Should we do stainless or custom wood panel?
bailey510
This is our kitchen design and we were wondering weather or not to go with stainless or custom wood panels for the column refrigerator and freezer to match our cabinets...thanks for any input.
Lampert Dias Architects, Inc.
Where is your refrigerator / freezer in the rendering ?
June 6, 2014 at 8:51PM   
bailey510
They are on the back wall. Refrigerator on the left and freezer on the right side. Two column units.
June 7, 2014 at 3:51AM   
Denita
My personal opinion is that the custom wood panels would bring some cohesiveness to the kitchen.
June 7, 2014 at 4:34AM   
homedesign_consultants
I think stainless steel adds accent, and gives it a modern twist... if ever you want to change the cabinets again,you coukd reuse the appliances too....
June 7, 2014 at 4:43AM     
Rose Aten Design LLC
Custom wood panels will allow the back wall of the kitchen to appear longer,allowing the hood and cooktop to be the focal point of the kitchen.
June 7, 2014 at 4:53AM     
I assume the column refrigerator and freezer are full built ins, yes? If so, then I think paneling them would look great. If they are "counter-depth" appliances, then I think they would look better in stainless as the panels wouldn't be seamless.
June 7, 2014 at 4:56AM     
bailey510
Yes they are built in units.
June 7, 2014 at 5:29AM   
Ingalls Custom Contracting
Instead of worrying about the appliances, the kitchen will look completed if you move some of your cabinets up the the ceiling with either taller cabinets or crown moulding.

The type of appliance would depend on type of cabinetry wether you have full overlay cabinets, half overlay, or face framed cabinets. Also the amount of light in the room. If there is a lot if natural light then the kitchen , the kitchen would be best finished with paneled appliances. That has a cleaner look, more custom.
June 7, 2014 at 8:44AM     
sstarr
I agree with Ingalls Custom Contracting. This practice of placing little crown mouldings on the tops of cabinet boxes will be over and look dated soon, IMO
June 7, 2014 at 8:54AM     
bailey510
The ceilings are 10' in the kitchen and the upper cabinets will be 42" I believe. there will be a nice crown molding detail around the ceiling...what type of molding would you suggest for the top of the cabinets?
June 7, 2014 at 11:17AM   
sstarr
None. I recommend that you avoid this kind of cabinet trim. Remove some of the upper cabinets from your design, particularly on the window wall, for a more modern approach.
June 7, 2014 at 11:43AM   
Design Schematic Interiors
Custom wood panels but make sure your appliances are full built ins.
June 7, 2014 at 11:48AM     
bailey510
We had the upper cabinets extended to the ceiling in the first kitchen design and I agree it looks better when the extend all the way up. However talking to several people we know that have this with 10' ceilings say they never use them because they are too high. The cost is $4500 to add the upper cabinets. Seems like a lot to spend for something we will likely not use.
June 7, 2014 at 12:35PM     
Denita
What about your seasonal storage for holiday place settings etc? I would go to the ceiling with the cabinetry and put the rarely used items in the upper shelves.
June 7, 2014 at 2:01PM   
bailey510
So if we do the uppers, should we leave the hood and space above the windows as is?
June 7, 2014 at 2:43PM   
bailey510
Ok forgive my sketch work of the plan but is this how we should do the back wall with uppers? Should we keep the hood the same and leave the space above the windows open?
June 7, 2014 at 3:21PM   
Rose Aten Design LLC
The position of the cabinets placement for the back wall is in portion with the windows and hood, therefore I seen no need to raise the cabinets to the ceiling.
June 7, 2014 at 3:46PM     
Denita
Here is something similar with cabinets to the ceiling

June 7, 2014 at 4:12PM     
Ingalls Custom Contracting
If you make the second upper cabinets with glass doors you can put accent lights inside of them and use them as display.
June 7, 2014 at 4:54PM     
bailey510
Great picture Denita thanks. Looks like our kitchen will be a little bit longer with the two windows but the rest is very close to what it would look like.
June 8, 2014 at 4:46AM     
Denita
Agree with Ingalls about the glass doors in the upper cabinets with lights. It will give you the idea that the 'windows' extend across the top of your kitchen (visually).
June 8, 2014 at 5:06AM     
Fred S
Is this new construction? Can the windows be extended up to just below the crown mold if you take the cabinets all the way to the ceiling?
June 9, 2014 at 10:06AM   
bailey510
Yes it's new construction. Here is the new design with the the cabinets to the ceiling
June 9, 2014 at 10:15AM   
Fred S
Maybe this? Just a quick fix on the phone, so it is a little off, but you get the idea. The windows look a little short and boxy otherwise when you raise the cabinets.
June 9, 2014 at 10:53AM     
bailey510
I like the bigger window idea but will probably have to pass on that idea, we've already finalized the plans with the architect and don't want to have to go back to them to make any further changes to the plan. I was thinking of maybe doing a small light fixture over each window like the one pictured below to add something to the empty space up there?
June 9, 2014 at 6:07PM     
Fred S
Just have your builder change the numbers.
June 9, 2014 at 8:16PM   
William Roy Designer Kitchens
Wood Panels especially with that giant stainless toe kick. That would be the only two BIG splashes of stainless that you would see if you did the doors in stainless. No finger prints!
June 9, 2014 at 8:24PM     
Sanctuary Kitchen and Bath Design
Without a doubt, go with custom paneling for the fridge / freezer columns.
June 9, 2014 at 8:50PM     
What do we do with wood panelling in the living room?
Just bought a new house that we love but it needs updating....
Farmhouse-what should I do with all this wood trim and paneling?
I will be placing an oversized earth-tone sofa and...
What should I do with the wood paneling?
I'm having trouble deciding whether to paint my wood...
Custom Wood Paneling, what to do besides rip it out?
Just bought this awesome house, but I'm not in love...
Should we do prefinished or finished in place hard wood floors?
We are adding on two rooms upstairs and while the floors...
how woud you place furniture in a 11.5 x 29 ft room.
I have a large window at each end. I have a 5 ft opening...
Any help for my room? Thanks!!!
Hi, I'm hannah, I am going to be a junior this year...
kitchen
I have a table that I am converting to a kitchen island...
i need help decorating my sitting room. its an open floor plan. i
i have light tile floors and walls. and one green sofa....