Need advice for DR Chairs
cslund
I would like to add two more chairs at the ends of my dining room table. I'm thinking upholstered but am open to ideas. Should I do color, printed? Need advice, please.
Teri Waugh, Ethan Allen, Wexford, PA
This is a great opportunity to add color, and pattern. It looks like you have a grey and white theme. You could add any color you would like since grey is a neutral. As for a pattern I would go with something that is organic and not a geometric if you're keeping the area rug. Have fun with it.
June 12, 2014 at 3:15pm     
cslund
Thanks Teri! I agree with everything you said. The one thing I'm a little stuck on is I was planning to wall paper the bottom half of the walls with Slate Sisal grass cloth so then I was feeling like I would need to make sure my chairs go with that too. It's kind of a blue/gray tone. Or maybe I'll skip the wall paper. Thanks for including a photo. It's so helpful.
June 12, 2014 at 3:19pm     
Ann
Due to the rug, I'd go with a solid - either a color similar to the seats of the current chairs or the darker color in the rug. Nice room! I like the room's simplicity and I like your paint color - may I ask what color it is?
June 12, 2014 at 3:44pm     
Teri Waugh, Ethan Allen, Wexford, PA
The sisal wallpaper will just add texture, you could still do color and pattern on the upholstered chairs or leather.
June 12, 2014 at 3:46pm     
bgfuqua
I think the room needs some color.
June 12, 2014 at 3:53pm     
ciscomo
I think a simple upholstered chair would be lovely. The third photo shows the combination of wooden/upholstered chairs. The last photo is a current advice thread "Drapegate" where the homeowner chose linen chairs from Restoration Hardware.

Honore-Transitional Dining Room
Oakley Home Builders
Winnetka Avenue
June 12, 2014 at 4:08pm     
cslund
thanks all.....I agree with needing color. This is brand new construction so I'm slowly pulling rooms together and plan to incorporate color at some point. @Ann - the paint is Amazing Gray/Sherwin Williams.
June 12, 2014 at 4:12pm     
With an unlimited budget, you might go with this: Lulu

In the world I live in, this is more my style: Atlantic Floral and Bird Maxine Dining Chair
June 12, 2014 at 7:11pm     
MichelleRene
I love the start of your room. I can't wait to see what suggestions you receive as well as your finished project.
June 12, 2014 at 7:21pm     
ketron1
Try a large ornate mirror, something with a black frame, over the buffet. Move the flower arrangement to the table center, and maybe change the flower color to a poppy red (reddish-orange).
June 15, 2014 at 6:16am   
shortlisa
Adding a little color and a different texture to the table could be fun. I suggest an orange leather or velvet upholstered chair (simple design). See examples
June 15, 2014 at 6:51am     
anne dee
another couple of ideas as follows
first pic for style contrast
Iris Tufted Vanity Dining Chair with Literary French Script
contemporary
angelo:HOME Marnie Modern Charcoal Black and Cream Paisley Upholstered Dining Ch
ideally 2 chairs that are higher than those in place would be a good idea so that the furniture is not all on the same level.
June 15, 2014 at 11:15am     
Robin Lechner Designs
Since your current setting is so neutral, ANYTHING GOES! Add color, texture, and/or pattern.
June 15, 2014 at 1:48pm     
baingram
I always try to add some interest with pattern and/or colour for the chairs. I find keeping the of the backs close in height to the existing ones works best.
June 15, 2014 at 2:46pm     
cslund
love all of the ideas! love the chair options too. ketron1 - I plan to add a mirror to the spot you suggested. Still looking for that too. Would love suggestions. I really like the PB Egan panel mirror. Or a big round mirror would be pretty. Please send photos or suggestions my way. I added the yellow stems from West Elm and would like add some type of lamp on the other side of the hutch. Thoughts....suggestions? n Thanks everyone!!
June 16, 2014 at 10:42am   
SoCal Contractor
I agree, color and textures add flare into any space.
June 16, 2014 at 10:47am     
anne dee
this mirror's shape will show a unique twist with the windows on either side.
(Horchow,com) mirror source
June 16, 2014 at 11:31am     
cslund
Thanks anne dee...pretty mirror! it says it's 40" tall on the website. if that area between the windows from top of hutch to ceiling is 72"...do you think the mirror is too small for the space?
June 16, 2014 at 12:23pm     
ciscomo
Hi cslund, do you know the measurement from the top of the window frames to the top of he hutch? And the width measurement?
June 16, 2014 at 12:35pm   
cslund
I do...it's 59 inches from the top of the top of the window frame to the top of the hutch. The space between the two windows is 45 inches.
June 16, 2014 at 12:39pm   
anne dee
you could make a template with the correct measurements(height and width)
and place it in the space to see if it will be appropriate.
June 16, 2014 at 1:28pm   
geunderwood
something like the atlantic floral or the light blue would be very pretty.
June 17, 2014 at 6:42am   
ciscomo
Hi, there's something about that space between the windows that I'm not liking for a mirror but I don't know why and I'm not a decorator. I did wonder about leaning a mirror or a piece of art on the buffet?
Dining Room 1

Just curious, do you have any pictures showing the other walls of the room? I looked through your ideabook briefly and noticed the Michael Abrams dining room. His rooms are so elegant but stay very monochromatic.

This art installation from his room looked to me like it might mesh with your room in its current colors. That's partly why I wondered about the other walls.
Dining Room 2
June 17, 2014 at 9:55am   
cslund
I do like the idea of a leaning mirror. Could also do a fun piece of artwork. I'm open to ideas and not totally sold on a mirror. I don't have any other walls within the DR. One wall is windows and one is open to the rest of the main level. Attaching photos.
June 17, 2014 at 10:16am   
ciscomo
OK, in the first photo, the buffet is on the wall to the left? Is what's shown in the second picture behind the photographer in the first picture? Am I missing a "wall". What's on the right in the first picture? (Sorry to be so spacially challenged :)).
June 17, 2014 at 10:47am   
cslund
Yes. The first picture of these two are a different angle...so in this first photo, the hutch would be on the left underneath those two windows. again, if you're looking at the first photo of these two, to the right of the DR table is a column and the front entry. You are not missing a wall. I just took the photos from different angles to thoroughly confuse you (not really) :)
June 17, 2014 at 11:00am   
Ramona
I agree with cisco, a mirror between two windows seems off.
June 17, 2014 at 11:15am   
cslund
appreciate your response Ramona! Can I just ask why you feel that? Just curious?? What do you think should go there?
June 17, 2014 at 11:20am     
anne dee
There's nothing wrong with a mirror between windows.
A mirror in the DR should not reflect anyone while they are dining though!
[you don't want to look up to see someone's reflection while chewing etc. ;-)]
June 17, 2014 at 11:45am   
flair lighting
i know you just got that light.........im guessing so anyway. it looks like a murray feiss. any how...any chance of lowering it a smidge?
June 17, 2014 at 12:28pm     
cslund
@flair lighting - absolutely. That's been on my husband's to-do list for a couple of weeks now!
What is the standard height above the table?
June 17, 2014 at 12:31pm     
flair lighting
well about 2 ft off the top of the table is best maybe a little less.
June 17, 2014 at 12:36pm     
anne dee
Lowering the hanging light will possibly reflect in the mirror should you decide to mount one.
June 17, 2014 at 12:49pm   
LB Interiors
Height for chandelier above a dining table is approx. 36". If crystals fall a bit below, that works too.
June 17, 2014 at 1:01pm     
cslund
LB Interiors - love your idea! I was planning to do a slate grass paper on the lower half of the walls (under the chair rail) but I love the idea of making that one wall the focal point. Also couldn't believe when I saw your circle paper idea, as I saw that one while looking for a paper for my powder bath and LOVED it! Do you think I could do just the one wall or should I do the lower 1/2 all the way around the room? thanks for your suggestions!
June 17, 2014 at 1:59pm     
LB Interiors
I think I would make that high window wall a focal wall. I would dramatize it with wallpaper (maybe also the small side walls) ......... the entire wall above and below the chair rail ....... to help fill the upper space above the chair rail that needs a visual to balance the high window placement.

I would not use a mirror in the center, it would have to be too tall for the scale of the space and would be opposite the guests.

I think for the center of the wall, I would add two stacked artworks to make the center of this room the most focal. Maybe two floor plants under the windows (about 4-5' tall). Plants that are sheer or branchy to not cover the wallpaper. They will add some natural elements and greenery. They will help to balance the entire wall.

I like the circles in this paper to help soften the linear lines in the room.
It is neutral and adds texture with a bit of sparkle.
Eclectic Wallpaper

I like the texture with a bit of sparkle and is different.
Mother of Pearl Wallcovering

I like the delicate contrast with the bolder rug pattern introducing a soft warm background in the room. Plays off of the brown furniture. Is nature inspired.
Mimosa wallpaper
June 17, 2014 at 2:04pm     
cslund
LB Interiors: are the circles too much with the rug?
June 17, 2014 at 2:04pm   
LB Interiors
Thanks. I think I would go for it and do all around the room and the UPPER WALLS too. It depends on how the walls adjoin each other on the other edges of the rooms and how they open to the other spaces. Is there a cut-off point that does not extend to adjoining walls for other areas? I would have to study your other photos of the room.
June 17, 2014 at 2:07pm   
LB Interiors
I love the circles with the rug. I don't think they are too much. The circle lines are thin lines but similar scale with the rug and have enough contrast with the softness and boldness between the patterns. They are also much more delicate and soften all the sharper lines in the room.

Mixing patterns again is coming back and makes a room more interesting. I think you will be seeing more mixed patterns used in rooms.
June 17, 2014 at 2:09pm   
cslund
That's good news. I also agree that there is a subtle softness to the circles that works with the rug. I'm attaching another photo that is a tad bigger. The lower 1/2 of the room is easily sectioned off. The only thing I'm not sure about is the larger wall with the two windows, would you paper the inside of the two "boxes" on each side of the wall or just keep it to the center? (if that makes sense to you)
June 17, 2014 at 2:21pm     
LB Interiors
I would paper the two side walls (boxes). This will help the room to appear wider.
June 17, 2014 at 3:10pm     
LB Interiors
Options:
1. Paper ALL UPPER HALF (all the way around) to further extend the room to feel wider.
... If you want a SIMPLER presentation

2. Paper the WINDOW WALL & SIDE WALLS that are perpendicular to the window wall. FOCAL WALL - The ALCOVE
... Not the front sides of the boxes.

3. Paper the ENTIRE room. UPPER & LOWER walls

I prefer 1. or 2.
June 17, 2014 at 3:16pm     
LB Interiors
It looks like the left side of the window wall box extends down to a lower level? The wallpaper would have to stop at the perpendicular wall sides of the box (column). Inside the window wall alcove.

On the opposite side of the window wall, there is a ledge and window opening. Both these areas seem to be continuous walls into other rooms?

To remedy a wallpaper application that stops in the dining room only........ You can apply 2 vertical strips of molding under the header (approx 1/2"-3/4") to stop the paper from entering another room. No wallpaper inside the 2 moldings. Just to create a stopping point and a decorative finish.

Here is a sketch to visually explain.
June 17, 2014 at 3:41pm     
cslund
LB Interiors...you are wonderful to "work" with! Wish you were in MN! Can I ask you to weigh in on DR chairs for the ends of the table? This would be a great place to add some color. I like the teal/blue chairs in the thread above in the Oakley Builders photo. But would love to get your opinion.
June 18, 2014 at 6:41am     
ciscomo
Hi cslund, love the wallpaper and I think it will work beautifully with your light fixture. What are your chair dimensions? Anxious to hear what LB thinks.

I found these two just playing. Pier1 chair is 24" wide and 35.50" tall - $179.99 each. It has some type of damask on back so it might be too many patterns?
Worldmarket chairs are 21.5" wide, 37" high, seat height is 18" -$319.98 for two.
June 18, 2014 at 7:46am   
cslund
thanks ciscomom4...I appreciate the background work you did. I love the World Market chair and was planning to go look at it today if our local store has it in stock. I've seen the other chair at pier one but I feel like the legs need to be black. The other thing I wasn't sure about with the WM chair is if these are suppose to sit at the ends of the table, it seems to be that they should be similar in height if not taller?? Any rules on that?? My current chairs the back is 41" tall and 19.5 wide.
June 18, 2014 at 9:02am   
cslund
the other thing I was wondering is since my office is very visable to the DR, will the Pacific Lydia chair above clash with the paint in my office. It's more of a blue but called Newburg Green - Benjamin Moore. That chair comes in Atlantic Lydia but I don't think I like it as well?
I'm attaching a photo of my office. It's a hard room to photograph because it has a full wall of windows on the opposite side of the mirror wall.
June 18, 2014 at 9:17am     
ciscomo
Hi, I think the two end chairs, if they are different, should be at least the same height, or higher. So I don't think the world market will work, unless you use them only around the table. I agree the chair legs should be black if your table and other chairs are black. (I actually think the WM chair would go well with your office. It looks like Newberg Green has a blue undertone, so I would think a teal would be fine.)
June 18, 2014 at 12:05pm   
ciscomo
I'm not suggesting you should do this, but thought it might help you decide how you feel about the chair height issue. (I have to have visuals. )

Here's a picture where they matched shorter, wider cane chairs (not to mention a bench) with wooden chairs.

June 18, 2014 at 12:20pm     
ciscomo
I'm just sitting here having a good time with your room, LOL. How do you feel about this chair from Restoration Hardware?

It's 40" high, comes in a black finish, and lots of fabric and color options for the seat. It's on sale for between $249 and $529 depending on options. I can't tell what your chair fabric is, but if you recovered them to work with or match the end chairs' fabric, even leaving the end chairs in this white finish and the others black, could be striking.
June 18, 2014 at 12:38pm     
Ramona
cslund, I missed your earlier question to me as to why I wasn't feeling the mirror between the two windows, but I see LB has made great suggestions in the meantime. I can't really articulate why I felt no mirror. Perhaps because those two windows are focal and lovely and any mirror will just be competing especially at night when the windows go black. I love mirrors reflecting chandys so take that into consideration. I wouldn't reject mirror unless something was bothering me.

I think the two art pieces LB suggested are the way to go in this room.

Wow, that mother of pearl wallpaper/tile is to die for. Personally, I am not enamoured of the circles even though they work. They will start limiting other things you can do and since this room is so open, I personally, would lean away from them.

I prefer LB's second suggestion for where to 'paper'

... Not the front sides of the boxes.
June 18, 2014 at 12:40pm   
Ramona
Wait, wait, is your chandy the same as the one Stefanie replaced in her dining room?
June 18, 2014 at 12:41pm   
mandiio
I would do a fabric tuffed chair... I got mine on overstock.com and love them. Thinking of getting two large ones for each end of our table...
June 18, 2014 at 12:46pm     
cslund
Ramona - I love the mother of pearl paper as well. I was thinking it is going to be outrageously expensive. I'll have to do a little research on it. So forgive me for asking a stupid question...but what is a chandy? Is that short for chandelier?
June 18, 2014 at 1:10pm     
LB Interiors
Chandy - chandelier : )
June 18, 2014 at 1:20pm     
LB Interiors
I honestly think the circle wallpaper is so neutral and so fine lined in the design, that it is very versatile. MO
June 18, 2014 at 1:21pm     
LB Interiors
Cisco I like your post of the options for the RH chair!
June 18, 2014 at 1:25pm     
Belle Chaise
I agree with upholstered.
June 18, 2014 at 1:33pm   
cslund
LB Interiors...I agree about the circle paper! I think it's very neutral.
Cisco - I do like the RH hardware chair. It's a little on the spendy side but know the quality will be good. So would you do the white option or black? I haven't been online yet to see the options for fabric.
LB Interiors - do you like the World Market chairs in the above posts or have other recommendations?
June 18, 2014 at 1:38pm   
Ramona
Yes, chandy = chandelier. Easier to remember spelling. LOL

Yes, I fear that mother of pearl is expensive but worth researching.
June 18, 2014 at 1:43pm     
ciscomo
Hi Ramona: the chandelier answer is yes, I believe. :) cslund, if you look at the last photo in the first set I posted, with the horse art, that is a houzz dining room dilemma and Stefanie, the homeowner, started out with your chandelier, but changed it due to size.

cslund, I see you're in MN? (Western WI, here, right across the river, husband still works in Edina.) RH might have other chair options you would like. If you can get to the Galleria in Edina, it would be worth it to see their finishes and fabrics in person. RH has some lovely soft blues, grays, greens, even lavenders that would be elegant with the paper and the black.
June 18, 2014 at 2:04pm   
ciscomo
cslund, are you crafty at all? I know I saw a wall stencil done with irridescent paint that was amazing. LB, is this one of the areas you work in if cslund has any interest in considering this?

Here's a houzz source with a moroccan stencil. Clck on the link under the picture to see the vendor info.

June 18, 2014 at 2:25pm     
diane707
Definitely upholstered! Maybe a prett;y spice color
June 18, 2014 at 2:28pm   
Ramona
Please research what you can get here:
http://www.lenoirempirefurniture.com/index.php

They have all upscale brands and you simply will not believe their prices. They can get brands not listed. No reason to spend RH prices when you can get better, cheaper.
June 18, 2014 at 2:57pm     
anne dee
Hi.
I don't know if this has already been mentioned but the style of chair in yr office(shown above) would appear to look very nice at each end of the dining room table.
June 18, 2014 at 4:17pm   
Ramona
Now, I am not dissing RH, just saying that you could find lots of options cheaper than you'd imagine. I love RH styles. Just not happy about a lot of their pricing. You know me, always searching for a bargain.
June 18, 2014 at 4:20pm   
Ramona
Now not necessarily this chair, but I like a dining chair to have arms to relax against and this is tufted. Just posting to see if you like the idea of the elements of this chair, not this one.
]
June 18, 2014 at 4:32pm   
ciscomo
anne, her side chairs are 41" tall. Do you (anybody else?) think she should be looking for something about as tall? That's kind of what started narrowing chair options.

Love that chair, Ramona and height is 40.5".
June 18, 2014 at 4:35pm     
cambridge101
Pier one has some Uph . Host chairs if you some inexpensive chairs they have back in different fabric than front would give you some much needed color an pattern. Lower light fixture to 33" off table.id like tall thin mirro an pair lamps on side board . Paint or paper below in darker color give weight to room.
June 18, 2014 at 4:36pm   
Ramona
Here is another choice. Leather for durability and casters for pulling back and forth easily. Anything from this site can be customized.
]
June 18, 2014 at 4:46pm     
June 18, 2014 at 4:51pm     
anne dee
I'm not aware of the height of the chair in the office.
It is the style i was referring to.
I don't know what the consensus it but higher backed upholstered/partial upholstered chairs would look nice at each end of the table and comfy at the same time cause after dinner we sometimes tend to sit around the table for awhile discussing "whatnot" so it's ideal to have something comfortable under our "tushes".
June 18, 2014 at 4:53pm   
June 18, 2014 at 5:08pm     
ciscomo
I went back to the Oakley Home Builders picture to see if it had any info on the chairs. It did. They were custom made.

I did find a couple blue swoop chairs on overstock. They were both$385 for two, but only 36" and 37". (They were both on the same webpage at the link below.) So, like the world market chair.

Ramona's suggestion that you check with lenoir is a good one. I bet youcould even email them the photo of the Oakley chairs and ask if they have anything in that colorway etc.. I gather they're easy to work with.
http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Gretchen-Light-Blue-Side-Chair-Set-of-2/8540581/product.html?refccid=37MKZGDB5WE22HKBANJSX2QPFE&searchidx=61
June 18, 2014 at 6:59pm     
anne dee
oooooh! Grover, the Black and White feather host chair is very amusing and elegant at the same time.
Great find!!
June 18, 2014 at 7:17pm     
cslund
thanks everyone for your advice, research, time spent on helping me create the perfect DR! I feel like we're friends :)
My head is spinning and I feel like I haven't found the perfect chair yet but have been looking at all of your suggestions. I LOVE the chairs that groveraxle posted, however those are a tad over my budget unfortunately. I've looked at Overstock but will look again with fresh eyes. ciscomom4....I was surprised to hear you live in WI. I thought maybe San Francisco. I have been to the Galleria several times for other items for our house. We are planning to do crown molding in our DR. This is new construction so I have several things on my list to tackle.
Stefanie I think you asked about the paint color...it's Amazing Gray - Sherwin Williams.
June 19, 2014 at 10:52am     
Ramona
You don't have to pay Horchow prices to get good quality in those sorts of styles. And new homeowner budget is always an issue.
June 19, 2014 at 11:37am   
cslund
Agreed Ramona! I like the wingback style of the chairs you posted above. Would love to find them in a beautiful color or simple pattern. Something that wouldn't be over board with my rug and the circle wall paper if I go with that option. Which I really like!
June 19, 2014 at 11:41am     
June 19, 2014 at 12:06pm   
Ramona
All you have to do is call Lenoir and give them the number. They will give you a price that you won't believe. Pardon my French, but **** Horchow prices
There will be many fabric options.
June 19, 2014 at 12:07pm     
LB Interiors
I also like the black & white feather Peacock chair. Too pricey though.
June 19, 2014 at 1:29pm   
LB Interiors
Overstock has some good prices on chairs.
June 19, 2014 at 1:31pm   
cslund
anyone like these chairs....only 37" high though.
June 19, 2014 at 3:06pm   
cslund
or....
June 19, 2014 at 3:06pm   
cslund
no arms though....I think I want arms. UGH!!
Sorry....that was probably a waste of time.
June 19, 2014 at 3:08pm     
ciscomo
Ramona's pretty Garbo chair comes in zebra! Too much? :)
June 19, 2014 at 4:21pm     
ciscomo
Oh, btw, not a waste of time, cs. (Shortening your name). It's much better to take your time, rule things out, than jump to a decision just to get it over with. You've posted patterns and colors you liked, and that guidance and your feedback, is what makes these threads work, when they do.
June 19, 2014 at 4:31pm     
cslund
Thanks Cisco....I agree! I do like the Garbo chair...not crazy about the zebra though :)
It totally reminds me of the two chairs I bought for the living room.
June 19, 2014 at 5:04pm     
cslund
oops...meant to post pic. It's ANOTHER room in need of finishing. Need help with ideas for a great rug and ottoman in front of the couch.
June 19, 2014 at 5:05pm   
ciscomo
Sorry, couldn't resist. Where do you want the ottoman? In front of the sectional? Love your chairs, btw.

Have you thought about checking craiglist? I'm going to attach a picture of two chairs for $250 from Eden Prairie. I'm not suggesting these chairs, and there's a lot of goop to sort through, but if you're not in a hurry, sometimes its a good way to score.
June 19, 2014 at 6:34pm     
Ramona
The Garbo as upholstered in white leather would compete with the living room chairs, but there are many other fabrics available.
June 19, 2014 at 6:56pm   
cslund
@ciscomom - thanks! yes...looking for an ottoman for in front of the sectional. My husband and I are BIG fans of Craig's List. I haven't checked it in awhile but those chairs are a little interesting! For the great room, I'm thinking 9x12 rug, ottoman in front of the sectional, lamps and then a table in between the two gray chairs. HELP.....it's too much for me to figure out on my own :)
June 19, 2014 at 9:33pm     
Ramona
By all means, take your time and search and research Craigslist. I scored a couple of valuable chairs for 80 bucks and reupholstered them in Ethan Allen zebra fabric.
June 20, 2014 at 8:58am   
ciscomo
cslund, I think you have the bones all in place. Could you take another couple photos showing the view from in front of the sectional, over by the chairs? What are you doing for lighting? What's the room used for?

Could you do a search in the houzz living photos, using "Agreeable Gray" as one of the terms maybe and start an ideabook for Ottomans and one for Rug. If you like both the rug and the ottoman, place the picture in both. If you like something else, the room's "feel", the accessories, the colors, the lamps , make a note. Don't think too hard. When you're done, you might have 5 various colored upholstered ottomans and 1 leather, or vice versa, which should help you get in touch with the look you're after. ( Be sure you choose a style to narrow the search and switch if the rooms aren't right. )

What size is the sofa section where you want to put the ottoman?
June 20, 2014 at 12:20pm     
cslund
Cisco....I thought you shortened my name :)
I'll attach a few more photos. Let me know if that's not the angle you were referring to. And then just to explain the room a bit more...we have a large bonus room above the garage which is where the kids hang out or where we watch movies. This is the room where the tv is always on. It's open to the kitchen and DR which is nice for entertaining. The fireplace will be finished with believe it or not, gray stone. The cabinets under the windows will be enameled restful white like the rest of the woodwork in the house. I'll re-attach kitchen photos if that helps with the flow of the main floor. The part of the sectional that is in front of the windows is 65" from corner to the end by the fireplace. The other section is 55".
Does that help? I haven't thought about lighting yet. I kind of need bigger elements in place before I can narrow in on those things. It's all overwhelming to me. I'm kind of liking the Pottery Barn rug called Barret and the other one is Bosworth.
June 20, 2014 at 12:51pm   
cslund
here is the Pottery Barn Barret rug too...
June 20, 2014 at 12:52pm   
cslund
one more kitchen angle too....maybe helps with perspective on the space.
June 20, 2014 at 12:59pm     
Amber
Am I the only one who would do Hendriskal chairs from IKEA with the dark brown legs? Simple Parson style and you could re-cover it in any color your heart desired, now and later if your decor changes.
June 20, 2014 at 2:25pm   
Ramona
Amber, we want some drama and we want arms to settle into long term dining discussions.
June 20, 2014 at 2:35pm   
jerryalan
I love that zebra chair! Not sure I would put it in that dining room but it is gorgeous.

I can see a huge pop of color on the new chairs--your choice of color, but something that makes a statement. I love your room so far. I am not a decorator but like reading what everyone else says.
June 20, 2014 at 2:44pm     
anne dee
On further inspection of yr dining room table and chairs you may want to consider a host chair that is in keeping with the proportion to the other slat back chairs so I would suggest a smaller backed chair as seen in the ref pic.
You wouldn't want to overpower the set.
Okay, this one is expensive ;-( but there's always the "knock off")

June 20, 2014 at 2:58pm   
anne dee
http://www.ebay.com/itm/PAIR-VINTAGE-MID-CENTURY-MODERN-KNOLL-SAARINEN-EXECUTIVE-SIDE-CHAIRS-EAMES-ERA-/380929494277?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item58b12acd05
Was browsing aroun and discover they have 2 of these chairs on ebay.
reupholster and stain the legs and you will have something quite special!
June 20, 2014 at 3:10pm     
nancy3303
I think the Maxine chair above would give great interest to the room along with the curved mirror that will help reflect light from the chandelier. Love the backs of the chairs, still soft and subtle but with just enough wow. Then take a color from the back to use in an accessory or two. Good luck.
June 20, 2014 at 3:47pm   
June 20, 2014 at 3:55pm   
cslund
Thanks Nancy...which chair is the Maxine chair? This thread is getting quite long and I love it!!
June 20, 2014 at 3:57pm     
cslund
Found it Nancy...the one with the floral back
June 20, 2014 at 4:00pm   
anne dee
June 20, 2014 at 4:28pm   
anne dee
Last one...
solid chair with a selection of pillows with feather design for an accent
(I'm done !)
June 20, 2014 at 4:32pm     
Drapery and Design by Carlos
the chairs you have look fine, I would add some arm chairs on both ends. What I would recommend besides of that is to lower the chandelier that looks a little too small and too high and add some roman shades on those windows which could be stationary just to make the room look cozier and for softness.
June 20, 2014 at 4:33pm     
lbarias54
depending on colors you are going to bring into the dining room and reupholster to bring a theme to the room with character of the homeowners
June 20, 2014 at 4:43pm   
ciscomo
Hey cs, the Maxine chair (38") that groveraxle posted also comes in a linen with a black and white flowered pattern on back. I couldn't get the photo of the back.
June 20, 2014 at 5:07pm   
ciscomo
Totally meant to tell you how gorgeous your house is! Is the fireplace in between two tall cabinets? I'm lost on the "cabinets under the windows." Sorry!

It's hard for me to get a read on your sofa color. Is it brown? (Off track, but do you have it pushed up against the window wall? MO, the answer should be no. :) )
June 20, 2014 at 5:18pm   
Bates Design Associates, LLC
I love the idea of patterned, upholstered chairs at the ends of the table! It will give more interest and depth to the room. You are headed in the right direction.
June 20, 2014 at 5:32pm     
cslund
aww....thanks Ciscomom4! Appreciate the compliment! Yes, the fireplace is in between the two tall built-ins which are under two windows similar to the windows in the DR. I'll attach a photo to make it easier to visualize. The sectional is a tough color to figure out but it's gray (I know, you're surprised??!!).
It has some brown tones but for the most part it is a tweed looking gray. It's from Room & Board. I tried to find it on the website but ran out of time.
June 20, 2014 at 5:43pm   
justjan43
The room is small go with acrylic clear chairs...will open up the space.
June 20, 2014 at 5:59pm   
cslund
justjan43.....will acrylic chairs be comfortable and "formal" enough for this space?
June 20, 2014 at 6:23pm   
cslund
here you go ciscomom.....does this help?
June 20, 2014 at 6:24pm     
decordizzy
The first thing I thought was that the table and chairs are too dark. If you could redo the table, I would go with a round white table to balance the room....then add the acrylic chairs! I know, you probably can't replace the dining set, but I am projecting my dream of one of those white acrylic tables into your decor.
June 20, 2014 at 7:47pm   
Do high wing back in a dark gray with a cream print.
June 20, 2014 at 7:49pm     
I would go a bigger and more unique light hang 36" from top of table.
June 20, 2014 at 7:50pm   
Put the wood chairs on side.
June 20, 2014 at 7:50pm   
Pilar Calleja - Draw The Line Design
June 21, 2014 at 12:52am     
ciscomo
Is R and B where your chairs are from? Are they the Boden? In Feb, we broke down and bought grown up furniture from there: the Harper recliner and the Pierre side chair. Love that store and the customer service was the best. They emailed me a picture of the Pierre pattern that came from the warehouse because we were in Florida the delivery week. I was going to give you a hard time about "San Francisco" LOL. Have you looked at my avatar? That is not fog. :)

What do you think of the West Elm chair? anne, where is the solid chair with arms from?

OMG, your house is so lovely. I like the pattern of both rugs from Pottery Barn, but you'd need to check out the rugs ' undertone against your fireplace stone and sectional. I like the Barret rug with your kitchen tones, but keep hesitating over your sectional. I keep thinking something more on the beige side for your rug. You could start another thread for your living room so posters know you'd like help with that. Might help to post fireplace stone if you can?

I noticed that chartreuse room in your ideabook, which has always been one of my faves. Looks like you favor blue greens over yellow greens, though? Sorry for the epistle!
June 21, 2014 at 5:10am   
anne dee
@ciscomom4.. the solid chair pictured above is from Crate and Barrel
June 21, 2014 at 5:21am   
ciscomo

Color wise, how do you react to a beigier rug that brought in some blue? Your floors are so pretty.
June 21, 2014 at 5:44am   
ciscomo
I really love the coral Horchow chair groveraxel posted. How do you feel about a statement,given the glimpse of the room from the living room, and then, as suggested, repeat that color for accessories in the living room. I love the coral with your sectional, or some other bright, warm with cream tone on tall, striking end chairs.

What do you think?

June 21, 2014 at 6:12am   
cslund
Yes Ciscomom4, I too LOVE those chairs but super expensive. Loved them the second I saw them. Also really liked the Black and White Feather chair. So elegant! Maybe I can find something similar? I LOVE coral, orange, yellow I also like all types of blue tones, teal, navy, etc. The R&B Chairs are Boden and I found the sectional in the catalog. It's called York. I'm attaching a swatch. Not sure if the color will come thru on your screen. I'll start looking thru Houzz as you suggested and see if I generate a "theme" in my likes that would make these decisions easier. I'm bumming that a few people have suggested a larger chandelier. I'm not investing in another one but I do agree, It could be bigger now that I have the table fully extended (leaf in). And for everyone who has suggested lowering it, it's been on my husband's to-do list for weeks! He's more interested in landscaping these days than interior.
Haha....you're right, your avatar certainly isn't fog!
I do really like the West Elm chair as well. I've shopped their several times and looked at them in the store.
Oh and lastly.....I'm not sure how I feel about beige. I would have to see more photos I think...
June 21, 2014 at 7:18am   
Sabrina Alfin Interiors, Inc.
I actually think the chairs work great; I'd just recover the seats in a transitional pattern, e.g lattice, a silhouetted floral/toile, etc. , in a muted teal, orange, or lavender. As others have said, introducing color is key. Whichever color you choose, find accent pieces for the buffet in the same color--vases, boxes, and other tabletop items. I'd also find a triptych series of small modern paintings that you could hang above the buffet vertically between the windows. I'm a big fan of introducing metallic accents to give the room a little wow, so find gold leaf frames and/or brass objects to play off you drum pendant. Have fun!
June 21, 2014 at 7:35am     
Ramona
Please do color on and pattern on the chairs. There are several ways to do with without paying Horchow prices. I love their stuff, but. . .

Craigslist, shop for fabulous fabric online, reupholster.

Go the Lenoir route and find a chair you love: there are hundreds and if you look at any quality furniture manufacturer, Lenoir can usually get that product and you will have a choice of fabrics or be able to supply your own.

I have a long, long list of great online fabric sources.

Sabrina, the current chairs stay. We are discussing accent chairs for hosting.
June 21, 2014 at 11:50am   
tommytoad
Chalk paint! There are several out there including a diy version -- I like the plaster of paris recipe (3 parts paint 1 part plaster of paris; 2 - 4 T water; mix plaster of paris w/water (I boil mine before adding to pp) until it's thick like a pudding then add it to flat paint mix well). There is no sanding, priming. A little clean up of the furniture prior to painting; fine sandpaper sanding if you want. 2/3 coats may be needed - this paint has great coverage! The seal would be a shelac (it's what I use) or a clear wax. Some use minwax - I think the Annie Sloan clear wax is worth it. May be worth looking into.

Good luck! Hope to see it after it's finished!
June 21, 2014 at 12:08pm   
Ramona
You want her to paint her beautiful black furniture??!!! I am into painting my furniture, but this is clearly not her style. Jeezz. I like light and lighter, but this homeowner likes what she likes and it is beautiful in situ.
June 21, 2014 at 12:12pm     
Pasadena Ave. Design
With your gray and white theme you can pick from several solid accent colors--lime green, orange, raspberry, yellow……either a slipcovered or fully upholstered parsons chair will keep it simple but give you great impact. Work your accent color into the room with table top accessories! Have fun!
June 21, 2014 at 1:33pm     
LB Interiors
Your choice for chairs is endless. Find a style, fabric and color that speaks to you.
June 21, 2014 at 1:40pm     
anne dee
the Horchow chair, although grand, is too big for the available space in her dining room
At least the way it shows up on my monitor. This style or another smaller wing chair would be more appropriate and scaled to her dining room table and chairs.
.
June 21, 2014 at 2:10pm     
cslund
I wish it was that easy LB Interiors....I feel like I've been looking for quite awhile and nothing says, "this is perfect".
June 21, 2014 at 2:10pm   
LB Interiors
I guess the search goes on ........ : ( Lots of great choices mentioned here.
June 21, 2014 at 2:21pm   
Ciscomom, love the zebra chairs. I like fun usual things in a room.
June 21, 2014 at 2:39pm   
ciscomo
Hi cs! You will find your chairs someday, and there is no rush, because you have identified some attributes you would like, no?:

Taller backed chairs since you don't want them dissapearing (sp?) behind the half wall and proportional to the ladder backs
Upholstered with some color or a pattern, coordinating with living room accessories
Arms

MO, the chandelier is a fine size over the table. Since we have 5 and 1/2 weeks of summer around here, your husband is very smart to focus on the landscaping. You can lower the chandelier but I'd be surprised if you are bowled over by the impact.

In the meantime, you might experiment with:

Putting two chairs on each of the long sides of the table
Adding something to the table, I actually like what Crate and Barrel did in the photo, plain old clear glass food jars and stick one live stem in each for the summer.
Putting your lamp on the buffet and/or leaning a mirror? behind it or trying some art slightly above it.

Attached random images: art and lamps from Crate and Barrel. mirror from pier1
June 22, 2014 at 7:00am   
ciscomo
This is funny. Today's houzz tour shows the world market Maxine chair in black and white that I posted. The homeowner used it in her kitchen. There are more photos. I know it wasn't your "perfect" chair but it's cute for the price. kind of a coincidence. :)

June 22, 2014 at 7:53am     
cslund
Oh funny....that's a really pretty chair!! I think it works fine with the rug but would the circle wallpaper put it over the top? I for sure want to do that paper. Planning to order it this week. I decided to do just the wall with the windows and the side walls facing that wall. LB's suggestion #2. Two other things nagging at me about that chair is it doesn't bring in color and I think the legs are brown?? Otherwise I would buy it in a heart beat.
June 22, 2014 at 8:03am     
ciscomo
I think you're right, just wanted you to see it. I'm so glad you're getting the paper!! And I liked her option number two the best as well.

Definitely hold off on anything else until the paper is up. That's SO going to drive any other decisions. OMG, it's going to be so elegant and...neat. Promise you'll keep posting so we can see it.
June 22, 2014 at 8:40am     
cslund
I wish I had a different place in my house for that chair! Too pretty for the garage :)
I'm planning to do a "standing desk" in my mudroom but might change that just so I can have the chair. I will FOR SURE keep posting so you can see the progress. With all your help that would be totally unfair not too!
June 22, 2014 at 8:45am     
LB Interiors
I can't wait to see how the wallpaper will look. I think the paper is quite safe to work with any color printed chair you fall in love with. It's quite neutral and not bold.
June 22, 2014 at 9:54am   
cslund
LOVE this rug....opinions? This would be for my LR for those following this very long thread :)
Any ideas where it's from?
June 22, 2014 at 12:25pm   
LB Interiors
This one has a combination of chair fabrics and prints.
Calico Corners

Here's example of subtle wallpaper with solid chair fabric as a color accent. Your paper choice is even more subtle.
Merilane Avenue Residence 2 Dining Room
June 22, 2014 at 1:00pm     
ciscomo
I can't really see the rug. Where did you see the photo?
June 22, 2014 at 1:03pm     
cslund
on Houzz...it's a Stonewood Builders. Wonder if I can grab a bigger photo. I was assuming it would be bigger if you hover over it but I discovered it didn't do that after I attached. I think I saved to my ideabook. Can you see it better there?
LB Interiors...I love the side chairs in your first photo!
June 22, 2014 at 1:10pm     
LB Interiors
Me too, thanks.
June 22, 2014 at 1:13pm     
ciscomo
Notice the chandelier? This is what you can do: click on the photo showing the rug, click on the ask a question box, and ask if they have info on where the rug came from). If they answer, it will show up in your feed. Sometimes it takes a bit, but I have always gotten a response, if not always the answer. I looked through all the other living room photos to see if anyone had already asked for that info and no one else had. (The sofas are from zgalleries so you might search there for fun.) 2) We can search for the photo on google. 3) Or you could start a new dilemma, post the photo (open the first photo then copy the url, then paste the url into the text box and when you submit it, it should show up) and ask if anybody knows where the rug is from

June 22, 2014 at 1:38pm     
ciscomo
Better option: email the designer. (She is lisa mccarty and her contact info is here and she is probably on houzz pro directory. Didn't check) She has been answering the questions for photos shown under the stonewood builder display, so go directly to her. I went ahead and posted a question under this photo but I would still try emailing her directly.
Graham Hill Residence 1

I also would bet you that if you brought your tablet into Gabberts or Macys Home Store or Schneidermans, and showed them the photo, they could help you get pretty darn close.
Graham Hill Residence 2
June 22, 2014 at 1:44pm     
cslund
Great advice...I emailed her. Love the chandeliers in the other photo above..haha.
June 22, 2014 at 2:19pm     
ciscomo
Hmmm..I think they're hung too high. :) Do you ever waste time on the One King's Lane site? Sometimes they have pretty nice rugs.
June 22, 2014 at 2:41pm   
cslund
ha....way to high! I don't think I've been on that website but I've been on so many, I may have just forgotten. I'll check them out. I already heard back from Lisa...she said the rug is from Gabberts/Edina. Probably expensive but I'll check it out.
June 22, 2014 at 3:56pm   
ciscomo
That's great! How funny that it was a MN project. I'm really glad you're going to look at a local store. Color tones are so deceiving on a monitor. Plus, a good salesperson could be a big help.

Boy, that was nice of Lisa.
June 22, 2014 at 5:35pm     
cslund
I know...totally agree. This is what she said: It is a Feizy rug from Gabberts at the Galleria in Edina. You can go on the Feizy website to find your local distributer.

I suppose she didn't know that Edina is super close to me so my "local distributer" is probably Gabberts :)
June 22, 2014 at 5:39pm   
cslund
Found the rug...Ciscomom! And many other beautiful options I'm feeling all ADHD right now...I don't know where to focus :)
If you search Feizy Dayuan Collection that is the beautiful gray and coral. But look also at the Nourison Utopia Ivory/ Slate, Feizy Saphir/Pewter and Feizy Harlow/Ash = GORGEOUS! okay now I need to check pricing.
June 22, 2014 at 7:23pm     
ciscomo
I went to the feizy website. I found the Dayuan. It's gorgeous. The Harlow collection were all blues...didn't see an Ash, I found a Sorel rug in Ash after a web search, a cream rug with gray flowers?. Also didn't find Saphir in "Pewter" but another web search came up with a Saphir Zam in pewter, so I'm wondering which subset of Saphir it was that you liked? I think I found the nourison on rugs-direct...maybe? Are any of these the same ones? LOL
June 22, 2014 at 8:12pm   
cslund
The first two are the rugs I was talking about and then of course love the coral and gray! I don't recognize the third photo you posted though. I wonder if Galleria carries all of these?
June 22, 2014 at 8:19pm   
Ramona
bigger picture

]
June 22, 2014 at 11:43pm   
ciscomo
I think I found the last rug...maybe. The Saphir collection has different "subsets" and I didn't click thru all of them but went to google once I got bored with clicking. The rug above is lso a Saphir Pewter rug but I'm guessing you meant the Saphir pewter floral.

Do you have, or can you get, a sample of the wallpaper before the rug, if you are serious about putting it up? Grays all have different undertones, I've learned, and MO, you don't want these two surfaces fighting. The photo says Home Depot sells it??
June 23, 2014 at 6:57am   
ciscomo
Some of the best advice I've seen was if you're shopping for a room, to carry a binder that has a large sample of your paint color (you can paint a 8x 10 piece of posterboard), a sample of your fabrics (Room and Board can give you one if they didn't when you bought the sectional) and in this case, I'd add the wallpaper. You also have your cabinet color, the floor, and soon your stone. I think an in person consult (maybe you could hire Lisa for an hour :)) with a knowledgeable decorator from Gabberts or Macy is the way to go with the rug choice.
June 23, 2014 at 7:10am     
tiffany66
Just a thought. Might be easier to incorporate those two windows than trying to find something to go between them. Instead of the chair rails, extend the same white wood trim from the windows horizontally top and bottom across the rear wall, or if it would look right wrapping onto the two short adjacent walls. Paint an accent color or trim white color inside the top and bottom wood trim. Then paper all remaining walls.
June 23, 2014 at 7:31am   
Ramona
Okay, I am loving this RH chair which comes in lots of new colors. Add a print pillow. You are good to go.

]
June 25, 2014 at 12:02pm     
cslund
I'm loving it too!! I'll have to check out the color options. Just to bring you all up to speed, I decided to order a sample of the wall paper first. I should have it tomorrow. So excited.
Now I'm off to the Restoration Hardware website :)
June 25, 2014 at 12:13pm     
Ramona
I am liking the spruce color for your room to give it some life with a lumbar pillow in a print. You won't want to get up and your guests will be jealous.
June 25, 2014 at 12:20pm     
cslund
I like spruce too...the others that I wrote down were French Blue, Slate Blue and Indigo. There are go on a blue theme again!
June 25, 2014 at 12:31pm   
Ramona
I approve all the above choices!!!
June 25, 2014 at 12:46pm   
LB Interiors
Indigo might be too dark for the table. Not enough contrast. Go lighter to have the chairs be an accent that is noticed.
June 25, 2014 at 12:47pm   
Ramona
Also aubergine.
June 25, 2014 at 12:47pm     
Ramona
I agree with lighter which is why my first choice was spruce.
June 25, 2014 at 12:48pm     
June 25, 2014 at 12:51pm     
cslund
agree on the indigo....I definitely like the lighter colors with the black table.
June 25, 2014 at 12:51pm   
Ramona
my weakness for zebra should be well known by now

]
June 25, 2014 at 12:55pm     
Ramona
June 25, 2014 at 1:05pm     
LB Interiors
June 25, 2014 at 1:42pm     
ciscomo
Hi cs, ran across this in an ideabook today. It shows what I was trying to describe for the console, using leaning art to intoduce color and to "bridge" the space between your two windows. You could still intoduce a lamp layered in front of them. (They also used the clear glass bottles on the table for an inexpensive, summery centerpiece for now.)

June 26, 2014 at 5:53am     
cslund
okay Houzz friends...got my wall paper sample. Now I'm really struggling....my wood work is not white/white. It's called Restful White so it's a soft off-white. The paper is bright white. I know I would love it if my wood work was the same color.
I really want to paper that wall but I'm wondering if I should look at other options?
Your thoughts?
June 30, 2014 at 4:55pm     
LB Interiors
I love the wallpaper.The paper can still work in the room. You can introduce whites and off whites in the same room. They just need repetition of those tones. If you add something creamier on the console that is the wood molding color, it will all work together. Maybe something else in the off white or white on the dining table. Repeat both whites in the room in several places and you should be fine.

If you are not comfortable without a matchy match, then maybe rethink the wallpaper. It's whatever is most comfortable for you. Not every tone has to match in a room.
July 1, 2014 at 3:10pm     
doctornancy
First, I must confess I have not read the entire thread, so forgive me if the dining dilemma has already been solved. From your image, I assume you like neutral colors and contemporary design. I really like gold and silver together - a bit of warmth and coolness - and you already have that going on in your dining room with the gold chandelier and the gray rug. Captain's chairs and a treatment (paint or wallpaper) below the chair rail to pull the two colors together would be lovely. Best wishes - it appears you have a multitude of talented folks helping you.
July 10, 2014 at 6:43pm   
cslund
Reviving an older thread as I need opinions on the mirror I found. I wasn't planning to do a mirror but something about this one caught my eye. What do you think? I am planning to hang, not have it sitting on top of puzzle boxes :)
July 22, 2014 at 12:58pm   
tiffany66
The mirror is a great piece, but it just looks too tight in that space and a little light weight for that wall.
July 22, 2014 at 1:06pm     
Ramona
lovely mirror, but does look too tight. have you chosen your accent chairs and/or decided on wallpaper?
July 22, 2014 at 1:09pm     
cslund
Bummer. I was hoping this would work. I'll hang it and take another photo. Maybe you'll change your minds...haha! I tried a couple of chair ideas from World Market and ended up returning them. I love the circle wall paper but my family thinks it looks like Christmas wrapping paper. So unfortunately I feel like I'm spinning my wheels again.
July 22, 2014 at 1:23pm   
That's a great mirror (and I am not a mirror lover), but it's not going to work in that space. ;-(
July 22, 2014 at 3:29pm   
cslund
thanks for weighing in groveraxle.....is it too big or why don't you think it works?
July 22, 2014 at 5:44pm   
tiffany66
The scale, balance and proportion are off in relationship to the wall and furniture.
July 22, 2014 at 5:51pm     
cslund
I understand what you're saying. I'm so bummed because I really like the piece and wanted it to work so badly. Would the balance change at all if there was wall paper behind it?
I did plan to paper that wall. I guess I'll have to return it :(
July 22, 2014 at 6:29pm   
Ramona
It is just too big, but very interesting. Maybe you could use it somewhere else.
July 22, 2014 at 6:39pm     
cindyguent
If you like it, it works. Personally, I think it looks good and relates well to your chandelier. If you had just hung that mirror and not said a word to family and friends, no one would say a negative word and you would probably get compliments! When I put a room on here, if someone had a negative comment about an item, I made myself crazy buying or searching for alternatives when I was perfectly happy with what was there in the first place. I wish I had the backbone to go with my own ideas then; now I try to encourage others to make their own decorating choices without doubting themselves.
July 22, 2014 at 7:28pm        Thanked by cslund
You're concentrating too hard on the space between the windows instead of considering the whole wall. Part of the problem is that your sideboard is too short and doesn't allow a cohesive, balanced display.

I've replaced your sideboard with a longer one, added a chair on the left to match the one on the right, moved the flowers left and balanced them with a candelabra and a bright Moroccan tagine.
July 22, 2014 at 8:05pm     
tiffany66
Cindyguent, are you suggesting to not post dilemma's on Houzz??? Did you regret your posting??
July 22, 2014 at 9:10pm   
cindyguent
I don't regret it Tiffany, but I think my personality allowed me to take each persons opinion to heart too much, such that it controlled my spare time and made my family a little crazy. If someone would even say, oh that buffet is dated or too big, it planted a thought in my brain and then I didn't like it as much, and that wasn't even supposed to be the topic. I was still new to houzz when I did it and probably would not do again. You know from all the other threads how often people don't read through to see what's been done. Did love my end result, but mostly because I picked things I loved and didn't continue to post them as part of the dilemma.
last Wednesday at 4:46am     
cslund
okay...can we just play around for a little bit then. WHAT IF.....I got a different sideboard? What would you do? Does it have to be black? I originally wanted a long sideboard that would fit the wall space better but was trying to stay within budget by using the furniture I already had. The piece that is already there has a top hutch with sliding doors and glass shelves, maybe I could sell on Craig's List to recoup some of the cost of a new one.
last Wednesday at 6:23am     
cslund
and what happened to Ciscomom??? I miss her input :)
last Wednesday at 6:24am   
Ramona
Well, not everything everyone says is correct, that's for sure, but overall, you will get decent advice here. You need to learn to pick and choose who and what you listen to. I am wondering why you didn't take the picture advice which I thought was good and why you went for a mirror before you finalized wallpaper or chairs. The problem is that you are working backwards to some extent. Stick to your original questions and follow through on them before branching out. Had the paper been up and the chairs chosen, you might have gotten good feedback on the mirror. My only objection is size, but size is critical.
last Wednesday at 6:27am     
Ramona
There are ways to make the sideboard work, e.g. by placing extra chairs next to it, but why are you avoiding your accent chairs and wallpaper? If this is a budget issue, accept that you have to save for them and don't go off track buying this and that to help you feel better. I am really guilty of that, so I know whereof I speak.
last Wednesday at 6:30am     
cindyguent
True on all points, Ramona.
last Wednesday at 6:30am     
cindyguent
Very easy to get distracted from the original issue. But sometimes the original idea isn't the main problem and by following suggestions here, you develop a new outlook.
last Wednesday at 6:33am     
cslund
It's just a personality trait of mine Ramona.....I get so overwhelmed so I need to just leave it for awhile and work on another part of the house. I have found many chairs that I love and if my budget was unlimited, I would have the chairs already. I spin my wheels trying to find the absolute perfect thing and get no where. So I'm not "avoiding" them, just not sure how to move forward. I would like to explore a few other options for paper on the focal wall. When I see something I love, I just know it's perfect and move fast on it. I'm struggling with the circle paper being too white and kind of shiny like wrapping paper. But I'm also not a designer and it could be just beautiful on my wall.
last Wednesday at 6:57am     
cslund
I should also add that the price on the World Market chairs are incredible but since they are suppose to be "host" chairs, I'm assuming the backs should be taller than the chairs currently at the table and they are not. My ladder back chairs are 41 inches tall and the World Market chairs in this thread that have the pretty floral backs are 39.5. Will that look off?
last Wednesday at 7:10am     
Yes, that will look off. Your host chairs really should be taller than your side chairs. Could be tough to find.
last Wednesday at 8:06am     
ciscomo
Hi, cs! I got swamped with my own exterior palette dilemma and started migrating to exterior questions where I thought I could help because I'd looked at a gazillion paint and stain colors.

I saw your wallpaper yesterday and was stumped. I really didn't like it with the rug, but I totally get what cindy is saying, so didn't have anything useful to add. I think the wrapping paper analogy is hilarious. You should hear the input my 28 year old daughter and husband gave me on my paint ideas. I think it's fine to wait for the perfect thing. That isn't spinning your wheels. That's patience and not wasting money. I wouldn't buy the world market chairs now unless you want to buy six. :) Do you want the ladderbacks to be your "forever"chairs? If so, it's worth waiting and spending the money for two host chairs that make your set absolutely perfect. If not, they look fine as is for now. Just let them be and know someday you'll get an entire new "perfect" set of chairs, rather than trying to make yourself love four "okay" chairs.

I wonder if groveraxle (and you) haven't nailed it. What would your ideal buffet look like? Pictures, please. Contemporary? Classic? Colored?
last Wednesday at 9:24am   
tiffany66
Cindyguent, now I understand what it is like from the poster side and how some suggestions raise issues you hadn't thought about. Plus I think its hard to keep up with and process the volume of suggestions--not all of them useful, on point, or affordable either. Often I am overwhelmed by the pricey things that are suggested. But thats what happens when you are spending other people's money.

After reading dilemmas, for a while now I can see if I were to ever post one, I would have to be really specific about the kind of input I needed. I think it would help if the original poster could edit or update the original posting to keep everyone informed of the status of the room or if it has changed direction.
last Wednesday at 10:45am     
tiffany66
cslund, I have the same problem of being overwhelmed because there is so much to do. When a road block or an crossroads appears it takes time to sort it all out. So, like the rest of us you tackle another area, just hoping to keep moving forward.

When I was doing my living room, I had two walls of huge windows and two open sides. I just keep trying to make things work but then the fung shui would be off. Furniture placement was just not working and there was not even a wall to hang a picture.

Then one day my father said why don't you just remove the large window on the side wall (it faced my neighbors garage so no view), because it will be a problem for as long as you own the house. He was absolutely right, I removed the window and now have one solid wall with artwork and problem solved. His thought was over the years I would spend more in frustration and on the cost of buying window covering for an unused window, than the one time cost of removing it. Lesson learned.

When I look at your dining room, your two small windows and your cabinet look like a face to me. They also seem to be what limits you on what you can place on the only full wall you have. Plus you have a large open concept space and yet those windows restrict your use of large pieces like the mirror and forces placement lower. Just food for thought.

Like most builders they never considered you might want a china cabinet in a dining room.
last Wednesday at 11:16am   
LB Interiors
I love the mirror but it doesn't seem to work as well as something smaller. I hope you can find another space to place it.

However, as Cindy says, if you love it and are comfortable with it, 'it's not a terribly wrong thing to do'. I've seen many Houzz photos that don't seem quite balanced or seem comfortable for me. Everyone will have their own opinion! Do what feels right for you!
last Wednesday at 2:23pm     
cslund
thanks all! More than anything it was fun to revive this post for awhile today. I will probably just return the mirror if it isn't going to work in this space. I could buy two host chairs for the same price :)
Cisco mom - so glad you chimed back in! If you've been exterior focused, you missed my front door dilemma post.
I would love a different sideboard and have been scouring Craig's List and other websites. One day I hope to replace all of the black furniture. It's not my favorite but I'm trying to make it work for now. I love all three options you posted...love the classy off-white option as well as the gray one and color would be so fun too. How about other ideas for wall paper for the focal wall? I'm going to search thru Houzz now but would love more suggestions.
last Wednesday at 5:44pm   
ciscomo
cs, it does work, it looks very nice as is, simple and serene.

I was going to suggest you check out some of the colored metallic grasscloth papers. Then some luxe silk curtain panels. Can you reupholster your chair seats? Maybe a velvet? A classic column lamp from RH. (Stefanie of the other dining room thread, is waiting on hers from RH and they're gorgeous.)

Or go funky for now? How about this wallpaper, a Brewster pattern from Overstock. Throw a couple ikea chairs on either side of the buffet ($59 ), throw in an ikea rug for good measure. A colored lamp for the buffet.
last Wednesday at 6:56pm   
ciscomo
I actually also thought of your room when I saw this paper on houzz.
If you click on the photo, the designer gives her contact info to get details about ordering the paper.
I like this Pottery Barn Estelle lamp with this wallpaper. The curves are a nice ciunterpoint to all your straight lines, MO. http://www.potterybarn.com/products/estelle-stacked-glass-lamp/?pkey=ctable-floor-lamps&cm_src=table-floor-lamps||NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_--_-

last Wednesday at 7:10pm     
ciscomo
Hi cs. If you like, take a look at the wallpapers in the 8th, 9th, and bathroom starting in 11th photos of this houzz tour.

last Thursday at 4:41am   
ciscomo
Last thought: what about painting your big windows black, then framing them with curtains? I just painted an interior door with SW Urbane Bronze, a warm gray black brown and love it.
There are other ideabooks with this idea. Try searching " colored trim".

last Thursday at 4:51am   
ciscomo
The Pottery Barn Estelle lamp
last Thursday at 5:46am     
cslund
cisco - love the Estelle lamp from PB! I may have to go get that! I read thru that post about painting interior doors. I would love to try that in my house. I bet the Urbane Bronze looks fabulous. You should post a pic! I like all of the paper options as well. Waaay back before I even starting posting on Houzz, I was going to do the bottom 1/2 of the walls in the DR (under the chair rail) the Simute Sisal Grass cloth in Slate. But I'm also liking that soft, muted look of some of the other papers we've mentioned and doing the focal wall instead.
last Thursday at 3:21pm   
ciscomo
These pictures show what I'm wondering about for your windows re: painting the window trim black. Are your mullions inside the window. Both these photos show painted mullions. I also like the shutters in the dining room. But I think curtains would also dress up your windows and room. What do you think?

Sea Side Cottage
Historic Whole House Renovation - Dining Room
last Thursday at 5:39pm   
cslund
I see now what you are suggesting! I was thinking you meant the woodwork all around the windows which I thought would be too black and heavy. Yes, the mullions are on the inside. That looks like a sophisticated touch....very pretty.
last Thursday at 5:49pm   
ciscomo
Ha! Well, I've suggested goofier things. All part of getting those creative juices flowing. How about this? I was looking at the turquoise ideabook on todays's homepage. What if you paint your buffet aqua/turquoise and use a tone on tone wallpaper behind it?

Also, did you ever track down your coral rug? PB has some gorgeous new pillows that reminded me of that rug.
last Friday at 8:33am   
cindyguent
Cisco mom, great ideas! I think the two windows are too close together for draperies, tho. Romans or shutters would look good.
Cs, do you need to keep the leaf extension in your table at all times because of frequent use or size of your family? Just wondered if you only need it occasionally, the room could accept those hostess chairs more easily if the table was without the leaf.
last Friday at 9:32am     
ciscomo
Cindy, I was just looking at PB's patterned romans, very pretty. You don't think cs could get a panel on each side of the windows? Just curious, since this is all hypothetical on my part. cs hasn't expressed any need for window treatments. I thought I'd try and talk her into these. :))

last Friday at 11:56am   
Ramona
I would not do window treatments on small high windows. Unnecessary and too fussy.

Were the RH chairs too expensive? I'd rather spend money on good chairs and then go someplace like HomeGoods for pictures and accents.
last Friday at 12:04pm   
Ramona
The RH chairs are on sale right now. If they are still more than you want to spend, fine. Don't be shy about telling us. These are personal choices and we can't help if we don't know parameters.
last Friday at 12:07pm   
ciscomo
Ramona, I was looking at the double hungs in the little nook thingy looking outside to a ...porch?..., not the high windows.
last Friday at 12:34pm   
Ramona
cisco mom, oh, I wasn't sure where that picture came from. sorry.
last Friday at 12:36pm   
ciscomo
No problem. Can I ask which RH chairs are on sale? I'll scroll up too, seem to remember some pretty ones you posted.

Never mind, the Bennett? Love those.
last Friday at 12:47pm   
ciscomo
OK, just for laughs, went to the Target site to look at wallpapers. The first three are actually Peel and Stick, removable. The second is probably too dark for an accent wall, but it said it had gold in it and just kind of felt like your chandelier to me. The third comes in a pretty pale aqua, as well. (I used it in the back of my corner cupboard.)
last Friday at 1:18pm   
nramsey1
Parsons chairs with a skirt would be nice too. They have a slim profile and seem like they would go well with your side chairs.
last Friday at 1:25pm   
ciscomo
And from houzz products: love this one, look closely:

And for something totally different - from anthropolgie.
last Friday at 1:45pm   
cslund
I love the RH Bennett chairs. Would buy them in a heart beat but they are a bit on the high end of what I want to spend. When I put in the parameters of fabric/color/etc, they are around $550 each. Would love to spend that as a total instead. I found a couple options on Craig's List....but both responded and said they didn't want to split up the host chairs from the set. I thought I could recover the floral chairs and love the West End leather chairs too. Posting pics.....
last Friday at 4:44pm   
cslund
oh wait...maybe I didn't save the photo of the tall gray leather host chairs from West Elm but you probably all know what they look like. The other linen chair (photo on the right) is from a local shop near me. Never been there but may go and look at these?? They may not be tall enough.
last Friday at 4:46pm   
cslund
ciscomom.....would totally do those panels on my windows. I love the last two wall paper options in your group of 4 photos. Stampede is kind of fun too....what's up with the horse craze in home décor lately?? cindyguent - I don't necessarily need the leaf in the table all of the time. I was planning to take it out when I found my host chairs to see if I like it better without the leaf.
last Friday at 4:51pm   
cslund
cisco.....that rug I loved is around $7,000! UGH! Remember when you asked in this very long thread about how I felt about more of a beigier rug, that's totally the direction I'm trying to go. I love that look. It's soft, neutral, can introduce some other colors while also looking pretty with my gray. Just need to find the rug. I've been scouring PB, Home Decorators, Ballards and West Elm. Just not finding it yet.
last Friday at 4:56pm   
Ramona
If you like them, watch for a super sale. Register on site and try for coupons, etc. Switch to the cotton duck fabric. Those are $459 right now.
last Friday at 5:34pm   
Ramona
You can also get the same chairs without arms for the price you want in duck. http://www.restorationhardware.com/catalog/product/product.jsp?productId=prod2710534
last Friday at 5:45pm     
ciscomo
If you're going to reupholster chairs, I think they should be a shape that isn't as common as the floral swoop. It isn't a budget solution, but is worth doing if you love the piece's shape or can't reproduce the quality. These chairs have a really contemporary shape ( minus the skirt) but it would be an investment, not a money saver once you reupholstered them. http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/fuo/4587683966.html

Keep trying craigslist, someone will break up their set. :)
last Saturday at 5:24am   
last Saturday at 5:36am     
cslund
ciscomom - don't really want to reupholster but thought it might open up some options for a solid made chair but just needs updating. For some reason I cannot find the post you sent this morning asking about that one photo with the cloud painting. My first reaction was I LOVE the chairs! It's a very pretty room. I like the subtle touches of the vase on the hutch that ties in with the chandelier and examples of those things throughout all of the photos. It's official, I'm returning that mirror. After looking at it for two days, it definitely overwhelms the space. Art work is the answer :) Now.....where to find it.
last Saturday at 9:33am   
LB Interiors
Have to go back and catch up but .......

Guess What Peeps.... I've been BLOCKED from the 'Gaudy Rococo' thread!. Can't open all your comments? Might be my last comment?
last Saturday at 12:05pm   
tiffany66
CS if you find a great deal on a set of chairs on Craigslist, but there are too many, you could buy them and sell off the two you don't need. I have done this before if it was a good deal. Sometimes I even sell off what I don't need for enough $$ that the ones I keep are free to me.
last Saturday at 1:54pm     
tiffany66
Not you, LB all of us are blocked. Was probably that Susan person who complained.
last Saturday at 2:15pm     
help me
I'd add color. Maybe orange! I love the wall color! In love!
last Saturday at 2:34pm   
Ramona
]

tall enough, $ 300 for pair
last Saturday at 3:36pm   
cslund
What's this Gaudy Rococo post and why would you all be blocked out?? I'm so curious??
last Saturday at 6:43pm   
cslund
way off topic but would love all of your opinions on this rug for my LR? I may start a new thread for it too. I have a twead gray sectional and two dove gray leather chairs. I would like to introduce some soft beiger tones with a touch of rust and golds. Not sure about the amount of light blue but thought this rug from PB was pretty. Your thoughts?
on Sunday at 3:45pm   
cslund
oops....forgot images:
on Sunday at 3:46pm     
cslund
if you want to see it on PB's website it's the Malika Persion
on Sunday at 3:47pm   
on Sunday at 4:44pm     
ciscomo
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/fuo/4593437286.html. 2 wingbacks being used in dining room

Rug is pretty, but traditional? Before you go forward, perhaps you might want the ottoman or coffee table you would use with the rug chosen, even if not bought.
7 hours ago     
cslund
oohhh....those chairs are pretty cool. I wonder if they would be too overwhelming (big) in my DR? I know that cindyguent suggested taking the leaf out. I'm going to go look at them. I agree the rug is traditional. I like a little mix of traditional/contemporary but not too drastic or polar opposite. UGH...so now I need to be thinking ottoman or coffee table. Okay, agreed. I'll start looking for that piece first :)
What would you do coffee table or ottoman?
6 hours ago   
ciscomo
Well, its impossible to tell their size, mass from her posting. Have you tried pulling your living room chairs in there just for a visual? Since you know their size, it might give you an idea of what might be too big or might work?

The rug IS pretty. I couldn't see it with the sectional on my e-reader but loved it with your floors and I thought its tones would be very nice with the cabinetry. The only reason I mentioned picking out the ottoman/table kind of together with the rug is because the rug's colors and pattern narrow your choices. You just want to have seen enough options you like that you are assured that something that works with both the sectional and rug is out there. I'm guessing, maybe incorrectly, that you'll find a wood tone coffee table easier to find than a fabric that works with both. So, if this rug means a hard time finding an ottoman, and you really want an ottoman, you'll have thought that through. Make sense?
6 hours ago   
Ramona
the wingback craigslist chairs look like a good deal to me, but you should have them reupholstered which is not a big deal. I did great on craigslist with a pair of MGM chairs for $80 and had them reupholstered in an Ethan Allen neutral zebra fabric.
2 hours ago   
ciscomo
Zebra! Who would have thunk, Ramona? lol. Agree about reupholstery...that could be real fun with a fabric cs loves.
1 hour ago   
Need advice about reupholstering my grandparent's chairs
We are in the midst of a downstairs renovation and...
Need dining chair color advice
I have old-fashioned china that's a kelly-green color...
Need advice for chairs and barstools in great-room kitchen
The kitchen is visible from the front door, family...
need advice on dining chairs
My daughter has a bar height breakfast room table with...
Need chair advice
I just bought this amazing dining table and want to...
Ideas for dated kitchen in old cape cod
Hi everyone, Awesome site first of all. My fiancé...
Giant Gator Art?
First, thank you to GroverAxle who helped me get started...
How to remodel the kitchen and dinning area?
Hi! We recently purchased this condo and wanted to...
Our new apartment
We are allowed accent walls in our new apartment. Have...
A Rococo to go ~ Hold the Drama...
Bellesum suggested I start a new thread as a result...