we need a fantastic surround for our new fireplace. Brushed chrome and onyx crystals deserve a big wow factor
jxctor
what stone material to use? Granite or an interesting tile? what color? would you have a mantle? surround? we are stuck and do not want to make a mistake
Monique Jacqueline Design
Would love to see more of the wall above the fireplace and maybe some photos of your existing spaces to get a feel of how to direct you. You can email me privately, if you wish, moniqueflesher@gmail.com.
Cheers!
m.
March 19, 2012 at 6:10PM   
DesignHouse Inc - House Plans
It would be helpful if we could see more of the area. It would also be helpful if we could get an idea of your taste/style.
March 20, 2012 at 8:34AM     
BDWG Concrete Studio
How about concrete? The possibilities are endless.....
March 20, 2012 at 8:43AM   
Wood Haven, Inc.
Chrome and Onyx Crystals do deserve something special and they are somewhat modern selections. So my thought is Hardwood Rainscreen, it is often used to incorporate the warmth of wood into modern designs. You can read more about Hardwood Rainscreens at www.rainscreenclip.com
Here it is used for a fireplace surround...although it is on a rooftop!
March 20, 2012 at 12:16PM     
inkwitch
Because the fireplace itself has a glass front, doing away with the hearth in a different material from the floor -- in other words, make the hearth the same as the flooring -- would give it more of a suspended appearance. The fact that there is a "banding" to the area will be enough to designate a hearth concept on the floor.
March 21, 2012 at 3:10AM     
Cambiare Design
How about some really interesting slate? It can be treated to either be shiny or matte and would be a neat contrast to the chrome/onyx. I agree it would help to see more of the area....best of luck, would love to see the outcome!
March 21, 2012 at 9:47AM   
Mona Ives
I like the slate idea, but if you want something more sleek, I would suggest a large scale tile with a metallic finish on it. I wish I knew the manufacturer or had a link but go to the most prolific tile store in your area and look for this. They look as if silver, bronze and other natural colors have been painted onto the tiles.
March 21, 2012 at 1:19PM   
jxctor
Thanks for your interest and comments so far. I am attaching a better photo that shows the fireplace from straight on with the new insert superimposed. The tiles sitting in the hearth area are there only to test depth as are the pieces of hardwood flooring. The area above the fireplace is a simple drywall surface terminating at an eight foot ceiling. The fireplace is 68 inches wide and centered on a 16 foot wall.
March 21, 2012 at 3:49PM   
Monique Jacqueline Design
This is a better photo, but we still, no guidance has been provided as to which style/feel you are looking for. Do you want a traditional design, modern, eclectic, etc. What colour scheme do you like? Do you have a common colour running through your home that you want to incorporate, or is there a new colour scheme you would like to bring in. Is there an adjoining space open to this room that needs to be tied in to the design and feel of this space?? The more details you can provide will help us to provide some options for you that are right to your desires.
Cheers!
m.
March 21, 2012 at 5:55PM   
Airoom Architects-Builders-Remodelers
How about split face mosaic tile. It has a beautiful and modern aplication, while still making the space warm. It will look nice with your hardwood floor.
March 22, 2012 at 9:34AM   
jxctor
Thank you again for comments and ideas. As requested, I am attaching a few photos of the adjacent space. One photo shows the sofa which is across from the fireplace. Second photo shows our dinette with the fireplace in the background. The third photo is the balance of our kitchen decor.
March 22, 2012 at 3:36PM   
efxdesign
I like your neutral palette. Based on your existing decor, my initial thoughts are that you should pursue a contemporary solution (but not "modern"). Also, as this is conversion I assume from a wood-burning, masonry, fireplace using an insert (versus zero-clearance), you will be required to have mandatory fire-resistant material behind the black sheet metal surround and, if a mantle is used, it will need to be a mandatory height above the mouth of the firebox. That will dictate the height.

As such, you have a few options: 1) cover the entire brick surface with the "fire-resistant material" (eg. granite, marble, quartz-based, natural stone) or 2) build a simple (i.e not fussy or traditional) surround to frame the fire-resistant material. In either case a mantle could be added if desired.

I'll think about this further.
March 22, 2012 at 5:15PM   
Lynn Oxenford
I see the blond wood floor, and cool blue on the walls, so take a look at this link

the light gray stone brings out the blue, and the gold tones flow with the flooring. It looks to match all the colors though out.
March 22, 2012 at 8:50PM   
betsyweisberg
I suggest Calcutta marble tiles. Sleek timeless and elegant. Using marble will brings the white from your kitchen across the room.
March 23, 2012 at 6:09AM   
Monique Jacqueline Design
Thank you for providing photos of your existing space. It really helps set the theme! I think that a solid carrera marble front would be beautiful. It would tie in the white from the kitchen and the grey from the tiled flooring.

I put some photos in my ideabook, fireplaces for your review.
Should you be interested in some assistance in finding the exact feel desired, please feel free to contact me.
Cheers! m.
moniqueflesher@gmail.com
March 25, 2012 at 4:44PM   
COASTROAD Hearth & Patio
Here are a couple of fairly monolithic approaches, which you could tailor to your aesthetic by changing the color of the materials:
April 7, 2012 at 10:36AM   
We just bought a fantastic new home, but we need to make it OUR home
We have been painting and taking down wallpaper, its...
Added a backsplash to see if we could give our kitchen that wow factor
Step 1) Added a glass mosaic backsplash from the home...
Need help with our new Swarovski crystal fireplace wall!
Please help! What can we do with this wall to make...
Small kitchen, needs a big wow factor
Hi! Just bought this house and we're so excited, but...
I need help with my backyard!!!
okay as you can see I use to have a pool in my backyard...
repair claw foot tub
we recently bought an old home that has an old rusty...
Need help on open kitchen and living area.
Need suggestions on kitchen, living room and dining...
Kitchen ideals
What could I do to update this kitchen?
Screening/Hiding unsightly area ideas pls!
I'd like to hide these unsightly electrical boxes....