How should I finish my living room?

emaxonJune 13, 2014
Renovating the living room has taken a long time but it's finally down to the fun stuff! We removed all of the tacky wallpaper from the 80's and we have repainted the room. My husband and I recently purchased some great furniture and we are ready to really get decorating. Trying to find an easy accent color and ideas for a style to run with. Any ideas would be helpful!
MarleneM
Looks like a nice lg room for entertaining/media room. What r u looking for. Rug, window coverings, art? Just wondering about the black sofa beside the FP, seems out of place there. If there is room, I would angle it in front of FP. If not, replace with two chairs.
    Bookmark   June 13, 2014 at 6:58PM
emaxon
The black sofa will be sold at some point, we are not keeping it. We are looking into rugs and wall art and such. Not sure if we should go light or dark rug. Plus the fireplace has a lighter shade of wood, not sure how to make that work.
    Bookmark   June 13, 2014 at 7:39PM
Jill Malagarie
These are two color schemes you can go with both of these you will be able to incorporate the wood on the fireplace & corner glass cabinet.
    Bookmark   June 13, 2014 at 8:10PM
MarleneM
In front of the TV I think a darker rug with a lighter design in it. Some suggestions for you.
    Bookmark   June 13, 2014 at 8:31PM
cambridge101
Darker pattern rug paint out the heating vents don't call attention to them .are you keeping the track lighting ?
1 Like    Bookmark   June 13, 2014 at 8:51PM
cambridge101
That TV has to go some place away from window. Hang a large wooden pole up to celling with drapery panels each end make them two width wide a drag on floor, white linen an at least lined interlinked would be better,they will be heavy an look fuller.a brown tape are grow grain ribbon trim down the front an across bottom would be great.
2 Likes    Bookmark   June 13, 2014 at 9:12PM
emaxon
These are all wonderful suggestions and very helpful!
The track lighting is going to stay. We thought about it getting rid of it but added the two hanging lights to that strip instead.
We kind of liked the idea of being able to sit on the couch and be able to see the backyard but it does put the tv in an awkward spot. We have also been thinking about blinds but I think drapery would work better.
    Bookmark   June 14, 2014 at 9:15AM
jck910
I think you need to work on a different layout before purchasing rugs. That TV looks awkward in front of the slider. You might need to make 2 seating areas: one near fire place and one with the TV hung on the wall behind the love seat. Switch the love seat to where the chair is and angle the chair closer to the slider where the love seat is now. Unfortunately buying suites of furniture makes layout more difficult.
3 Likes    Bookmark   June 14, 2014 at 10:19AM
erinsean
We had our TV in front of a window and it was convenient in how we had the furniture arranged. One day we moved the TV to a wall and how light the room became. I would rearrange if you can, and put the TV on a wall....maybe here the couch (facing the window) is now. Couch could be where the chair is and the chair in front of the window where the TV was. Tables arranged accordingly. Your small console table on the brown wall does not show up well.....maybe after you rearrange, it could be put behind your couch as a console table there.
2 Likes    Bookmark   June 14, 2014 at 2:36PM
cambridge101
Get rid of track lights . Add pediment to doors an wider casing to give height to doors. Paint vents to match walls.
2 Likes    Bookmark   June 20, 2014 at 6:21PM
cambridge101
Add crown molding at three pieces.
    Bookmark   June 20, 2014 at 6:28PM
RosemaryR
TV has to be moved, ruins the entire layout of the room.
1 Like    Bookmark   June 20, 2014 at 6:45PM
Barn & Willow
you need a nice , elegant drape to add some character to your room. Checkout our collection of belgian linen drapes @ barnandwillow.com
    Bookmark   June 21, 2014 at 12:16AM
emaxon
Hi all
We are still keeping the same layout but have added some rugs and color. We are thinking of putting tall bookshelves on the wall by the slider and making the other wall area by the fireplace a seating area. Maybe a a gaming table or something.
    Bookmark   June 25, 2014 at 6:22PM
MarleneM
emaxon, your room looks so much cosier now with the rug, and I like that you added blue. And yes, add more seating at FP, but have it facing FP, not along wall.
    Bookmark   June 25, 2014 at 10:10PM
Help! How should I update my living room?
Need an update, not sure what to keep or replace??
jraffield
How should I finish my fireplace?
It looks a little lost. Should I do a shelf or surround...
fionn_anne
Help! How should I light my new living room?
http://pl.an/aol2n9 The link above "should" take...
kludlow
How should I finish my dining room?
I am working on pulling together my dining room. I...
anniehaff
How should I arrange furniture in my living room & tie it together?
I love our new couch (haven't had a chance to paint...
utgu
window shutters or blinds
Our Great room is south west facing and during the...
mariachambo
Homemaker
I need help knowing what to do with the awkward design...
gailpulley
Color combination in the kitchen
Would it look good to put white quartz countertops...
Robin Ruf
Suggestions on paint for my house
We are renovating our 30 year old house. The exterior...
leenet13
What is the best paint to re-paint our exterior stucco walls?
The last painter used an elastomeric paint. I think...
leenet13