What can I do with this ugly concrete to make it look better?
hevs
Looking for a low budget idea.
Jessica
First pull all the weeds from the cracks. Power washing might even the color out more by removing some of the dirt. Honestly the shattered part should be taken up and repoured, but that would contrast with the existing parts so for best results the entire area should be re-done at the same time. After a good powerwash (they have various stuff that can be used to clean concrete - look it up as driveway cleaners to get rid of oil stains) you should be able to treat the cracks with something to prevent weeds from growing there for a few months at a time. If you don't want to replace with new concrete, check into what doing it with pavers would cost or decide if you want to keep it at all.
    Bookmark   Thanked by hevs    June 10, 2014 at 5:49AM
hevs
Should have said - I despise it and would like to replace with grass - but not sure how easy it would be to do that?
    Bookmark   June 10, 2014 at 5:51AM
hevs
It serves absolutely no purpose as there is no existing structure that it leads to
    Bookmark   June 10, 2014 at 5:52AM
Maureen
There would be some manual labour involved with this idea, but won't cost very much. Rent a machine that can break up the cement in front of the steps that make up the triangle - would have to judge where best to stop, ie: where flower pot is so other section looks like a separate side pathway. Place random pieces of granite (large enough to step on) in front of steps so you can step from one to the other out as far as you like. You can purchase the granite from a landscaping company and it cost us under a $100 to do something like this (they charge by the pound). Play around with placement and then add sod or if patient, grass seed or even ground cover or moss, etc.
    Bookmark   June 10, 2014 at 6:08AM
mary_dennis44
i would paint the light green color if you don't like it!
    Bookmark   June 10, 2014 at 6:16AM
Genevieve
Yes remove all that grass in between and do minor repairs to the cement ,then if you like you could purchase a kit ,they are stencils .
here is an example http://www.nationalstencil.com/concrete-driveway-stencils.html
    Bookmark   June 10, 2014 at 6:41AM
njmom8285
I agree with everyone else about removing the grass and cleaning of the cement. But, make sure you use a solution that will kill the grass. I think Preen has one. Then power wash and fill the cracks on the patio. You can then paint the cement whatever color you like and, seal it.
That should bring the patio back to life and, give you several years of Joy.
    Bookmark   June 10, 2014 at 6:57AM
flopsycat1
If you can crack up the concrete into large pieces, you could then reposition them into a walkway. Would take some muscle, but I think it would look nice and be a way to recycle the concrete.
    Bookmark   June 10, 2014 at 6:57AM
Jessica
OK. I wasn't sure if you intended to remove, replace, or what. Since you do not want this concrete where it is anymore, the cheapest way to remove it takes lots of muscle and a sledge hammer to break it up, load it into a wheelbarrow and remove to wherever you dispose of it.

Higher tech equipment to bust it up can be rented - for instance a jackhammer or a bobcat with jackhammer attachment.

Once you remove the broken up concrete - fill the resulting holes with "Garden Soil" or "Top Soil" but NOT "Potting soil." You can find garden soil or top soil at most nurseries - or it can be dug from another part of the yard if you have a place you want to level out. Cover with grass seed or sod and you're in business.
2 Likes    Bookmark   June 10, 2014 at 8:21AM
Genevieve
I believe that breaking up the cement is not a wise idea... Sorry!
if you didn't have a path already then one with flag stones could have been done and in time you could have obtained the look that is in the photo above .
In your case a nice edge of creeping Phlox or any other plant that would ad charm to your pathway

Bookmark   June 10, 2014 at 9:35AM
How can I make this brick look better?
We just bought a house with a pretty sizeable brick...
sgreen18
How can I make the flood light in my yard look better?
I have an ugly flood light in my yard and don't know...
thescreecher
What can I do to make not ugly
Old white stucco. Want to do something more than just...
olavallee
What can I do with these ugly fixtures?
I have 4 of these in the family room, 2 on either side...
candace84
Would appreciate any advice on making my ugly house less ugly!
Here is our house. It will need a new roof and I definitely...
emmaal
Kitchen Paint Help
Need help with the wall color for a kitchen, great...
jewhitt
Displaying objects in small home
Small house...and I am a collector! By small...1400...
licksch
Front exterior door color
I just painted my heritage style home Benjamin Moore...
sheilamarshall8
Does this work all together? Dining room.
Dining room that I am having a hard time getting right....
nessievjk
Bedroom
How to make the room look bigger
cathymoose