Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
edubya

POLL: Freshly Featured Kitchens - June 2014 - Pick your fav!

Emily H
9 years ago
Gorgeous new spaces are featured on Houzz every day. We're putting six of the most recently featured kitchens up for a vote. Which one is your favorite?

VOTE and tell us about it in the comments!

Comments (50)

• lefty47
    9 years ago
    HI -- They are all very nice but there is a few things about each that I don't care for . The Canyon Residence kitchen is ok but then again still has things I would not have.
  • Sigrid
    9 years ago
    Plan TH is simple, airy and not overly ornate or pretentious. It's not my dream kitchen (I'm not sure I know what that is), but I could see enjoying it.
  • midmodfan
    9 years ago
    They are all too traditional for my taste, but I like the cabinet color of the Canyon Residence.
  • printesa
    9 years ago
    None of them are my style, but I voted for Santa Fe
  • Monique Barrow
    9 years ago
    For me they are all too traditional too.
    I love everything in the Santa Fe kitchen, except the cabinets. I really don't like all these railings, panelling, crownmoulding and vaulted glass doors. I'm a fan of a straight, modern look.
    But the dimensions and layout of this kitchen are perfect.
  • User
    9 years ago
    Most of them are too ornate for my tastes. Picked Plan M TH at Brambleton as the cleanest and simplest design, though would make a few changes:
    1. Use a shade of yellow or orange as the accent color, instead of turquoise
    2. Replace the round door brass door knobs with a silver level style handles that match the cabinet hardware.
    3. Extend cabinets to the ceiling
  • halper
    9 years ago
    All lovely in their respective styles, but I love the architecture of the Santa Fe Opera one. That arched window, wood detailing, and super cool octagonal skylight are so unique and distinctive, even though I'm not a fan of all those mouldings and panel doors. Surprised I like it so much since my architectural taste is usually pretty modern.
  • zweiback
    9 years ago
    none of the above!
  • User
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    Of all the choices I like the Norton Commons the best, but I'm not crazy about hand-scraped floors.
  • PRO
    Studio M Interior Design
    9 years ago
    Santa Fe Opera has got to be my favorite kitchen design above. It's stunning!
  • joanna pearson
    9 years ago
    nope, none are quite up to scratch and too much pretension or even chunkiness on one islands legs.
    wouldn't want any.
    lover of traditional and modern but these all look too expensive, and is it just me but the fashion for all these hanging lights above islands is irritating!
    islands are ubiquitous too and people talk about dream islands in the way I would talk of a carribean or wild scottish island..not a kitchen island!
    Whats wrong with an old wooden table or an industrial table instead?
    Up the revolution!!!
  • brouije
    9 years ago
    I think they're all beautiful but I chose the Brambleton because I like rooms that are simple and compact. Like the bright blue stools.
  • phoebe3
    9 years ago
    Norton Commons is the only one that is truly functional. Eating at an island that has a range or sink means eating with residual heat or dirty dishes in front of you. Mountain Home sort of solved that problem by raising the eating half of the island. H TH was my favorite for looks but not enough counter space and not having a place to put things fresh out of the oven was a non-starter. Using a drop-in oven/stovetop combination instead would have increased counter space and solved the issue of walking around the refrigerator with a hot and heavy dish.
  • ilikaimarina
    9 years ago
    Just an instant feeling and personal preference. This is where I wanted to sit at the bar, nibble rumaki and have a cocktail. The color palette, the raised bar not feeling like an island where someone would be dicing vegetables and the height if that ceiling with the beams. Very nice! When ARE cocktails being served?
  • rredpenn
    9 years ago
    yeah, in this poll, I wish there was a none of the above choice. Not one has wood (natural wood colored) cabinetry. Only one shows a working window over the sink! All have countertop eating and stools; not one has table height eating/seating. None of them look like any people live there.
  • gkneew
    9 years ago
    sorry, cannot vote for any. I prefer stained maple or cherry real wood. It's against my religion to paint wood!
  • charlotte722
    9 years ago
    The Santa Fe is elegant. Not the everyday kitchen. It is a "wow" kitchen.
  • wrbp
    9 years ago
    They're all lovely. Definitely not your average kitchen! My personal style is smaller and less grand. I LOVE painted cabinets. I've never had stained kitchen cabinets. Like I said, they're all beautiful.
  • wrbp
    9 years ago
    Oh I will add, I know it's been the trend for years to eat at a kitchen island but I really don't care for that at all. Usually everyone's lined up facing in one direction like they're at the old five and dime counter for a quick cup of coffee or coke. The stools are rarely comfortable and just doesn't have that relaxed sit around the kitchen table atmosphere I have to have. I know, I'm so out of fashion haha.
  • Rachel H
    9 years ago
    I voted for Canyon. I love the colors and the style, I just want to add some pendant lighting to it somewhere.
  • makaloco
    9 years ago
    If I had to choose one, it would be the Mountain Home Remodel because it's the least pretentious. But I'd color about half the cabinetry a deep red and eliminate the island seating (hate the stools), crown molding, and stainless appliances. It also bothers me a lot that there are no windows.
  • Luciana
    9 years ago
    None for me; they just look so.... American (which they obviously are!). This European finds them too unnecessary pretentious and ornate (but I guess that's a matter of personal taste and culture).
  • User
    9 years ago
    I wonder if Europeans spend as much time in the kitchen as Americans do when guests and extended family are over? From what I understand European kitchens are much smaller than those in the U.S. I know when I have people over, so often it is hard to get them out of the kitchen into more formal rooms. Our kitchens have islands and tables with extra seating and are much more than just a place to cook, they are another functioning gathering place.
  • fixitgirl
    9 years ago
    All too fancy for my taste. I live in a smaller city and you don't see too many like these.
  • Luciana
    9 years ago
    Bluenan, kitchen gathering is not American or European, it clearly is a world wide phenomenon regardless of the kitchen size! I'm sure a lot of people from different countries/ continents would agree with me on this point!

I don't think that American kitchens are necessarily larger than others around the world because of the function they serve. It is well known that Americans have bigger ...everything (especially houses, cars and body sizes :))). The large expanse of land and (not so large, considering) population density allow for larger dwellings, their interiors being proportionate to the size.

I think the other reason (for big kitchens) has to do with consumerism; it is also well known that competitive acquisition started in the US and then slowly 'infested' the rest of the world; broadly speaking, consumerism has little to do with needs and a lot more with "keeping up with the Joneses" ( who always seem to have a larger kitchen than their neighbours).

Anyway, my comment was in relation to the kitchens style more than their size. Btw, I found this site on American/ European differences, I thought it was quite informative in a rather simplistic, concentrated manner: http://www.eupedia.com/europe/cultural_differences_europe_usa.shtml
  • printesa
    9 years ago
    Luciana, that is a fun site. I can say that I've lived almost the same number of years on both continents and I can say that in general, those observations are true. Even within the US, we have a saying that everything is bigger in Texas. Like you said, it has to do with the amount of land we have here,,more space, means more house and more of everything. Whenever I go and visit where I grew up, the rooms, homes seem so small that I wonder how I had space for everything and how I could imagine that my room was sooo big, when in fact it was extremely small. It's all how we perceive it:)

About the comment made by Bluenan, in Europe family and friends come over almost all the time..not just for the holidays (many times without calling in advance, which is fine there)....if there are parties/gatherings/etc...the amount of food and preparation that goes into those is amazing..Even if the kitchens are small because space there is limited, somehow, people end up there either to chat or help out. It might not be very comfortable, but it works.
  • makaloco
    9 years ago
    Maybe the big kitchen scenario is regional or true mainly among people with newer, larger homes in the suburbs or country. Also, it seems that many people in the US now enjoy cooking as a pastime rather than simply doing it routinely, out of necessity. I grew up there and have never seen kitchens as large as most of those featured on Houzz. Small was the norm where I lived (midwest, New England), and still is now when I visit. The only kitchen island I've ever seen in real life is here in Mexico, in the home of a friend who came from the Pacific Northwest.
  • Monique Barrow
    9 years ago
    Bluenan, you are right; European kitchens are much smaller than American kitchens and that's just because we have less space, smaller homes and smaller kitchens ( I would love to have American sizes). But family and friends come over weekly, because the distances are much shorter. And with everyone less than an one hour driving distance from our home, we love to gather and prepare, cook and serve meals for many ( at least 20) people. In my kitchen of 18 sq meters ( which is pretty big for Dutch standards ) there's no room for extra seating or a table, we do not even have a separate dining room, just one living. With those gatherings people just stand all the time, helping in the kitchen, drinking their wine and talk or just watch all the cooking being done. No one minds, we're all having fun :)
    But... I still love the size of the Santa Fe.
  • shars55
    9 years ago
    They all look pretty, but not all of them are very practical. Who in the heck is going to hang a crystal chandelier in the kitchen to have to clean all time, not to mention open shelving? (and this is probably from some decorator who complains about knick knacks above the cabinets because they get dirty) I love the size of them, mine is big too, but when I have company we all tend to hang out there. I love the traditional kitchens, so most of them appeal to me, but I would have to vote for Norton Commons.
  • User
    9 years ago
    Wow, I didn't know a simple question would stir up so much passion...I'll take my size 2 body and go outside to my 24 acres of property.
  • Luciana
    9 years ago
    :)))
  • gkneew
    9 years ago
    I also don't like the counter seating. Not for some of my friends and family, who are elderly or disabled. They cannot sit at counter or bar stools. Something to think about as us boomers age.
  • printesa
    9 years ago
    Sometimes, a simple question can bring up a lot of discussions:) You are lucky to have such a large property. I've been looking to get somewhere close at least 10 acres, just to have as a second property and maybe get a few chickens and what now..still looking
  • Design2 girl
    9 years ago
    Sante Fe Opera is fabulous and yes, way overdone, but honestly, how can you not LOVE that ginormous roof conservatory window over the island!
  • pkatzzz
    9 years ago
    Why is it that Europeans often feel it necessary to contribute anti-American remarks to forums? I mean, this is about kitchens, for Pete's sake. Does it take so little to trigger their insecurities?
  • ilikaimarina
    9 years ago
    Lucian writes that she finds the kitchens too ornate and pretentious as if ornate and pretentious are not a quality you would find in interior design and architecture in Europe. Heck, they invented it. I think people as a whole should look at it from the standpoint of wise consumption of the world's resources. Opulent McMansions use so much energy just to light, heat/cool. (I have seen lavish homes only occupied by two people who tend to just use the master/den/kitchen). Should one use an exotic wood simply because one can afford it? Should one have such a large carbon footprint simply because one can afford it? What about the off gassing of chemicals in the home? Design decisions are a larger question than blue or white. I admire the recycled materials that continue to enter the market (though recycled materials being more costly the new is a problem) and completely functional /smaller homes that don't make the average family a slave to their mortgage payment. Yes, in America we have lots of land but the world is a shrinking orb with finite resources that countries vie for and go to war over. Uh oh...Russia has it's eye on Antarctica!
    Luxery/beauty/opulence have a price that goes far beyond the cost of that onyx counter in your jewel box powder room.
  • PRO
    Custom Craft Upholsterers, Inc.
    9 years ago
    The range hood is a must, we cook everyday!
  • backsplashideas
    9 years ago
    The Canyon Residence was my first pick, just stuck out to me more then the others did!
  • Lynda
    9 years ago
    I picked Plan H primarily for the white with turquoise. I'm not crazy about the layout, and definitely don't want main sink (or cooktop either) on the island (though maybe a small veg prep sink).

I would push the design more modern, with high gloss white cabinets and a more colorful backsplash.
  • sliplips
    9 years ago
    Couldn't vote. I wouldn't have any of them unless someone also gave me substantial $$ for the needed remodel. Maybe I'd go with 'Canyon'. It feels like it might cost less to remodel than the rest.
    I'm rather surprised that this seems to reflect the general sentiment. I'm usually outside the mainstream and I was expecting people to be gushing about their personal "favs".
  • PRO
  • PRO
    Circle Goods Reclaimed
    9 years ago
    None of these had anything bold about them at all, and were all way too similar. These were all just very boring and bland to me, where did everyone's individuality go?
  • shars55
    9 years ago
    Circle, I have to agree with you here. Most of the kitchens on houzz look similar, white cabinets, wood floors, very little color other than white and gray, etc. in fact, a lot of the rooms look like that. I got the new Restoration Hardware catalogs the other day, I swear I thought it was printed in black and white at first.
  • PRO
    Circle Goods Reclaimed
    9 years ago
    Shars55 it is printed in black and white, as those are the only two colors the human eye now identifies indoors! I was just hoping in a poll of which kitchen we liked more we would have more than one option. I just want to see someone break this trend and have people go back to doing things they like and thinking for themselves. We are all so worried about what everyone likes and resale value that people forget the home belongs to them.
  • Jessica Kerry Mack
    9 years ago
    I voted for the "Opera" one because I love the sunlight that roof lets in. However the only one I'd actually want to cook in is probably the Brambleton Plan H one. But none of these kitchens have something I consider essential in my kitchen. A bookshelf for my favorite cookbooks. Yes, I know many people are looking recipes up on the internet now and maybe a spot for a laptop or tablet would make more sense. However, I have been collecting cookbooks since I was old enough to use the oven with Mom's assistance. I have dozens many with marked pages of family favorites. I can't imagine having a kitchen where I can't grab one when I want it.
  • rugrats3
    9 years ago
    An interesting assortment of kitchens of which none excite me. Since I see most others agree with me or at least are struggling to find something to compliment on, was that your plan? Lol
  • shars55
    9 years ago
    Circle, I couldn't agree more!!!! Everyone is so worried about what's on trend, they just go with the herd and don't do what they love.....unless they love black, white and shades of gray. I wonder if because that's all they see out there, then they think they love it. But when the next new trend comes around, they suddenly love that! Jessica, I also agree with you! I have my cookbooks one of my counters........I use them all the time!
  • Patricia Dowd
    9 years ago
    I voted for the only one that did not have stainless steel appliances! I HATE stainless!
  • Kathryn Gomez
    8 years ago

Not crazy about any of them. I do not understand what people see in wood cabinets. If you cook as I do and spend as much in the kitchen, you would know that in spite of the best range hood, the cabinets near you stove get very greasy and are very hard to clean, and then there all those little edges to deal with. My dream... a kitchen full of Scavolini cabinets. Smooth surfaces and a totally modern look.