Need help with small powder room
bkjohnston3535
We have a small powder room/guest bathroom near foyer of house. It is 5.25 X 5.6 feet and is set in a corner. The ceilings are 9.75ft tall. I would like to update the décor and paint. Need advice on how to maximize this small space and any ideas on paint. Thank you! The picture of the two shelves is on the wall that you would be facing if looking away from toilet.
Cabell Design Studio
Hello bkjohnston3535,

Very small! Just a thought, but you might try covering your walls in a very large scale (very large) wallpaper. This will visually blow the proportions out of the door, so to speak. Take a look at a few Houzz examples for inspiration. There are some great large scale papers available and we would be happy to work with you on finding something that suits you:

Parkwood Road Residence Powder Room
Ackerman Residence Renovation/Addition Norwich VT
Streeterville Apartment
Art House

Best of luck with your powder room and please let us know if we can be of additional assistance,
Elizabeth Cabell, ASID, CID
Cabell Design Studio
June 10, 2014 at 8:57AM      Thanked by bkjohnston3535
Aida H.
When you say update the decor, are you referring to a complete renovation? Certainly the current items/fixtures are of a specific style and personal taste and may affect resale. (At first I thought the sink was a baptismal font, very unique.)
This looks like quite a challenge if you are not changing the commode or wash stand. I would think a darker color would make it more depressed with such dark fixtures and it seems that there's not much lighter to go from current color. So how much (more) of a dramatic a change do you want to make?
June 10, 2014 at 9:00AM      Thanked by bkjohnston3535
bellburgmaggie
Not sure how much you are wanting to spend. You can install wallpaper to add drama. If it were my bathroom, I'd contemplate a narrower mirror, and raise the light. I've never been a fan of dark toilets as one can never be assured of when they are clean. As a guest bath you can install a tall toilet which is easier for older guest to use. You can also apply a new finish to the sink base depending on the wallpaper chosen. Powder rooms are one of the few rooms that you can go way over the top and it is OK. Right now, the bathroom is plain. What style are you interested in?
June 10, 2014 at 9:05AM      Thanked by bkjohnston3535
A Design Eye
Remove the shelves, they are adding clutter to such a small room. Wallpaper would be my first choice. Something textured in a dark color. Alternatively you could paint the walls a dark color to make the space come together.
June 10, 2014 at 9:06AM        Thanked by bkjohnston3535
Maureen
If you are not able to change sink and toilet, embrace the black! Add a chair rail and paint black below and wallpaper (not flowers, but something graphic or textured) to the top or vice versa. Remove the shelves from behind the door and the rug. Change mirror to a modern round style with a black or silver frame. Changes taps to chrome and change fixture over sink to something with crystal. Buena Vista Deco;
Portland Mid-Century Modern
June 10, 2014 at 9:21AM      Thanked by bkjohnston3535
cctuttle
Agree with a big colorful print wallpaper or for a more inexpensive fix a bold color of paint. with a black toilet consider something in the green family. Red and black is rather cliché as is black and orange or black and yellow with the bumble bee look. Lime green or Kelly green even teal would be nice. I love the black and white scheme Maureen submitted too. You can go dark and intense because the room is so small it is automatically a small dose and you do not spend much time in the room. If you can change out the sink it would be nice to update it with an ultra modern small sink. Replace the shelves and small picture over the toilet with large graphic prints. Raise and replace the light fixture with stainless. Raise and replace the mirror with something unique like a sunburst frame.
June 10, 2014 at 9:34AM      Thanked by bkjohnston3535
bkjohnston3535
Thank you for all the feedback. I am can change out mirror but will keep the toilet and sink as is. I can potentially change out light fixture. Our house is fairly traditional throughout the rest of the house.
June 10, 2014 at 10:20AM   
bkjohnston3535
Because the rest of the house is fairly traditional - I would like to be a little more bold in the powder room. If I was going to paint a dark color - would a dark grey be ok? Or should I try to use an actual color? If I did paint a dark grey, would a white frame or silver mirror be right or should I go with a black frame?
June 10, 2014 at 10:23AM   
Maureen
I think dark grey would work..but mirror, light and different items for wall will make more of an impact than any color you choose. Good luck and remember, easy to repaint if you don't like. Consider grey and black wallpaper as well to give it some attitude.
June 10, 2014 at 10:28AM      Thanked by bkjohnston3535
cctuttle
Dark gray would look stunning with the wood of the sink. Black for the walls keeping baseboards white would also be very dramatic . Bring in a big mirror perhaps with no frame that mounts about an inch from the wall with stainless or even gold mounting brackets. Bring in big graphic prints with white backgrounds and small frames. Changing the light fixture doesn't have to cost much but will make a big difference - something very sparkly without umber glass.
June 10, 2014 at 11:04AM      Thanked by bkjohnston3535
bkjohnston3535
We did paint the bathroom this week - dark gray. It is Behr "mined coal". I am really happy with the color. Now I just have to figure out art/mirror/light.
June 13, 2014 at 6:26AM   
Maureen
So nice! I might start with the mirror (go large I think as the lights are very high and you need to fill in the area). The light will be easier to find hopefully. Once they are up, you'll know more what would be appropriate on the other wall. I love to see things turn out so well. Thanks for sharing.
June 13, 2014 at 9:21AM   
Aida H.
The color is stunning. Here I thought darker wouldn't work; shame on me!
June 13, 2014 at 12:15PM   
Renovations by AaronSherwood
Hi there, your pedestal vanity is amazing, never seen anything like it, and love the paint colour. I'm including a picture of a small bathroom where they used tile before putting up the mirror and lights. The tile add texture plus the light bounces off it and creates a bit of glimmer and bling. Just a thought, good luck your bathroom is beautiful already.
June 13, 2014 at 12:48PM     
cctuttle
Like the oval shape of the mirror above - try it in soft gold or perhaps a sunburst style
June 13, 2014 at 8:01PM   
Maureen
Thought about it .. try holding your old mirror up and see how it feels. Could work with a more updated light fixture?
June 14, 2014 at 6:00AM   
Fireplace Help
We are moving into our first home soon, and the biggest...
Picking countertop
Need help choosing countertop to go with my new flooring....
What do I need to do with this space?
Just got the Farm House table, bench, and hutch for...
need help with a small laundry space
I need help redesigning a small laundry area that is...
Backsplash
What was used for the backsplash? were they tiles or...