I want my breakfast Bar to go away!
anne61
I have a breakfast bar, it is long ,narrow with granite top,sink is incorporated to it as well as cabinets on either side of sink. It is never sat at it is used to drop everything on top of it. I want to rip out all of it and replace it with a useful Island that can be used to sit at,cook cabinets and sink. Since plumbing is in already this can be done yes? I will be redoing floors too so ripping it out no problem.
sstarr
Do you have enough space for an island? If so, then yes.
June 14, 2014 at 8:50AM     
anne61
Starr, yes I have plenty of room. It keeps coming back to how much will it cost to build a new Island but we are in planning stage. I actually have a small Island in this kitchen too. I am thinking getting rid of breakfast bar and small Island incorporating just one Island with sink we can sit at if we want or grandkids can while I cook.
My kitchen opens up to large family room so plenty of space. Never remodeled anything before, we built this home about 12 years ago. Now empty nesters...so it should be fun?!
June 14, 2014 at 9:03AM   
anne61
Thank you sstarr by the way for commenting.
June 14, 2014 at 9:05AM   
Maria Smith
Yes, do it you will be so happy, incorporate space into the island for the stuff that gets dumped on top of it, including electricity for phone charging, stuff will continue to get dumped on the island, but it will be easier to clean it off if there was designated hidden space for the stuff. (Preparing to start a project, wipe down island, have stuff in hand that has to go somewhere but not on island, walk around with it in hand, distracted, project gets late start)
June 14, 2014 at 9:22AM   
sstarr
Oh you're welcome anne61! Have a look at designs on my profile page for some ways that others have incorporated islands. If the concept works for you, then go for it! Standard clearances are at least 42" all around, and about 12" overhang for stools. S*
June 14, 2014 at 10:35AM   
Fireplace Dilemma
In the process of finishing the stone work on our fireplace....
What would you do with this kitchen/dining room?
It's a beach cottage type of house but definitely needs...
I need ideas for chairs to go with a table i fell in love with
Here is the table. Medium brown /w/ a golden swirling...
Under cabinet hood or range hood ??
Please guide me what will be best option to put hood...
Kitchen wall color
Would love to repaint my kitchen walls but need color...