POLL: Biggest Garden Menace?
While you may encounter and be menaced by several of these things, which one is the biggest annoyance in your own garden?

VOTE and tell us about it in the comments!
Snails Snail
Caterpillars
Aphids
Gophers / Moles Gopher
Other - Tell us below!
RMMR Projects
Those little snails are too cute, but eating my basil up is making me hate them. Good luck to all you gardeners out there!
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    June 6, 2014 at 4:34PM
Jessica
Woodchucks, deer, and squirrels.
14 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    June 6, 2014 at 4:38PM
marylise
Deer...beautiful but boy can they destroy the gardens!
6 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    June 6, 2014 at 6:48PM
adivra
I live in an HOA and am on the Board. I fight with landscapers and with other board members regarding the use of chemicals. Critters are good! When we see them it means the landscape is healthy. When they over produce it means the landscape is out of balance and that is often caused by excessive water. Yes, critters can do a lot of damage. As an aside, I put out a hummingbird feeder several days ago and have yet to see one. In years past I might have been hiding from dive bombing hummingbirds. Aphids produce food for catterpillars, then butterflys, etc...Even gophers aerate the soil. Let's be cautious about eradicating "pests" or treating them as menaces.
26 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    June 7, 2014 at 2:20AM
Angie Smith
Chipmunks....adorable but they dig everywhere!
8 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    June 7, 2014 at 4:00AM
Whoo Hooo adivra- I have healthy landscape;) I have them all listed above and then some.
4 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    June 7, 2014 at 4:05AM
printesa
Japanese beetles are really annoying. It got a bit better, but I waiting this year to see if they come again. The roses are being eaten until there is nothing left out of them.
Deers are nice, but they come and eat in the spring all the tulips and now I see they started munching on some sedum. I sprayed with some organic, non-toxic solution on them and they seem to be left alone,,not sure for how long.
Chipmunks may be cute, but they eat the strawberries and when tomatoes start to ripe, they will start on those as well.
6 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    June 7, 2014 at 4:30AM
Jessica
Advira, the lack of hummingbirds you are seeing is due to the habitat damage caused by hurricane Katrina if you are on the east coast and looking for ruby throats. These hummers migrate across the gulf of Mexico every year and usually tank up on food in Mississippi and Louisiana before making the crossing. The hurricane wiped out hundreds of miles of wild habitat and man made gardens so the past years the food supply they require simply has been nonexistent. People rebuild their own homes before they worry about putting in a garden that would feed the hummer birds.
    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    June 7, 2014 at 5:24AM
adivra
Jessica, I was not aware of that, and I do feel for those whose gardens are decimated by pests. I'm all for control, just not killing everything in sight. Here in southern CA we're dealing with drought.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    June 7, 2014 at 9:06AM
Belahn
I have A LOT of chipmunks and rabbits who eat all my flowers. Deer only come in the fall and winter but they decimate everything. I have all kinds of animals that come to my yard, even a fox and a some wild pigs. I put food out for all the critters as well as birds because I enjoy watching them so that is probably one reason they come around. They were all there before I started feeding but they have multiplied. A lot of people will tell you to kill animals but that doesn't solve the problem because there will always be more and even if it did solve the problem, I am not about to kill animals who are only trying to live and be what they are. SO, I have found the solution that I would like to share with all of you. Plantskydd. You can order it online or find it at a garden supply. What it actually is, is pig's blood. I know that is gross and it smell repulsive, but it works. It is natural and after it dissipates into the air for a day or so I can't smell it but boy they must because nothing has been eaten since I applied it about a month ago. All the flowers have come back. I also sprayed it around some areas I did not want holes to be dug and it seems to have worked. I also found a fake rattlesnake that I put in the flower bed. Might be helping. Some people say fake owls work as well as snakes so these are some things to consider. Before the blood I tried all kinds of things like garlic and cayenne pepper but they didn't work. Try the blood for deer, rabbits and chipmunks.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    June 7, 2014 at 1:29PM
chambers1589
All your tomatoes belong to me!
24 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    June 7, 2014 at 1:35PM
bluenan
Definitely deer in the landscape but squash bugs in the garden, I just can't kill those suckers.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    June 7, 2014 at 2:36PM
wlegro
On Kaua`i - wild boars. In Los Angeles - skunks and raccoons. All three dig up everything you plant and the spaces between. And if you go after them, the skunks skunk you, the raccoons can tear you up and give you rabies, and the pigs can kill you. Compared to these four-legged earthmovers, bugs are child's play. Sorry to say.
3 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    June 7, 2014 at 10:36PM
bino
How come slugs didn't make the shortlist? They're a real menace.
6 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    June 8, 2014 at 2:00AM
52grace
The deer are behaving but the waddling groundhog must sleep very well because he ate all my chamomile.
3 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    June 8, 2014 at 4:41AM
liesnjests
Definitely deer. Winter, Spring, Summer or Fall they are eating machines.
9 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    June 8, 2014 at 4:52AM
Deer and gophers were impossible when we lived in the CA hills. In Ohio we haven't had a problem with pests in our garden. We have plenty of squirrels and chipmunks, but they don't hurt anything. Instead, our own dogs are our biggest garden pests. As puppies they thought hostas were just big comfy nests to jump into; as adults they tear up the grass when they wrestle with each other, and in winter when the drip watering system in the garden beds is partially exposed they consider it a chew toy.
3 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    June 8, 2014 at 5:01AM
cathyjoyce
The fire ants here in Halifax, Nova Scotia, on the peninsula, have resulted in ppl leaving their yards to go "wild". As most chemicals are banned, it requires all neighbours agree to use the ONE allowed - a tough sell!
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    June 8, 2014 at 5:05AM
watsoncrenshaw
Our dog. She sits in our plants, her urin makes the grass die, she digs in all the flowerbeds!
3 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    June 8, 2014 at 6:27AM
kathmath1
Voles! Moles eat bugs, but voles are worse here in western NC because they eat the roots of plants in my garden.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    June 8, 2014 at 7:21AM
btaylor10
Deer. In the winter, they eat the cedars. Cedars are like cocaine for deer! In the summer, they come to the salad bar (a.k.a. flower borders) and nibble on hostas and many of the plants that "experts" say they won't eat.
That being said, we live in a semi rural area to enjoy the wildlife and, quite frankly, if we do put out the salad bar, we should expect some visitors. I must say that I smiled last summer as I watched a tiny fawn relish my sky blue petunias.
5 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    June 8, 2014 at 8:07AM
Thom Spillane
All of the above plus woodchucks we just can't seem to get rid of them our garden is now well fenced in and keeps them out but we now have four of them. We tried traps but apparently their to smart for this. Does anyone have any ideas. I'm going to go Bill Murray ( cadyshack) on them soon. Lol
    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    June 8, 2014 at 8:55AM
Sharon Gibson
Deer, rabbits and chipmunks.
    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    June 8, 2014 at 9:49AM
Denise Garcia
Grasshoppers..........hate them!
3 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    June 8, 2014 at 10:29AM
hayesnikki
Ticks because of the Lyme disease. Blec!
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    June 8, 2014 at 11:51AM
suzannebeach
Deer in the garden. Carpenter bees/ants in the outside living area.
    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    June 8, 2014 at 12:27PM
Joseph Martinez
Squirrels. Everything I plant in my background gets half-way dug up by squirrels.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    June 8, 2014 at 12:35PM
gwnorth
Rabbits! They are cute and I always liked seeing them in the yard, but we finally had our backyard professionally landscaped last spring and they are a problem. It doesn't help that I know there is one living under the deck. This past winter we had so much snow that they managed to get to my Japanese maple fairly high up. They also eat my hostas, ornamental grasses, and salvia (which they are not supposed to like). I'm torn because I don't want to hurt them, I just wish they would go eat the neighbour's vegetable patch instead lol.
3 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    June 8, 2014 at 12:38PM
gwnorth: If you let your lawn develop lots of clover, the rabbits will eat the clover instead of your hostas and flowers. At least that's what they do in our yard.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    June 8, 2014 at 12:45PM
clme
Slugs!! ate the majority of the tomatoes last year!
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    June 8, 2014 at 1:00PM
traditionalbetty
Rose slugs ( aka sawflies)- those tiny green worms that eat the leaves of roses until they look skeletal. Oh, and i can't forget to mention the black bear that tore out a top grafted juniper!
    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    June 8, 2014 at 1:39PM
Emily Frazier
I have 20 month old twin boys. So, my current answer is them. They keep picking non ripe fruit, taking a bite, and throwing it on the ground. Does anyone have toddler repellant?
9 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    June 8, 2014 at 2:07PM
sbhackney
Deer. I used to think they were wonderful until they ate everything one year!
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    June 8, 2014 at 3:50PM
50sanober
Squirrel
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    June 8, 2014 at 4:31PM
alexatiffany
Marmots!! They are eating my beans and flowers.
    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    June 8, 2014 at 6:33PM
almca
Bush Turkeys! Scratch and toss mulch around then when it comes to nesting time build a big mound metres across. This year we have one that is harassing the chooks, trying to convince them he is Romeo, despite his antics, including inflating his bright red and yellow collar they are not convinced...he is clearly no rooster!
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    June 8, 2014 at 7:14PM
Rachel Thompson
My gardens are most bothered by rabbits!
    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    June 8, 2014 at 8:26PM
Rachel Thompson
carolinagur1
DEER!!!! They eat EVERYTHING! Milorganite is my best friend!
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    June 8, 2014 at 8:51PM
owlasoc
I battle with skunks every spring. Apparently my lawn has lots of grubs in it, and the skunks dig all over the place. It looks like a really bad golfer has been taking tee shots!
    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    June 8, 2014 at 8:59PM
Trish Selby
Slugs.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    June 8, 2014 at 9:42PM
Tess Presswell
Bush Turkeys! The Australian gardener - or so they think! They steal mulch and dig up veges! Gotta go I'm afraid...
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    June 9, 2014 at 1:31AM
Jessica
Owlasoc you reminded me that another big garden pest in the deep South and Southwest is what my ex used to call "armor diggers" aka armadillos. They will tear up an amazing amount of turf and garden in a night searching for the grubs and worms they eat and they are the only things that eat the fire ants. They also carry leprosy!
    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    June 9, 2014 at 2:44AM
Diane Westin
Deer are our biggest problem. We have found a repellent that seems to be working but it has taken several years to do so.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    June 9, 2014 at 3:39AM
champagneshane
Here at our home in West Yorkshire in the UK it's slugs that are the biggest problem! They eat EVERYTHING!
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    June 9, 2014 at 10:03AM
martyowens
Squirrels dig up everything. And when peppers or tomatoes appear, they take a bite out of each one. Blood meal sprinkled around helps but must be reapplied after each rain.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    June 9, 2014 at 10:22AM
bungalowmo
Whatever those bugs are that love my rose bushes!!!
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    June 9, 2014 at 10:59AM
Jeffrey Brooks Interior Design
My neighbors.
3 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    June 9, 2014 at 4:47PM
Molly
Lubbers: the mutant-sized-all-devouring-no-known-predators-except-for-my-boot-heel grasshoppers. They show up in March, grow to gargantuan proportions in no time and don't die off until late September. Ugh. Not only do they eat my vegetation they sit on my porch steps for no other reason than to scare the bejebus out of me.
2 Likes    Bookmark   June 9, 2014 at 6:53PM
Studio M Interior Design
I'm going with "other" in favor of another option: my dogs! They seem to love it and I always have to shoo them out of there :)
    Bookmark   June 9, 2014 at 7:35PM
grobby
It's the deer! I have given up and given them ownership. When I leave the house they look up at me as if to say, " have a good trip, we'll be here when you get back," I'm down to three plants they don't eat, Ferns, Baptisia and Shasta Daisies.
2 Likes    Bookmark   June 9, 2014 at 8:41PM
blrussell
Rabbits
    Bookmark   June 10, 2014 at 6:32PM
Belahn
I'm telling you, try plantskydd. It works on deer, rabbits and chipmunks and it does not have to be re-applied after rain.
1 Like    Bookmark   June 10, 2014 at 8:36PM
bungalowmo
Slugs!!!

I never find them in my gardens, but I do find them....ahem...having slug sex on the side of my porch steps! Don't know why, but there they are...in twos at least once per week.
2 Likes    Bookmark   June 11, 2014 at 10:18AM
DSC DesignWorks
Slugs!
2 Likes    Bookmark   June 11, 2014 at 11:34AM
anneowl
I agree it has to be slugs. A couple of years ago we had a really wet summer and some of the slugs were enormous, up to 15-20 cm long. Ugh!!
2 Likes    Bookmark   June 11, 2014 at 1:31PM
fissfiss
My neighbor who feeds the skunks, deer, woodchucks, Canada geese and seagulls!
    Bookmark   June 11, 2014 at 1:47PM
lellogirl
Bunnies. Hungry, hungry bunnies.
    Bookmark   June 11, 2014 at 2:25PM
chookchook2
Don't like my roses getting eaten as I like to give them to people.
2 Likes    Bookmark   June 11, 2014 at 3:12PM
fixeruppergirl
Aphids
    Bookmark   June 11, 2014 at 3:38PM
ajkelly5
Deer!!! They can ravage the whole yard in just one night!
1 Like    Bookmark   June 18, 2014 at 6:14PM
Susan
Giant slugs, rabbits, gophers, and tent caterpillars. Some years we have a minor problem with aphids. I have attached a photo of one of the larger slugs, although I have seen them larger than the one in the pic.
4 Likes    Bookmark   June 18, 2014 at 6:53PM
tradhome
Slugs! They show up at sunset,eat everythubg and leave devastation. Almost no predators.
2 Likes    Bookmark   June 18, 2014 at 11:26PM
tradhome
Snakes eat them...the kids and I witnessed this once .
1 Like    Bookmark   June 18, 2014 at 11:28PM
Jocelyn Colvin-Donald
Deer and rabbits
    Bookmark   June 19, 2014 at 8:50AM
Susan
tradhome, We have found a way to keep them under control in our garden. Take shallow flower pot plates, and put them in strategic areas of your garden(near plants that attract slugs). Make the plates level with the soil, and fill with beer. You won't believe how many you catch. They can't get out. I won't lie to you...it's gross. But my husband cleans it up, and puts them back with fresh beer every couple days. If they are on your concrete, you can salt them, and they will shrivel up and die.
    Bookmark   June 19, 2014 at 12:58PM
Jocelyn Colvin-Donald
For the deer and rabbits, I found the hottest hot sauce (made with either habaneros, scotch bonnets or ghost peppers), put into a spray bottle with water and a few drops of dish soap. Spray on the leaves and around the ground of my hostas. They can't handle the spicy taste
1 Like    Bookmark   June 20, 2014 at 5:20AM
tw123456
Weeds in the yard, and birds eating our cherries, ruin peaches on trees, black berries..... ;0((
    Bookmark   June 29, 2014 at 6:09AM
tw123456
fissfiss, Your neighbor feeds skunks?, that is a little too crazy!!
2 Likes    Bookmark   June 29, 2014 at 6:13AM
Tracy Taylor
Slugs... they eat holes in my Hostas... I hate them, but I rarely see them, just their damage.
1 Like    Bookmark   June 29, 2014 at 10:24AM
jrward2
My husband.
9 Likes    Bookmark   June 29, 2014 at 12:38PM
Susan
LOL! Thank you, jrward2...you just gave me a good laugh.
2 Likes    Bookmark   June 29, 2014 at 1:44PM
Cyndy
Raccoons manage to reach everything and tear through everything! I finally bought wire bird feeders and so far, so good.
1 Like    Bookmark   July 1, 2014 at 5:06PM
Susan
Yesterday we had a new garden menace. We have this cool old log in our backyard landscaping. I heard all this noise that I assumed was my husband working. When I went to the window to check, it wasn't him, but a Pileated Woodpecker going to town on this log. He managed to take large chunks out of the wood. I tried to get a photo, but none clear enough, as I didn't want to scare it away.
2 Likes    Bookmark   July 6, 2014 at 11:40AM
chanros
Ticks, deers, and mud daubers wasps.
    Bookmark   July 9, 2014 at 6:31PM
vtforme
My 90 pound Gordon Setter... plus rabbits, deer, moles. Came home from work 1 day to admire my last remaining tulip. Next day it was limp and bent over... checked it out to find the bulb had been eaten and it was no longer attached.
2 Likes    Bookmark   July 13, 2014 at 3:41AM
fbculp
Chiggers! I am covered with itchy red spots after a brief stint in my back yard. Agggghhh!
1 Like    Bookmark   July 13, 2014 at 3:43AM
lcsteadley
Armadillos!!!
1 Like    Bookmark   July 13, 2014 at 4:48AM
193740
need solutions to getting rid of groundhogs What works?
    Bookmark   July 13, 2014 at 5:09AM
chrisbaswell
Deer! Moving into a village and a property with paved streets and sidewalks on all sides, I thought I'd never deal with them again. Wrong! They wait until the early hours then stroll up the sidewalks and into my garden. A costly wood fence now offers a little relief.
    Bookmark   July 13, 2014 at 5:22AM
redecoratingtropicalcalm
I'm having problems with flea beetles - they are having a feast on my radishes. fortunately they aren't spreading to any other vegetables so I've decided to make the radishes the sacrificial crop and spray home made hot pepper spray on everything else in trying to contain them. So far it's working out well.
    Bookmark   July 13, 2014 at 5:33AM
Christina Espinosa
Fire ants and snails/slugs! But to deal with them pretty effectively, I put used coffee grounds around where I don't want the slugs, and diatomaceous earth in ant mounds and their lines. Only thing is, I have to reapply any time it rains.
1 Like    Bookmark   July 13, 2014 at 5:36AM
Christina Espinosa
Btw, diatomaceous earth will kill any type of bug....
    Bookmark   July 13, 2014 at 5:37AM
Monique Barrow
Ants!
3 Likes    Bookmark   July 13, 2014 at 5:53AM
camorison
We don't live in the country but in a suburban neighborhood and we have groundhogs, chipmunks,,and moles runs all over our yard. Voles ate our hostas from underground so we won't plant them again. This year we put up a tall fence to keep the deer out and that does seem to be working! We used to have a fox sun himself in our backyard. The groundhog still gets in and is eating weeds as well as our flowers. Guess we have to share nature with nature!
1 Like    Bookmark   July 13, 2014 at 6:53AM
4megarama
Cottontails and Jack rabbits....
    Bookmark   July 13, 2014 at 7:05AM
Peggy
Slugs !!!! They eat through all my hostas. And the idea of putting out stale beer so they drown in it overnight and then deal with it in the morning is completely disgusting.
    Bookmark   July 13, 2014 at 7:10AM
makaloco
Grasshoppers eat my basil and ants attack my fruit trees.
    Bookmark   July 13, 2014 at 7:15AM
suecan47
Raccoons
    Bookmark   July 13, 2014 at 7:19AM
Rhonda Bovine
Deer & rabbits have ravaged my vegetable garden as their favorite buffet. Japanese beetles are beginning to hurt the roses. Grrr.
    Bookmark   July 13, 2014 at 7:55AM
Dot Jones
CHIGGERS! I would do a lot more work in the garden except I have CHIGGER PHOBIA!!!
    Bookmark   July 13, 2014 at 8:01AM
geoffsilva
Squirrels!
1 Like    Bookmark   July 13, 2014 at 8:41AM
geremydoc
Rabbits
    Bookmark   July 13, 2014 at 8:52AM
gezellig
Home Owner Association!
We have water rationing in Dallas Texas and decided that 3 crape myrtle trees in a mulch bed would make a beautiful statement for the 33 feet long by 10 feet deep zero lot line front of the home. The neighborhood "rulers" explained that we have lousy taste and then changed the deed restrictions making bare ground and/or mulch not acceptable! Try explaining to landscapers that your HOA prohibits mulch!!!
    Bookmark   July 13, 2014 at 9:29AM
arrbe
Chipmunks, squirrels, voles, moles, slugs. My husband just found out that they don't like daffodils so we'll plant more. So far they have eaten our hosta plants, stargazer lilies, other day lilies, even some monkey grass and Indian Hawthorne shrubs. Sharp stones under the flower bed is the most popular answer.
    Bookmark   July 13, 2014 at 10:04AM
bbd48
Slugs crawled into the drainage hole in the pot with our thriving, beautiful tomato plant. Finished it off before we came back from a few days away! Grrr
    Bookmark   July 13, 2014 at 10:09AM
craftman1916
if i could vote for gophers 10x's I would!!
    Bookmark   July 13, 2014 at 11:42AM
funny face
Moles and slugs. ugh.
    Bookmark   July 13, 2014 at 11:55AM
74corralitos
By far gophers & voles. My husband says we have a gopher farm!!! He has tried every kind of pellet, gas and trap. Even had professionals out to take a look. Really sad that they have ruined our lawn. Also have a problem with rabbits but that seems to be the lesser of two evils.
    Bookmark   July 13, 2014 at 12:19PM
pbarsky
.My vote is against squirrels and gophers. My neighbor has a squirrel eat through an electrical in the roof area and caused a fire which caused about half the house to burn before firefighters got to it. Now a year later after dealing with insurance companies they are finally rebuilding. When I was a child, a squirrel ate through our slate roof. The animal control made us catch them in traps and release them at least 15 miles away. My husband also was bitten by one when he was a child. On top of this I cannot put out bird feeders because it attracts the squirrels Now for my current problem. I have gopher digger under my front door steps. I have done everything recommended but poison him. I'm open to suggestions.
    Bookmark   July 13, 2014 at 12:45PM
KathyK
Deer - 6-7 often roam in the yard, looking for treats. They will not eat the striped hostas, but will eat the solid ones.
1 Like    Bookmark   July 13, 2014 at 1:06PM
Heather Magee
Deers and rabbits...eat pretty much anything we plant except rhubarb, herbs, red currents and maybe zucchini plants...everything else is usually eaten...:(
    Bookmark   July 13, 2014 at 1:14PM
maidenchina
chipmunks!! They tunneled underneath our asphalt driveway and left a huge hole right in the center of it.
    Bookmark   July 13, 2014 at 1:20PM
38nrush
Squirrels-the worst of all! ... and June bug larvae
1 Like    Bookmark   July 13, 2014 at 2:31PM
John Gorla
Japanese Beetles have been the scourge of my crape myrtles. Can't get a decent show of blooms.
    Bookmark   July 13, 2014 at 5:21PM
redecoratingtropicalcalm
wow ok I vote HOA's - how can one spend a lifetime (well a nice chunk anyway) paying a mortgage to have a "committee of those who feel they know better what you should do to your property" guess that's why we chose to live off the grid on 5.5 archers of our own well groomed mulched land. No one is telling me that I have to plant specific varieties. Not my cup of tea at all.
    Bookmark   July 13, 2014 at 5:40PM
hidesertkath
Actually, I wish we had an HOA that enforced the rules. In our community it appears the rules are only for those who would keep their places up anyway.
    Bookmark   July 13, 2014 at 5:57PM
Danielle Boydston Lawrence
I used to love the chipmunks when we moved in 18 months ago. I thought they were so adorable after moving to the burbs from city living. Now I am findings self gritting my teeth as they are quickly losing their luster. My husband is ready to drown them all as they hAve not only torn up our lawn and garden but are finding their way into our garage and attic during colder months. I don't have the heart to kill them though. The woods is every bit as much their home as mine :( although last I checked they weren't contributing to the mortgage! Oh, slugs on hostas....naaaaasty!!!
1 Like    Bookmark   July 13, 2014 at 6:59PM
maryfuller123
I live in Oregon. Slugs!!!!!!
    Bookmark   July 13, 2014 at 8:45PM
lusuzi
Cucumber beetles!!! Infestation
    Bookmark   July 13, 2014 at 8:50PM
janetharness
Chiggers. The small grass living parasites that attack NE Kansas gardeners with no restraint, making it misery to have worked in the garden.
    Bookmark   July 13, 2014 at 8:50PM
najeebah1
Wow! Reading these, I feel really lucky!! None of these are that prevalent where I live.
We do get snails, occasionally, but they're small and don't do damage.
Aphids are probably the biggest problem, as they eat from our fig tree, but even that isn't so bad because they don't eat all.
    Bookmark   July 14, 2014 at 4:00AM
scmcmillan14
Deer!!
    Bookmark   July 14, 2014 at 7:00AM
msgrits69
Our biggest bug problem was leaf leg bugs! The young look kind of like red aphids and the adults look kind of like stinkbugs. Took forever to identify these we have still not found an effective control!!
    Bookmark   July 14, 2014 at 7:20AM
honeyfly
My son grew a ladybug family as part of a daycare science experiment and it helped our problem with aphids....marigolds and chicken manure helped with rabbits but we have pesky squirrels that I've yet to find a solution for...
2 Likes    Bookmark   July 14, 2014 at 7:27AM
donnatu
GRASSHOPERS!
    Bookmark   July 14, 2014 at 8:16AM
dawners1963
GOPHERS dig and tunnel and tear up your yard. Established plants are here today and dying tomorrow. However after many discussions on garden threads, we discovered dog hair, urine, traps, poisons, fumigating tunnels, are not great answers. I found something that does work, real well, as long as you do it every three or 4 months, in the watering season. Jalapenos. Dollar store sells big cans. Throw them in a blender add some water, a little oil so it lingers longer and spread around your plant roots, water it down deep and voila. They don't like that Capsicum. Do you? You can also fertilize and add things to it, to improve soil. I spray the leaves with the juice and oil spray from the garden shop and insects and rabbits don't like it either. Plants have not responded in any negative way either.
    Bookmark   July 14, 2014 at 9:27AM
millshaf
rabbits- we have a huge problem and cannot get them to stop digging and eating the yard. We live on a Phoenix Mountainside (not suburb either!) and the front yard is completely burrowed and eaten up. We tried motion sensing water sprayers....they just get used to it and enjoy the shower! we put owl statues - they worked about a week then the rabbits figured that out. The HOA hates our yard and can we cannot fix it. Does the Jalepenos solution work on them?
    Bookmark   July 14, 2014 at 11:38AM
Republic Gardens
Those little gophers are monsters!! The burrow and leave gaping holes around trees. It's not uncommon in my neighborhood to see five or six piles of dirt in one yard. We've taken to stuffing mothballs in their holes and then filling them up. Something that has helped the backyard is a dog that constantly hunts them down.
    Bookmark   July 14, 2014 at 2:54PM
dimomz
skunks, deer,rock squirrels and an occasional armadillo. The skunks dig everywhere for grub worms and the deer poop everywhere besides eat all the plants as was said before plants that aren't part of their diet. The big drought is making all green things acceptable.
    Bookmark   July 14, 2014 at 3:35PM
Pam Rogers
Bison, no really. I live 4 miles from Yellowstone Park. There is a great big one that camps out in our back yard. It takes only a few seconds for him to demolish our small trees.
3 Likes    Bookmark   July 14, 2014 at 3:37PM
betd
I have it all (except the bison), love that one. We have rabbits, gophers, chipmunks, squirrels, wild turkey,skunks. fox and deer to name a few. All of the above snails and catapillars, deer ticks, Japanese beetles and ground bees (this year). Some years we get wildlife that moves in for a year or two and then disappears and sometimes they just stay.
1 Like    Bookmark   July 14, 2014 at 3:50PM
sethson
I've just discovered that the mounds in parts of my garden are either gophers or moles - haven't seen any bodies yet, but their digs are popping up everywhere. I have resorted to natural remedies that I learned about on the web; one is "used" cat litter for placing over the openings and the tailings - apparently moles have a morbid fear of cats; in case my guys are gophers, I just ordered a powdered form of castor oil, suggested by HGTV gardeners, as something gophers cannot stand. I will never resort to killing whatever it is in my yard, but hopefully they will find better food sources in some vacant field soon.
    Bookmark   July 14, 2014 at 3:56PM
jwsheets
Armadillos are tearing up our yard. There are holes everywhere!
    Bookmark   July 15, 2014 at 12:29PM
hudgins
Skunks are driving us crazy! When they spray you can even smell it inside the house.
    Bookmark   July 15, 2014 at 1:02PM
pijut
SLUGS!!! To get rid of them I give them beer in which they drown themselves; thank God they are not beer connoisseurs and enjoy the cheapest brand that I can find. I used to have skunk problems, but live trapped them and let them try to swim in their cage.
    Bookmark   July 15, 2014 at 7:34PM
Tony McIntyre
My dogs!
1 Like    Bookmark   July 16, 2014 at 11:07AM
valwienmcd
I have snails that hide under my shed during the day and come out to eat my garden at night. I have two varieties. My neighbor suggested putting poison all around the shed but I have other animals I don't want to kill. I don't know, salt? I also have problems with aphids and have tried ladybugs and other home remedies, but to no avail. They love my roses.
    Bookmark   July 17, 2014 at 4:16PM
FatCat
We were called in to irradicate (shoot) roos from properties not only because they eat every crop around, but one poor family couldn't go into their garden without a 6 footer bailing them up. He wasn't wasted at least; made good eating they told me.
    Bookmark   July 18, 2014 at 6:48PM
joancook
Japanese beetles! They are nasty and defoliate many flowering plants in July.
1 Like    Bookmark   July 19, 2014 at 4:57AM
tw123456
Fatcat, what is/are roos?
    Bookmark   July 26, 2014 at 7:14AM
dawners1963
Are you talking about Kangaroos?
    Bookmark   July 26, 2014 at 10:46PM
dawners1963
Milshaf we don't have bunnies eat our plants anymore, but they used to, so maybe. I also use something else that kept the bunnies at Bay. It was something that a Garden nursery owner told me is a trade secret, called MILORGANITE, it keeps a lot of critters away if they are around it. It has coyote or some other wild predatory animal's urine as part of the ingredient and it comes in granules. It is also a fertilizer. I put it around my beds and near the place of entry into my plantings where they were. They did stay away and the granules last a while unless you have a lot of rain. I live in the desert, so no problem here.
    Bookmark   July 26, 2014 at 10:53PM
Suzanne
Until I moved to acreage on the side of a mountain I had never heard of Mountain Beavers... Super destructive herbivores, and dumb. They keep walking in front of my rifle. They took out about $500 worth of perennials in a matter of hours.
The deer I just shoo off.
    Bookmark   August 5, 2014 at 4:49PM
sethson
Did you have to post a photo of a dead animal? Very inhumane.
    Bookmark   August 6, 2014 at 3:15PM
Dawson & Clinton
Snails hands down, they're eat so much of my garden for being such little guys.
    Bookmark   August 6, 2014 at 3:22PM
Suzanne
Sethson, he isn't dead, only taking a nap...
    Bookmark   August 6, 2014 at 5:27PM
kathrynecheng
Ants, and a wily rat!
    Bookmark   October 7, 2014 at 3:50PM
FurreverYours
Agreed...ants are a nuisance since they love my fruit trees but I guess I can't blame them! :) #BeSeenBeSafe
1 Like    Bookmark   October 7, 2014 at 4:25PM
sandystopps
Millipedes are leaving the outside areas and coming INSIDE. Find about a dozen each day that have found their way inside. What to do, what to do.
    Bookmark   October 9, 2014 at 8:45AM
tw123456
Sethson, are you for real? LOL!
    Bookmark   October 9, 2014 at 11:06AM
AspenFalls custom design and landscape
Colorado- deers, squirrels, rabbits
    Bookmark   October 9, 2014 at 1:31PM
Your biggest layout pet peeve?
We've all got them. What's your biggest pet peeve...
How old is your house
A.................2011-2013 B......................2008-2010 C.......................2007-2008 ...
designideas4me
POLL: Do you love your house?
Does it fill you with warm, fuzzy feelings? Does your...
POLL: Favorite alternative to curtains?
What's your favorite alternative to having curtains?...
Houzz Polls
POLL: Do you have an Inspiration Board - Yes or No
Being surrounded by work that inspires is such an important...
Jackie Barr
New home design help using charcoal gray and color.
We are having a house built and we are due to pick...
Rebekha Pailliotet
Window treatment suggestions?
Hi Houzzers, should mention the eating area will be...
Melissa Felber
Master bath remodel what you guys think?
should i put glass enclosures or not?
Manny Rosario
Please tell me what black paint would be best for My bedroom walls.
I really want to remodel my bedroom by painting the...
iliana123
Help with my new bathroom.
We have built a new master suite, the bathroom is 9x11,...
ncfl