New wood floors
manray800
Hi, I live in old art deco building in Manhattan. I want to replace my hard wood floors. Mostly this is for aesthetics but my current floors also squeak. I'm thinking wide plank oak but not sure beyond that. Any suggestions or guidelines? What about engineered wood?
Midland Home Hardware Building Centre
Are you replacing the floors in the entire house?
0 Likes   June 15, 2014 at 7:26AM
manray800
It's a one bedroom co-op apartment. We plan to replace them everywhere but the kitchen and bathroom. Probably 700 square feet total.
0 Likes   June 15, 2014 at 7:49AM
Midland Home Hardware Building Centre
What is currently in your kitchen and bathroom? If your floors are squeaking it tells me that the subfloor is plywood or the like, you can request the installer rescrew your subfloor before installing new flooring. I have a few ideas for you. The first two pic's are 30"x30" tile pc's that would work beautifully as an entire floor to go with the Art Deco Architecture or as just an accent in a hallway or entrance, or layed out as an "area rug." Although the other pictures are tile, the same effect can be achieved with hardwood or engineered by choosing different colours in the same species. I'm thinking something along these lines...............
0 Likes   Thanked by manray800    June 15, 2014 at 8:30AM
Midland Home Hardware Building Centre
I am in love with the last three pictures, a series called Wow from Olympia Tile
0 Likes   Thanked by manray800    June 15, 2014 at 8:33AM
manray800
I like the upper right. We want to keep it relatively simple. Not a lot of movement in the pattern though we want it to look natural - not manufactured. Are there any absolutes in dos and don'ts in replacing the floors? Wood types, finishes, etc.
0 Likes   June 15, 2014 at 10:24AM
Midland Home Hardware Building Centre
What you need to really remember is that high traffic areas will most likely scratch if using a hardwood or engineered, depending on what you do to it. I get asked this type of question all the time and I always make sure my flooring expertise is honest and precise by continuously saying "it depends." If you're researching woods and see that some woods are harder then others (which they are.) That hardness is measure on a Janka scale as to the amount of force it takes to dent the wood, not scratch it. I'm very rustic in my design so I prefer the normal wear and tear, but it's not for everybody. To be honest, I'm a huuuuuuuge fan of Bruce Park Avenue Laminates as they are virtually indestructible (unless you have a large spill that is left unattended or a flood, because as we all know laminate is not good with moisture.) If you are set on hardwood then I would take a look at this fool proof engineered option; and by fool proof I mean almost bullet proof. It's called Performance Plus by Armstrong (also under the Bruce/Goodfellow umbrella company.) Gorgeous colours/species and features a 50 year warranty. The layer of hardwood on top is acrylic filled making it 2.5 times harder then regular wood and has a Super Shield top coat that allows the company to broadcast it is Scratch Resistant and Stain Proof. I was curious and didn't believe these claims when I first received the samples in our showroom as to how hard it was and had to put it to the test. I kid you not I had to put all of my weight on my hand holding a set of car keys while crouched over the sample laying on the floor to even put a tiny tiny scratch in it. This stuff is phenomenal and is a superior product by far. I have attached two pictures that will be close to the tile picture that I posted above that you liked. Might I also suggest having a slight linear or curved very dark accent through your floors? It's very Art Deco. I will find a picture for you and attach in another post to see if you like it.
Another factor that sadly a majority of my clients over look when having me quote or measure to have new hardwood installed is vapor barrier (underlay.) You can have the most exotic and most expensive hardwood ever manufactured that will fail quickly if a good underlay is not used. A quality underlay is just as important as the colour/species of your flooring choice as you want to have the best possible conditions underneath your flooring as well as the best possible choice for your homes decor. Manufacturers most often then not have strict guidelines for underlay and there's a reason. My go to underlay for laminates and engineered is QuietMaxx by Prosol (it features 100% natural mold and mildew protection, moisture guard, sound deadening and is infused with baking soda while being made to ensure antimicrobial protection for people with severe allergies.)
Another important Do is to remember that hardwood (engineered included) is a natural product and therefor will contain colour/grain variations, please don't forget this part. Salespeople, designers and manufacturers cannot avoid this.
As for Don'ts; Don't use a cleaner or polish that contains a wax on your new hardwood/engineered/laminate floor, it will dull the finish. Do not use anything but a dry mop or broom to keep dust off and avoid steam mops as well as excessively saturated mops when needing to clean the floor. If you intend to or have area rugs please use a non-slip carpet underpad that is suitable for use on a hardwood/engineered floor. Do not expect a 'HARD' Hardwood to not scratch unless you're going with a flooring as I've suggested that says clearly that it is scratch resistant.
I could go on an on and on about this topic but I feel I've been long winded enough for now. Any specific questions? What type of wood species do you like? Have you researched different species? Is there any reason you would not go with an engineered vs a Hardwood?
0 Likes   June 15, 2014 at 12:22PM
Ideas for transitioning existing wood floors to new wood floor
I have removed 2 walls in my century home to make the...
1875beauty
transition old wood floor to new wood floor
how to blend my old wood floor with new wood floor
designerlookforme
Merging old red oak wood floor with new wood floor
My installer just finished my new wood floor installation....
silvipeter
Jennifer Reynolds
getting new dark wood floors, have medium color wood trim help
Getting new mullican solid hardwood floors. I have...
lladrocollector
Suggestions on Curb appeal/ garage or carport?
Curious what recommendations you all have for curb...
timglidden
13" RH benson pendants too big??
So I got a great deal on these 13"satin nickel benson...
timglidden
What kind of wood flooring would go with my dark kitchen cabinets?
Please help me -- We are remodeling our kitchen and...
newkitchherewecome
Should we tile around this modern fireplace or not?
We are adding a fireplace to our 1962 ranch house....
Jennifer Jackson
Powder room mirror
Are there any guidelines regarding the size of a mirror...
iteach613