Wood chair rail with bullnose tile trim?
Rebekah Lowe
I am remodeling a powder room. This eyesore previously had a terrible beige toilet, that I believe was purchased from surplus or was a special order return that "MacGruber" got for a steal, and a very dated vanity that has to be from the early 80's. We plan to put in a nice white toilet and a pedestal sink to optimize the space. We are going to tile the floor and I would like to put in a chair rail for some accent. My quandary is I would like to use the matching bullnose tile to trim out the floor (as opposed to a white molding along the floor). I have found lots of examples with a chair rail and white floor molding, but not a lot of examples with a chair rail and bullnose tile trimming the floor. Attached is a lovely photo of our work in progress and a photo of the tile we are using for the flooring. Any thoughts either way?
Cabell Design Studio
Hello Rebekah,

Frequently with commercial projects we will take a floor tile and cut it in half to create a wall trim at the floor. This look is a bit contemporary and may not work for you, but it is a thought.

Best of luck,
Elizabeth Cabell, ASID, CID
Cabell Design Studio
June 17, 2014 at 2:11PM        Thanked by Rebekah Lowe
Deb Bayless - Design for Keeps
I second that motion. Tile can be cut and some tile collections even offer a sanitary base cove molding. By searching "tile baseboard" in Houzz, you can see several examples of using cut tile. A beautiful one in particular is this by Anna Berglin Design. I'm thinking perhaps an accent wall of color or tile as in this illustration might provide the pizzazz you are trying to achieve with wood chair rail.
June 17, 2014 at 3:47PM        Thanked by Rebekah Lowe
Rebekah Lowe
Thank you so very much for posting this photo, Deb! This is exactly the kind of photo I was looking for to reference. Apparently I just didn't know the correct search terms. I purchased the matching bullnose tile last night and was still conflicted about whether or not to use it v. a plain white molding (especially since the home improvement store had bullnose baseboard in their bathroom that looked terrible on their white painted cinderblock type wall). I opened my email to discover these responses...showing me that a bathroom can look incredible with the bullnose baseboard. I'm going to go with an accent wall rather than the chair rail.
June 21, 2014 at 10:05AM     
Deb Bayless - Design for Keeps
Off to a great start - :)
June 21, 2014 at 4:39PM   
Rebekah Lowe
Thanks all for your input...I know this is a bit delayed and we have not installed the pedestal sink yet (we discovered the toilet pipe needs some love...after the toilet was installed, of course), but this is a photo of the tile, which was really what this thread was all about! Oh...and I opted to forego the chair rail idea, because honestly it was really an effort to cover some holes made by a poorly placed towel bar. I sucked it up and patched those babies.
July 26, 2014 at 2:33PM     
Deb Bayless - Design for Keeps
Looking good! All in due time. Very tranquil and clean looking.
July 26, 2014 at 3:39PM     
Bamboo floors vs hardwood
Going to build a home. I have been reading pros and...
I need help choosing a backsplash.
My cabinets and counter were installed recently. I...
Casa 27- our sanctuary
Attached are floor plans of our dream home. We are...
4 inch granite backsplash to match countertop or not?
I am installing a new granite countertop in Bianco...
Please help with curb appeal/paintcolors/windows/trim
Hi Everyone, I have a 30+ yr old house in South...