Yay or Nay? TV in the kitchen

Luke BuckleJune 9, 2014
Installing a TV in the kitchen may be a way to make your kitchen chores seem more entertaining, but I wonder if that's the reality. If we have no spaces where peace and quiet can never be interrupted, can our minds truly rest?

Where do you stand on this - is the kitchen it a screen too far or would it make washing the dishes more enjoyable for you?

Tile and Television · More Info
Yay - would love to
Nay. Screentime overload!
Already have!
blrussell
No, just because my last 3 houses I have been able to see the tv in the family room from the kitchen. It is nice to have on when I want it.
3 Likes    Bookmark   June 10, 2014 at 6:28PM
Studio M Interior Design
I'd say no on the kitchen television. Plus, an iPad stand works just as well and is less intrusive :)
2 Likes    Bookmark   June 10, 2014 at 6:49PM
HI -- I am a firm believer in " not " having a TV in the kitchen , or the bedroom , or the bathroom. There is not enough on TV that is worth watching in every room.
1 Like    Bookmark   June 10, 2014 at 7:04PM
Jason Chuck
No TV but an ipad holder from the bottom of the cabinets when reviewing online recipes would be awesome, or a cool cutting board one like this!
iPad / Cookbook Holder · More Info
-
    Bookmark   June 16, 2014 at 4:20PM
cabingirl13
Are you kidding- no way! We only have 1 in the whole house and it doesn't even get used that much.
    Bookmark   June 16, 2014 at 4:29PM
Jake Kin
Hi! I would have to say no to the kitchen television. A few people have great suggestions with the Ipad!
    Bookmark   June 16, 2014 at 4:39PM
Designcorp Architects
From the image above, it looks like a pretty good idea! Its better than looking onto a tiled wall. To cater for those who don't like the idea, maybe the splashback can be black such that the screen can be camouflaged.
    Bookmark   June 18, 2014 at 11:51PM
Barbara
Would not just want to but am going to have a tv in the dining, which is where in the country, is the eat and meat area and breckie of course so the news has to be on.
Then whilst doing my dishes, I will be able to see the tv in the lounge, so it will definitely be easier to do the mundane things.
I say doing the dishes and I keep forgetting I'm having a dishwasher in my new home as currently I am the dishwasher but the sink will still get heaps of use ha-ha
We are not daytime tv watchers normally in the months that work can be done outside but during winter is another story.
    Bookmark   February 4, 2015 at 2:48AM
Sandra Wood
No way! The kitchen is a place for family time. There is nothing good to watch on TV anyway ;)
    Bookmark   February 5, 2015 at 5:36PM
harryinahurry
I have had a TV in the kitchen/dining room, was great when preparing dinner after work as we could have the 6 o'clock ABC shows (in Australia) and the news etc. Usually turned it off when we sat down to eat. There are just two of us, if there were kids around would still maybe have the ability to keep an eye on what they are watching, chat to them and get dinner ready? I guess it depends on what the kitchen/dining/living room configuration is. Would only consider it at dinner time, the rest of the day is for things other than television!
1 Like    Bookmark   February 14, 2015 at 2:47PM
Barbara
@harryinahurry,
I agree with you as there are only two of us too.
I think the very negative or passionate "No's" have come from people predominantly with children and that's certainly fine, as of course parents would want to interact with their children but the other thing is, that I don't watch mindless shows like soapies, I too like the news and informative programs like Insight, Landline etc...etc...and if you have opted like me at times to have a cooking day when it's cold and miserable outside or too darn hot to step outside, then a good tv show and the smell of freshly cooked muffins go together like wine and cheese ha-ha
Cheers,
Barbara
2 Likes    Bookmark   February 14, 2015 at 3:30PM
Yay or Nay? Stainless Steel Dining Tables
The feel of cold steel is a sure sign of an industrial...
HouzzAU
Indoor waterfalls... Yay or Nay?
They're gorgeous and definitely adds that extra oomph...
nanmccabe
Worldly Wednesday: Industrial interior, yay or nay?
Are you a fan of the Industrial look? Let us know on...
Jeannie Nguyen
Yay or Nay? Open shelves
Do you like the open shelf look in the kitchen?
nikkiseashores
Built in bookshelves--yay or nay?
Hi all, We have a LOT of books, and we need to figure...
moneypenny02
I need help with bedroom n livingroom
Hi, I started to redo my appartment, and Im stuck with...
Ahmed Alyahiawi
UP IN THE AIR FRONT DOOR!
"UP IN THE AIR" Please help with our second...
teresatrax
I need help with bedroom n livingroom
Ahmed Alyahiawi
Kitchen floor ideas
We are buying a house built in 1948, and the owner...
sarahfellner
Please help completing my great room
It is a very bare space at the moment as I have focused...
Stefanie