What do I need to finish this room?
mariatp
Thanks so much for helping me with color selection yesterday! The walls are coming out great in the living/dining and I will update that post when it's complete!

Today we finally got the art for my family room delivered and I feel it's almost complete but not quite. I need help on a table lamp for the side table and something on the corner instead of the floor lamp...and anything else I may need!
Paula Gray
An area rug?
June 6, 2014 at 9:57am     
mariatp
Yes I think I do need one, just hoping to avoid it because I have two large dogs. If it doesn't look complete with other accessories then I will cave and get it!
June 6, 2014 at 10:02am   
Deb Bayless - Design for Keeps
I agree with Paula, a rug would help to finish the space. You could always do a smaller one that sits under the coffee table and just extends as wide/long as your sectional. Another thought would be to add some greenery - a tall ficus or hanging fern - in the corner and pull the floor lamp out closer to the sectional. Oh, and a throw on the sofa would be nice.
June 6, 2014 at 10:05am     
mariatp
Thank you! Any suggestions on what rug?

I thought also of a tree in that corner...don't really like the floor lamp. But I have a black thumb and don't want to have it die on me. Are ficus trees ok with neglect?
June 6, 2014 at 10:08am   
Deb Bayless - Design for Keeps
Judging by the blues in your photo, what about something like this from Room & Board. It looks to be more cream than white which would work with your floor tile. As to indoor plants, I'd ask at your local nursery or consider a good artificial one.
June 6, 2014 at 10:21am     
katewright
A big palm plant would look nice in the corner. I am also terrible at keeping plants alive but I've had great luck with one that I got at Costco last year for $20. They don't require much watering but add a lot of height and life to a space!

What about a flatwoven rug like the Mudhut one below from Target? It might not collect as much dog hair as a more plush rug would.
June 6, 2014 at 11:18am     
abbyjean
BEAUTIFUL room! Just try moving the floor lamp to the left of the sectional and see if you are happy with that look. I do not think it will interfere with the art???? You may not need side tables with lamps as the coffee table looks like people can reach it for drinks and/or books.

Part of me says to leave the corner bare once the lamp leaves there. I worry that something there, like a nice big plant, which I do love, will fight/interfere with that awesome art.
June 6, 2014 at 11:19am     
mariatp
Thanks! I'm going to start looking for a plant...maybe fake one if it's not a faux paus! I do find the side table useful for drinks, remotes as the kids usually take over the coffee table and anything on there is at risk of being knocked over. I have outdoor rugs at the doors to the house and I love them and how easy they are to hose down. Ideally I would love a plush/shaggy rug but with golden retrievers the hair and smell would be horrible :(
June 6, 2014 at 4:31pm   
claudiann
Personally I would want a beefier coffee table. It seems a tiny bit short too. how about something big in a color from the painting? I would like to see something from nature as well. Maybe some baskets and a sisal rug. Maybe some ceramic art or plates in blue or green on the wall. It is a nice room.
June 6, 2014 at 7:18pm     
mariatp
Thanks claudiann! The table is new but not new enough to be returnable so it has to stay...unless later on I move it to living room and get rid of that table. I do like the idea of something ceramic there to bring more of the picture colors...my only concern with decor in this rooms is that this is where the kids play (roughly) so I have to be careful. This is a view from the French doors.
June 7, 2014 at 5:52am     
June 7, 2014 at 9:36am     
christinanick
Rug.
June 7, 2014 at 9:39am   
mariatp
Thanks @deb bayless...I'll look at those rugs!!
June 7, 2014 at 10:18am   
shweta10
I like the art piece ... Where did u get it from ??? And what size is it ?
June 7, 2014 at 10:29am     
mariatp
@shweta10 thank you! My husband is a photographer and this is one of his pieces!! I love it! I don't know the exact size off the top of my head but I think it's 8ftx6ft...I can confirm later on! It's big but can be done in any size ;)
June 7, 2014 at 10:45am     
mariatp
Actually maybe 7x5...because it's not taller than me :)
June 7, 2014 at 10:48am   
mariatp
What about something like this?
June 7, 2014 at 11:03am   
mariatp
Or this? Or am I totally off?
June 7, 2014 at 11:04am   
mariatp
Would love a shag rug like this but I think my OCD would go nuts with the dogs
June 7, 2014 at 11:06am   
I'd like to see a pop of color on the TV wall, in lamp and rug. I think you could replace those traffic cones. They don't seem to add anything of interest to the space.
June 7, 2014 at 11:39am     
mariatp
Wow groveraxle! Thanks! Where is the lamp from? And the rug? I agree about needing some color by tv, anyway we can keep the cones...they are airplane parts (the very front of an airliner) and my husband loves them as a former AA pilot!
June 7, 2014 at 11:45am   
mariatp
More pics of the room...the drapes/cornice
June 7, 2014 at 11:57am   
A selection of rugs with the cool yellow lamp from cb2. I like teal the best.
June 7, 2014 at 12:00pm     
You can keep the cones--they're probably more interesting close up--but they need to be displayed in a different way and maybe in a different place. For now, try putting them side by side on the left of the TV, with a low red bowl on the right.

The lamp is from cb2, the rug from West Elm.
June 7, 2014 at 12:06pm     
Move floor lamp closer to back of sofa. Add a big palm to that corner. Love yr art. Good job on that.
June 7, 2014 at 12:06pm     
mariatp
Thanks nancy! Ok...lamp is closer!
June 7, 2014 at 12:09pm   
Remove small rug by door. Doesn't work not needed. It's tile. Put a throw in a turquoise over one end of sofa. Add tall pots (3) to coffee table, in accent color mix with white. TJ Max good for this. Don't match things like you did with lamps. Change out table one with a very big base in a silver with a black shade drum style. Add decor items too end table.
June 7, 2014 at 12:10pm   
mariatp
Wow groveraxle! Thanks for taking the time to do that!!
June 7, 2014 at 12:11pm   
A area rug 5x8 may work float in front of sofa under coffee table try a gray shag for texture. Or a black and white cow hide. Ikea has good price. It will add interest and texture to room.
June 7, 2014 at 12:12pm   
Add very tall 3-4 ft on end of media try 3. In accent color. Looks like the blues.
June 7, 2014 at 12:13pm   
Nice room just needs to be warmed up. Accessories help.
June 7, 2014 at 12:14pm   
mariatp
Hi nancy! Thanks for all your suggestions! I actually do need the rug by door, it catches the dirt/water from dogs as they go out like 5 times a day! It's an outdoor/indoor rug so I just hose down as needed. I also have a rug on the outside but it's never enough with my dogs.

Regarding the lamps, what do u mean the matching thing? They're very different and I actually don't like either...lol! They were just in old house and this is where they've ended up.
June 7, 2014 at 12:14pm     
I have dogs, why not a area rug?
June 7, 2014 at 12:15pm      Thanked by mariatp
.
June 7, 2014 at 12:15pm     
Get a silk palm, they look real. And won't die. Get a nice tall big ceramic pot for it in a color
June 7, 2014 at 12:16pm      Thanked by mariatp
Make sure palm is 5 ft tall or taller.
June 7, 2014 at 12:17pm      Thanked by mariatp
mariatp
Thanks @groveraxle! @nancy, where do you mean area rug? by the door? or by couches? Is it too much to do the area rug by couches and keep the one by door? I don't know if my dogs are "special" or what…but they're paw are always soaked.
June 7, 2014 at 12:18pm   
mariatp
Silk palm, good idea! :)
June 7, 2014 at 12:18pm   
Sorry about lamp guess they don't match. Floor lamp not bad and looks better next to sofa. But table one is bad. Rug by door if you need go a color as close to tile as you can, it should not be a focal pt like it is now.
June 7, 2014 at 12:23pm   
mariatp
Wow...I just looked up west elm rug and that's way out of my price range! I was thinking like 300 bucks for a rug...am I dreaming that I could get one for that much?
June 7, 2014 at 12:25pm   
mariatp
Oh actually that was the 12x18 thats 1699! What size do I need?
June 7, 2014 at 12:31pm   
Atticmag_Jane T.
With your dogs & kids, look for a polypropylene rug. If either have accidents, you can hose it off yourself. Stick to a busy pattern as opposed to a solid and it won't show dirt. I personally think the striped rug shown above is too lightweight looking for your heavy sectional. The moroccan rug (2nd in the group of 3 above) is really soft and comfy and cleans up well. Agree with the suggestion to swap out the sliding door rug for something neutral.
June 7, 2014 at 12:48pm     
http://plushrugs.com/nourison/amore/amor2/aqua/ http://plushrugs.com/trans-ocean/amalfi/circles/ocean/ http://plushrugs.com/shaw/world-market-garden-craft/waterfall/blue/

All polypropylene. You need a rug that fits in the space as pictured. Measure to see how large that would be.
June 7, 2014 at 4:31pm     
mariatp
Thanks to all!

I really like the first one in those pics @groveraxle, in my screen it's like aqua, does that go with my room? I guess I don't see blue and aqua together but I'm clueless with his stuff!
June 7, 2014 at 5:10pm   
mariatp, I was keying on the art over the sofa for the rug (and the lamp). I specifically did look for aqua/teal/turquoise as opposed to blue. Monitors are notorious for distorting color, so your rug by the door looks aqua to me. I was aiming for a hue in that range. And yes, blue and aqua can be smashing together.

Of the three Photoshopped rugs above, my fave is the middle one with the multicolored circles. I think it echoes the art best without detracting and adds just enough interest without being in-your-face.

BTW, I agree with those who say to change the dog rug by the door to a neutral. You want your focus on the seating area, not the door.
June 7, 2014 at 6:03pm     
Lynne Forrestal
Great choices Groveraxle!, but if you want some more blues, check our rugsusa.com for their outdoor rugs too, several there in the blue tones that may work for you.
June 7, 2014 at 8:32pm     
mariatp
Thanks to everyone for their suggestions! I added the yellow lamp and finally my rug arrived today. I didn't add anything in the corner behind the lamp but just moved it closer to couch and don't think anything else will fit there without looking crowded. What do you think?

I'm still looking for something for under my tv (that additional pop of yellow)...any additional suggestions?
June 23, 2014 at 5:53pm     
christinanick
Like the yellow! Maybe do a few vases, removing the darker one in the corner and large coffee table book? I would get rid of the tall lamp in the corner, it doesn't look right with the other lamp.
June 23, 2014 at 9:23pm     
Alexa Duby
Hi! I think your living area is on the right path, but you're missing a few things. Just like everyone already mentioned, a rug would be a great fit. To match your inspiration artwork piece, pick a color that matches...I like the green color. It's masculine and goes very well with different textures and colors. Try taking out the mat in front of the door and instead leaving that area bare. Maybe add some patterned curtains that hang from the ceiling and fall to the ground to add some more height and color in the room. I feel like there is a lot of brown going on and some pops of colors would benefit the look of the design. Also, the lamp in the right corner of the room appears too small. Instead, try a floor light that would hang over the couch. Lastly, after looking at the rest of the pictures of the room, I think a different space plan would suit your space more. I would replace the sectional with a couch that goes slightly up against the wall and have two chairs across from it. This way it wouldn't block the entry way to the back porch which is a major traffic pattern. I hope my tips help!
June 23, 2014 at 11:57pm     
mariatp
Thanks @ christinanick! I don't really like that corner lamp either...just don't know how else to fit the space. A tree / plant was suggested but my husband said no to that idea.

Thanks for your suggestions Alexa! However, the couch is new so I can't change it, but I did add a rug and a yellow lamp for that extra color, though I'm looking for a few more! The drapes I don't love but are custom and I can't replace those at the moment so I have to work with it.
June 24, 2014 at 4:30am   
Catherine Hantsche
Hi Mariatp
I'm an Aussie but love Houzz now see there is an Aussie one, anyway the room looks awesome, maybe put in some things that reflect you, quirky, stylish, modern, contempo, retro.
Needs some layers so a lovely throw rug, use textures, wool, silky looking, etc. A lovely wooly throw rug that higlights a particular colour will give warmth in winter where a throw rug in a silky sort of material will feel cool in summer. Textures bring that "something else" to a room. Saw on the Net a lovely pair of curtains but what they did was get a ladies scarf, cut it in half and sew onto the curtain so the point go down, looked awesome, the scarf had tassels on it, multi coloured but contrasted with the curtain colour, not saying to do that but showing how texture can add to a room.
June 24, 2014 at 4:58am      Thanked by mariatp
christinanick
Maybe a different lamp if not a plant there in the corner, but a plant would be lovely. Can you lighten up the walls to bring out the white in the new carpet & pillows? Also, stay with the layered idea and add a trio of vases in cream (to highlight pillows and rug) and again a few coffee table accessories like a large coffee table book with a light cover. Another idea would be to choose a different end table, something lighter/glass or round opposed to dark and square. Good job on the rug.
June 24, 2014 at 6:21am        Thanked by mariatp
mariatp
what about three of these vases in different sizes (yellow) under tv?
June 24, 2014 at 8:54am     
christinanick
Yes, try and see if you like them there!
June 24, 2014 at 9:01am     
A Design Eye
rug, rug, rug. Perhaps something with knobby texture to contrast the floor.
June 24, 2014 at 9:09am     
mariatp
Ok...I'll order three vases, right?

A design eye, I posted an updated pic a few comments above with a rug! :) thanks for your suggestions!!
June 24, 2014 at 9:15am   
Tina DiSalvo
Stunning room! I love all the suggestions for you! If I may ask, where did you get the painting? It's gorgeous and really compliments the room.
June 24, 2014 at 9:22am     
mariatp
Thanks Tina! The art is a piece by my husband who is a photographer. It comes in various sizes (if you're interested) :)

What about something like this for under TV? Its 9 inches tall and 6 inches deep and 12 inches wide.
June 24, 2014 at 10:43am   
mariatp
Oh…and what color throw should I get? Does a throw drape on one of the arm rests or on the back?
June 24, 2014 at 10:50am   
mariatp
This is a picture in the daytime...the other one was taken at night and the whole room looks much darker than what it really is!
June 24, 2014 at 10:57am     
I like the new yellow lamp. I think the floor lamp is fine and I don't think you have a room for a palm in that corner with the lamp. The rug is a bit darker than I expected, but it gives the space a cozy look.

I found this yellow fused glass bowl here: https://www.etsy.com/listing/182261091/yellow-blue-black-spiral-fused-art-glass?ref=sr_gallery_2&ga_search_query=yellow+fused+glass+bowl&ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery

When you're looking for decor items--bowls, vases, space fillers--go for the interesting and unique.
June 24, 2014 at 11:30am     
A throw can drape anywhere you want. Play with it till you think it looks good, then let it go when someone pulls it out to use it. ;-)
June 24, 2014 at 11:32am     
mariatp
Thanks @groveraxle! I really like that bowl and it's a great price! I'll order that for the coffee table. Then still need something for under the tv ;)

I agree about the rug and giving the room a much homier vibe...although I resisted, it does look way better!
June 24, 2014 at 11:41am   
christinanick
My feeling with the red piece is that something that dramatic needs a space of its own...I would pass putting it around the TV. JMO
June 24, 2014 at 11:51am     
mariatp
Thanks christinanick! I'll keep searching...having second thoughts about the west elm vases I posted earlier :(
June 24, 2014 at 11:59am   
mariatp
Do any if these throws work? I don't know if I should look for pattern (feel like I have a lot already) or solid? Also I did order the coffee table bowl that Groveraxle suggested...just for color reference
June 24, 2014 at 12:17pm   
flair lighting
poor lamp behind sofa in corner, its a big chunky lamp and it looks small. i think an arch lamp is the best for that spot. the current lamp is just poking out over the sofa in the corner.
June 24, 2014 at 12:18pm        Thanked by mariatp
flair lighting
image.
christinanick
Coffee table inspiration for you.
June 24, 2014 at 12:18pm      Thanked by mariatp
christinanick
Throw....Bottom left, gold! Love it, great color and texture. Or the cream. I have the blue multi, pretty but you won't get the look you want.
June 24, 2014 at 12:20pm      Thanked by mariatp
christinanick
Love the arc lamp idea above from Flair...totally would do that.
June 24, 2014 at 12:22pm        Thanked by mariatp
mariatp
@flairlighting, thanks for your suggestions…do you have a link for the light you photoshopped in?
June 24, 2014 at 1:40pm     
flair lighting
i think you need to measure out how tall and how far it can stick out. b/c i photoshoped it it may not be the right size. how tall does the pole need to be before it bends etc. then we can get the right scale.
June 24, 2014 at 1:46pm        Thanked by mariatp
mariatp
oh ok…the couch back is 30 inches high..and my ceilings are 10 feet i believe.
June 24, 2014 at 1:48pm   
mariatp
I ordered both the cream and gold throw to see them in the space :)…I will update once the bowl and throws arrive! thanks everyone
June 24, 2014 at 1:58pm     
abbyjean
Anxious to see the new items in the room. Love what you are doing here and that art is still a favorite of mine.
June 24, 2014 at 6:34pm     
mariatp
Thanks abbyjean! I'm excited to see it coming together...especially being able to see the before pictures :)
June 24, 2014 at 6:45pm   
Catherine Hantsche
Oh cool great u got some throws, yep nice to use in winter and then just put back again hard with kids and dogs LOL I have 3 little boys and will be using throws when we move in to our new house
June 28, 2014 at 8:07am   
Tina DiSalvo
Your husband is creative! It's a beautiful piece, for sure. How much work/money did it take for a big picture like that? I look forward to new pictures! Your room is coming along nicely. :)
June 28, 2014 at 8:33am   
karen3000
I agree with the others about adding an area rug. Also, an end table with a lamp and accessories would add some height. You can hide the cord (and extension cord) under the sofa.
June 28, 2014 at 9:08am   
christinanick
The area rug that is there is the one she just purchased.
June 28, 2014 at 9:09am   
mariatp
So here is the room with the gold throw and the bowl. I think the bowl may be too small and not the right shade. What do you think? What else do I need?

I also got the cream throw but I haven't even opened it because this one looks great to me!
July 1, 2014 at 3:21pm     
mariatp
I also looked into the arc light suggested but I think it would cover up too much of my art which is my favorite part of the room!
July 1, 2014 at 3:24pm   
Jonah Mitchell
Yes a rug. If you have two large dogs then avoid a white color. And just avoid a high pile rug so it's easy to get the pet hair out.
July 1, 2014 at 3:25pm     
mariatp
Thanks @ jonahMitchell, I've alreAdy added the rug, lamp, throw and centerpiece bowl...see my last comment withe the most recent picture!
July 1, 2014 at 3:28pm   
mariatp
Cream throw...
July 1, 2014 at 3:38pm   
Xaloux
Wow! Your room has come together so well. I love the pops of yellow through the lamp and the bowl and I agree with you there is still something missing on the coffee table perhaps its bc the bowl is too small. Its not dramatic enough.
July 1, 2014 at 3:38pm     
Xaloux
I prefer the gold throw.
July 1, 2014 at 3:39pm     
mariatp
Me too! The cream throw is now on living room (to be worked on later on)!
July 1, 2014 at 3:51pm   
rfgkris1
Mariatp your art is beautiful. Do you mind sharing where you purchased it?
July 1, 2014 at 4:12pm     
Tina DiSalvo
I love the gold throw! It's beautiful! The yellow bowl is a bit too small. Maybe add a few other things to go along with it? Flowers, books, some nature-y knick knacks? Just a few suggestions. :)
July 1, 2014 at 5:24pm     
mariatp
Thank you @rfgkris1! The art is by my husband who is a photographer! You can check out his website if you're interested: www.nissoart.com
July 1, 2014 at 8:33pm   
mariatp
@tina disalvo, I'm debating just not using the bowl and getting something bigger. Since this is our family room, the coffee table is used for kids drinks, toys etc during the day! I'm not sure if I want several small things versus one large one. Any suggestions?
July 1, 2014 at 8:35pm   
abbyjean
Gosh! That golden throw was made for this room!!! And the yellow dish has to work, too......just not on the coffee table. What about the side table or the tv console?
July 1, 2014 at 8:50pm     
christinanick
Love the gold throw too! Bowl is too small. For the coffee table, a big coffee table book is durable, maybe a large basket or larger bowl. Don't get a bunch of little things, spend time and invest in a few larger items to bring in color, texture and of course interest.
July 1, 2014 at 8:57pm   
Designs by Vincenza Interiors, Inc
Hi, everyone has been such a help on this, and it`s really looking good. Seeing the most recent changes; might I suggest Eliminating all the pillows, except the 2 narrow blue, get two more in Yellow/Blue tones, and place 2 on each side. None in middle, and eliminate the throw. It is looking too busy on the couch, and It is competing with the art work. If you can, install art work lighting over picture, paint floor lamp yellow, place a large enough tray on table, that would allow for yellow bowl, and your T.V. accessories, coasters, etc., and lastly if you can, replace your end table with a chunkier style.
July 1, 2014 at 9:12pm     
mariatp
I'll try the tv console in the morning! Is that the right placement for the throw? I do really like if aS well!
July 1, 2014 at 9:15pm   
abbyjean
I think the throw is perfect right where you put it. Easy to sit back with it there, too, and the yellow easily is seen with the art.
July 1, 2014 at 9:21pm     
Designs by Vincenza Interiors, Inc
If you want to keep the throw, try placing it towards the corner furthest from art work, with a couple of pillows in front. Another option would be to allow it to cascade over the arm, it will give it a more livable look, because who`s living room stays perfect with kids? :)
July 1, 2014 at 9:28pm   
Leanne Michael L U X E lifestyle design
Most certainly an area rug is needed. I have dogs too so I understand your dilemma. Just be sure to get a really good quality all wool area rug as it will withstand even the most rigorous of pets. I always keep a bottle of Natures Miracle in the house too for unexpected issues that come about as a pet owner. Perhaps bringing in some tall live trees for the corners placed in large willow branch baskets as well as a few cocktail table books, glass accessories and potted orchids will make the room come to life. Happy designing!
July 1, 2014 at 9:45pm     
mariatp
Thank you for the new suggestions. However, I'm happy with the furniture and just looking to finish the room with accents/decorative pieces! Thanks again for taking the time to help me :)
July 2, 2014 at 6:59am   
mariatp
The bowl gets lost alone under the tv....what else can I put there?
July 2, 2014 at 7:06am     
Leanne Michael L U X E lifestyle design
Why not have your local floral designer make a succulent arrangement for under your tv? I just made a permanent arrangement in a round bowl for one of my clients (see photo). You or your floral designer can find a long rectangle container of sorts in wood, metal or glass and create a beautiful permanent arrangement as that area doesn't appear to get much light on its own for live to survive. That will give the room more texture and color then perhaps place a pair of nice candles flanking the arrangement so the room twinkles. Enjoy!
July 2, 2014 at 8:12am     
sondramartina
Something bothers me in this room. but I cant pin point what it is. I am not sure if it looks gloomy or is it too many straight lines in rug and furniture or something else . It could be just me:)
July 2, 2014 at 8:23am   
mariatp
@leanne, I like that idea!! I hadn't thought about something like that being made for me :) I'll go visit some florist and see what they can do!
July 2, 2014 at 8:31am   
mariatp
@sondra, maybe it's the dark walls and trim but those things I can't change at the moment :(
July 2, 2014 at 8:32am   
.
July 2, 2014 at 8:33am     
mariatp
@grover, can I just buy what you photoshopped in? ;)
July 2, 2014 at 8:44am   
abbyjean
Yes, that yellow did get lost alone under the tv.....was not sure about placing it next to something. LOVE the box placed under the tv.
July 2, 2014 at 9:35am     
mariatp
Me too @abbyjean! Now I just need to know where to get it ;)
July 2, 2014 at 9:38am   
mariatp
I think the size of the bowl is perfect for the side table however, isn't that too much yellow (and different shades) all together?
July 2, 2014 at 9:40am   
christinanick
The bowl is too small. Save your money and get something that "works"! Don't try to make it work because it's the right color.
As for Sondramartina's comment, I have felt the same and the additions are good but I still think the wall are too dark. Can you lighten the art wall and change out the dark brown? Can you add a light fabric chair on the end?
July 2, 2014 at 10:04am     
christinanick
Not sure about that planter under the TV. I would prefer to keep this area simple and clean.
July 2, 2014 at 10:04am   
mariatp
@cristinanick, the walls have some textured finish and run in the family room, eat in kitchen and kitchen and will need to have a lot of work done to repaint (they were like that when we purchased the home a few months back). At this time we don't have it in the budget to do all that work. I will eventually have it sanded and smoothed back out and painted a much lighter color and also lighten up all the trim. I will probably also remove that curtain at that time but for now I have to work with it and find other ways to lighten the room up and bring it out of the brown/beige world!
July 2, 2014 at 10:10am   
christinanick
Totally understand! What ever accessory you decide to put on the table make sure it's substantial...stay away from those discount stores and bring a photo of your room to a place like Pottery Barn or Crate & Barrel or even Room & Board. I love R&B area rugs, pricey but worth every cent.
Keep hunting, it takes so much to put the finishing touches on a room, good luck.
July 2, 2014 at 10:15am   
mariatp
I would love to go to a R&B but they don't have any in south Florida...I only browse online and then get nervous buying without being able to easily return :(
July 2, 2014 at 10:21am   
Gail Dunning
Didn't I see a pic with a large bank of windows behind the couch? It can't be that dark.

My personal experience is that too many small things detract from the overall look. I would get a big basket that would hold all the remotes, kid stuff that tends to accumulate.

I think you should add an art light over the beautiful photograph.

You have a very nice room and I like the colors you chose from the art.
July 2, 2014 at 10:32am   
mariatp
Thank you @gail! The room isn't so dark and it does have the back wall with French doors and windows but I guess I'm just not fond of the darker walls and trim!

We are also under construction adding a pool and were changing th existing pavers to travertine light colored ones, so I think that will help also!
July 2, 2014 at 10:36am   
christinanick
Wow! Very nice!
July 2, 2014 at 10:40am   
mariatp
Oh and there's also very heavy dark drapes that I can't remove because there will be holes in that wall (from the loops or pulls or whatever those strings are called) and since the walls have texture (another faux type finish) I can't just fill them and paint over them.
July 2, 2014 at 10:40am   
LA Furniture Store
I agree with most of the suggestions that were made earlier about adding rug. The room looks a little dark and a nice bright colored rug will help to add color to it. There is more rugs I found at this link: http://www.lafurniturestore.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=VGWF&dir=asc&order=relevance&x=20&y=16
July 2, 2014 at 10:41am   
mariatp
Picture of windows behind couch
July 2, 2014 at 10:45am   
Need help with living room layout
Just moved into this place and need decor ideas for...
Help with Door & Shutter Paint Color!!!!
We just purchased a new front door for our home, which...
No door on our bathroom! How would you add one?
The house we're buying has a master bathroom with no...
Please help me with my bedroom
Hi, I'm moving house and am trying to design a gold,...
Need idea for wall plates on my glass tile kitchen backsplash
Installed a 2x6 brick pattern glass blacksplace (color...