Aage-In-Place bathrooms.
skooltchr
We live in a small house built in the late 50's. We want to re-do both bathrooms and make them age-in-place appropriate. Neither room is very big. Where to begin? We live in San Diego. Does anyone have any recommendations? Also, do we have to have a bathtub in one of the rooms, or can we just go with 2 showers? (We plan on staying in the house until it is no longer possible, then passing it on to our children)
Lampert Dias Architects, Inc.
If possible widen all of your doors to 36".........This is what you would need if you ever are in a wheelchair......

I don't think that you will need a tub.........Ideally you should have at least one shower that you can roll your wheelchair into.

You might want to post a floor plan of your house......Maybe there are options that you are not thinking of .........and you may get some great advice if you post the floor plan.......
0 Likes   Thanked by skooltchr    June 11, 2014 at 10:04PM
Curt D'Onofrio
Have at least one bathroom converted to a wet room. In these wet rooms there is no step over, so no matter the age of people (young and old alike) they can still be used. The idea is this : People in general "see" themselves as being self sufficient. To help them (me) someone needs to make bathrooms really really really easy to use then a persons' dignity is prolonged
0 Likes   Thanked by skooltchr    June 11, 2014 at 11:38PM
skooltchr
Thanks, guys. Here is a little more info. Our front bathroom is 5'x8' with toilet, sink, and tub plumbing all on 1 wall.
The "master bath" (if you can call it that) is 4'x8' with a dinky stall shower on 1 end, and a sink and toilet on the same long wall as the shower fixtures.

I want to install pocket doors in both bathrooms, and reverse the sink and toilet placement in the front bathroom.
0 Likes   July 18, 2014 at 3:57PM
skooltchr
I have also added a few pics of the smaller bathroom. As you can see, I don't have a lot of space to work with, and I am at my wits end.
0 Likes   July 18, 2014 at 4:06PM
skooltchr
Here are a few more shots of the small bathroom. Don't even get me started on the disgusting shower, water-damaged floor, and wall. The area to the right of the shower stall is actually a very small closet that opens into the bedroom. I'd like to take it out and expand the shower. It would add about 15" to the shower space. Not a lot, but every little bit helps. I Aldo want niches wherever possible in both bathrooms to help with storage.
0 Likes   July 18, 2014 at 4:22PM
0 Likes   July 18, 2014 at 4:50PM
Turn a mid-century house into an aging-in-place home
This 1000 sq.ft. 1954 house needs updated heating,...
coolteach72
Wanting to have built ins next to fire place made
What are the dimensions of the built ins? The materials?...
beauandalissa
Aging-in-Place
A bathroom can be set up for Aging-in-Place and still...
Susan Davidson, CAPS
fire place mantle and built-ins ideas pls!
Just looking for some ideas to update the fireplace...we'd...
vmercedes
master bed, bath, closet design - ripped out and stuck!
We have started work on our gut rehab of 1982 Lakehouse,...
Niels Seebeck
Please help me with my wall and table colours.
The pillow fabrics have been placed where they'll go....
glynny
Small house - entry into living room
Recently renovated my approx. 850 sq. foot house and...
Josh Lardinois
Please help completing my great room
It is a very bare space at the moment as I have focused...
Stefanie
Masterbath tile layout
We are building a home and the Masterbath tile was...
leooel14