Awkward.
Stacey Wales
June 9, 2014 in Design Dilemma
Our house is mid sixties red brick, with a few original features and a few dodgy additions. We love vintage, repurposed style which is lucky as we have little money for new stuff! A stairway has been added at some point in the past and will eventually need replacing, but at this point, that isn't an option. This space us attracting junk and dvds, not sure what to do with it. I am planning on painting the room probably white, putting a large image above the lounge, hanging blue and green paiskey curtains and painting the tv cabinet a bright colour, but am open to suggestions. What would you do given we have no budget at present for demolition and rebuild of the awkward staircase.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
houseatthelake
How about building in some DVD storage here. Do you know what's behind this area? Maybe you could build into this wall?
June 10, 2014 at 4:40am   
PRO
Warner Decor
I think leaning a group of art pieces may look nice! Here are a few ideas for you:
http://deciture.com/elberta-handpainted-wall-art-set-of-4/ (love the colors)

http://deciture.com/haden-wall-canvas-set-of-4/

Hope this helps you!
June 10, 2014 at 6:30am   
Maureen
This area could be so interesting! Perhaps making it a feature wall - like you really wanted it! by painting it a dark blue or green that will coordinate with your other colors. On top shelf, add masks or clay bowls, candles...whatever your taste is in a group of three. . On bottom shelf place a great art piece low down on wall, a small lamp (if you have an outlet near by) and a basket or two (with covers) to hold your CDs and miscellaneous items. If you could have a mirror cut to the same shape, add to the side panel.
June 10, 2014 at 6:47am   
PRO
CDR Design
Need more photos of the room. But, what I am thinking is that you should build an identical "stairway on the other end. Then, place the couch in the center or build a window seat in the window.

The stairs will become bookshelves.

Can you place the tv elsewhere in the room?
June 10, 2014 at 7:00am   
studio10001
You might try framing in the top step and drywalling; that way the upper 2/3 could have open shelving to contain all the dvds neatly,and a hardwired sconce to see them by. The bottom area could house an aquarium, ventless fireplace, dry bar, houseplant display, etc.
June 10, 2014 at 7:17am