Need advice for wall art
Melissa Sanchez
Hello fellow houzz'rs, I would like some advice and ideas for wall by the mirror. I do not want to put the mirror up. Any ideas? House in modern ranch style.
happyleg
The mirror is too small for the floor.
1 Like   June 12, 2014 at 8:12PM
Melissa Sanchez
yes, I agree. I do not want to put the mirror up. I'm looking for another idea here.
0 Likes   June 12, 2014 at 8:16PM
happyleg
I like family photos & bookcase. Or family college.
1 Like   June 12, 2014 at 8:21PM
sandkshouse
Keep an eye out for an art fare and support local artists.
5 Likes   June 12, 2014 at 8:27PM
Prestige One Landscaping
Some floating shelves or box shelving would look perfect on that wall. That way you can fill the space yet have the ability to spruce it up with any type of accessories such as mini sculptures, flowers or empty vases or jars you like. Hope this helps, good luck with everything.
8 Likes   June 13, 2014 at 8:25AM
BetterWall
Something dramatic! You've got a great space for an object or textile against that wall that that would turn a bland wall into a strong statement of your personal style.

Of course, I'm partial to our offerings, but they really go great in spaces such as yours. We at BetterWall represent 30+ major art museums, selling their authentic street banners to people to put in their homes as spectacular wall art. As unique objects produced in limited editions, the banners embody great art, great museums, and contemporary advertising trends.

They're sized typically about 3ft wide by 6-8ft long. We have over 175 different banners, but here are a couple examples that might fit your personal tastes.
1 Like   June 13, 2014 at 8:44AM
M Rene Designs
We all would likely put up something different! I'm partial to impressionism, both new & historical artists. Depends on what you like and what you truly want to do with the space. You could also hang an beautiful area rug in the space!
1 Like   June 13, 2014 at 9:16AM
chemayne
Instead of one big piece of art, create a structured collage of your favourite pictures with these:
Wayne Thiebaud Print Display
Dining Room

Or repeat with accent colour blocks
Grimaldi Residence, Fisher Island, FL

Here's a different way to decorate your wall:
Rooms to Inspire by the Sea by Annie Kelly beach homes houses
2 Likes   June 13, 2014 at 11:02AM
I would put a single huge piece of art. Depending on the size of the wall, check out Loft Art from art.com: http://www.art.com/gallery/id--d534331/loft-art.htm

Or you could always do a big canary.
3 Likes   Thanked by Melissa Sanchez    June 13, 2014 at 11:24AM
kathleen MK
I would put a large piece of art with the orange from the furniture and the aqua/teal from the floor. If you like abstract you could easily do a Jackson Pollack or Mark Rothko style painting with house paint samples. You could blow up family portraits and paint over them in Warhol style. Google Janelle Lindley if you are interested in traditional subjects done with bolder colors and lots of textures.
1 Like   June 15, 2014 at 12:13AM
Rebecca Mitchell Interiors & Boutique
You have a great space! Something like the installation in the Grimaldi Residence that @chemayne posted above would definitely work well in your room. Or you could consider a more interesting, large sculptural mirror like one of these (from Renwil) - see how the design of these mirrors echoes the architectural detail above your windows? Or one large abstract painting by K.A. Davis (Etsy) - which connects with the floor colour. Hope this helps. Post the results!
3 Likes   June 15, 2014 at 3:35AM
Beautiful Interiors Design Group
I don't know what type of furniture you have on the other hidden wall but because your space is so voluminous, I suggest you place a bench or credenza on that wall to ground that area. Then place either one large piece of art or several pieces in order to make that wall important & balance the fireplace.
0 Likes   June 15, 2014 at 4:01AM
Rachael Crowther
Hi Melissa, I'm an artist from the UK. I make vibrant, abstract paintings to order to suit any budget, size or colour scheme. Please take a look at my site for an idea of my style www.rachaelcrowther.co.uk. All pieces are acrylic on canvas and unique!
Feel free to get in touch for a hassle-free consultation. I also ship internationally for free until September :)
6 Likes   June 15, 2014 at 3:56PM
printesa
I'm always for large paintings in areas where it is possible. You have a beautiful room there See if you find a large painting that comes pretty low towards the floor..There are many ideas here on houzz
Roberto Lane
Z-loft
Erskine
Applegate Tran Interiors
6 Likes   Thanked by Melissa Sanchez    June 15, 2014 at 4:35PM
moxiemom
A large vibrant kilim rug would fill and soften the space, add color and reduce echo
0 Likes   June 15, 2014 at 4:48PM
bchapman90260
Pier one has a stunning tree of life painting on stretched canvas. 4x4 ft
0 Likes   June 15, 2014 at 10:59PM
bchapman90260
Pier one imports
3 Likes   June 15, 2014 at 11:02PM
Hailey Ericksen
2or 3 taller thin paintings that go together and has some orange in is what I would do...you could line them up or tier them both would look good I think
1 Like   June 15, 2014 at 11:14PM
pipeman1
Always wanted to try the following: http://trendythrifting.com/2012/11/01/diy-canvas-prints-huge-impact-low-cost/
Would look great as portraits of family or even a great vacation scene.
1 Like   June 17, 2014 at 9:44AM
Lori Jacobus-Crawford
I think you need one Large piece of art. Pull a color out of your room decor and make sure it's in that piece.
1 Like   June 24, 2014 at 2:09PM
Amy Litonjua
Personally I would do a console with a large piece above that has the teal color like the floor, which I love!!
1 Like   June 24, 2014 at 2:10PM
motivation52
The wall on the left and the wall with the mirror could use some big bright paintings. You could use pillows on the sectional to bring the colors into that area.
1 Like   June 24, 2014 at 2:12PM
Update Interiors
GO BIG with a unique organic piece such as this!
1 Like   June 24, 2014 at 2:16PM
pennyberry
Move the cabinet over to where the mirror is currently so that that lovely piece of furniture becomes a focal point; remove the mirror entirely from the room; reorient the couches so that they face the doors and the great beyond.
3 Likes   June 24, 2014 at 2:19PM
Sharon Rea
Where is the focal point? The couch is blocking the fireplace and outside somewhat. Maybe some window treatments to dress up the windows. A gray on the walls to tie in the floor, and the room is large so maybe a rug in the sitting area? A BIG bookshelf? Have some fun!
1 Like   June 24, 2014 at 2:20PM
Cricket Hackmann Photography
I suggest a large piece of art, or a tapestry, or even a hanging sculpture of some type. When it comes to artwork, I wouldn't worry about pulling a color out of the room and trying to match/coordinate...it's more important that you choose a piece of art that you love, that speaks to you. A piece of art that you truly love will be around long after you change your sofa and throw pillows! That space is large enough to handle bold colors, so don't be afraid to go there. I really like the idea of finding a local art fair and buying something there. For one thing, then you'll have something unique that wasn't mass-produced, and for another you'll feel good for supporting a local artist! Have fun!
1 Like   June 24, 2014 at 2:22PM
lovelyv
I think I see a guitar on the fireplace.. perhaps play up that theme with some abstract art
2 Likes   June 24, 2014 at 2:30PM
Idego Interior Design
How about something a little different, like this hand painted, very large, Mandala from Nepal? https://www.etsy.com/listing/183510956/very-large-beautiful-thangka-mandala?ref=shop_home_active_2
1 Like   June 24, 2014 at 2:30PM
Diane Haynie
I would find or create a huge abstract canvas with wonderful colors and hang it on the wall where the mirror is sitting. Place a colorful leather bench below. A collage that includes the mirror (to reflect the abstract) could hang on the opposite wall.
1 Like   June 24, 2014 at 2:38PM
Jane Q
The floor is the artwork. Silver accent pieces through room and on wall change sectional to light to med gray or cream color.
1 Like   June 24, 2014 at 2:42PM
Stella Mengels
make your own art
4 Likes   June 24, 2014 at 2:44PM
Triad Plus Fabrics for the Home
You can always mount a beautiful piece of fabric on a frame or canvas board and hang. Or if you sew, make your own graphic tapestry hanging from geometric patterned fabrics and hang on modern rod.
0 Likes   June 24, 2014 at 3:05PM
tylercs93
a large piece of antique ranch equipment
1 Like   June 24, 2014 at 4:00PM
Bravehart Building
I love the bold floor and couch - wondering if you want to compete with them? Love the light, open space and thinking maybe a full mirror on that wall, wrapping around the door.
It's really a retro look to use mirror in that manner, so would suit your mid-century modern ranch style! Just a thought.
0 Likes   June 24, 2014 at 4:12PM
happyleg
Turn couch around to face the fp, tv on wall to right on empty wall.
0 Likes   June 24, 2014 at 6:56PM
lctpdc
It would be great to continue the green strip from the floor up the wall and do something graphic. Check with your local arts school - they can provide names of talented students/graduates who would love to do an original mural Get them to provide a sketch first, of course!
1 Like   June 24, 2014 at 7:39PM
oleigh
As a small hijack - @groveraxle do you happen to know what the Canary picture was called? I have been looking for a new picture for a space here and that one sort of caught my attention - depending on size of course.
0 Likes   June 24, 2014 at 8:26PM
Melissa Sanchez
Thank you everyone for your feedback! Lots of great ideas here. I'm having so much fun with this space.
1 Like   June 24, 2014 at 9:09PM
anneamick
My new house looks like it was built by same builder. It is 12 years old.. I'm just having the walls painted. It seems like white is the color for a walls in a place like this. What do you think? Do you think bedrooms need to be white too?
0 Likes   June 25, 2014 at 5:28AM
Luxe Water Walls
Maybe a water wall? They are very soothing. Water walls are not only pleasing to the eye but they also help clean the air by attracting dust particles. You can see more at http://www.LuxeWaterWalls.com
3 Likes   June 25, 2014 at 7:36AM
slwoodward2
I like rachaelcrowther paintings. One large abstract painting with orange, black and turquoise....would look amazing!
0 Likes   June 25, 2014 at 8:02AM
Melissa Sanchez
@anneamick I used Sherwin Williams Alabaster white. It has just a tad of beige in it. I am really happy with the color. I also painted the bedrooms this color. Because I want to use wood paneling in some areas and think it will help the wood pop.
0 Likes   June 25, 2014 at 10:32AM
kgrad
Love your sofa (and all the ideas). Where did you get the sofa, brand? Thanks
0 Likes   June 25, 2014 at 10:44AM
Phyllis Bent
Forget the family photo collage. I like the idea about the guitar abstract art. Visit your local resale shops you may be able to find some great art at a reasonable price. Look for local starving artists sales. I live in Houston and there is a great amount of local art so I guess it depends on you location.
0 Likes   June 25, 2014 at 10:50AM
strifeanddiscord
I know you asked for wall art suggestions, but here's what I think will help this room:
1) A new floor. The green floor pattern is far too busy for wall art to really make sense in this room. Plus it clashes with the orange sofa. Consider Shades of blue or perhaps some reds or yellows for a much better complement. There are very several stylish an inexpensive laminates available at Home Depot that you can install yourself in a weekend.
2) An accent wall. The plain white on the walls makes the room seem very cold and uninviting. Also the abundance of windows and wall and ceiling embellishments, adding art would only make the room more chaotic.
3) Appropriately sized furniture. The floor lamp, chair and armoire are so tiny that they simply engulfed by this room. Besides the sofa, which should be oriented to face the fireplace, there's no place for anyone to sit, so some comfortable chairs are a must.

Will all the great suggestions you're getting I am excited to see what the room looks like after you have completed your make over.
0 Likes   June 26, 2014 at 11:27AM
decorgirly
a lamp like this Blu Dot Perimeter Floor Lamp, White / White and oversize art will help. Abstract Tree Canvas Artwork
is the doors and room circular or am I just seeing things?
2 Likes   June 26, 2014 at 11:36AM
Marsi Black
The answer really depends on you and what YOU like and are comfortable with. If you have some collections (books, glass pieces, sculpture, family photos, etc.) then bookcases are the answer. If you are not a collector then a large bright dramatic artpiece is the answer.
0 Likes   June 26, 2014 at 11:54AM
zweiback
Guitar theme...
0 Likes   June 26, 2014 at 12:35PM
zweiback
Alternate music theme, with shelving for bar, or books, or cd's or photos, or ? ? ?
1 Like   June 26, 2014 at 12:36PM
Meet Me at the Wrecking Ball
Lean or mount a big-ass wall-size mirror with a modern frame--then place an airy console in front of it.
0 Likes   June 26, 2014 at 12:44PM
zweiback
Or more Marilyn….
0 Likes   June 26, 2014 at 12:46PM
zweiback
Or maybe a nice cabinet...
1 Like   June 26, 2014 at 12:46PM
Wendy Hamilton
I agree with pennyberry. It's too pretty a piece to be placed where it is. I also like Vango's art selection.
0 Likes   June 26, 2014 at 1:03PM
decorgirly
Melissa- turning your couch around so the back is facing the wall with armoire will help
1 Like   June 26, 2014 at 1:42PM
Phyllis Bent
You don't need a new floor, just include the turquoise color in your accent wall or in some wall art. It is would be too expensive to change the floor and it is beautiful so do something to enhance it. The orange and turquoise are good together...
1 Like   June 26, 2014 at 1:54PM
Phyllis Bent
John Nieto's "Medicine Man" would bring it altogether. Check it out at www.nietofineart.com
0 Likes   June 26, 2014 at 2:21PM
Lindsay Cowles LLC
Hi Melissa! I am an abstract artist based in Richmond, VA and ship all over the country. I produce prints on stretched canvas, as well as original oil on canvas paintings. I would love to have the opportunity to work with you on art for your home! I have been voted one of the top 25 emerging artists to watch this year by Art Business News. Attached are a few paintings. If you like what you see, please check out my Professional Houzz page and email me at lindsaycowlesfineart@gmail.com. I would love to work with you!
1 Like   June 26, 2014 at 2:25PM
happyleg
Is the tv in the cabinet? Turn couch around for tv & fp.
0 Likes   June 26, 2014 at 6:24PM
Ann
While I love the big canary grover posted (I do love that art!), I'd choose a big abstract with the teal and rust of the room. I love your room and think it will be perfect if your really pull those colors together with your art. In this case, I think the colors of the art are almost more important than the art itself.
0 Likes   June 26, 2014 at 7:20PM
hme75
I really like Judy Paul's paintings and collages.

www.judypaul.com
1 Like   June 26, 2014 at 7:37PM
Ann
Love the colors of the second one posted by hme75!
2 Likes   June 26, 2014 at 8:32PM
Nancy Kempf Fine Art
I would take Marilyn off the fireplace wall. She would be wonderful on the same wall as your cabinet. Then you can create something spectacular on your wall. I would go with an Andy Warhol look by using 6 to 8 prints, same size, same subject matter but in different colors. I'm sure you might even be able to buy Warhol prints on canvas so you can create some depth. By doing this you will repeat the same design as the cut outs in your architecture. Fun project!
0 Likes   June 26, 2014 at 11:05PM
Urban Modern
something more edgy?
1 Like   September 15, 2014 at 3:50PM
Need wall art advice - animal x-ray project
I promise this is not a duplicate thread! I am in a...
ades12345
Need advice on placement of art work
This is in the family room on a short wall (12-1/2')...
joyuhl
Need paint colour advice for north facing art studio.
I have taken over a small bedroom in our new-to-us...
Shawna
Advice on main wall art - is 48" x 24" too small?
Hi folks, My husband and I have fallen in love with...
rbonchek
Want advice on the best white board paint for walls for kids art space
There seem to be a lot of products out there. Anyone...
mcnaughk
How to integrate antique leaded glass panels in window that will open
We just purchased a 1920s arts and crafts home. We...
landlock
Bedroom Design Help
Hi! I recently re-did my teenage daughter's bedroom,...
simerjit
rredpenn
Can anyone tell me what style my house is from this photo?
Hi I am beginning renovations on my home and I would...
jillsawatyzky
Sauce Eggplant Chandelier Challenge.
I have made a deal with the devil. Well, not the devil...
toatsmcgoats