have one? I think it could work, but wouldn't be sure without photos. Also, have you measured, or do you just "think" it will fit? How long is the wall and how wide is the hutch? I ask because there's also the possibility that while it might actually fit, it might look too big for the space. Will it crowd the pathway into the house?
1 Like   June 6, 2014 at 7:40AM
julie66666
hutch is 18 inches wide and 63 inches long -the foyer is 9 feet long and 10 feet wide -there is a single door opening in
0 Likes   June 6, 2014 at 8:21AM
PRO
It does look very dining roomish, doesn't it! Is the dining room just off the entry? I guess I'm not thrilled with the idea of a china cabinet in the entry instead of a pretty console with a mirror above it. It just doesn't quite set the right mood. So while it would fit, I don't think it's what I would want to do. And I realize it's probably not what YOU want to do either, but you're "married" to the china cabinet. Could you do something radical like selling it? Do you absolutely have to have it? Would you rather have the new house or the china cab?
1 Like   June 6, 2014 at 9:09AM
sullivandesign
So difficult when our furniture won't fit. The hutch won't work in the entry- definitely for dining room or kitchen.
0 Likes   June 7, 2014 at 12:09AM
adivra
Beautiful piece. Make it work. Maybe you can use other than traditional items for display.
0 Likes   June 7, 2014 at 12:18AM
julie66666
don't know what to do -other than to ask the builder to put in a wall between the DR and the hearth room -wont be as "open" but creates a space -see attached
1 Like   June 7, 2014 at 9:00AM
julie66666
I cant get the attachment to work
0 Likes   June 7, 2014 at 9:15AM
jukirk
Can you separate the pieces? Use the bottom as a console in the foyer and somehow hang the top in the dining room or kitchen for storage? Did this a long time ago, with a similar piece, and loved the effect. The pieces were eventually reunited in a larger dining room.
0 Likes   June 7, 2014 at 9:18AM
orchardsgal
Can it go in a family room or office and used as a bookcase? Or can just the bottom work in another room. If it's really unusable, sell it! It will be a relief to just let it go!
0 Likes   June 7, 2014 at 9:35AM
PRO
I would put it in the entry instead of having a wall built for it and upsetting the flow of the house as it was meant to be. Then if you hate it there, you can sell it or give it to a friend.
0 Likes   June 7, 2014 at 1:09PM