Need help making these wonky windows look better.
teadotoz
The curtains have to stay, but I had to tie them back because they looked too formal in our cottage style home. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated about what I could do. The middle window is lower than the two on either side. Is too much window exposed? Should I get a couple of paprika panels to hang gathered inside the middle window's curtains? Curtains maybe should have had color but I like to stay as blank canvas as I can so that I can change up my pillows sometimes.
dsdswssa
Hi, cute room. Maybe add another panel to even them out. If you decide to change the curtain to a darker pattern or solid. I would definitely paint out the window frame. The room may end up being too dark. Maybe a brighter colour on the pillows. Have fun!!!
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by teadotoz    June 16, 2014 at 7:08AM
bluenan
Hang a light colored woven shade above each window at the same height to visually even the windows. I don't think your drapes are too formal hanging straight down, I would untie them. I can't tell what material is used for the dado, but if it's not solid wood I would paint the dado a creamy white.

7 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by teadotoz    June 16, 2014 at 7:08AM
agid
Love the character and warmth you've already created in your space! I would add another panel in the large void you have there, and you could add a band/trim down the sides of each panel. It will give them a little punch! You could even put it on in a semi-temporary way, with velcro tabs, etc. so you could change out the color down the road if you choose. Paprika would be nice, or even a teal!
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by teadotoz    June 16, 2014 at 7:15AM
Too bad the curtains have to stay. I think blinds or shades under one single cornice that unifies the windows would look much better.
Modern in a classic Bungalow
Family Room 1
Family Room 2
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by teadotoz    June 16, 2014 at 7:30AM
teadotoz
dsdswssa- adding another panel sounds interesting. Love the woven shade idea bluenan. Not sure if shades are in the budget at the moment but maybe in the future .That is just panelling underneath. I may paint it. It had off white wallpaper on it for a few years. Love the band trim idea agid! decoenthusiaste-the blind without curtains looks good but not really my style without curtains. Not sure what you could even call my style really. Maybe country-boho. Thanks so much to you all for the great ideas! :)
    Bookmark   June 16, 2014 at 8:52AM
rainymorning
The drapes just draw your attention to those windows. I'd remove them to use in another room. Simple bamboo roll up shades should not be expensive or even short sheers to cover the windows for some privacy, to soften the look and allow light in.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by teadotoz    June 16, 2014 at 9:17AM
agid
Yeah, adding another panel would split the windows up evenly and create a bit more symmetry. And I think it's actually important to keep your pretty panels as they add a much needed softness and fluidity to the room, especially since you have the paneling and trim accents on the ceiling- lots of hard, straight lines.

Another cool option would be to even change out the rods to double rods. You could then have your cream panels with a colored and/or patterned panel BEHIND the cream. You then have a more layered look (which would be very country-boho :) ) and you would have the flexibility to change those out as you liked for a different look. They would just be peeking out as little or as much as you want! Like so...
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by teadotoz    June 16, 2014 at 9:25AM
teadotoz
Love the layered look idea agid. And rainymorning, that short sheer idea is something I am going to consider too. I spent so much on those curtains due to amount I needed :( But maybe they would work for the winter and with agid's layered look idea. I have posted the rest of the room. It's a really long room. If you have ever read the book "House of Belief", that's basically how I decorated. Like the result accept once again those dang windows.
    Bookmark   June 16, 2014 at 10:21AM
You could mount your curtains under a similar cornice - usually a very formal look. My concern is with the apparently low ceiling on the sides and drapery looking squashed and too shortened under the cornice. Are these 8' ceiilngs?

Bookmark   Thanked by teadotoz    June 16, 2014 at 11:27AM
Fratantoni Lifestyles
I think dark curtains could add a pop to the room!
    Bookmark   Thanked by teadotoz    June 16, 2014 at 11:34AM
teadotoz
decoenthusiaste- the ceilings are just under 7 feet at that lowest point. Fratantoni Lifestyles- I agree but I am stuck with these for now. I have some short ivory sheers that I might try for now. All these ideas are great though! I like the color binding on the pic you uploaded,Fratantoni Lifestyles. Maybe a small cornice could work.
    Bookmark   June 16, 2014 at 12:53PM
Urbanata/Steve
I don't see the windows as the problem, the long drapes are. Can they be shortened?
    Bookmark   Thanked by teadotoz    June 16, 2014 at 1:26PM
teadotoz
Urbanata/Steve- They could be shortened but I paid too much for so many to do that. I have some ivory sheers that are short that I may stick up until I figure out from all the advice on what to do that is budget friendly.
    Bookmark   June 16, 2014 at 1:46PM
U would not tie them back let hang. Can you just cover that smaller window totally. Might look better.
    Bookmark   Thanked by teadotoz    June 16, 2014 at 2:56PM
rainymorning
I wasn't able to attach the link, but you might be interested in instructions on how to do faux stained glass using paint that is not permanent. Looks rather cool. You'll have to Google if interested.
    Bookmark   Thanked by teadotoz    June 16, 2014 at 3:17PM
teadotoz
Of all the things I thought I wouldn't do, I am going to brave it and paint out the window like dsdswssa- suggested.....soon. I have painted out my kitchen windows finally after 25 years and it brightened up the room as they are small windows. The ceiling will not have those brown strips on it after my husband finishes the ceiling and I am wondering about the rest of the trim near the ceiling and fireplace. Will off white trim around those stones look weird?( see other pics below ) It is a scary step and along the hallway-(not shown) are stained barn style doors to the bedrooms. I don't want to paint them, so I wouldn't be able to paint the trim along the floor there because it would look funny. A strange room that has the hallway as part of it.
    Bookmark   June 18, 2014 at 7:04AM
rainymorning
Painting the frame of the windows would work. The trim around the fireplace wall should be the same color as the window trim. An off-white would look nice with those stones because you do have that color in them. Compare paint samples against the stones to see what looks best.It's really a charming room.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by teadotoz    June 18, 2014 at 9:34AM
teadotoz
Thanks rainymorning. I bought some paint called "White Chocolate Soufflé" that is almost an exact match to the walls. A soft off white sort of. I think I will start with the windows and the top of the wall. After the ceiling is done maybe we will need some trim up there the same color. Guess that end wall should have been right up to the ceiling but in the early 80`s I had pottery sitting up there on the shelf. (think " Country Living" magazine way back when.) I might see if my husband can bring it right up to the ceiling. Time to update even if it is on a tight budget :) This is scary lol
    Bookmark   June 19, 2014 at 9:15AM
Need some ideas on making my living room/breakfast area look better
I am interested in getting some ideas on how to make...
christykarlak
Help! How can I make the exterior of this house look better
Need Help with Exterior of house. We are not adding...
donnaconrad1
Need help updating, remodeling, and making better use of the master bath...
As you can see, this bathroom is about the size of...
LeAnna
Need Help - Window or corner cabinet? Take a look.
Hello All - Thanks for taking a moment to read about...
pearriverparents
How can I make this brick look better?
We just bought a house with a pretty sizeable brick...
sgreen18
Are Baker's racks outdated?
Need advice, are Baker's racks out-dated? I just put...
Karen Schulte Schnieders
Lighting a rectangle dining table
We are building a house and have an open dining room...
boggle320
a need for an inspiration for the home decor
I would love to change the color of our home, rearrange...
Sebastian Gloria Forjan
Please help declutter/redeisgn my L Shaped Living Room/Dining Room!
Hi Everyone! We've been living in our house for a...
Tania Orenstein
Something is off with this kitchen renovation... HELP!?
So we gutted our kitchen about a year and a half ago...
jennamsw