Landscape Suggestions Welcome!
lea811
We recently bought this house and are starting to plan the landscaping for the backyard. (Hot tub is just sitting there at the moment.) We want to have some type of paver/stamped concrete pad for the hot tub and possibly a firepit/fireplace. Our basement is finished and we don't want to block the daylight windows. We want to make it inviting w/o blocking a lot of the water views. I do think the yard needs some trees--possibly in a bermed/raised bed. We love perennials and a fountain would be a bonus. Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks!
Glenna Partridge Garden Design
Hi lea811,

I have a client that is on a river with rural views that I did not want to block. I keep a very low perimeter of boxwood as a way to contain the space and also to discourage my client's grandchildren from getting too close to the edge of the water. The beds are raised and I've planted a variety of low to medium height cottage style plants like grasses, lavender, some roses and herbs for a relaxed effect. We have keep the larger specimens to the perimeter so we don't block the view. I do however place containers with some height in key areas. Your garden shouldn't block the view but a few well chosen plants help create some depth to the view. My client's also have a hot tub by a flagstone patio area. A little cottage/shed is built for a change room. Raised wooden walkways float through garden beds and are near the house for lounging areas.

I've attached a few pics but you can see more on my listing under the project Cottage Perennial. It would also be helpful to list what USDA zone you are in or Canadian plant zone...then we can suggest plants that would work in your area. Also, how is the water table in your area? Since you are right on the water I would suggest raised beds. I hope this helps!
0 Likes   March 19, 2012 at 7:16PM
tracesam
start by defining what you what like to do in the garden......do you want to sit by the lake, so you want to have a picking garden i.e. pick flowers for the house. Would you like a rose arbour/fruit arbour? I have walked through an arbour of fruit trees, grown flat against one wall whilst arching over the walkway - very impressive and may interest you. how much time and what seasons will you be using the garden? would you like a period style garden? make a list of questions to ask yourself and the family and then look for examples of these,compile your data and then take all of your "likes" to a designer or nursery. Good luck
0 Likes   March 20, 2012 at 4:25AM
Timothy Sheehan, ASLA
Definitely figure out the plan and not just the planting. I might create a patio at the bottom of the stairs with a seating wall/fireplace to start creating some separation of space. Connect to the hot tub area but don't be too connected, you've got plenty of room. Keep the shrubs low and use perennials and groundcovers but make sure to get some more tree canopy in the yard to help scale down the house. Also get big bushy shrubs, viburnums, lilacs, etc in front of the side of the deck (left side of photo) to help diminish the impact of all that. Good luck!
1 Like   March 20, 2012 at 7:42AM
lea811
Thanks so much for the drawing--it really helps me visualize what it could look like. I like your version better than what I was thinking. Would you keep the hot tub where it is, then, and possibly connect the pad for it to the circular patio with some type of walkway or path?
0 Likes   March 20, 2012 at 8:53AM
lea811
Glenna, thanks for the suggestions. I looked through all of your photos and found some great ideas for what I'm thinking as far as plants go. Your containers are beautiful!
0 Likes   March 20, 2012 at 8:54AM
North American Materials & Manufacturing
I think that no matter what direction you go in, you could add some color with a pop! You should check out Colored Shell Mulch Alternative! Go to www.GreenGroundEffects.com for more info and feel free to give us a call so we can send you a sample!
0 Likes   March 20, 2012 at 11:01AM
Timothy Sheehan, ASLA
I think the hot tub works fairly well in that general location. It could all be connected as one patio, but have a planting bed that screens the sides of the hot tub a little so it's not right in your face all the time, but still have visual connection so you can see people in there (like kids) while the ground-ups are hanging around on the patio.
0 Likes   March 20, 2012 at 11:53AM
How tall should my baseboards be in my new build?
My builder gave me a couple choices of baseboard heights...
Need the perfect Taupe wall paint for a great room/kitchen area
I'm trying to find a nice taupe wall color that will...
I can't decide between rugs
I am purchasing my first wool rug, a big investment...
I need help completing this space
I have begun to decorate my living room. The sofa...