My bungalow Curb appeal advice
soniadaniel
Please help! We have a 1950s bungalow that a lacking in curb appeal, any suggestions would be amazing
soniadaniel
I don't know what to do with the railing color and style. And landscaping has me stumped as well!
June 13, 2014 at 10:03AM   
Dar Eckert
Your house is wonderful, very minimalistic. I don't think you need to change anything except for the walkway, it just dead-ends. Continue the sidewalk to the street. Also add a matching tree on the other side of the windows.

June 13, 2014 at 10:36AM     
Wild Infusion
I think if you put some garden in this will make a huge difference... have a look a the difference here....hope this helps...Robyn
June 13, 2014 at 10:46AM   
yvonnecmartin
I think that a tall grass plant on each side of the big window would look great. Karl Foerster Calamagrostis, if that would grow in your area. Don't plant anything tall under the window.
June 13, 2014 at 11:05AM   
Wow, you have a great space. The entry door and sidelights really refer back to the window form and make it terrific. The railing is fine but could go softer in earth tone to blend back to the house more . . bronze instead of black would do a lot. Take the oil rubbed bronze spray paint to the old mailbox form as well and replace . . I like the idea of a pairing in tall planting on either side of the main window, but instead of continuing the walk, I would plant a massing border in front and down the side of it - something evergreen that you could form when trimming - nice and square and neat. The one thing that I would really like to see changed is the entry light - it is a very traditional form, and your home has some prarie lines and echos prarie style. So I'd like to see a modern prarie / frank lloyd wright sort of light fixture . . . here's one with something of the lines you have going . . http://www.lightingdirect.com/quoizel-hc8411-fl-hillcrest-1-light-energy-star-outdoor-wall-sconce-with-opaque-linen-glass/p312738
I would grow something low under the windows to hide the white window that doesn't match - a 3' groundcover would do it though . .
really a lovely home . .
June 13, 2014 at 11:23AM     
Quoizel
I have to agree...a very lovely home!
June 13, 2014 at 12:20PM   
Angel18432
Lovely house and even nicer front door. Would put up a larger, bolder lite fixture. The present one looks very dated and small.

Then I would cut out some more flower bed in front of window bed and patio stone landing - with curves. You have too many straight lines going on. Hope you understand what I mean.
June 13, 2014 at 12:27PM   
waleis
It is BEAUTIFUL. I love the style and scale.. Wish I had the floor plan and the house. Agree with the tree on the right, balances it.. Bride and Groom topiary trees. Is this in a walking around, meet and greet your neighborhood area? IF it were, I would add a circular seating terrace in scale with 4 chairs of the same era as the style of the house connected to the sidewalk. As for paint colors, I would do some research and select from colors to the age and style of the house. Black does look a little harsh. I would use cut stone in same colors and or stamped concrete colored with one of the stone colors. Some blooming flowers would be nice, maybe in pots to change out with seasons. Of course if this is on a very busy noisy street, I would not do the terrace flower thing.
June 13, 2014 at 4:38PM     
MarleneM
You need landscaping more than anything, except the railings, they are too dark. I'm assuming the walkway steps down to the driveway. I would extend the flower bed around the sidewalk as already suggested, even if you don't fill with plants, add mulch. Add plants and shrubs that have chartreuse and purple leaves also as the will really stand out against the house.
June 13, 2014 at 5:05PM     
MarleneM

An example of multi coloured plants.
June 13, 2014 at 5:31PM     
scubafiend
Have you considered a seating area? Even just a pair of Adirondeck chairs might be nice and add some curb appeal. I would add more plants. It depends on if you want something to obscure the view from the window or not. Bamboo in planters on each side of the window might be nice too... Very nice place!!
June 13, 2014 at 5:44PM     
All About Blinds & Shutters
Exterior shutters are a great way to increase a home's curb appeal. You would be surprised at how many homeowners find a small addition, like shutters, to go a long way for the their home. This blog will help explain why exterior shutters may be a great option for you. Hope this helps! http://blog.allaboutblinds.net/your-guide-to-exterior-shutters - All About Blinds & Shutters in Jacksonville, FL
July 9, 2014 at 10:34AM   
architectrunnerguy
With all due respect to All About Blinds & Shutters, the style of this house is entirely inappropriate for shutters. The house evokes Frank Lloyd Wrights prairie style and that style employed as many shutters as Mies did.......zero.

I like the landscaping suggestions above.

Regarding the rail, I'd take it off completely. If you're less then 30" to the ground you don't need a railing and you look less than that and it looks safe.

To provide some kind of stoop definition I'd go with two Wrightian (is that even a word?) planters on the two front corners. Photos below.

Also, research prairie style light fixtures and mailboxes (if the mailbox has to go there. If not put it someplace else)
July 9, 2014 at 2:22PM   
Integrated Design Studio, Inc.
I recommend the introduction of a walkway connecting to the street, using matching materials of your entry/porch. To further accentuate this idea, introduce a hint of the architectural character of the house near the street. This could be in the form of low brick columns flanking the new walkway with the planters (similar to those listed in the posting by ARCHITECTRUNNERGUY) atop them. This would spice up the curb appeal while in character with the prairie style of your home.

I also recommend adding a narrow planting bed in front of the house, running from the existing landing/walkway to the right side of the house. Put a simple bold row of shrubs that might be maintained at waist high with lower colorful bedding plants at the ground plane. This would help with the scale of the house and provide some visual relief to the basement windows (helps provide some privacy from within).
July 9, 2014 at 2:58PM   
Sara De_Jesus
DOOR: Paint your door a bold color. Currently, it just blends into the scenery of your house façade. (P.S. I love the lines of your home. Really beautiful). Try a dark blue-grey, approaching gun-metal grey tending towards blue, to counter-balance the general brown tones.

LARGE TREE: Also, I'd add a very large tree, the biggest Black Pine you can afford, for the minimalist look, or something sinewy and wilder looking like a Russian Olive, to reduce the minimalist feel. Something to eventually, when it is grown, add an amazing presence to your home. Be carefuly to choose the spot based on how big it will be eventually, not how pretty it will be NOW.
July 9, 2014 at 4:36PM   
Need advice to add curb appeal to my house
Hello, this is my first home... And I'd like to add...
Need Curb-Appeal Ideas for Modest Bungalow
I will be putting this 1-bedroom house on the market...
Curb appeal for 1945 Spanish bungalow in Florida
I need to add curb appeal to my sweet little house....
White bungalow needs more curb appeal
Can I improve curb appeal by painting trim a different...
Furniture placement for long living room
I am ready to start making over our boring living room,...
10 ft or 9 ft ceilings PLEASE help!!!
We are building a 3500 sq ft house with a two story...
Suggestions for bathroom mirrored medicine cabinet
Replacing large mirror over double sink vanity with...
Kitchen help please
My kitchen cabinets were installed recently and I'm...
Need a waste paper bin for spare bedroom.
I have a new house and am setting up the spare bedroom....