Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
korinita

Stumped: What would you do to update this kitchen on a limited budget?

korinita
9 years ago
Everything looks a bit worn and dated. What would you update first? materials, color scheme?

Comments (35)

• korinita
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Dark or light counter tops?
  • PRO
    Gantt's Decorating
    9 years ago
    I understand tile counter tops are not desirable because they are hard to clean and the grout can harbor germs. You might want to replace it with a stone close to the back splash color. You might add some color with the chairs and canisters etc. Other than that you have a great kitchen, beautifully blended and practical. "Updating" is overrated and a gimmick to make you want to replace good appliances before they are irreparable. You have a classic. Enjoy it!!Bill
  • korinita
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks for this feedback! The appliances are new, it's just the countertops and cabinets that are old, so that's helpful advice.
  • mfwolfe
    9 years ago
    It is very monochromatic so a new countertop could add some color. Look at laminates. Very affordable and a wide variety of looks.
  • PRO
    S&K Interiors LLC
    9 years ago
    I recommend painting the cabinets a grayish white or a cool color like gray or blue to break up all the yellow tones in the room. Just painting the cabinets will transform the look of the kitchen. Change the cabinet hardware and if the budget allow replace the counter tops.
  • beachlily
    9 years ago
    Countertops first....maybe replace some upper cabs with glass doors to break it up. Keep cabinets as they are.
  • beachlily
    9 years ago
    Also replace backsplash with glass tiles...will look awesome!
  • PRO
    Duncan's Creative Kitchens
    9 years ago
    Define 'limited budget'.

If you have a few thousand dollars to spend, then I think you are getting some great advice above - I would spend that money on countertops and backsplash.

If it is significantly less, you might want to consider purchasing accessories in a coordinated, bold color. A selection of counter appliances, accents, and textiles in one color (say red or blue or green - whatever you prefer) could liven up the space for a few hundred dollars instead of a few thousand.
  • feeny
    9 years ago
    I agree. New countertops and backsplash will update the kitchen nicely, and the materials don't have to be too expensive. There are beautiful laminates.
  • Aida H.
    9 years ago
    You have a really great kitchen! I agree, I would upgrade the center tops to quartz or granite as well as the backsplash. My past research for a kitchen reno revealed quartz to be more affordable, have more color options and easier to care for than granite. To me the cabinets look good however, after doing the countertops, they may/may not look as good. Changing the knobs, or as suggested a couple of doors to glass, may change the whole look. Good luck and pleas post pics when your project is done.
  • fredm51
    9 years ago
    Your kitchen seems to be one big orange mass. I do not want to offend you but on a limited budget the floors are not going anywhere. The cabinets should get painted. countertops next and a new backsplash. You can do it in stages. but painting the cabinets should be first.
  • Denita
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    I think you can get an entirely different look by changing the countertop and backsplash which would be a more cost effective solution. Take a look at this example below (2 views)
    Artisan Kitchen Remodel · More Info

Artisan Kitchen Remodel · More Info

Here is another example
    Oak Kitchen Cabinets | Dayton Door Style | CliqStudios · More Info
  • PRO
    Warner Decor
    9 years ago
    I know it may sound silly, but I always recommend starting small, especially on a budget! I also am typically on a budget so I try to make smaller purchases that will make large changes. I think adding color in the way of a centerpiece on the island may help. Here are a few ideas for you:

http://deciture.com/attractive-styled-elegant-bamboo-laquer-vase/

http://deciture.com/bindea-large-hand-painted-vase/

http://deciture.com/crestly-large-vase/

http://deciture.com/peyton-handpainted-vases-set-of-3/

Hope this helps you!
  • PRO
    S&K Interiors LLC
    9 years ago
    If you don't want to committ to painting all the cabinets then just paint the lower cabinets to break up all the yellow/orange woods
  • cathibrew
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    I don't think painting the cabinets is necessary to update your kitchen. If the cabinets are in good shape I would leave them alone for now. If money is tight don't even bother with the countertops yet. Update the hardware and throw in some turquoise in the barstools and in some other items around the kitchen and it will make a huge difference. A centerpiece on your island and some rugs would also help tremendously.
  • flopsycat1
    9 years ago
    As other posters have said, much depends on the limitations of your budget. Your kitchen looks very nice, but would benefit from some cosmetic upgrades, primarily countertops and backsplash. Back painted glass backsplashes are very cool and easy maintenance. More colorful and modern counter stools as well as the little desk stool would add instant visual appeal. So many choices!
  • flopsycat1
    9 years ago
    Hadn't seen cathibrew's suggestion for turquoise barstools before posting that pic!
  • armchairshopper
    9 years ago
    One possible economical approach would be to:
    1. Paint the wooden cabinet knobs glossy black to make them stand out and and match other elements in your kitchen. If you are going to change them out anyway, you don't have much to lose. Just remove the knobs first and go by your neighborhood paint store and follow their instructions.
    2. Paint the walls above the cabinets in a color that you enjoy.
    3. Buy some washable throw rugs to pick up your accent color.
    I tried to show this in Sketchbook express, but my skills with this software are less than I would like.
  • PRO
    DirectSinks
    9 years ago
    Just like everyone else is saying, replace the counter tops, backsplash, and of course the sink :) The white faucet and sink, just looks out of place with your new appliances, and island top. I would then pick a vibrant paint color that will pull the whole look together. You can definitely do a rustic/earthy kitchen with those cabinets as is.
  • korinita
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks everyone -- great suggestions. Do you think a faux marble countertop would look better, or a charcoal/black colored one? I'm thinking a bright backsplash color. Maybe event turquoise as suggested.
  • armchairshopper
    9 years ago
    A few years back, when I was young and broke, I bought a house with a kitchen with a tiled backsplash in multiple outdated colors. That taught me two things:
    1. Tiled backsplashes should be neutral so that they do not become outdated quickly.
    2. Since backsplash is not in a wear area, individual tiles can be painted with an oil-base paint to change an accent color. If you are going to tear your cabinet tile and backsplash out anyway, it would not hurt to try painting a few spaced tiles with your accent color.
  • korinita
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Also, I wonder if changing the flooring to a modern tile would help break up the sea of wood? Maybe a dark grey tile? Or would it be too dark. Love the turquoise idea.
  • armchairshopper
    9 years ago
    If you are on a budget, I would suggest changing the color of the floor to a darker richer color. Your local paint store will have many color samples from which to chose and can tell you which materials to use and how to apply them. I prefer paint stores that cater to professional painters and have long term employees, as opposed to big box stores with minimum wage employees and high turnover.
  • armchairshopper
    9 years ago
    Try the do it yourself with paint approach first. It will give you a change and won't cost much. You can always go back later and try the costlier approach if you still are not happy.
  • PRO
    A Design Eye
    9 years ago
    I recommend; painting the cabinets, replacing the countertops and backsplash. I would say they are equally important to getting a new look to your kitchen. Do them separately and when you can afford.
  • cctuttle
    9 years ago
    Counter tops and backsplash changes will go along way to add some needed contrast. Consider matching the black of the island. Also instead of painting the cabinets add stainless steel and glass cabinets above the existing upper cabinets eliminating that top empty space. This will break up the mass of wood and give you more storage. If these are lighted with some colorful dishes or pottery it would add color and interest. If you paint anything paint the island cabinet cream colored. You have great windows too! Consider dressing them with a splash of color solid or large multi color print your choice. You do not show the ceiling in the picture but the two light fixtures (which appear to be over the sink but must actually be over the island) are lost because their color is so nearly the same as the wood and they are small in size. If possible put one big statement light fixture right in the middle perhaps with a big white drum shade. The teal color is very nice however choose a more muted color with a bit more green to it. Sage green is another great choice and would be beautiful with your wood, stainless steel and the black.
  • User
    9 years ago
    Just noticed that tiny desk. Not sure what I'd want to do, but that really dates the kitchen. With mobile devices and islands, desks in kitchens don't make sense anymore.
  • Sheri
    9 years ago
    I like your cabinets. Depending on your budget, I would get a new countertop in the material of your choice, a new updated backsplash and change out the cabinet hardware and I think you'll be set.
  • cctuttle
    9 years ago
    Agree desks don't make sense in a kitchen anymore. How about a floor to ceiling pantry?
  • lucindalane
    9 years ago
    I think your cabinets are very pretty. The wood is lovely, IMO. Also, IMO, if you can go down and buy the same cabinets off of a showroom floor-whether it's a "big box" store or a custom place, they are not out of date-and your cabinets seem to be a classic raised panel shaker style, I believe. The wood tone, I suppose, is a matter of personal taste, but I think that yours brightens up the kitchen,. If they are in need of a good cleaning because of grease build up, etc., there are products you can use that do a great job of freshening them up.
    You've already added some really major, big ticket items already with the new appliances, lighting, etc. So I also agree that the only thing that you need is to add some updated counter space. If you have no objection to having some very high quality laminate, I know that I recently saw some info out here about some new Formica. Here's a link: http://www.houzz.com/projects/319361/Kitchen-Countertops-and-Cabinets
    I think that a dark counter would look better; you could use the same kind of material you used on the island. If you wanted a floor that didn't seem to blend in with the cabinetry, here's a photo of a dark, marble look floor. This photo also has a blue wall-and if you want to get away from colors that emphasize the "yellow" tones in the room already, then going off in a direction like blue or gray would seem to be a way to accomplish that.

As for the desk, I think that is a matter of personal taste and/or need. You could certainly adapt the desk to be a station in the kitchen for tech items, like phone charging, or a place for a tablet or a small laptop. It wouldn't have to be a general office type thing-some people use their computers to access cooking sites or kitchen info. So, the use could still be relevant to the space, if that is what is desired or needed.
  • keenplanner
    9 years ago
    It's got good bones, but Like others have suggested: PAINT
    Remember that the bottom cabinets don't need to be the same color as the wall cabinets, and they shouldn't be too shiny.
    Get an undermount sink and an interesting color countertop, cesarstone or the like. I think granite is getting very tiresome. Not that it's a bad product, it just so overused. How about getting rid of the island and installing a big restaruant worktable. They're functional and beautiful, and everyone can gather around to chop, and then eat!
    korinita thanked keenplanner
  • PRO
    Ku Interior Design
    9 years ago
    Replace the counter, backsplash, and cabinet hardware. Refinish the floor so there is contrast between the cabinets and floor.
    korinita thanked Ku Interior Design
  • goddessview
    9 years ago
    inexpensive fixes…bold dark larger hardware, colorful areal rugs and canisters etc.
    large glass counter fixtures. Bigger investment but would make a huge difference. Change backslash and counters
  • cristalella7
    9 years ago
    paint your cupboards white, replace the tile worktop with the same granite as the island bench, tile over the wooden floor with a dark grey and put black painted glass splashbacks. (regular 5 mm glass painted on the backside with black paint.) decorate with silver candles etc. you will be revolutionalized by the effect!!!!