How can I clean this floor? With water, any chemicals?
Lesley
March 20, 2012 in Photo Questions
I want a floor that looks fantastic but I can clean. Please help guide me - we don't have kids or dogs but dark floors seem hard to keep clean - am I wrong?
Stonewood, LLC
Just a bit of soap and water. Otherwise Bona makes a great product.
March 21, 2012 at 8:26am     
I agree with Stonewood, Bona makes a great product. But the biggest problem with dark floors isn't always dirt - it's lint and dust and everything else that just naturally flies thru the air! Dark floors are beautiful, but need constant maintenance.
May 9, 2012 at 3:26am     
japonica
We are getting ready to put in wood floors. The installed told us that he uses lint free rags. Wet and then squeeze out all of the water you can. Attach to a push mop and then wash with no detergent (to prevent build up on the floor). Tried this on existing floors in the master and it worked beautifully. Love that picture. Actually think I am drooling ;) We are pulling up a medium brown Eng. flood in the rest of the house to replace with a darker floor. The med. brown shows a lot of dust too. I've just accepted that I need to be on the ball with dusting. Better for my allergies anyway!
June 25, 2012 at 2:50pm     
House of L Interior Design
Your installer is right-the less product you use the less film or build-up on the floor; additionally don't use a soaking wet rag or mop either as too much water is bad as well.
June 25, 2012 at 2:53pm     
eshalk
Every dark wood floor I've seen in any person's home has always showed dust and dirt unless it was just freshly wiped, very unforgiving in that regard. If there are kids or pets in the home, that much worse.
February 24, 2013 at 5:41pm     
jaclyn1122
We use a little bit of vinegar and water.... We always get compliments on how nice our hardwood floors look...
March 6, 2013 at 5:45pm   
Authentic Pine Floors, Inc.
Dark floors are like dark pants. Everything shows. Choosing a floor that is multi color or a color similar to your local dirt works. In my home in Georgia, I chose a floor with red tones to blend with our red clay. In my Florida home, I chose a washed floor with light brown and gray tones to blend with the sand. I like beautiful floors that are easy to live with!
March 6, 2013 at 6:31pm     
A color similar to your dirt! I love it! Super great idea :))
March 6, 2013 at 6:37pm     
Authentic Pine Floors, Inc.
WOCA oil soap is a great cleaner for floors with an oil finish. I love oil. It penetrates into the floors so doesn't surface scratch like polyurethane finishes.
March 6, 2013 at 6:43pm   
sarajke
Pledge makes a wonderful, gentle cleaner specially formulated for wood floors.
September 14, 2013 at 2:14pm   
Framed Burlap
Both side by side or one?
Need help with mirrors
I'm looking for suggestions for bathroom mirrors -...
living/dining makeover
My living/dining room is a mismatched cluttered mess...
Pickled wood tables
I love two pickled wood tables that I've had in storage...