Help with paint colors
Danny McGuire
Recently installed Napoli granite countertops. Need advice on color that will blend with cabinets and countertops. The top white areas are what we need help with. We just stripped off the old wallpaper and it is what is going to be painted.
The color on the adjoining wall is balanced beige from sherwin Williams.
Any suggestions on paint up top? Thoughts on an accent color as well to go under the lips of the 2 tiers?
Jennifer Hogan
I would continue the balanced beige.
June 6, 2014 at 8:48PM     
A Blind View, LLC
I cant tell is that oak or whitewash stain
June 6, 2014 at 10:05PM   
PaintColorHelp.com Dallas
Looks like there is a lot of pink in your cabinets and also in the backsplash tile. It's hard to put most colors against whitewashed cabinets. Due to that, I agree with continuing the Balanced Beige - or even going one darker, to S 7038 Tony Taupe, if the wall is limited and your lighting is strong enough to handle it.
June 6, 2014 at 10:18PM     
Danny McGuire
Here is a close up of the cabinet.
June 6, 2014 at 11:44PM   
Jennifer Hogan
I don't have a paint sample of balanced beige, but if you want to be sure paint a sheet of heavy paper with the balanced beige and when it is dry tape it to your cabinet and step back away from it . Make sure that you like the colors together. Do the same thing setting the paper against the backsplash. I think the balanced beige will work with both.

I have a lot of pink undertones in my home in both the tile floors and cabinets and decided to use a very dark burgundy walls for my kitchen, but my house had enough deep colors to handle the deep burgundy. A deep bugundy chair, a deep green chair, deep green carpets and a deep purple, burgundy, green, brown and blue geometric design sofa.
June 7, 2014 at 9:37AM     
June 7, 2014 at 9:53AM     
hayleydaniels
I would go with something like an olive or grayish green to tone down the pink tones in the cabinets and backsplash as it's overwhelming. Here are a couple of ideas:
http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/foresthillsgreen

http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/sycamoretree
June 7, 2014 at 10:05AM     
Danny McGuire
You are all correct. The pink tones are overwhelming and frustrating to say the least when trying to find a good color. I have been thinking seriously about painting the cabinets white. Think that would open up more possibilities? Thanks for all your replies.
June 7, 2014 at 12:38PM   
Danny McGuire
Also, our room is very sunny during the day time. Should I think more about using brighter colors?
June 7, 2014 at 12:55PM   
Jennifer Hogan
I think we should all live in homes filled with the colors that make our hearts sing. Same as that one outfit in your closet makes you feel good when you put it on, our rooms should make us feel good when we enter them.

What are the colors that make your heart sing? What colors would you love to be surrounded with in your home?

That is where you start when picking a color pallet for your home.
June 7, 2014 at 5:30PM     
Jennifer Hogan
What colors are in the rest of your home? What colors are in the room next to this room?
You want the color to flow from one room into the next. You don't want the kitchen sticking out like a sore thumb compared to the rest of the home, but you can make it a color, if that color works with the colors in the next room.
June 7, 2014 at 5:37PM   
helenjoh
I had the same issue. Those whitewashed/pickled cabinets. Painted the bulkheads dark red for several years and recently went to change over. Had a terrible time deciding, since the cabinets seemed to do well with red due to their pinkish undertones. Painted the bulkhead grey, and really don't like it. May go with a dark beige, which I think is so boring.
June 7, 2014 at 5:48PM   
Jennifer Hogan
Here are a couple of greens that I think might work well. Devine Date and Devine Moss
June 7, 2014 at 5:50PM     
Sound Painting Solutions
I think a beige would go well with it.

Good luck:)
June 7, 2014 at 6:05PM   
Danny McGuire
Unfortunately, our home is currently a mess due to renovations. Here is the room next to the kitchen. Black couch and love seat and beige chair. Blue wall and island will probably be painted. Further thoughts?
June 7, 2014 at 6:49PM   
bgfuqua
moss green or light olive green - no accents.
June 7, 2014 at 9:11PM   
adivra
O my. Get medium packing boxes from Home Depot and pare down to essentials during your reno. You need relief from the chaos. Set up a staging area. I get this wasn't what you asked about, but a clear environment will produce clear ideaas.
June 7, 2014 at 11:51PM     
Jennifer Hogan
I got a lot of bad advice when I had the same issue as you have.

I was told that the pink undertone of my tile could never work with the yellow undertones in my honey maple cabinets.

One color expert who teaches color classes on undertones told me that I had to keep my walls white - no color would work. Another designer came to my home and told me I had to remove the 1200 sq feet of tile in my home. Another came in and told me what color to paint and when I painted it on my walls it looked like cheap pancake makeup. It had yellow undertones and looked awful. Every neutral I tried looked green or pink or gross.

Then I spoke with the founder of Devine Color. I had ordered her paint sample set and couldn't figure out what to do. I posted pictures to her facebook account and she came back with the answer. She understood that I had two undertones and that my budget wasn't going to allow me to change either. She called me and talked about my issue. Her answer was so simple. Think about what goes with yellow and pink. Think about an Easter boquet. Purple! I know it sounds crazy, but she suggested that if I wanted a neutral to go with a neutral with a purple undertone. I could also go with color, including the neutral greens - not green undertoned beige, but green that is subdued to be more neutral. She didn't say I couldn't have neutral, I just couldn't have beige.

The neutral that I selected was Devine Cappucinno. It was perfect - didn't turn pink or purple or green or blue on my walls - looks like neutral taupe. I also used Devine Date and Devine Almond in the bedrooms and Devine Steamer in the bathroom.

Her suggestions for purple undertones included Cappucinno, Bavarian, Elephant.
For Greens it included Moss, Date, Almond and Glass.

She sells 8x11 painted sheets of her colors as samples for $3.00 a piece. For a small investment you can pick 10 colors and try them in your home.
June 8, 2014 at 11:28AM   
Jennifer Hogan
I don't know where you live, but if it is near San Diego I could bring all of her colors to your home and we could have a color play date!
June 8, 2014 at 11:29AM   
maureen12
I love my existing paint colours but feel they are too dark now that my new floors are a darkish walnut. My furniture is warm, the walnut tends to grayish tones vs. reddish ones. Any suggestions for updating wall colours?
June 8, 2014 at 11:46AM   
Chris Warren
@maureen12, start a fresh thread for you question under "Advice" and you'll probably have more success at receiving help
June 8, 2014 at 11:56AM     
Jennifer Hogan
Maureen, If you love the colors that you have painted, but feel that you lost contrast and lightness when you changed your flooring why don't you pick lighter shades of the same colors?
June 9, 2014 at 3:11AM     
Remodeling resale
which is worse for resale removing bedroom for living...
Please help this large ugly wall!
Hi ! I have this large wall in my family room, the...
Something Missing
Looking for ideas! I feel as though something is missing...
Cambria Quartz
Has anyone experienced any problems with the Cambria...
Help!!!
Window covering?? Remove clock for balance?