Deck lighting - wired vs solar powered
stletc30
Hi All. Building a new deck. Wanted to find out options of lighting. The deck company charges $125 per light and a programmable transformer, that will cost $300. With step and cutting down the light fixtures to minimum, we are looking at $1200. That seems like a lot of accent lighting.
Should I just go with solar powered lights? Seems like there are a lot in market. Anyone has solar powered accent light and happy with them?
Thank you for your input!
Gina Owensby
I am interested in the comments you get about solar. I bought two cheap ones from Walmart just to get an idea. Love the look for ambient lighting and as an accent... At the bottom of stairs off my deck. Marks the stairs well. One is still working the other crapped out after a couple weeks. I know these were cheap and one gets what they pay for... But I wonder about the upkeep of solar?
June 15, 2014 at 9:51am        Thanked by stletc30
Sophie Wheeler
Solar is still crap for long term. It might last a season or two before it needs battery replacement, but that's it. There is no substitute for a proper lighting design using low voltage wired lights. You get what you pay for in that regard as well.
June 15, 2014 at 10:00am      Thanked by stletc30
stletc30
thanks for the feedback. Area where I live has street lights nearby and hence, it's not gonna be completely dark. lighting is more for the look than the need. Will decide in 2 weeks.
June 15, 2014 at 7:32pm     
Need help with layout and furnishing living room!
We are moving into a new house and have a blank slate...
Tv above fireplace
Hello, please let me know if I place TV above fireplace...
Ideas for dated kitchen in old cape cod
Hi everyone, Awesome site first of all. My fiancé...
Need help with dining room chairs!
Hi! I'm looking for help on picking our my dining room...
What should I do with right wall ?
Grass cloth recently added....crystal chandeliers came...