Am I really going to silver leaf this dresser?
Sarah Miller
Hello! I'm in process of silver leafing the top surface of this dresser, and debating whether or not to do the whole thing. I experimentally whitewashed it in primer when I first got it, and there it sat for more than I care to talk about. When I see this photo I like the color it is, and am inclined to paint it a glossy light grey (probably with silver leaf on just the top horizontal surface). Because of the rough brushstrokes underneath, it's coming out a distressed finish and I'm getting into that. I'm discovering ways to push that look.

I considered white or off white with gold hardware, and though it might be beautiful, I liked it for about five minutes and got bored with the idea. The house is getting full up on gold, and I'm already planning gold elements above the table and the chair.

I'd also like ideas for the outside top drawer pulls. While I like their oval shape, I've never been convinced they belong on this dresser. There's something about their design up close that reminds me I paid $15 for the piece at a office supply sidewalk sale. It's a fun memory, however I wonder if a simple square or a better oval is out there somewhere.

The wall color isn't set (it's the default for the house) but painting isn't happening anytime soon. The bed is a tufted off white fabric. Please feel free to check out my ideabooks too, if you'd like.

Thank you!
Maureen
Can't see silver leafing both for the effect and the work. Borrow an electric sander. Take it outside (when it's not windy) and spray paint it very soft blue. With a rag, take some watered down white paint and rug into the indentations. If you can't find the right blue, paint white and add the watered blue. Add glass or antique knobs. You may need a larger mirror.

;
0 Likes   Thanked by Sarah Miller    June 13, 2014 at 1:44PM
Sarah Miller
Thank you, Maureen. A pale celadon is one of the options I've been considering, and I like the idea of ragging it on. Horchow had some furniture pieces covered in pale blue glass that were just exquisite. The color would also tie into the Asian theme of the table. I like your idea a lot.
0 Likes   June 13, 2014 at 2:28PM
Maureen
Fun project and it's creative vs purchasing a perfect new piece! Good for the environment as well. Good luck.
0 Likes   June 13, 2014 at 3:22PM
Sarah Miller
Thank you. Big budgets are fun, but so are small ones! Here's a larger mirror. Now I'm debating whether to put the blue/green on the dresser or the wall. I had been toying with greige paint eventually, but those blues and greens are stunning in seagrass. The wall is staying for now. Mockups and sleeping on it necessary.
0 Likes   June 13, 2014 at 4:03PM
Maureen
See pic for wall cover. Would be nice with your silvers/golds/blues, the print and the pillow.

0 Likes   Thanked by Sarah Miller    June 13, 2014 at 5:28PM
Sarah Miller
Pretty, pretty. Perhaps cork.
0 Likes   June 13, 2014 at 5:50PM
Where to end my kitchen backsplash
I'm looking for advice on how to place my backsplash...
Does anyone have experience with a copper bathtub?
I am remodeling my master bathroom and found a copper...
kitchen cabinets
Are Aspect cabinetry good cabinets
Fence addition advice
I have a 30' wide stone/brick that stands almost 6'...
Need advice on cleaning hardwood floors so they are sanitary.
Does the product Bona kill germs or just clean the...