POLL: Spice rack vs. Spice drawer
June 6, 2014 in Polls
There seems to be two main ways people handle spice storage in their kitchens. Which do you prefer?

VOTE and tell us about it in the comments!
Spice Rack
Spice Drawer
Other - Tell us below!
catlady999
2-tiered small carousel in wall cabinet by stove. I can easily spin it to find what I want, while there is still space for larger containers such as dried onion bits, baking powder, salt for adding to water/refilling shakers.
June 6, 2014 at 5:31PM        Thanked by Emily Hurley
myownstyle13
Have a big spice drawer next to my cooktop and loooove it!
June 6, 2014 at 5:49PM     
shars55
I keep mine on a spinning carousel in my pantry.
June 6, 2014 at 5:53PM     
kpappal
I have my spices divided between two cabinets, one on either side of my stove. The cabinet on one side holds all of my baking supplies and spices. My husband made wooden racks that resemble stairs, that are the same width of the cabinet so I can see the spices - three rows deep. The cabinet on the other side of the stove holds cooking spices, like Old Bay, chicken seasonings, oregano, etc.
I like the convenience of having the spices divided.
June 6, 2014 at 6:40PM     
adivra
Love my drawer. IKEA racks included. This holds in one space what used to be in a drawer, on lazy susans in a cabinet and on the counter. Can I say LOVE again?
June 7, 2014 at 1:58AM     
Jessica
Spice everywhere. (Sigh) if I have a rack I use it to hold the spice jars that are consistent in shape and size. My spice drawer holds the spice boxes and odd sized jars. My upper cabinet holds the bulk spices, salt, etc. Salt and pepper grinders on the table...
June 7, 2014 at 5:30AM     
Lauren Hartman
I voted other since my favorite method is to use magnets to store spice jars on a wall or inside a cabinet somewhere, similar to here http://www.amybites.com/?p=2775.

Barring that though I'd opt for shelves.
June 7, 2014 at 8:28AM     
Kevin Strader
I voted for a rack. We have a 9" wide full height base cabinet with full pull out next to our stove. Perfect location when cooking. You can see part of it in this picture.
June 7, 2014 at 2:09PM     
thebruers
Spice drawer. I bought 3 chrome spice rack drawer inserts from amazon & I LOVE them. My spice drawer is right next to my cooktop, making it easy to grab what I need or decide to add an extra pinch of something quickly.
My parents are currently designing their retirement home. After seeing my spice drawer, my mom is making room for one in her new kitchen!
June 8, 2014 at 4:25AM     
salina5
Other - I use two small wooden wine boxes I dragged back from France (set on their sides atop each other on the counter, not near enough to the stove to get even warm), but you may also be able to get a couple from a local liquor store.
June 8, 2014 at 4:55AM     
Kim Schlossberg
We built a shallow but large spice cabinet between the studs near our food prep island. I love it - it holds a ton of spices, all organized and easy to find. Bonus - the bottom shelf is a little taller, so I can store all the things that used to clutter the countertop: salt & pepper, olive oil bottle, butter in the winter.
June 8, 2014 at 5:35AM     
tsudhonimh
I have a standard 30 or 36" upper cabinet next to the stove. And it's full of spices
June 8, 2014 at 6:06AM     
lisainevanston
Now I have a lazy susan in an upper cabinet near my stove, convenient for the nearly 50 bottles, which I keep in alpha order. But the two upper shelves are getting harder to reach as I get older. I have been thinking of drawers next to the stove for my new kitchen. Two questions for those of you who have them: does the heat effect the spice quality? Do the bottles spin arround as you open and close the drawer so you can't see the labels and you have to adjust them all the time?
June 8, 2014 at 6:25AM     
adivra
See my post above. IKEA racks are available online and cost a whopping $3.95 each. There are four in the pic holding standard spice jars. I keep salts closest to the range side, heat isn't a problem. Also date and rotate out dried herbs/spices if necessary.
June 8, 2014 at 7:52AM     
salina5
Heat is a problem (probably not for salts) and will degrade the quality of spices; direct sunlight will change the color. Google to see.
June 8, 2014 at 8:26AM     
fatar1
My husband built this spice drawer when he couldn't fins something in the spice cabinet. He used thin strips of oak to match the drawer front, and I LOVE it! Everything is right at my fingertips.
June 8, 2014 at 8:27AM     
liselalamilla
Living in the humid tropics the best tip I ever got was to keep spices in the refrigerator especially since we stock up when travelling abroad, the selection of exotic spices is limited here in Belize.

Spices that are used frequently are placed in a plastic bin that we take out and place on the counter when in use; those that aren't used frequently but great to have for those special meals we keep in one of the refrigerator drawers, each stored in ziploc bags; oils, salt, vinegars, honey we keep on a lazy susan next to the stove. Finally a system that works for us and doesn't result in our spices turning to tasteless dust.
June 8, 2014 at 9:42AM     
luckylyn5
We put a spice drawer in our kitchen remodel and love it. It's so much easier to see what I need and grab it. It's a wide, deep, narrow drawer with a spice insert, so it holds lots of spice jars with no wasted space.

In our last place, spices were jammed in a narrow standard depth cabinet. I'd have to take a bunch of spices jars out to find the one I needed.
June 8, 2014 at 9:45AM   
luckylyn5
FYI, I also have a narrow pull-out lower cabinet for larger items / items I don't want to store horizontally. That cabinet has vanilla, nutmeg grater, vinegars and olive oils, pepper grinder, taller containers of salt (kosher, sea salt), etc.
June 8, 2014 at 9:49AM   
lindylu19
I like the organization and look.
June 8, 2014 at 9:59AM   
Karen
We have a rack on door of the cabinet to left of stove and larger boxes/jars are on the first shelf. However, since seeing the spice drawers, I am sorry we don't have one wide enough on the right of stove...12" wide, and many spices for cooking husband to use (oh, that made him sound "hot" in the modern sense...which he is to me after 50 years together).
June 8, 2014 at 10:02AM     
gomat68
l rest my case!
June 8, 2014 at 10:28AM     
katieervin
I prefer the spice pull outs! Easier access and can accommodate the bigger spice containers.
June 8, 2014 at 11:34AM     
Micheline Hynes
Spice basket: small quantity spices is a small glass tube. Labeled and tidy in a straight-sided basket. Will send a pic when I get home.
June 8, 2014 at 11:58AM   
suzannebeach
Two pull out cabinet doors next to ranch top. Uniform bottles, labeled in alpha order. Spices only. All other staples including baking soda, powder, cornstarch, flour, rice, etc. are labeled and stored in clear canisters in a pantry. When we moved into this house with a humongous kitchen, my daughter was grateful for my old spice racks, jars, canisters, etc. to use in her smallish kitchen.
June 8, 2014 at 12:22PM     
pinkhellokitty
I have a ton of spices which I keep in small jars, and I used to put them on the carousels, but the biggest problem with them is that the bottles tend to fall into the side areas when I spin the wheels, and they are such a pain to have to retrieve from behind the wheels. After years of wrestling with the daisy wheels, I threw them out in a fit of disgust and just stacked them on 'stair cases' that I made using long blocks of wood. Nowadays, with the nice pull out racks, that's what I would put into my next kitchen.
June 8, 2014 at 3:57PM     
sally78
In a drawer. Easy to find everything, but I still try to alphabetize. : )
June 8, 2014 at 3:57PM     
tiggerhz
I have a drawer with a spice organizer for baking spices located near the baking station (where I keep mixer, bowls, etc) and a larger 4-tier organizer in a cabinet near the range with most frequently used spices and seeds near the front.
June 8, 2014 at 6:25PM     
Muhammad Hassaan
Rack is better and easily accessible.
June 8, 2014 at 6:54PM     
Studio M Interior Design
Spice drawer, all the way. It's out of sight, things don't fall, and it's always right where you need it when cooking!
June 9, 2014 at 7:33PM     
Muhammad Hassaan
hmm, my mum prefer racks cause they can house a lot of jars
the rack should be open so when you want something you just pick it directly.
June 9, 2014 at 8:23PM   
detailaddict
Seems a specialized spice drawer could fit so much more...I have two upper cabinet shelves taken up by a rotating spice rack and various other containers for spices/herbs that don't fit on the rack as it holds only 24 containers. A narrow pull-out rack that holds everything would be nice and free up a lot of cabinet space - no room on the counter.
June 10, 2014 at 7:26AM   
ionauhl
If you have enough drawer space use it. I had one in my old home and loved it. Also had a cupboard full of spices. I am moving into a smaller space so looking for ideas it store all of them.
June 10, 2014 at 8:44AM   
I have a spice rack but truth be told I bought it for the design not the spices lol;))
June 10, 2014 at 8:57AM   
reillyg
We are in the process of a kitchen remodel, I couldn't wait to get the pantry with roll out shelving just for my spices! I used to keep them in my walk in pantry on risers, but I use so many, they were constantly falling over - now, I have them arranged alphabetically with labels on top - easy to see and even easier to put away in their proper place!
June 10, 2014 at 2:38PM     
Rebecca Hite Real Estate, Huntington Properties
Love the look of a nice spice rack!
June 10, 2014 at 2:42PM     
Challenge
I used to have a spice drawer, but in my new home I did a spice rack on the sides of the stove. I love it because it holds more spices and they are easy to see.
June 10, 2014 at 4:16PM   
Xtraordinary by Design
I converted to a spice drawer earlier in the year and since my cooktop is in an island, it has been one of the best changes I've made. Even though I do most of the cooking, my boys love it just as much as I do!
June 10, 2014 at 5:28PM   
Laurel Ennis
It's better to keep spices out of the light. Drawers are better for that.
June 10, 2014 at 11:54PM   
Curt D'Onofrio
I voted for spice rack because we lack space for adding more drawers, but we have a little space on side of refrigerator and this pic is viable for us
June 11, 2014 at 12:17AM     
Sally Cheung
I prefer a spice rack. I can keep more spices in the rack and it saves space. Drawers space in my kitchen is limited so cannot be used to store the many spices, I need the drawers to store my cooking utensils. A spice rack is more practical in most kitchens.
June 11, 2014 at 2:01AM   
annetteabroad
I cook various cuisines and have lots of spices, so most racks are just not big enough for me. In a fit of organization last year, I bought 3 boxes of mini oval glass clip-top jars and clear spice labels online. I put the labels on the lids (not the sides). I then decanted all my various jars and shapes of spices into the standard ones, and store them all in a shallow drawer STANDING UP. By storing them vertical, I get a LOT more in the same space. And I know it sounds OCD but I do alphabetize them. Most of the drawer solutions sold by kitchen suppliers store them horizontal, which I feel is a waste of space. Yes, it did cost a bit initially for all the jars, but they are all the same size and look so tidy and organized when I open the drawer! It's probably the only thing organized in my kitchen. I got the idea from my much more thrifty sister, who used old baby food jars for her spices with plain white labels for the tops which she got at a stationery store and hand-lettered. She also alphabetized and put into pretty wallpaper-covered, labelled shoe boxes (A-G, H-M, etc.) and stores them all on the shelves of an antique ice-box in her kitchen. Works for her.
June 11, 2014 at 2:55AM     
stlouisgaltoo
I love my "useless" little vertical drawers that are between the stove and the corner cabinet. I categorize the spices by drawer. Exampl. HOLIDAY. Spices (used for Christmas baking and Thanksgiving dishes, Italian spice drawer, etc. I don't want any counter racks. I do put the most used spices in the cabinet. Above the counter. All are easy to reach.
June 11, 2014 at 3:02AM   
ynadler
Love this reverse a rack
June 11, 2014 at 3:31AM     
b33thoven
I have recently put all spices in large draw next to my stove . Why did I not think of this years ago !
June 11, 2014 at 4:16AM   
Kathleen Marineau
Drawers in this 1970s kitchen are too small and too few, won't even hold all my cooking utensils and strangely, not long enough for a wooden spoon. Currently spices are in plastic bins stacked on top of each other on a shelf. Next project is to create shelves between hallway wall studs at the end of our pocket kitchen, about 5' from stove. Not the best location, but it beats emptying an entire cabinet shelf to get to them Bottles of oil, vinegar, etc are on the top shelf because it is the only one with enough height.
June 11, 2014 at 4:55AM     
efeiner
I have sooo many spices that I do a bit of everything, I have two full drawers on my island so I can easily reach them. I have carousels next to my cooktop with the spices I use daily and then I have a huge walk-in pantry that has an entire wall from IKEA loaded with spices and a bin at the bottom of on of the other shelves with rare spices that I use once in a blue moon, such as pickling spices. If I had to choose one, I'd probably use the drawers.
June 11, 2014 at 5:49AM     
hammerhugger
I do the same as efeiner. I have two drawers and there is still overflow. I am thinking of getting a spice rack to put on the inside of my pantry door.
June 11, 2014 at 5:55AM     
efeiner
Hammerhugger, if you have a Container Store near you, check out their ELFA system, you can attach the shelves at varying heights and they are deep and wide and you can fit a ton on them.
June 11, 2014 at 5:58AM   
George Davis, Inc.
Why not have both?! Though you do need to be careful with a drawer not accommodating larger bottles.
June 11, 2014 at 6:09AM   
tranquilitylh
I store all of my spice bottles in a top drawer in my island. They lined up, standing, in four rows, with the rows separated by thin wood strips. I guess I'm obsessive-compulsive because they are in alphabetical order so it's easy to find what I'm looking for.
June 11, 2014 at 6:34AM   
janezeeb
When we remodeled our kitchen I had my husband build me this spice rack between two wall joists. IT WAS THE BEST (we sold the house) and I plan on recreating this in our next house.
June 11, 2014 at 7:00AM     
Vicki D
Whatever happened to the adage to store spices away from heat? That will be a factor in our kitchen remodel - spices in a drawer at the prep area. Also, since I am vertically challenged, drawers make life so much easier that storing spices in a cabinet. I can't tell you how often I buy a spice only to find out I have 2 of the same in the back corner of the cabinet!
June 11, 2014 at 7:25AM     
John James O'Brien - Design for Inspired Living
Light and heat destroy the flavours and colours of herbs and spices. I love the look of janezeeb's option, but couldn't go for it because of the exposure to light. Similarly, I avoid racks installed next to appliances that generate heat. That said, in my own kitchen, I have two large spice drawers and two shelves of a cabinet fitted with risers and turntables. Very functional, easy viewing, and inspiring!
June 11, 2014 at 7:32AM     
Jon Nickel
We have 6 carousels on 2 shelves. One holds herbs and mixed seasonings, one holds spices and seeds, one for Asian ingredients, one for baking (vanilla, soda and baking powder) one for vinegars and oils, one for misc....the herbs and spices are each alphabetized to make it even easier to see what you have or don't have. All the odd sizes of containers can co-mingle happily on carousels! And they are so affordable!
June 11, 2014 at 8:41AM     
krismort
Spice drawers, plural. The top shallow one has an insert which the cabinet maker provided, where I keep the regular sized bottles. The deep middle drawer right below is where I keep larger baking supplies, like baking soda, salt, cocoa, and baking powder, and larger containers of spices that I use more of. They're one drawer space away from the stove. The drawers next to the stove are where I keep hot pads and other linens, and extra tools that don't fit in the tool container on the counter top. Yes, I "need" that many tools. They fit in my kitchen and I'm keeping them. :-)
June 11, 2014 at 9:02AM     
jbugoregon
I cook a lot and use a lot of spices so storage used to be an issue but not any more. I buy my spices in bulk because I can purchase a smaller quantity so they're fresher and store them in antique wooden boxes on the counter. I use recycled cigar tubes with cork tops to hold them. (I fill the tubes up using a small funnel).
June 11, 2014 at 10:07AM     
racheltorres
Both look accessible, visible to the eye but what would determine my preference would be the height and proximity to my cooking space.
June 11, 2014 at 11:03AM     
Kathleen Marineau
My kitchen drawers range from 4" wide to 10" wide, all are 13" long. 3 are 4" deep the other 5 are 2" deep. It takes 5 of them for cooking and baking utensils, plus 3 crocks on the counter. Tableware isn't even in the kitchen, else there'd be no place for hot pads and potatoes. Spices in drawers would force me to store my baking and cooking utensils on top of my limited counter space or in the dining room. I'm going to make something like janezeeb showed in the hallway, 3' from the end of the kitchen counter. Haven't found any other place.
June 11, 2014 at 11:26AM   
decorgirly
I have a skinny pull out next to my stove
June 11, 2014 at 11:31AM     
Kathleen Marineau
Here is the space next to the stove where most of the drawers are.
June 11, 2014 at 11:31AM   
Rebecca MacAndrew
i like my spices displayed in uniform jars, i made a rack out of scraps of wood and little bun feet
June 11, 2014 at 4:10PM     
Pam Good
I had a small spice rack, but it didn't hold everything I needed and spice bottles also ended up in a cabinet. A couple of years ago, I cleaned out a drawer and organized the lot into that one drawer. It's convenient, the bottles stay in place well so I can see labels, and it works well for the various sizes of jars that I have.
June 11, 2014 at 5:40PM   
Andrea Franklin
My new house had two drawers that were perfect for my spice containers. LOVE!
June 12, 2014 at 8:01AM     
Andrea Franklin
June 12, 2014 at 8:02AM     
Britastina
Wow! I didn't read all of the entries because we all live in different kitchens, cook differently, and have different spices. I haven't solved this dilemma. Why? I didn't design my kitchen. I buy spices as needed. Sometimes at the grocery store, sometimes from Penzeys. Some I plan ahead for, some I buy at the last minute. Consequently, they are in all size and shape of container. I would dearly love perfectly organized spices buy I don't want to constantly "decant" them to little jars that would fit my careful arrangement. If I did that, I would need a separate place to keep the overflow. I have a 3-shelf cabinet to the left of my stove where I currently keep my alphabetized spices that are constantly getting un-alphabetized with new spices. I also have overflow currently on the top shelf of my pantry. What has happened to us? I don't remember my mother and grandmothers having this problem. When are we going to have a discussion about our linen closets, the under-the-sink storage? H*E*L*P!!!! Ok, I feel better now. I've got to get back to alphabetizing my salts.
June 12, 2014 at 11:09AM     
Kathleen Marineau
Great post Britastina, made me laugh.
I think we had about 6 choices when I was a kid. Salt: with or without iodine; Garlic powder; Black, cayenne, chili pepper and paprika. More were available in the stores, but the women in the family didn't experiment much and rarely followed someone else's recipe.
Linen closets get organized twice a year, spring and fall, so we can get to the thicker or thinner sheets and blankets, or so we can find the good towels because company is coming.
Under the sink? Well - my son just did his because his toddler figured out the child-safety latch within a week. It is now full of plastics, large pots, metal pie tins and a sacrificial wood spoon.
June 12, 2014 at 11:48AM     
Britastina
@Kathleen Marineau. What have we come to? I now have more space in my pantry devoted to cat food than my grandmother had in an entire cabinet. Gotta go, the Waltons is coming on.
June 12, 2014 at 1:39PM     
raish
spice rack is easier to stay organized
June 13, 2014 at 12:55PM   
skiingrn1
I really like my spice pull out next to the stove!
June 13, 2014 at 10:33PM     
summilux
How about a spice shelf. This is one of my earliest woodworking projects.
June 14, 2014 at 8:07AM     
dianepettis
Our designer is putting one in our kitchen because we had this odd little spot where we could have just put a fake cabinet or a pull out.....spice rack!!!!
June 15, 2014 at 6:43AM     
armipeg
RACK....easier to see and easier to use.
June 17, 2014 at 12:19AM     
Patricia Lowery-Congdon
I would vote for the rack as they hold a lot more then a drawer insert can.
June 18, 2014 at 3:09AM     
Anthony Caruana
Since I use all sizes of spices (most from Costco or BJ's), the best for me is the 2-tier carousel inside the corner cabinet (not near the heat of the stove). I also store cooking sprays--plenty of room and easy to find everything.
June 18, 2014 at 3:44AM   
romacheung
I love my spice cabinet. Instead of boxing in a floor to ceiling air- conditioning ducting located on the larder cabinet side of my kitchen, I turned it into a false cabinet. There's just enough space in front of the ducting for a series of 5 inch deep shelves, 9 in all, of varying, adjustable heights. These are concealed behind two full height doors which match the cabinetry in my kitchen. So two problems are solved at once - no ugly boxed in ducting and spices readily accessible in a space that would otherwise be wasted.
June 18, 2014 at 4:37AM     
cheewawa
I have a Wall Cabinet pantry with one side that is deep to hold everyday things and one side shallow to hold spices up to 2 deep. I have 8 shelves and have it all alphabetical from
A on. There is a bottom part to the spice side that I use for foil, wax paper, baggies, etc as it is the perfect size. I can open the door and immediately see what I need to use or purchase which saves me time. I have to vote rack since for me it would be easier to see what all you have.
June 18, 2014 at 4:40AM     
kpierotti
Spices should not be out in the light so mine are in a spice drawer or in a cabinet on a lazy susan. Unless you are cooking for a large crowd, they should not be bought in bulk: the fresher the better. Spices do not go bad but lose their potency after time if stored in light or bought in bulk. Whole spices are nice if you have the time to grate them. I have a tiny grater especially for whole nutmeg. Whole cloves stuck in a quarters of lemon and orange are great for wassail and in Indian cooking.
June 18, 2014 at 6:05AM     
dabraun
I have my spices on two racks on the kitchen wall beside the range. The jars are all uniform and I fill them from my stock that is kept in the pantry. The spices racks look pretty with all the different textures and colors, and best of all they are accessible.
June 18, 2014 at 6:11AM   
jdp2449
I found two bamboo cutlery organizers at Target, turned them on their side and attached them to the wall. In all my years of cooking and kitchens, I have never had spice storage so attractive or handy. They are the perfect size for the small "Penzys" spice containers and the large ones sit on top. I find that using the small containers keeps my spices fresher because it requires replacing them more frequently, my cooking is better for it!
June 18, 2014 at 6:44AM     
8163121
Preparing meals for any size family is hectic enough so the simpler the better. Rack it is
June 18, 2014 at 6:48AM     
bran3930
I hung a simple 5 tier spice rack on the inside of our pantry door. Very easy access and saves lots of room. You could even fit another rack below. I found great glass spice jars with cork lids from the Mountain Herb company on-line. Very affordable and fit my rack perfectly!
June 18, 2014 at 7:26AM   
Terri Stutzman
I have a pull-out spice cabinet like the one Dura Supreme Cabinetry posted and it rocks! I have it right next to the cook top and keep my most used spices, cooking spray, olive and canola oil in there. Mine was custom and I made 1 mistake. Its 2 shelf, and could have easily been 3 shelf. My pantry is around the island on the opposite side of the kitchen.
June 18, 2014 at 7:35AM   
najeebah1
I have a rack in a drawer
June 18, 2014 at 7:41AM   
deckerwong
In my kitchen I have these wire drawers and the spice bottles got too heavy and made the rollers of my racks go off track. Since I like to buy my spices bulk I got an idea. I found some heavier than normal weight small zip lock bags (3" wide by 5" long) and also some spice labels that fit. My spices went in the individual bags. Now all my spices fit in two drawers. My second drawer are the spices that we use the most and need the larger quantity. Those stay in their jars.
June 18, 2014 at 8:25AM     
darletter
I have spice carousels for some, and drawers for others. I grow some of my own spices, so I keep the larger containers in a drawer. I love these carousels and refill them from the larger containers
June 18, 2014 at 8:44AM     
vernbarber
I have two spice drawers one above the other just to the left of the stove top. I like having them all at the same level for quick perusing.
June 18, 2014 at 8:56AM     
goodkb
I have two big drawers and love them. Also have rarely used ones on a door rack and BIG bottles of ones used daily on a shelf. Yes I do have a lot of spices!!!
June 18, 2014 at 11:01AM     
shopgirl2013
Right now I have a spice cabinet that is large so I love all of the space! I would love to have a drawer as well for the spices that I use more often.
June 18, 2014 at 2:02PM   
peggysue1950
We just sold a house where my honey took the built in narrow broom cupboard and made shelves on the door (about 5' tall and a couple of inches deep) and made me loads of shelving inside the cabinet. We apparently over achieve in the way of spices! Building a new house now and spice storage is a priority for us!
June 18, 2014 at 3:51PM     
anneroby
I use too many spices for either...need entire 32" cabinet storing spices on one side, herbs on other but including condiments like salts,peppers, vinegars, oils.
June 18, 2014 at 4:53PM     
theholiday
DEAN AND DELUCA Test Tube Spice Rack on the counter top. love it every time i look at it and so easy to use. the other items go in the pantry, with the exception of my salt cellar for kosher salt and pepper grinder that both sit on my counter with the oil and vinegar. i usually need nothing else when i'm cooking. Now for baking, that's a whole'nother topic......
June 18, 2014 at 5:26PM   
Enisa Bosnic
super ima li vas u BOSNI I HERCEGOVINI
June 19, 2014 at 12:10PM   
Dura Supreme Cabinetry
A spice rack drawer with an area for oven mitts is a great solution near the cooktop!

June 20, 2014 at 2:25PM     
mcamillebrown
I keep mine on the door in my fridge so they last longer.
June 20, 2014 at 2:37PM   
Karen Heffernan
I love my spice test tubes!
June 20, 2014 at 6:59PM     
Anne Z
Have way too many shapes and sizes for a drawer. My preference is multiple lazy susans and multi level shelves in a cabinet. A drawer is nice for limited numbers of same size jars.
June 21, 2014 at 10:39AM     
Karen
Hmmm.. I have and voted rack, but the pics of spice drawers have me re-thinking my choices!
June 21, 2014 at 1:17PM     
ckranich
I have a small kitchen and lost drawer space, but gained cabinet space, in my recent kitchen remodel. I treated myself to some of these: https://www.verticalspice.com/
June 22, 2014 at 12:27PM   
Anne Z
Now those would work and I like your choice of spice merchant -- mine too.
June 22, 2014 at 2:05PM     
Jennifer Carr-Toms
Love my drawer! Keeps everthing right where I need it and I can take out the spice I need and put it right away without ever having to put stuff on the counter which will have all my chopped prep while I cook.

June 22, 2014 at 2:25PM     
Anne Z
Building a new home. Trying to determine what my needs are in a new kitchen. Meet with a designer in a month or so. I have more spices than a sane person should have. Thank you all for your input.
June 22, 2014 at 3:11PM     
jerryalan
Two tiered carousel for me.
June 23, 2014 at 5:48PM   
Anne Z
Check the website from the earlier post by ckranich. It may change your mind on the tiered carousel.
June 23, 2014 at 6:15PM   
cjens11
My spice drawer is one of my favourite features of my new kitchen. I love it....very inspiring!
June 23, 2014 at 8:55PM     
prrrrt
Guess all those ideas also work for vitamin and supplement storage. Which I need.
June 23, 2014 at 11:19PM     
Inger Nyborg
My drawers are always messy (I'm a control freak who should live alone). I'd go for spice rack. Much easier to keep control of what should be purchased :)
June 24, 2014 at 4:37AM     
Anne Z
Leaning towards racks now. I have so many jars in different cabinets I've started keeping lists of what is where and baking spices are separate. (Now is that controlling?)
June 24, 2014 at 5:31AM     
janecarman
We have interests in a variety of herbs and spices inspired from taking cooking classes in our travels around the world. Our best solution was to bottle everything in 70 sizeable clear jars, in 2 drawers, in alphabetical order. It's neat, clean and easy to use.
June 24, 2014 at 7:07PM     
MAS Architecture
Why waste a drawer? Racks are definitely the best use of space whether it be an inside of a cabinet or a rotating rack for decoration.
June 24, 2014 at 7:14PM     
Britastina
@MAS Architecture
Because! Because there isn't enough space for a rotating rack. Because the cabinet closest to the stove is being used for something else (like food, maybe?). Because people's cooking styles are different. Because people's tastes are different. Because we are dealing with what we have, not what we designed. In an ideal world me and my architect would spend hours talking about my cooking style and my favorite way to store my favorite spices. Then we would muse about the windows for my herbs. I'm sorry to sound snarky but most of us are dealing with what came with the house. This thread gives us ideas that we can dream about, and sometimes use. That makes me very happy.
June 24, 2014 at 7:54PM     
krismort
MAS Architecture, I could say something similar about racks. Why waste counter or cabinet space when you have a perfect drawer for your needs? Who wants to move a rotating spice rack when you're rolling out dough for pie crust, pizza, or cinnamon rolls. Not to mention it being in the way when you have 30 people over for Thanksgiving and you need as much counter space as you can get for the buffet. And I have plenty of other, bigger things than a few spice jars I need my cabinet space for. Different kitchens, different folks, different strokes.
June 25, 2014 at 3:28PM     
jeananncs
My current and last home has the spice rack built onto the inside of the pantry door. I LOVE it. I keep them alphabetical, which makes gathering ingredients so fast. The lower rack is larger for the taller bottles and unusual shaped items.
June 26, 2014 at 5:50PM     
Laide Ekisola
Nothing is handier than a wall or counter top or door rack.
July 3, 2014 at 4:28AM     
Is it even worth it? Screen porch and return on investment. I'd love y
I would really like a screened in porch. We have an...
Exterior colors for our organic modern river cabin
We are in the process of building a house and I am...
Lets start working on the guest room
While I wait on items to arrive for the other rooms,...
nedd help for my bedroom
i need help with the accesories
Please help completing my great room
It is a very bare space at the moment as I have focused...