Did I make a mistake here?
sheilamae57
After 22 years of antique white Formica I was finally able to make some changes and I am afraid I may have just made another mistake. The granite is Santa st cecelia dark and. The backsplash is emser trav vino tumbled gold. I chose to use a color enhancing sealer and think now I shouldn't have. Your thoughts please.
sstarr
Did you receive any professional advice on this?
June 7, 2014 at 9:34AM   
The Clay Team - Looking Glass Realty
Are you referring to the granite and tile choices or the use of the sealer?
June 7, 2014 at 9:37AM     
sstarr
Mostly the tumbled travertine, which a professional tile person should have told you, is both out of style and does not blend with your granite, which is very nice. I can't comment on the sealer.
June 7, 2014 at 9:47AM     
Sustainable Dwellings
Too gold on the backsplash....
June 7, 2014 at 9:49AM     
The Clay Team - Looking Glass Realty
Honestly...this is one reason I don't care for granite with a lot motion. It's beautiful by itself or on an island....but finding a compatible back splash is so difficult! I have to agree with sstarr - there were better choices both in the backsplash material and the color.
June 7, 2014 at 9:54AM     
hayleydaniels
I'll no doubt be the only person on here who likes it, but I think it has a rustic, earthy look, and the colors are okay together based on the closer picture. I love the travertine subway tiles!
June 7, 2014 at 9:58AM     
sheilamae57
I really like the granite and have had an awful time choosing a backsplash. The sample tile I thought blended very well but when I used the color enhancing sealer it really brought out the color. (Too much I think) and when it was done i thought the same thing. I have new tile less than 24 hours old and have already redacted my kitchen. I am making myself sick with this. What would be a better choice for a backsplash for this particular granite. I hate too do it but may have to have this all this taken down. I also need to choose floor tile.
June 7, 2014 at 10:04AM   
sheilamae57
Redated
June 7, 2014 at 10:05AM     
Highbury Design Ltd
paint a simple 2" x 1" timber (architraving?) in slate grey and glue to wall to act as visual divider. Use same colour on rebating of cupboard doors, painting rest of door and cupboards in slightly stronger version of the gold (but still very muted)..
June 7, 2014 at 10:06AM   
sstarr
Personally, I would go with quite large solid-color tiles or panels. You could use tile or glass, but don't use mosaic or small tiles. Minimize any grout lines and make sure that they match the material.
June 7, 2014 at 10:07AM     
marywashington
Well I think it looks great. They are beautiful finishes. I dont think travertine can go out of style. Its a classic.Now every kitchen has that subway tile and soon that will be out of style. I much prefer natural material. I would wait awhile before you change it and see how you feel about it. You just made a major change so it might take some getting used to. I love it.
June 7, 2014 at 10:10AM     
marywashington
Is there lighting under the cabinets ?
June 7, 2014 at 10:11AM     
bluenan
The sealer will wear over time and the darkening will fade. I think you should try to enjoy your new granite and not be so worried about the back splash, you liked it when you chose it. Perhaps after a couple of years you can change it if it still bothers you. Often our reactions to decorating decisions that aren't exactly how we envisioned them elicit a panic, especially after waiting so long and anticipating the change. I feel for you, but give it some time. Some new cabinet hardware may help also.
June 7, 2014 at 10:13AM     
moxiemom
I'm with Hayley. I like it. I think it's earthy and very comfy. Give it a little time before you do anything drastic. You may just be accommodating your eye to a huge difference from the white boring Formica.
June 7, 2014 at 10:14AM     
kschedler
I think it's beautiful! The color and contrast are inviting and say "Welcome!"
June 7, 2014 at 10:23AM     
Kirsten Gable
I actually really love your combination. I am a showroom manager at a tile store and design backsplashes just about everyday. Your granite choice and backsplash are definitely not outdated! Travertine never truly goes out of style, so don't worry about that.

I would certainly live with your new space for a good month and then revisit how you feel. You may be surprised and find that you enjoy your new backsplash! Again, it is very beautiful!
June 7, 2014 at 10:31AM     
beachlily
I like your combination too! I think your backsplash is unique and blends well with granite. Don't ever listen ( or worry ) about what someone says is in or out ...unless it's wallpaper borders..haha!

Enjoy your lovely kitchen and hope you make wonderful memories in it!
June 7, 2014 at 10:42AM     
auntiebuzzybee
I agree that you should wait and don't panic. You are still dealing with blue tape and aren't settled in with it yet. I definitely would change out your hardware. I highly recommend undercabinet lighting if you dont yet have. I redid a little in my kitchen last fall. I still dislike it but I've been a good sport and gave it a chance. Now, I have had time to think it through some more and am not reacting out of my panic before. (Yours is better than mine). Check to see if there is another tinted sealer you could get to apply in the event you still don't like this after the new shock factor wears off.
June 7, 2014 at 10:46AM     
sheilamae57
Thank you all for your comments. I will live with my choices for a while to see if it just the shock of change or if I really would be happier with something else. I do have undercabinet lighting. Something new I think. It is a flexible LED strip that sticks to the underside of the cabinets. Very small. I chose warm white light but it comes in many choices of white and colors. The hardware will be changed out. Another stressful decision. I do have a sample of a finish I like. (photo shown) I appreciate the critiques as well and will consider the larger tiles in a more solid color if changes will indeed be made. Painting the cabinets is not an option for me.
Any suggestions on a floor tile to look nice with the cabinets and granite?
June 7, 2014 at 11:30AM     
JJJ&K
I am going through the same thing you are right now BUT I have not decided and still cannot decide on my granite/backsplash combination. It is killing me. I think yours looks great and as everyone continues to tell me - - it is a personal choice - - totally what YOU like. I've had so many people talk me out of what I thought I liked and honestly the responders on this site helped more than anyone in the design stores. Good luck. I will post a picture of my decision soon.
June 7, 2014 at 11:38AM     
rosiegabby
I think the color enhancer is the problem although I don't know what the before looked like.

The backsplash as too much yellow.
June 7, 2014 at 11:46AM     
Brian Shelton
If you don't settle with it you could paint it (assuming you can paint it sealed)
June 7, 2014 at 11:59AM     
Engrav's Decorating
A granite with this much movement needs something more subtle but not any less beautiful. Glass subway tile is calming and beautiful as a backdrop to granite counter tops.

For care and cleaning you had no choice but to seal the natural stone. Natural stone in a kitchen is a nightmare to care for in a natural state.

Wish you well! Good luck.
June 7, 2014 at 12:01PM     
Don't second guess your self. I love it. It has a rustic feel to it. Very big right now. Good job.
June 7, 2014 at 12:03PM     
I really don't know what people are talking about. your backsplash works with granite it's just right.
June 7, 2014 at 12:05PM     
It is very hard to tell from a photograph on a computer what the colors actually look like in person. So I'd suggest:
1. Give it time. I always take ages to get used to changes, and it isn't clear that there is anything actually amiss.
2. If time doesn't solve your concern, try changing the undercabinet lights to reduce the yellow tones.
3. If a lighting change doesn't work, try a sealer, new grout, or some other thin whitewash that lightens the travertine. You want to reduce the yellow/gold tones since that is what it looks like may be just slightly off in relation to the granite. Anything that lightens or reduces contrasts may help.
June 7, 2014 at 12:07PM     
auntiebuzzybee
I like that hardware very much. Is it comfortable to your hand and is it comfortable to man's hand?, if they mind. I like hardware that is smooth on the backside. Too many are sharp edged and open in the back. This looks barrel shaped and comfortable. I'm sort of mindful about knobs sticking out far enough that you can actually get fingers behind them and not just the rim...that's just me (shrug). It looks like it will match your hinges well, yes?
June 7, 2014 at 12:09PM     
Engrav's Decorating
This would look even better with your cabinets and countertops.
Hope you can see the picture well enough.
June 7, 2014 at 12:12PM     
sheilamae57
The hardware does feel nice in the hand and is an aged iron look. It is solid all the way around and actually feels soft. Plenty of room for a mans hand provided he doesn't have hands like a bear.
June 7, 2014 at 12:16PM     
sheilamae57
The hinges are actually antique brass. I would like to change them but didn't see them in the same finish as the pulls. The pulls were from Home Depot
June 7, 2014 at 12:18PM   
csevene
I think it's fine .. Try putting a few of those 'coppery' colored items on the counter..looks like they pull counter, backsplash and cupboards together.
Agree, replacing hardware on cupboards.
June 7, 2014 at 12:19PM   
Linda H
I love it too! I have something very similar.. Venetian gold granite with a Scabos tumbled travertine. But YOU must love it. IMO, who cares if it's "out of style? " This is a huge change from what you had before. I think the advice to live with it for awhile is a good one. Don't give in to the trend setters! It looks great!
June 7, 2014 at 12:30PM     
mjdeutsch
It looks so much better just with the change in hardware!! The yellow in the back splash seems to be bringing out a yellow in the counter top. But I agree with the others who say to give it time. Maybe you'll never love it but you may find it's nicer than you first thought.
June 7, 2014 at 1:25PM     
jergens1211
I would just bite the bullit and change the backsplash to something plain . That counter deserves all the attention
June 7, 2014 at 4:09PM     
Maggie
Live with it for a while. You'll find you can get used to anything but if you cannot, get a simpler back splash. Cost? You'd be surprised at how good some stick on tile looks in this digital age. Seriously cannot tell some vinyl plank tile from the real deal sometimes but I am NOT suggesting vinyl plank look.
When you go to tile the floor please choose a neutral without a lot of pattern/variation. Go with large close set tiles if possible with minimal grout lines and grout the same color as the tiles. When yo go to the tile store take the floor area to be tiled with measurements. The professional will help you decide if any pattern (not tile style bu tlayout pattern) works well with your layout. A good tile store will have differnet areas laid with different patterns. Take this pic of your granite and back splash and cabinetry. then spend some time imaging the whole thing in your head for days before signing on to anything.
Removing tile is extremely dusty so seal the area extremely well with heavy plastic and tape. Make the workers wear masks.
June 7, 2014 at 4:26PM     
flyr4fun
I don't think the backsplash goes well with the granite, it's too yellow and bit too busy. If you liked it before you color enhanced/sealed it, then it may be fixable depending on what sealer you used. There are companies that can re surface travertine by grinding/polishing a very thin layer off the surface, which may get rid of your sealer. If not, it's not that big a deal to redo the backsplash. Disappointing, yes, but you should have something you really, really, like at the end of the day. If you don't like it, spend the couple hundred bucks and redo.
June 7, 2014 at 4:34PM     
bgfuqua
I like your new look, it looks real and natural.
June 7, 2014 at 4:41PM   
bbowers35
I don't think the backsplash goes well with that granite :(
June 7, 2014 at 6:36PM     
Pooh Bear
I am in not in the habit of not liking something ...or at least putting it in print..especially when someone took the time to share...but since you asked...yes...a better choice could have been made.
June 7, 2014 at 7:50PM   
adivra
You've received some very encouraging comments. I agree with the post about living with it for a while.
June 7, 2014 at 8:13PM     
Meet Me at the Wrecking Ball
Put away that unnecessarily cute basket of coffee filters and update your cabinet hardware to a brushed silver or pewter handle. The counter and backsplash are fine--your cabinet hardware is throwing things off in there.
June 7, 2014 at 8:19PM     
I gotta say, I like this combination you have ;) I would add black hardware to the cabinets. Rest arrow on pic to enlarge.

June 7, 2014 at 8:39PM     
Cure Design Group
Are you questioning the color palette for the decision to u the color enhancing sealer?
June 7, 2014 at 8:43PM   
claisabel
Change the hardware to oil-rubbed finish and add a splash of color on top of the granite with some colorful kitchen accessories.
June 7, 2014 at 8:54PM   
makaloco
This is hard for me, because I absolutely love the backsplash! On my computer it looks too gold for your granite, which seems to have rose or peach tones, especially in the first photo. But in the third photo (with the copper accessories) it doesn't look bad at all, so maybe wait for a bit as others have suggested to see how it grows on you. For the floor, a slate gray might be nice to pick up the pattern in the granite. Terra cotta (e.g., saltillo) would look good as well but may be warmer overall than you want to go.
June 7, 2014 at 9:17PM     
sheilamae57
Cure design, I chose the tile and had it installed then decided to use the color enhancing sealer. Too much color. I should have left it alone. Before the sealer , the colors were all still there, only muted and softer. We still have hardware to replace and the kitchen floor. If after some time the very gold of the tile continues to bother me, we will change it. The tile by itself is really very pretty and i have always liked the Santa cecelia granite. The two of them together just didn't come together as I had hoped. It's not terrible, my husband likes it but something about it just keeps niggling at my brain. (It's funny, looking at the granite alone all I saw were the gold tones, now with the tile,the paler gray and putty tones seem to be more dominate.) I very much appreciate all of the comments given here and am learning with every post. You can be sure that I will be very careful when choosing the floor tile.
June 7, 2014 at 9:26PM     
refining
wow...surely you're feeling that pit in your stomach with the choices you made and the money you spent. In my opinion, it's too late to go back and change those expensive decisions. If it were me, and I was "stuck with it"...I would start by painting your cabinetry. The color just brings out the gold, copper colors you have going on in your counter and backsplash. I'd paint them a warm ivory to bring out the creamy colors in the granite. Also, I would add a piece of trim along the base of the backsplash to separate it from the granite. both lovely choices, but together...not working. Maybe the trim is a "finishing tile" in an ivory color that would match your painted cabinetry. I think dividing the two will help. Look for bold, monochromatic accessories for countertop! Busy granite, so think simple! Good luck
June 8, 2014 at 5:01AM     
jesker
I like the new cabinet hardware you show in the third picture you posted later in the thread!
June 8, 2014 at 5:24AM     
maisonmonceau
Was just watching "Sandwich King" with Jeff Mauro on The Food Network. His kitchen? Wood cabinets, rectangular tan travertine backsplash and a patterned granite countertop. So much like yours!!! You're in good company.
June 8, 2014 at 8:34AM     
marywashington
I actually think your kitchen is nicer Shelia mae57!
June 8, 2014 at 8:38AM     
jergens1211
His backsplash is sliced marble and is one colour
June 8, 2014 at 8:45AM     
flopsycat1
If anyone should change his backsplash it's Jeff Mauro! Way too busy with a row of accent tile between those intentionally unlevel tiles. How can you ever get the grease out of that? And granite that jars the brain. Sheilamae, yours is fine, especially with the new, simpler hardware in the later photo. Relax, don't sweat it and enjoy your new kitchen.
June 8, 2014 at 8:48AM   
sheilamae57
Thank you. Painting the cabinets are not an option. We like them and we like the granite. The addition of the backsplash has thrown me. It is not terrible but I don't just love it and I really want too. As I see it my options are live with my backsplash for a while as many have wisely suggested or change that 30 sq ft of tile. I will go ahead and change the hardware and start looking at floor tile, keeping in mind what I have read here. And yes, I am quite familiar with that sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach as many of us that try to do this ourselves have felt at one time or another. At least this morning I didn't burst into tears when I came into the room. Like mom used to say, live and learn. I do know that I will continue to search for the perfect backsplash material and again, thanks to everyone for the comments.
June 8, 2014 at 9:28AM   
sheilamae57
Have attached photos of the adjoining rooms. Not sure if the backsplash style(?) fits. I am getting more used to the tile but still think it will need to be changed at some point. I am shopping today for a stainless refrigerator.
June 10, 2014 at 6:47AM   
marywashington
beautiful rooms and I still like your backsplash. I have to disagree with comment on cleaning them. Mine are very easy to clean with just some water on a sponge. Is the wallpaper border a new feature in your kitchen?
June 10, 2014 at 7:58AM   
shars55
Lin.....most things go out of style at some point, even quartz. The tradespeople will come up with something new to foist upon all of us. This is how they make money.
June 10, 2014 at 8:31AM     
sheilamae57
Thank you marywashington. The wallpaper has been up for a great many years. Removing it is one of my next projects.
June 10, 2014 at 8:51AM     
Circle Goods Reclaimed
Honestly I love the backs splash, looks like you have under cabinet lighting. I might have considered a more dull finish on the counter but I'm not a huge granite guy. However, it's obviously cheaper to do backsplash. Keep it a few months and see if it grows on you!
June 10, 2014 at 9:01AM     
auntiebuzzybee
Sheila, please clarify...was the solution that was put on your backsplash a sealer or "colour enhancer"? And what is a colour enhancer? For the tiles and the grout? Have you spoken to anyone about how to remove it or use another shade over it? Any tile shop for advice or the manufacturer of the product you used? I'm hoping you could simply put another coat of another tint to tone down the yellow or if there is a sealant remover...I'm simply asking simple by comparison to you removing and replacing it. I do think think this is so much more classic than some glass tiles or anything. Other than in these photos on my monitor ( which are not accurate) that it looks a bit yellow I think its fine fine fine. Of course now your floor tiles look quite pink and that makes the other look more yellow also. That's why this whole thing never stops once you start!!! : ) sure glad you're not crying anymore!!! Please don't cry!
June 10, 2014 at 9:06AM     
sheilamae57
Bsellars. The color enhancing product was a color enhancing penetrating sealer made by DuPont. My choices were bulletproof which would not change the color in anyway and the enhancing sealer which brought out all the color.
June 10, 2014 at 10:28AM   
sheilamae57
Bsellers1394. (I got your id wrong in the last post) I'm no longer crying and am getting quite used to the backsplash. The floor tile is next to go as well as the hardware. The braided rug is a maybe stay as much as I love it and the kitchen chairs will be replaced with maybe an armless wicker? And the table base will be painted a color to be determined later.
June 10, 2014 at 10:33AM     
M&I Design Group
I would change the backsplash.
June 10, 2014 at 11:03AM   
marjariitta
I actually like the backsplash and the granite. Your kitchen is warm and inviting - I don't think you made a mistake. There is a certain charm in imperfection :).
June 10, 2014 at 11:36AM     
bellburgmaggie
Yes, I agree, the backsplash is fine with the countertop. I'd contemplate paint or glaze on the cabinets (grey) and new cabinet hardware. I personally think the stone is fine. What I think detracts from the choice are the not crazy oak cabinet color.
June 10, 2014 at 12:17PM   
sheilamae57
Auntiebuzzybee. The pulls were actually from lowes. The beverly pull. There are knobs in the same finish as well.
June 24, 2014 at 9:14AM     
auntiebuzzybee
Hey sheilamae57, I am so glad you are adjusting to the newness of your kitchen look. I think it's very nice AND let me add that I am glad you are NOT PAINTING your cabinets. They are really nice just as they are. Let us know how things are going as to finding a new floor, if that is your next goal. I like your cabinets. I like your backsplash. I like your handles and your hinges are fine. GOOD JOB. ( The floors will be soooo much dust, oooh nooo! )
June 24, 2014 at 9:45AM     
Layout help - did I make a mistake with this couch?
I am having so much trouble figuring out the layout...
Hickory flooring-did I make a mistake?
How does this flooring look so far? The hickory floors...
Help. Did I make a mistake with granite
I'm redoing my bathroom and picked this combination...
Did I make a huge mistake??
I have already chosen the elements for my new powder...
small bathroom inside bedroom help
hello, I have a 5m×5m room and I need to have a bathroom...
Need help with living room arrangement
My husband and I received our new apartment and had...
Color choice for shutters
We are planning on putting shutters on the five front...
Help me finish our bedroom
I need help finishing our bedroom. I want the colors...
New wall color needed
This guest bathroom was renovated 3 years ago and I...