Wanted: Detail obsessed minds
karenmacyJune 9, 2014
I appeal to the detail obsessed Houzz experts! Please help me with the final touches! Just painted, furniture stays. I need advice on accessories that will provide a "finished , airy and updated look. Thank you!!!!
Warner Decor
Good Morning! The first thing I noticed about your dining room was the centerpiece. I think it is too small for the area. Here are a few alternative ideas for you:
http://deciture.com/middleton-centerpiece/ (would imitate the chandelier)
http://deciture.com/foyer-double-hurricane/

Hope this helps you!
    Bookmark   June 9, 2014 at 5:22AM
Rebecca Mitchell Interiors & Boutique
You have a lovely dining room. Two things stand out: The rug under the table is definitely wrong for the space - the size, shape and style all don't work I'm afraid. Get a bigger more formal rug that brings out the wood and yellow upholstery. Also I would change the orientation of your table so that it runs the same way as the windows. After that it will be easy to address the finishing touches. Hope this helps. Good luck from Montreal!
9 Likes    Bookmark   June 9, 2014 at 5:38AM
sondramartina
Cow hide too small
I found this room that is similar to yours but they have two overlaping cow hides.
2 Likes    Bookmark   June 9, 2014 at 5:54AM
karenmacy
Thanks Rebecca. The room is not wide enough to turn the table, I tried but you can't walk around it!
1 Like    Bookmark   June 9, 2014 at 11:38AM
karenmacy
Sondramartina, I love the two cowhide rugs! I did have an oriental carpet I this room . Could I layer the hide over the oriental?
    Bookmark   June 9, 2014 at 11:40AM
sondramartina
Of course you can,try it and see how it looks like. I would love to see it. :)
1 Like    Bookmark   June 9, 2014 at 11:47AM
I do not see how overlapping cow hide rugs lends itself to the *airy* feeling??
    Bookmark   June 9, 2014 at 11:53AM
I think a rug like this would like great with your current colors and horse art;)

4 Likes    Bookmark   June 9, 2014 at 11:57AM
Maureen
Remove cushions from side chairs, change rug, if you want to spend the money, upholster the chairs with a patterned fabric (above sample is a good example of the type of fabric) and it's easy to do. Hard to decide on the gold framed mirror, perhaps you could lightly rub with a cloth the same color paint as your walls, leaving some brass showing, to make it look distressed and/or try turning it horizontal. The room is lovely.
    Bookmark   June 9, 2014 at 12:00PM
rocketjcat
I agree that there's not much 'airy' going on in the room since the furniture is dark and traditional. I would definitely change out the rug. It has a kind of "connection" to the beautiful horse picture, which is a little disturbing. And it's too small. Something like this might tie in better with your colors and give you a lighter feeling to the room. Also maybe some gauzy white curtain panels inside your gold ones, and change your seat fabric to something lighter, maybe pick up a light color from the rug.

2 Likes    Bookmark   June 9, 2014 at 1:39PM
Here are similar dining rooms that are airy The light carpet is similar to the light light color of your flooring, and the chairs are equally formal, but that is where the comparison ends. It will be hard to bite off, but consider either selling your dining set to replace with something lighter, or paint it and reupholster chairs. Consider milk or chalk paint. You might replace the ornate chandy with one a bit simpler and open feeling.
House Beautiful 2013
Palm Street
1 Like    Bookmark   June 9, 2014 at 2:20PM
anne dee
some added details ;-)
Kathleen Burke Design
the rug in the 2nd pic wld look nice with yr curtains and chairs
Feminine Dining Room 3
the decorated sideboard looks nice in the 3rd pic
McCroskey Interiors
    Bookmark   June 9, 2014 at 2:33PM
Connie
I think the dark wood will work to create a strong contrast, IF you lighten most of the other elements in the room. I love the horse pic and would use that as the inspiration piece and focal point. I think you should limit the amount of golds and browns since there is enough in the flooring and dark wood and cream walls. I would focus on silver, gray and white to balance the warm colors and bring elegance and a lighter contrast.

I would accessorize with silver, mercury glass and glass/crystal to tie in with your chandelier. It would make the room more polished and elegant. Avoid accessories that are dark, rustic, gothic unless there is one single piece that is your "museum" piece (that's what I call the one piece that stands out as an object d'art and is so impressive that it doesn't have to fit the mold with ordinary accessories.

I think the shades on the wall fixtures are too light, lol. The fixture is dark, but the shades are fading into the wall. I'd change them to black with gold reflective lining or maybe shiny silver. Maybe add chandelier crystals to them.

On the floor, I would place an off-white or silver rug. A short loop silver on white watercolor or a shag.

The mirror on the wall looks like it needs to be raised and hung to lay flat in the space.

For a feminine airy look - white flowers.

Lastly, it looks like you are using lime green as an accent. I just don't think it is enough to make it work. Maybe a shiny lime green runner down the table set with silver accessories. And a large floral arrangement of white gardenias, peonies or such with lime floral accents in a "crystal" vase.
3 Likes    Bookmark   June 9, 2014 at 3:31PM
Connie
PS. If you feel brave, paint the inside squares of the moulding on the walls a different, but subtle shade to let the architecture work for you. Not everyone has that detail to help them.
3 Likes    Bookmark   June 9, 2014 at 3:34PM
karenmacy
A lot of information for me to digest! Thank you, I'll re read each comment and adjust accordingly! Almost choked on the eerie "connection" between rug and picture! I have a vintage chartreuse chair in the adjoining livingroom, hence the green accent bookends and Granny Smith apples on table. Love the idea of different color in panels, would flat paint in the same Lancaster whitewash be enough to highlight the moulding a? ( all is currently semi gloss). Definitely will recover the chairs. I really appreciate all the expertise!
1 Like    Bookmark   June 9, 2014 at 3:59PM
karenmacy
Could I do a white, gold and silver color scheme? Cover chair seats in pewter?
    Bookmark   June 9, 2014 at 4:32PM
Connie
Hard to say on the paint finish. If everything is semigloss you should probably stay with that, but test to see. It's your home and it's about what you like. (( What I always do is bring home swatches and tape to the wall to see what they look like in your room and lighting conditions. When you think you like a shade / finish, buy a quart and paint a poster board. Set this up on your wall or tape up with painter's tape. If you think you lean toward one, test it first. When you are satisfied with the choice, the quart can be added to the gallon or whatever you need for the room. If it doesn't work out, it will probably be close enough to use for small craft projects to complement your ideas. )) Also, semigloss helps with the light. You might also need extra lighting in the room to brighten it, but I can't tell from the pics.

Is there room to put this chair in the corner of the dining room??? It has a great vibe and shiny. It also could be the "unexpected" thing in the room to give it a push.

PS. Check the pattern on the curtains in the pic I uploaded. Can't remember the correct name for this, but it is very popular now and easy to find. A geometric like this might be a good choice in upholstery to accentuate the style of your dining set. If the green chair goes in the dining room, make a small bolster pillow out of the same fabric. :)
    Bookmark   June 9, 2014 at 4:34PM
Connie
I think you could, but remember proportions. Visual "weight" in the room where one color and/or texture is the primary (most), the next color and/or texture is secondary (not quite so much, maybe half of the first), and the last color and/or texture is third (less than the second, but depends on how strong it is for quantity). Love that pattern!
    Bookmark   June 9, 2014 at 4:37PM
Connie
Not hard gold... Maybe more of a soft, peachy tinged gold. Check the color in the candles, horse statue and flowers. Another trick. Look for sculpture or prints that have movement like the horse I uploaded. It implies wind and air and lends to the airy feel.
    Bookmark   June 9, 2014 at 4:44PM
rocketjcat
Hope it was a funny 'choke' and not an 'offended' one! :-)
2 Likes    Bookmark   June 10, 2014 at 6:30PM
karenmacy
Absolutely. Who would guess I'm such an animal lover?! Although I do insist they help around the house!
8 Likes    Bookmark   June 11, 2014 at 3:51AM
ciscomo
Hi karen, your helper is too adorable.

IMO, the fabric pattern you picked is not "airy" or contemporary but rather is "grand". Could you look back at the posted pictures for fun and let us know which ones, if any, you are attracted to?

PS, as a horse owner, I made the exact same connection as rocketjcat. Too funny!
    Bookmark   June 11, 2014 at 4:08AM
potchiemagoodleberry
you have a really lovely home! I think your DR looks great, but is to be honest, it is lacking texture and color. I'd love to see you recover the seat cushions in a patterned fabric...which will also help to conceal any spots. and consider painting....I know the paint is fresh, but the beautiful detailing on the walls are lost, and remember that this formal DR will be used mainly at night, so it can stand up to some color. look closely at this space at night, with the artificial light filling the room.....it will look washed out. if you want to stay neutral, go deeper on one of the elements...either trim or walls to really help it stand out. the animal hide is great, but too small...two would be better as suggested, but it will just blend in. I'd rather see a large rug with some pattern or texture. ikat pattern is hot right now and is still classic looking without looking too trendy and can bring the green into the space in a way to make it look intentional. the curtains could still work, if there is gold in the rug. so much fantastic potential!! show us any changes you make!! :)
    Bookmark   June 11, 2014 at 4:22AM
chookchook2
Put the urn and gatepost topper acorn thingy into the garden for a nice change.
1 Like    Bookmark   June 11, 2014 at 4:41AM
edithsmom
Love yellow Labs and yours is crazy funny (I always say dog owners have to have a good sense of humor)
2 Likes    Bookmark   June 11, 2014 at 8:57AM
chookchook2
How much does the lab charge by the hour?
    Bookmark   June 11, 2014 at 3:30PM
karenmacy
I don't know, how much?
2 Likes    Bookmark   June 12, 2014 at 5:05AM
chookchook2
Well, if you pay in food, labs are never full, so they might strike for higher wages.
1 Like    Bookmark   June 12, 2014 at 5:45AM
karenmacy
I have realized that "airy" was probably the wrong word! My home is very traditional, but I felt dark and old fashioned? I still am looking to keep traditional styling, but perhaps lighten it and make it a bit younger and fresher looking ! ( enough adjective?)
I appreciate all the comments and I'm sorry for misleading. The room was previously wedge wood blue trim and gold and blue toile wallpaper. I had a rusty, blue and gold oriental rug, and a huge china closet and server. I guess I'm looking for inexpensive ways to update further. Ex. I've covered the server with linen slipcover
2 Likes    Bookmark   June 12, 2014 at 1:54PM
karenmacy
So far, I'll change fabric on chair( left over drapes) I removed the pillows from chairs. Here is my adjoining living rm for perspective.
1 Like    Bookmark   June 12, 2014 at 1:57PM
Accessories are a personal thing. But to start get rid of heavy stone type items. Go items with a reflective surface, like mirrored. Use silver like in candlesticks. Very tall. For center of table get a round mirror and . Place about 5-7 candlestick in different heights on it. Ikea has great price. Replace dark framed art with frameless art in bolder colors try oil. Don't be afraid of mixing modern with formal. It add interest. Z Galleries sells great art and decor . Ikea, TJMax all have decor items shop bring home things group to get rather than spread across a buffet. Placing big items in back,and shorter in front. TJMax has great return policy. Go often because they have big turn over. Most designer go. buy a lot of things, try them out and then return.
1 Like    Bookmark   June 12, 2014 at 2:04PM
The animal hide isn't working. Go a bigger 8x11 rug in a bolder color or print. I would add new end chair to table, wing back. restoration Hardware has some. Or Pier One. Even Tjmax carries great price. Go a color.
1 Like    Bookmark   June 12, 2014 at 2:06PM
Sorry guess you have a frameless pic, but too dark.
    Bookmark   June 12, 2014 at 2:07PM
Remove items on window or In front. .
    Bookmark   June 12, 2014 at 2:07PM
    Bookmark   June 12, 2014 at 4:46PM
kellyslobodian
I think I would not use cowhide,furs and skins are the oppisite of airy they suggest warmth,cozy.I wouldconcider samecurtainrod but linen or even light sheer drapes.I would put the pineapple on the table with linen runner and Ivyplant for summer,Possiblysilk or Faux for centerpiece
    Bookmark   June 13, 2014 at 3:20AM
kellyslobodian
I have a similar table and chairs and have used it without a leaf in the window with pretty lamp,accessories two or three chairs with it,like library tabledrawingroom and used other chairs in guest rooms until I entertained, Youhavechandalier and must keep table under it but could still minimize it,expose those gorgeous floors and put some linen plants glass decorative airy items or pineapple
    Bookmark   June 13, 2014 at 1:28PM
flair lighting
Change the wall sconces! they do not go with your chandelier or your awesome horse painting. if you want to date the look i would take them out and put something more updated in. the one i like has a mica stone shade which has a natural feel, go well with the rug and the painting. or the honed onyx which is also lovely.
    Bookmark   June 13, 2014 at 1:51PM
anne dee
@flair lighting
the second sconce is so fluid. Lovely!
art nouveau?
1 Like    Bookmark   June 13, 2014 at 6:09PM
karenmacy
Flair lighting. The sconces are the same finish and style as the chandelier, but I will take a second look at them. Thank you for the comments! I will be switching out accessories ASAP. Any suggestions on how to better link living rm ( pic posted in comments) to dining rm ?and should I replace cowhide with my rusty, blue gold and black oriental rug? Too dark?
1 Like    Bookmark   June 14, 2014 at 4:01AM
chookchook2
I repeat colours in both rooms. Not necessarily in the same way.
    Bookmark   June 14, 2014 at 4:47AM
kellyslobodian
Oriental soundsrichclassic.Concider putting buffetinlivingroom as console table or wall pieces for summer,creatflexible space,room.I have the same QA table and buffet al little dated too much dark wood in space and nice change expose more floors.lightendrapes.
    Bookmark   June 14, 2014 at 4:52PM
kellyslobodian
Forsummerkeep same rod but use linen or sheers.The table andbuffet are both good pieces just perhaps not wedded to each other use in livingroom library or entry hall,. of course unless you do a lot of entertaining buffet style,I used to not much anymore.Diningroom uses change,would seem more airy with less furniture and lighting.
    Bookmark   June 14, 2014 at 5:05PM
Ceiling ideas. For the budget minded
We have a small cottage fixer gradually we are working...
Karyn Jolink
Gorgeous! Would you mind sharing the materials and colors?
What kind of siding did you use? What windows are...
earthmama1968
Need ideas for Kitchen Island in new modern kitchen. Last detail...Help!! (please)
My last 2 details in the kitchen are a fan (bladeless...
lisa N
What style is this house? Want to add detail.
Does anyone know what style house this is? I would...
Sarah Queen
Log Home Column to Beam Detail Ideas...?
I'm trying to design a structural log beam bracket...
Studio M Engineers
Need help deciding options for opening doorway to kitchen
Any advice? We want to open up the kitchen so are considering...
michelle_ekkert
Kitchen design in progress
Here's another good example of our interior design...
VANGUARD development
design disaster...House
So confused ... wall paint ... furniture ...? I just...
shielawebster
please suggest suitable indoor plants for my bathroom
Hi all, Regards from India.. Here are few photos...
Soumita Roy Choudhury
suggest indoor plants for my bathroom
Soumita Roy Choudhury