Need help how to place furniture in my living room
Reagan Jobe Photography
June 11, 2014 in Design Dilemma
My wife and I bought a new house back in February. We love the place and we love the bones of the house. We are having some issue though selecting and laying out furniture for our family room. It is 169" deep and 278” across. We have entrances from the entry to the house and the kitchen on either side of the room. You can get a general idea on what the room looks like from the attached photo and layout I put together. Does anyone have any ideas they could help me with?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Reagan Jobe Photography
Please also know that the furniture in the room is not ours it was before we bought the house.
0 Likes   June 11, 2014 at 8:42AM
ncreature
Well the obvious architectural focal point is the fireplace wall and those windows. So I would think that your seating group would be arranged to that. A sofa facing the fireplace and a couple of nice arm chairs or club chairs (medium sized not huge), to either side of the sofa or directly facing the sofa (back to the fireplace) arranged on an area rug would probably work just fine. Again you want people moving around your seating area not through it. Throw in a nice coffee table and some side tables, lamps and perhaps a credenza on the far wall and some artwork and accessories and you should be pretty set. I would lean traditional with the furniture but not excessively so. I feel though that perhaps the room dictates a certain delicacy and lightness of scale (the heavy sofas in the picture, for example are too heavy and too contemporary and the chair is more appropriate to the room but again maybe too big). Replacing the miniblinds with white shutters would give the room some style. Also whatever that trim is above the fireplace surrounding the TV ought not be there. There are more elegant solutions especially since the cables are running down the side of the fireplace (that TV also seems mounted very high as well).
0 Likes   June 13, 2014 at 1:32AM
njmomma
I think you may be able to have depending on the size of the pieces, a sofa, love seat and two chairs in a u-shape facing the fireplace to get the most seating in the room.

Living Room
Family Room
0 Likes   June 13, 2014 at 3:11AM
njmomma
A sectional will also work with two chairs. In fact, it may be a better option, because you won't need end tables.

0 Likes   June 13, 2014 at 3:14AM
PRO
Thos. Baker
Your seating arrangement will have to be centered between the two entrances facing the fireplace (similar to the sofas in the photo you posted). A sectional sofa or cozy 3-sided grouping would work well, depending on how much seating you want to have for family or entertaining.

It's a lovely room full of light that calls for neutrals or softer colors. The black sofas are way too heavy for the room. I'm not sure what the frame around the television is, but it needs to be removed, as it looks out of place.

Am posting photos to give you visual ideas for creating this space. Congratulations on your new home!

Christi, on behalf of Thos. Baker
1 Like   June 13, 2014 at 4:15AM
PRO
Madden, Slick & Bontempo, Inc
Just a different idea, moving the TV to another wall. I would also remove the trim above the fireplace or maybe, have a mirror cut to fit. It's a beautiful room!
ideas
Fort Worth Home
1 Like   June 17, 2014 at 11:50AM
anne dee
another idea for furniture placement
1 Like   June 17, 2014 at 12:05PM
PRO
Reagan Jobe Photography
Thank you for these great ideas! I didn’t expect such a great response. As interior designers how do you feel about putting a TV on the wall as Madden, Slick & Bontempo suggested, if the profile of the TV will be seen from the front door? I love the idea of fully utilizing the space as that floor plan suggests.

Thank you again for all of the advice. I’ll update you once we get closer to having everything installed.
1 Like   June 17, 2014 at 12:34PM
anne dee
I'm not an Interior designer but I like the suggestion of MS&B inc. for placing the TV on the other wall and not over the fireplace.
You have a great space and should be used to it's full potential.
0 Likes   June 17, 2014 at 12:42PM
PRO
Thos. Baker
MS&B's idea is good one, as the fireplace is still a focal point with the sofa and it's nice to utilize the space above the fireplace for art or accents, rather than a TV. The only suggestion I would add is using a sofa table in place of the desk with two chairs.

1 Like   June 17, 2014 at 2:12PM
PRO
Madden, Slick & Bontempo, Inc
I hadn't really thought about this room being off the front door because you said "family room". It is something to consider. It would really depend on how formal you wanted the room to be. It doesn't bother me, but if you wanted, you could enclose the TV in something like this over a narrow buffet. There are many other options too.
1 Like   June 18, 2014 at 12:33PM
PRO
Thos. Baker
MS&B....enclosing the TV in decorative cabinet is an excellent idea! Even if it is a family room, in the first response above, ncreature wrote, "...the room dictates a certain delicacy and lightness of scale..." which, in my mind, perfectly defined the direction of the room.

But, back to the decorative cabinet -- not only an excellent idea for placement above a console or buffet, but over a fire place as well.

1 Like   June 18, 2014 at 2:44PM