Window treatment design help
Debbie Miles
See the picture and notice there is a huge ceiling beam that crosses the bay area. The windows (side) come right up to the beam making it impossible put a rod across windows. Middle window is about 108: making a shade or blind not good option. Also don't like curtain attached to the beam and closing off the bay area. Any ideas. Thanks
The fact that there is already an installation of the vertical blinds tells me there is room to replace them with something else. Do you need privacy or just softening/styling of the windows? Matchstick or bamboo blinds aren't a bad choice and wider sizes are available. You can probably get them at your local big box hardware store, custom cut. For softness you can have a custom fabric cornice made that would attach to the ceiling above the windows, or you could hang panels from a ceiling track. My preference would be to hang stationary panels by mounting a rod on the beam so they would simply flank the entire window. They wouldn't be operable because to close them would require too much fabric to stack back right and left. Here you see the concept but without the bulkhead/beam in pic #1. In a more modern direction, you could simply replace the verticals with sheer romans as in the last pic.
Breakfast Room 1wilmington
Weston Residence
Breakfast Room 2
Bucktown Beauty
June 15, 2014 at 7:35am   
Debbie Miles
Great ideas. thanks for your time and energy. I love the idea of hanging stationary panels on short rods in the corners of the beam and coordinate them with panels between windows. That does sort of call for shades or blinds which client doesn't want.
June 15, 2014 at 8:09am   
Patricia Colwell
How about roman shades, you could have 2 in the center window they give a nice finish to windows in a bay.
June 15, 2014 at 8:53am   
Debbie Miles
yes, those do mount from the top so less stress with two shades. There are three separate windows 36' each but I just think that's too much weight for a shade and it will eventually break. Thanks
June 15, 2014 at 9:08am   
laurakdesigns
I would use Silhouette blinds and try to hang panels on each end for some color
June 15, 2014 at 9:27am   
laurakdesigns
If you purchase from a reputable shade company, they mount two or three shades on one header and they work just fine. Go with quality like Hunter Douglas and you'll be happy.
June 15, 2014 at 9:58am        Thanked by Debbie Miles
Debbie Miles
Yea I really like the idea of blinds. Thanks
June 15, 2014 at 6:27pm   
peeb
I have windows like yours. I put plantation shutters on (4" slats) and love them!!
June 16, 2014 at 10:01pm   
Debbie Miles
Could you attach a picture, I'd really like to see the look! Thanks very much!
June 17, 2014 at 6:41am   
leemiller
I have a similar issue, except my windows are just ridiculously long and sort of wide
but not so tall.

June 17, 2014 at 12:31pm   
leemiller
Well I can't post the photo I wanted, but I love the idea of shorter drapes and shorter rods. I also like the idea o a custom cornice which could be used to add some height to the windows.
June 17, 2014 at 12:31pm   
Debbie Miles
yep, I think the stationary panels mounted to the beam in the corners will address alot of design issues. Thanks
June 17, 2014 at 1:24pm   
peeb
Debbie, sorry this took so long - I haven't been on Houzz for awhile. Thus isn't a great picture but should give you an idea.
July 18, 2014 at 11:28pm   
Debbie Miles
Thanks for your post! Alot of people love shutters, but I think my taste is too traditional and the quality ones are so expensive that it would cost too much for these windows!
July 19, 2014 at 5:54am   
peeb
I have a pretty traditional home and they work well, but you are right, they are expensive!
July 19, 2014 at 3:14pm   
Why is beige so difficult?
Hi. We just bought a retirement condo we love. I am...
paint color
How should we approach deciding a color for a steel...
Odd laundry landing area
Live in a condo where the laundry is in a closet on...
Help me Re-Style the Mantle & Bookcases
OK, it's the age old problem....the mantle and bookcases....